What do Guardians mean to ANet anymore?

in Guardian

Posted by: Viralseed.9362

Viralseed.9362

I haven’t actively played the game in about 7 weeks. When I first caught glimpse of the upcoming rebalance patch, I was thrilled, though I knew I had to wait another month. I play a 0/10/30/30/0. When I first started it, I was focused on the group support aspect of the Guardian Over time, I switched to the standard full Knight armor build focusing in Altruistic Healing and on-crit lifesteal effects with Hammer as my primary weapon. That being said, I spam Hammer #1 for 90% of any encounter because it works (and that should not be the case).

Guardians are a solid concept profession. We have access to unique styles of play that I find more appealing than any other profession (not to say that I don’t play any other professions), but Guardian is also getting the short end of the stick in every balance patch. “Guardian got buffed,” they say, and it’s true. But the buffs a Guardian receives are lack-luster to the buffs other professions receive with every patch.

A Guardian aiming at any role will be less effective than at least one other profession in multiple categories. About half are better bunkers, most are better damage, most are better snares, a few are better healers, some are better at Boon application, and every, single one is better at Conditions. At this point, I would take a jack-of-all-trades profession over the Guardian’s current state. It costs too much of an investment to make a solid build, and there’s always a profession that makes the said build look like we’re wearing masterwork gear.

So now, if I may ask, what is the Guardian to you (ArenaNet and its players)? To me, it was every reason to log in and enjoy the events. It was a fun profession and I felt I could aid anyone in any group. Now, each profession is surpassing Guardian. Each class has solid builds in PvE, PvP, and WvW that triumph over the Guardian’s potential. You don’t seem excited to deal with their issues, or perhaps you are still unaware. Whatever the reason, I wish to know what (or if) you intend to do to improve us.

Note: Truthfully, I was going to make this longer, but I feel the majority of issues have been addressed here (Guardian sub-section) many times before.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

The fact that zerker gear is the best option for Guard just shows how kittened up everything is. When the game first came out using setups like mace and shield feeling like you can help the team stay alive was great.

Guard now is just a warrior with reflect

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

I am not sure they know any more. I really think its time for a direction change as far as who is doing the class balancing. Too much love is given to Warriors, they are constantly being looked at, and too little is given to other classes. The devs to not seem to like or care about this class. They are content with it simply because it can bunker in tournaments.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Posted by: Irsei.6802

Irsei.6802

I am not sure they know any more. I really think its time for a direction change as far as who is doing the class balancing. Too much love is given to Warriors, they are constantly being looked at, and too little is given to other classes. The devs to not seem to like or care about this class. They are content with it simply because it can bunker in tournaments.

Watch the podcast from this week…. the devs get all excited and giddy when they talk about warrior buffs… and guardians they seemed like they couldnt give a hoot and even forgot the symbol for one of the buffed skills… both of the devs forgot it.

But really you have to watch the podcast to really get the feeling…. they just didnt have any enthusiasm when they talked about guardians and couldnt get away from it fast enough… while warriors… man they were stoked! You can tell they just loved the class.

in Guardian

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

If that podcast doesn’t tell you what they think of the guardians right now, I don’t know what well. I mean if they couldn’t be bothered to even know what skill they were working on why bother thinking they put any effort into thinking of what this class needs to stay competitive.

Lets see:
1. some love for spirit weapons
2. Some soft CC
3. A better ranged option, (honestly less hp then a warrior, and we are stuck with one ranged and they get two nice options depending on play style)
4. Some more passive regen
5. The Zeal Traits
….

This list could go, but I won’t bother as it won’t even be considered. Every time I load up my guardian I feel like my Warrior is laughing at me and singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3xwDDLuLcY

I would say that odds are most developers are playing this class and I would be surprised if their guardians were just there for show.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

in Guardian

Posted by: Deathmond.7328

Deathmond.7328

in Guardian

Posted by: Reia.5270

Reia.5270

….
This list could go, but I won’t bother as it won’t even be considered. Every time I load up my guardian I feel like my Warrior is laughing at me and singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3xwDDLuLcY

True, fought few warriors 1v1 recently (WvW), I’m a slightly healway guardian. In most cases, both sides couldn’t kill off each other, but in the long run they did bring down my HP to a more dangerous level. I’m not complaining since they are damage dealers in a sense, however I would expect a Guardian can start to threaten a Warrior if the battle gets longer as we should have higher sustainability compared to warriors. Those warriors I fought rarely need to pop their healing skills, heck they rarely even need to dodge much, it just felt like they are no where near “threaten”.

No offense to Warrior players, I just felt that at current state of the game, in a 1v1 fight between Guardian and Warrior, a Guardian needs more effort to survive/win. A warrior can afford more mistakes in their moves, since they have higher HP to compensate (and generally shorter skill CD?), not to mention if all else fail they can escape and reset a fight pretty easily with their high mobility.

