Why did you make a Guard?

in Guardian

Posted by: Timston.1976

Timston.1976

I’m a guardian. When I started out ny primary purpose and goal was to protect and support my allies. Now I spam trueshot because lolz. Wtf. Why is this? Just leave a reply if you became a guardian to heal and protect your allies. And if you joined cause trueshot reply aswell. Basically it would be nice if people could respond with why the made a guard, and what they do with it nowz.

Guard main,Team pvp enthusiast, and all around Jolly fellow
bunker guard will live again, well, someday

in Guardian

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

cause i like dps and healz myself.

i do not like to protect and support others.

its even moar the class i wanted than when i started

in Guardian

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

I concur. But I also think we should have options, I prefer the DPS aspect of the Guardian (I started playing it because of the knight concept I always play in games). Right now the profession is pigeon-holed to DH, base Guardian needs to be buffed up ASAP.

in Guardian

Posted by: Indure.5410

Indure.5410

I’ve played a lot of MMO’s and have come to realize that heavy armor melee classes are almost always in a good spot because they are so easy to balance. Thus, I usually favor them and since I also need a little magic in my life I never choose warrior. Although I usually like being able to support others as well, it has always felt very underwhelming in GW2. I personally like the addition of the DH and from a support standpoint its nice to be on the backline and see how people are fairing, compared to me sitting inside the boss hitbox and using WW.

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

I wanted a class with a high skill cap.. Little did I know…

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Mace shield, guardian domes, shield 5, Spirith shield, sanctuary etc…. to play defensibly, a good joke at the end.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

At the time, thought it was the easiest way to get a PUG. Unfortunately, scrub PUG’s rely too much on Guardian support instead of dodge key.

in Guardian

Posted by: Akijo.7395

Akijo.7395

I wanted a Heavy armor, but I wanted magic too

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

I wanted a Spell-Sword that relied on positioning and movement instead of tanking face. I sort of still feel this is the case but at the same time, there’s a lot of issue’s. I’m happy because Guardian is still one of the only professions without strong passives that decide fights. At the same time, the active skills don’t make up for it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Scipion.7548

Scipion.7548

Like with any RPGs, I wanted a hybrid physical/magic class which is played mostly at melee range and that supports allies with buff and heal. Guardian was the closest to this description.

Now I play an archer damage dealer.
DH is fun but not what I expected.

(edited by Scipion.7548)

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

I like swords and I like support. I think I got what I wanted.

At least in PvE I really enjoy the mix of being glassy but still being supportive through blocks and stuff.

Bullet Punch

in Guardian

Posted by: Windyplains.4208

Windyplains.4208

I like playing a support character that enhances the people around me while being defensible on my own. I can appreciate the versatility that DH brings in terms of play-style damage, but I would have preferred something that made us better at the class the core guardian focused on.

And because they’re like a GW1 whammo. Who wouldn’t like that?

Rakgar Evenstride [Guardian], Rakgar Spiritcaller [Revenant]
A Dance in Fire [FIRE]
Jade Quarry

in Guardian

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I was looking for a group support/healer.
I’m still dumbfounded Ranger got my elite spec and I got theirs. O.o

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Just leave a reply if you became a guardian to heal and protect your allies.

Pretty much. I wanted to play a traditional tank.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I wanted to be a righteous class with selfish and unselfish attributes. What I realized later was, Guardian touched on so many aspects, like support, dps, sustains etc, that we were never truly specialized in just 1 or 2 things. That led to many weaknesses compared to other class. It’s why dps guard was never a viable 5th.

I love DH because a bit of these weaknesses were removed while some how managing to keep the core values of Guardian. Everything is unique about DH compared to other classes.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

My guild needed more stability for wvw fights. I played mostly warrior so guardian was refreshing to play every once in a while. Dragonhunter has brought so many new tools to guardians and its much more exciting to play now. New virtues make all the difference.

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Was bored of my warrior and wanted a similar class I guess. Been my main since a month after release.

in Guardian

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

I did my Guardian 3 years ago because of the LBow and how OP it was!

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: tappajabob.5983

tappajabob.5983

I made a guardian because that is what I am in real life too. Here is a list of properties that make me IRL guardian:

• I work to keep my team empowered
  • Strong belief in justice
  • Resolve to see things to end
  • Courage to act when others fail
  • Sick concentration ability
  • Sometimes meditate
  • Always use protection

in Guardian

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

I always play the holy knight archetype in fantasy MMOs (or healing martial artist, if available). Guardian fit that theme the most. I also usually tank and guardian seemed like a good fit for that as well. The Dragon hunter provided us with much needed DPS tools, but I can’t say that I wasn’t hoping for a specialization that focused more on the tanking/defending aspect. This is not to say we got no tools to help us in this area, just that most of the tools are clearly focused on DPS.

in Guardian

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I got my ele to lvl 43 and hated it. I rarely use heavy classes in any game, always mage rogue archer. Someone in map chat told me guardian was like a spellsword type class so I rolled it and hit 80. Funny thing is as much as I loved it, it became my least favorite class for a solid 2 years after that. Oddly even more, I hate ranger and thief in this game, retired mes and ele for the most part, and only play warrior engi necro, and I like dh a lot.

in Guardian

Posted by: phor.7952

phor.7952

I made guard originally because sword/focus made tearing through mobs in open world PvE child’s play. It was so easy to explore and farm with.

The leveling build fell completely short at endgame, and I didn’t like the GS builds at all… so I ended up rerolling Thief, then War.

Came back to Guardian to find a DH build that brought back a 3-button (low/no cooldown) combo that tears through open world PvE like butter… LOVE it.
It turns my Guardian into exactly what I thought a Ranger class should have been like from the start.

