Why did you make your guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

Starting this thread so we can share some stories.
Everything, looks, race, gender, every detail.

I made my human female guardian for these reasons.
First of all, guardians defend, which is what I like to do, knowing I turn a defeat to victory.
Second, guardians are driven by faith, and I believe in that. You gotta believe in something.
Thirdly, I made it a female because faith can drive even the weakest of us to heights that no one, least ourselves, could imagine.
And finally, made it a human, because, in combination with being a woman, even a little girl could become a defender. And humans embody faith very well, and I am also a human myself, haha!

Your turn!

in Guardian

Posted by: PokerTuna.6170

PokerTuna.6170

Guardian cos I’m disappointed with elementalist and my secondary was alway a “paladin” type.
Human cos I like the looks.
Female cos ^ + cute chick swinging greatsword is the way to go.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

I rarely play the tanky classes, but the guardian just felt right. I was originally deadset on having my main character being an sylvari engineer, but neither the sylvari nor the engineer clicked with me. I played an assassin in GW1 and loved the build diversity, but I found the thief boring in comparison.

I love blue flames. I love using consecrations. I love the way plate armor looks in this game (way better than the leather). I love having a lot of weapon choices (even if some are lackluster).

I made my guardian female, because I like strong women.

Story time!

My character’s ancestor was born from a Elonan mother (paragon) and an Canthan father (ritualist). My guardian shares some of the same ethnic features from those groups.

Although humanity seemingly stands united, many of Krytas nobles maintain a distaste for those of either Elonan or Canthan descent viewing them as refugees. My guardian grew up in the slums of Divinity’s Reach as a result. Blessed by Kormir due to her ties to Elona’s paragons, she always remains true to herself.

(edited by Kasei.8726)

in Guardian

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

I made an Asura Guardian for a few reasons…
Role:
Always played tank/support classes in small groups (e.g. was a Blackguard in Warhammer, ran with healer + DPS gank groups) and I liked to feel helpful and needed. I loved the Guard’s CC, stability and condition removal. The group heals are a bonus.
Triple Meditation is also a guilty pleasure with Guardians, because few expect to fight one offensively oriented with surprising mobility. (Thieves beat us in ease of use and escapability, however)

Appearance:
1. Banish: 750 range blowout on a Norn with a hammer the size of a 500ml water bottle. Also hard to read (PvP reasons).
2. Zealot’s Defense: your Asura is airborne during the channel.
3. Heavy Weapons: on the move, Asurans make a tiny grunt as they prop the weapon on their shoulder and tilt their head forward to adjust the centre of mass with such a heavy weight. I find it endearing.
4. Stomp: nothing beats Asuran stability/blind stomp with the mid-air flip.
5. Heavy Armour: tiny little bugger that weighs a ton. Orrian set: Silver/Starry Night dyes + Arcing weapons are my current favourite.
6. Asuran Lore (somewhat): the two classes I feel legitly fitting the Asuran archtype are Mesmers and Guardians with their magical aspects.

Attachments:

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in Guardian

Posted by: Chew Magna.4830

Chew Magna.4830

Human because at the time I didn’t care for how slow Norn feel. Wish I had gone Norn for the tats and dreds.

Other than that… Steel bikinis.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pleurodesed.7625

Pleurodesed.7625

Well, when gw2 was announced, I was astonished. And the first thing that came to my mind was: “I hope they put a true cleric class in that game”. I was highly disappointed in last game since their cleric was a dedicated healer which was a white mage with also powerful offensive spells and a robe.

I crossed my fingers hoping they would make a class which fit this description:
-Holy crusader. Human cultural armor totally fits this.
-Blunt weapons. Mace, shield, hammer, focus and torch are 100% cleric. Greatsword and sword are paladin-like so it’s acceptable and scepter and staff are also OK since they feel like secondary weapons. Battleaxes, rifles, daggers and bows woudln’t be OK.
-Holy fire/ light / turn undead. Virtue of Justice, we’ve got it. And a ton of blinds too.
-Familiars. Or even better, spiritual weapons. Check.
-Consecrations, wards, sanctuaries. Got it. There’s even a pacifying skill in a tome.
-Holy tomes.
-Pure melee with slow attacks and heavy armor.
-High toughness but not as bulky as a warrior. Guardians have low health and there’s even cleric gear named Cleric gear.
-Support, healing protective auras. A cleric has all of those. Shouts, virtues…

I made a full support guardian on cleric gear. I’m so satisfied I’m surprised.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tristam Green.9178

Tristam Green.9178

I picked guardian first because, traditionally, I always went with a mage character, followed by a straight heavy DD.