I will continue to L2P as a better Guardian, but I don’t know if any other guardians also share the same sentiments as me?

in Guardian

Posted by: Viralseed.9362

Viralseed.9362

While there is a thread for ideas, the point of my post is not to give ideas to ArenaNet. I have my own ideas for rebalance as do any other Guardian here. The point is that ArenaNet seems to believe Guardians are either perfectly fine as they are or that Guardians are the least of their concern (or the least tested) in a rebalance update. I’m asking what the Guardian is suppose to be anymore because it doesn’t have a role that any other profession does better. Every Guardian that plays on a regular basis knows the problems compared to other professions, and they make those balance suggestions here or in your thread (thanks for advertising, by the way).

I know there’s no dedicated tanks, healers, or DPS professions, but the Guardian can’t gain any ground on the other professions with each passing update. We’ve all seen how Warriors can bunker down without even trying to avoid attacks using passive regeneration alone. A greatsword Warrior can cause such massive damage if the attacks connect as well as a solid Eviscerate or Kill Shot. Guardians can’t manage to break those kind of numbers. Warriors have solid Cripples, Knockdowns, and Stuns at their disposal. Guardians have a few Immobilizes, slow-casting Knockdowns, and Wards which rarely allows players to roll through. Each of the above are all on longer cooldowns in comparison.

That is just against Warriors. Even Elementalists and Engineers can bunker down more easily. Mesmers can deal far more damage than Guardians and from afar. Every profession can dish out better Condition damage. Our strongest asset, Boons, requires heavy Boon Duration investment just to maintain Boons for a considerable duration. Even so, the best method for applying Boons, Symbols, have such a short radius that most ranged allies will not stand inside of the area at the risk of taking a hit. Guardians primary survival is based on applying Boons, and the best method is standing in that tiny circle which rarely happens.

Anyone can sit down, test each profession (especially the profession specific skills) and realize what each profession is capable of. The Guardian doesn’t feel like a solid profession anymore. Virtues lack power without a heavy investment, and none of the three really put out a strong enough effect in comparison to others. I just want to see Guardian go in a direction. Will it require more Boon maintenance while receiving better Boon application? Will it receive a boost in passive healing and maximum Health? Will our virtuous power allow us to truly lock down foes that get too close? I’d like to see ArenaNet finally decide on what the profession is meant to do.

in Guardian

Posted by: Irsei.6802

Irsei.6802

While there is a thread for ideas, the point of my post is not to give ideas to ArenaNet. I have my own ideas for rebalance as do any other Guardian here. The point is that ArenaNet seems to believe Guardians are either perfectly fine as they are or that Guardians are the least of their concern (or the least tested) in a rebalance update. I’m asking what the Guardian is suppose to be anymore because it doesn’t have a role that any other profession does better. Every Guardian that plays on a regular basis knows the problems compared to other professions, and they make those balance suggestions here or in your thread (thanks for advertising, by the way).

I know there’s no dedicated tanks, healers, or DPS professions, but the Guardian can’t gain any ground on the other professions with each passing update. We’ve all seen how Warriors can bunker down without even trying to avoid attacks using passive regeneration alone. A greatsword Warrior can cause such massive damage if the attacks connect as well as a solid Eviscerate or Kill Shot. Guardians can’t manage to break those kind of numbers. Warriors have solid Cripples, Knockdowns, and Stuns at their disposal. Guardians have a few Immobilizes, slow-casting Knockdowns, and Wards which rarely allows players to roll through. Each of the above are all on longer cooldowns in comparison.

That is just against Warriors. Even Elementalists and Engineers can bunker down more easily. Mesmers can deal far more damage than Guardians and from afar. Every profession can dish out better Condition damage. Our strongest asset, Boons, requires heavy Boon Duration investment just to maintain Boons for a considerable duration. Even so, the best method for applying Boons, Symbols, have such a short radius that most ranged allies will not stand inside of the area at the risk of taking a hit. Guardians primary survival is based on applying Boons, and the best method is standing in that tiny circle which rarely happens.

Anyone can sit down, test each profession (especially the profession specific skills) and realize what each profession is capable of. The Guardian doesn’t feel like a solid profession anymore. Virtues lack power without a heavy investment, and none of the three really put out a strong enough effect in comparison to others. I just want to see Guardian go in a direction. Will it require more Boon maintenance while receiving better Boon application? Will it receive a boost in passive healing and maximum Health? Will our virtuous power allow us to truly lock down foes that get too close? I’d like to see ArenaNet finally decide on what the profession is meant to do.

Its obvious they just dont know what to do because they dont play the class… this weeks podcast showed just how excited and how much the devs know about guardians….

in Guardian

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I think too many players thought this patch in general was going to be a huge trait update. That wasn’t the case.