Just wish they’d make it a bit more competitive with Rev for PvE group play.

in Guardian

Posted by: Timston.1976

Timston.1976

You guys are gonna make old Tim cry. I didn’t think so many of you wished to guard and support your allies just like me. Can’t believe there are Guards left. You guys are awesome. If only anet made the elite spec With a two handed shield. And super support abilities. I would be so happy. Maybe we might even be meta. Someday. Someday

Guard main,Team pvp enthusiast, and all around Jolly fellow
bunker guard will live again, well, someday

in Guardian

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

I made my guardian because I wished to protect my allies by destroying everything that might harm them.
Too bad we can’t emanate more protection or regeneration through passive traits more than just through hammer (which is weak) and mace, because this concept fits a guardian more than guardian 2.0 (revenant) and his facets.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

I made a guardian because that is what I am in real life too. Here is a list of properties that make me IRL guardian:

• I work to keep my team empowered
  • Strong belief in justice
  • Resolve to see things to end
  • Courage to act when others fail
  • Sick concentration ability
  • Sometimes meditate
  • Always use protection

10/10

Bullet Punch

in Guardian

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

at first i made a human guardian (waaay before hot and dh) so i can interact with allies around me as well as npcs (via heals and protective utility)

I also enjoyed the feeling of healing,even tho its not that great.

Lately i made a new Norn guardian cause of :
-Blue racial skills
-tallest character model = Largest weapons in the game
-im doing a made up challenge in the shiverpeak zones only and being a guardian helps
-im working on getting all the spirit weapons, and a guardian can use all of them

Im not gonna mention dragon hunters..i didnt make a guardian so i can become dh

in Guardian

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

I made one because I didn’t have a level 80 Guardian yet and I was running out of classes to max. Guardians are pretty blatantly easy mode for surviving in this game, and I often get bored playing them.

in Guardian

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Guardian was one of my first five professions back at launch. I had no interest in it until beta, when I tried it and realized it was a lot more fun than WoW paladins. I built my first guardian to be ultra support and survivable, which means she has never done dps worth calling damage but she’s saved many a party from wiping so they could do the dps. (No, she’s not my main for instanced PvE any more, hasn’t been for a long time, but I learned the dungeons and fractals on her and she is my second full world completionist). She’s also had my second most detailed RP story lines and still would had all the ’vari players involved not moved on to other games.

Since before her I had been doing most of my PvE on my Thief, the lack of squish in a Guardian was such a relief.

I made another Guardian for RP reasons and to make a more dps’y build. He’s my first DH now (and not feeling as effective when DH as when he was a core Guardian, I need to figure out what’s up with that). He also has a lot of RP time logged. The ‘vari is a fierce fighter and a deep Dreamer with fanatic loyalty to the Pale Tree along with fairly simplistic ideas of good vs. evil. The human is a “selfish” Guardian, his powers working best on himself and his immediate vicinity, who was a bully when he first gained the powers until his folks tossed him in the military to shape him up. He’s also a cashiered Seraph, a lazy bum, and generally my attempt at going against the preconceptions of what motivates Guardians.

Short version: I made them because they are sturdy in game play and because I had RP ideas.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Whirling wrath!

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I made it for burn guard, because I like playing condi builds. I don’t play my dragonhunter much though because there doesn’t seem to be a strongman condi build for it.

I also dabbled with support and had a lot of fun with it, but I enjoy playing condi or hybrid builds the best.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I wanted a Heavy armor, but I wanted magic too

+1 this….

Which is also why my main is now a Revenant. High DPS, Heavy Armor, Boons, Condi.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Guardian

Posted by: TeslaRaptor.5197

TeslaRaptor.5197

I like brute force with heals. Tried Warrior and I liked it, but they’re too…hurr durr swing swing. (I honestly imagine Warriors are the football jocks of GW2) Guards definitely have a purpose in game, and I like how direct they are with it. They either heal/protect, or leave death and destruction in their wake. Very similar to Warrior Priests in Warhammer Age of Reckoning.

While there isn’t anything relating to finesse with Guards, there is a kind of art to how direct they are. I find that very appealing.

I find the idea of a geocentric universe sexually arousing.

in Guardian

Posted by: VanEinstein.5019

VanEinstein.5019

I made one initially just because of my interest in the DH concept. The core guardian wasn’t really all that interesting to me. Once I started playing DH and comparing it to the other classes I’d played, it just seemed like a natural fit. It doesn’t make me feel like I have to be a Korean Starcraft player to be passable with it. I dislike the low HP pool and lack of core mobility (without taking a staff everywhere and sacrificing utility slots), but it’s the only class I feel even remotely competent with at present.. err, of course that’s not saying much. I still feel like I’m being pulled in all directions when I go looking for helpful advice/information.

in Guardian

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

because I couldn’t make a monk

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in Guardian

Posted by: Beryl.1493

Beryl.1493

The greatsword skills, the ability to hit multiple enemies at melee range (I thought this was unique to Guardian at the time) and buffing allies with boons reminded me of the GW1 Dervish with all the different scythe skills, enchantments like Heart of Fury and some warrior shouts (Soldier’s Stance with Fear Me).

And Dervish is my favourite GW1 profession.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

The greatsword skills, the ability to hit multiple enemies at melee range (I thought this was unique to Guardian at the time) and buffing allies with boons reminded me of the GW1 Dervish with all the different scythe skills, enchantments like Heart of Fury and some warrior shouts (Soldier’s Stance with Fear Me).

And Dervish is my favourite GW1 profession.

derv ftw!