I picked what I figured would be a departure from that role. Mostly, I’ve been right and have been pleased with that.

I picked a sylvari because I had a feeling Sylvari Guardians wouldn’t be too prevalent. Sylvaris seemed tailor-made for Rangers, Thieves and Necromancers. I’ve been pleasantly happy with that too.

Treant Reznor (GRD) | Phizixx (ELE) | Peter J Quill (THF) | Ninnymonger (ENG) | Carduus Nox (NEC)

[CERN] When Zergs Collide – Tarnished Coast born n’ bred

in Guardian

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

I created a guardian because i’ve always played the “tanky” class, or the one with sword n’ board, i even tried to change and made an engineer… but one can not hide from himself.
My guardian itself (well, herself, swords are always a “she”) is a reference from Game of Thrones, Stannis magical sword to be exact, translated to portuguese. Since we have norns and guardians are very close to the fire element, it thought it was fitting.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

(edited by Oxxy.7068)

in Guardian

Posted by: Dav.9152

Dav.9152

I made a guardian because I wanted to play a heavy armor class that offered more than mere weaponry to provide depth and diversity like the warrior. I mean this not to say the warrior lacks depth, but rather that I wanted a magic element included in my arsenal. Additionally I wanted something that leaned close to a support role. I chose norn because they are big and powerful. I also really like their independent nature and self-reliance. I selected female because they actually look athletic whereas the male models all just look overweight.

Live, learn, level up.

in Guardian

Posted by: Flintbrow.7985

Flintbrow.7985

My first guardian was an Asura, and while he was fun to play (I think Asura animations beat all), I couldn’t get past the tiny weps and the fact that I would loose sight of him in many group situations. I ended up re-rolling Human female (the males look super weird to me)……hate to say it, but I’m a lot happier with my character when it comes to looks. Who wouldn’t want to look at this while you play? After playing all classes, I’m still most taken with the guardian play-style. I enjoy a more balanced approach between bunker and glass, and while some would say that makes for “jack of all trades, master of none”, I really believe you can make a build that gives good damage, just enough defense as well as solid group utility. Such a fun class to play!

Attachments:

Neenu Waffler-Warrior for what once was the Toast-

(edited by Flintbrow.7985)

in Guardian

Posted by: Jax.5261

Jax.5261

1. Play Guardian
2. Aquire Wimminz
3. ?
4. Profit!!!

Guardians 4lyf!

in Guardian

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I didn’t know anyone else who played the game when I bought it, and I don’t make friends easily which is I always played GW1 alone and subsequently quit it. I knew, therefore, that I would be spending a lot of time soloing PVE content, so I wanted to play a job that would enable me to do it without endlessly dying. I tried Ranger and some other job, but it was Guardian that worked best for me. I have tried other jobs on alts and now that I am more experienced I die less on them, but when I am not playing my Guardian I tend to miss it. It’s just the job for me.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in Guardian

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

When I bought GW2 I read about all the professions and started to hesitate between warrior and guardian. Finally I chose a guardian because it fits more my character. I’m loyal and I like to play for the team.

Norn because they look awesome. And imo to choose a human in a fantasy game is just boring. If you get me, I can play a human all day irl :P

Female because I’m a girl. Tried to play a male character in another game and didn’t feel comfortable.

The night is dark and full of turnips.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jayw.1045

Jayw.1045

I made a guardian so I could be a heal-away and laugh at every single attempt to kill me and be op…. No that’s the truth. guardians best wvw class by far.

in Guardian

Posted by: Blazin Blunt.6908

Blazin Blunt.6908

First i started a human guardian, because i like to live long and prosper. Human because of the combination of the third and second tier armor, it is just to kitten nice to not to use it escpecially as a guardian. Then i started to like the hammer more and more but was very content with my guardian, so i decided to make another guardian a beast of the elements.
When you think beast you have only 2 options a charr or a NORN again based on the tier 3 armor with tier2 gloves i chose for the norn. Why is he the beast of the elements well he uses Mjolnir and Volcanus.

I will post pics of both later on when i get home or check some of my earlier posts…

Talic the Protector – 80 Norn Guardian
Blunt of Balthazar – 80 Human Guardian
Khan of Feurt – 80 Charr Necromancer

in Guardian

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

I made a guardian because it was one of the new classes of the game. That was enough reason for me. To me, seems like the guardian was Anet’s dream machine of hard hitting spell casting brutality. Works for me.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ludus Rex.1562

Ludus Rex.1562

For Justice!!!!

in Guardian

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I rolled guardian because it was the closest class to a Monk from the original series.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I rolled a Guardian because all through out the beta I was playing a Asura Elementalist.

All other MMO’s I’m usually playing some form of melee or hybrid and rarely play casters. DaOC it was Thane has my main, then suppression Spiritmaster. WoW it was a Paladin. Ret from retail then moved to holy in Cata, then finally Tank later on until I left.

I swore to never fall into the Melee trap again and pick a hybrid class but I did. Guardians can do a lot but very little can they excel at due to the current state of the game.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Becouse I like support (although I am 95% of the time full zerker, but it’s anet fault) and caster types (I hated the ninja ele). Also I like the ‘holy’ feel.

I do not have too much preference to gender, but I get male becouse it’s fits better to heavy armor type to me.

I’ll build up my necro too (most likely I’ll go 95% of time full zerker, but again, it’s anet fault, although, I’ll do a condimancer too). Becouse I like the dark feel too. When I nauseate the holy feel I can go to the dark side

An old pic

Attachments:

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

Wow nobody has mentioned this one yet – so I can carry pugs -.-

in Guardian

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

To be invincible. It worked up until omnom pies and vigor on crit got nerfed.

Maid Of The Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

I wanted to troll people by never dying. I made the wrong choice. I learned my lesson and have a 80 thief, now I never die unless I want to die.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

can also try the mace/shield regen war. You can troll harder and literally…never die.

in Guardian

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Because they’re awesome. That’s way I picked guardian. I generally don’t play melee, but I do always play support. The support person in any team usually is the person who determines whether your team wins or fails.

in Guardian

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

My main in gw1 was a ranger. In oblivion/skryim, I always rolled characters with bow main, sword for a fallback. GW2 comes out, and the ranger… sucks – HARD. Matter of fact, all ranged damage sucks, HARD.

So, my preferred main was a craptastic mess, because they’re only really viable as a beastmaster. I stop and say to myself “self, what’s the next best thing to being a skirmisher/survivalist type? Be a cleric/paladin – after all, self, one can never be self sufficient enough, right?”

Besides, having the name Riva Iron Grip, in heavy armour, with a flaming greatsword, fighting in melee and using magic? How more fitting is that? So, my alt became my main, and is far more generally useful than any other class. Damage, healing, group utility (condition clear and buffing) – we do it all, and we do it at least as well as anyone else.

So we lack a bit in condition applications – so what? We get blue flames. That’s right, BLUE FLAMES. Build a man a fire, he’s warm for a day; Set a man on fire, he’s warm for the rest of his life.*

I honestly view the guardian as the most balanced class in the game.

Later, eh?

Stale (previously Stale Bongwater, before forced name change.)

• - Tao of Prachett, according to Dresden.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

Because I always play some type of magical swordsman in every game I can. Be it Pally, Death/Dark knight, rune blade, battle mage, etc etc. Guardian is also the only character that I feel works with my play style, and also the only one that I felt I have really been able to master in a sense. Also, I played a ret pally in WoW since BC days… so damage guardian ahoy!

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Guardian

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

because you can faceroll and carry bad people through dungeons

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Most players make Guardians with high survivability, so I wanted to see if it was possible to make an effective burst Guardian, without loosing too much of that durability. Turns out it’s very possible, and very powerful. I made my Guardian a male norn because I wanted to look very big and menacing.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Guardian

Posted by: Karma Crimzin.5079

Karma Crimzin.5079

I made my guardian because it was the closest thing to a dervish I could get. Then I read the story about them a bit and I got into it and realized I like him more and more with every piece of armor I saw. Guardians defend the people and things that are important, I made him a char because what better way to defend something than being a giant fur ball of fury to viciously attack all who threaten the things you are sworn to defend.

Attachments:

Karma Crimzin – Guardian
Guild: Legion Thirteen [LT]
Server: Maguuma

in Guardian

Posted by: Istaf.1953

Istaf.1953

My main classes in GW1 is monk and hammer warrior. Monk by far, and seeing how there isn’t a monk in GW2 and how I like support classes more than DPS, I went Guardian. That simple :P

[RET] Medicalstaf
Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Guardian was my first character because I’m a solo gamer and wanted a class that’s relatively forgiving due to my bad dodge reactions/reflexes. And the Guardian seemed to suit my poor playstyle . Holy power was nice bonus and their Virtues looked cool with the three passive effects. Female simply because I usually like their models better, though GW2 found good options for both genders!

Switch to the present: I have leveled a bunch of other classes also to their 20s and while I like the Guardian itself, it feels slower in everything in contrast to Warrior (whom I made due to the female Norn cultural armor lol) and friends. Nontheless, I want to try going the hammer-route with her as I’ve come to like hammers and have gotten a bit bored/tired of the Greatsword (both with Guardian and Warrior, though).

in Guardian

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Well, I played a monk in Guild Wars, and the guardian was the closest thing to one, but without the dedicated healing route that I hated about the monk.
Throughout my entire time playing Guild Wars, I always tried to make a decent smite monk, and although I loved me dem Jesus Beams, however I could never really find that much diversity in build making. There was only one decent build, RoJ spam, and that’s it. Almost all of the Smite skills the monk possessed were very underwhelming. It honestly left me feeling very disappointed with that aspect of the profession.

Cut to Guild Wars 2, and the guardian was everything I had hoped for with the monk. A powerful holy warrior that can dish out some good damage, while still being helpful to his/her teammates. I may have switched to a full Meditations build with my guardian, ergo removing almost all of my support, but the damage I can deal is still something that makes me glad I chose the profession!

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

in Guardian

Posted by: HatSimulator.9362

HatSimulator.9362

I like dark blue and healing people, and tanking for once instead of doing max deeps

Attachments:

Gates of Madness [DUI]
Main Warrior | Every other class at 80
I only play WvW

in Guardian

Posted by: Blazin Blunt.6908

Blazin Blunt.6908

Was trying to edit my first post but it didn’t work so hereby the pictures…

Attachments:

Talic the Protector – 80 Norn Guardian
Blunt of Balthazar – 80 Human Guardian
Khan of Feurt – 80 Charr Necromancer

in Guardian

Posted by: Tenor Madness.6784

Tenor Madness.6784

I always play heavy armor characters, so it was either Warrior or Guardian. I actually thought spirit weapons were cool, and decided to base my Guardian on them. You can guess what happened once I started playing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

I only made mine under the pressure of my guild at the time, as they all wanted to make similarly named Charrs. Nobody had made a Charr guardian yet, and thus, my main was unknowingly born.

in Guardian

Posted by: PokerTuna.6170

PokerTuna.6170

If you don’t mind me asking… what pants are those? ;p

in Guardian

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

I love knockbacks/launches, and I wanted to use a hammer. Warrior knockback is a pitiful distance… Also, I wanted to shield stuff from treb attacks in WvW with Sanctuary, but I hear that doesn’t work anymore :S

in Guardian

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

If you don’t mind me asking… what pants are those? ;p

Aetherblade Heavy pants (gemstore)

in Guardian

Posted by: Breathaan.2710

Breathaan.2710

norn guardian because I miss my firbolg warden

in Guardian

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

I love knockbacks/launches, and I wanted to use a hammer. Warrior knockback is a pitiful distance… Also, I wanted to shield stuff from treb attacks in WvW with Sanctuary, but I hear that doesn’t work anymore :S

:( yeah they fixed all the treb blocks……. very rude. Was kinda fun having a battle of patience with the trebbers seeing who would give up first.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

in Guardian

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

because i think judge’s intervention is the coolest ability.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Guardian

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

I heard they were one of the better classes at healing/support. Little did I know that those were largely worthless in this game. For some reason I thought that roles weren’t completely eliminated, rather that every class could fulfill every role. Instead there is nothing but DPS and whatever “support” increases DPS.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

can also try the mace/shield regen war. You can troll harder and literally…never die.

Maybe against a single bad. No protection and self-healing that isn’t even that great. Doesn’t compare to hammer guardian, and mace guardian can do better healing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Asche.5362

Asche.5362

Well, probably not the deep kind of story you were looking for:

My main is an Asuran Necromancer. When new skins are announced in the gemstore, I like to preview them. They either look terrible (light) or the nice details get lost due to the small frame of the race.

And then they released this: See Attatchment.

Took me 14 days to bring him up to 80. Now I’m gathering the final tokens and in a few day’s time I will release the most overcompensating Asura on the undead hordes.

P.S. “Lord Helmet” was taken :/

Attachments:

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I made my Guardian because I wanted a Heavy Armored Charr; they look cool in certain armors and especially that awesome T3 helmet. Why not a Warrior though, you say? Because I found Warriors boring when deciding which one I wanted.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I was playing my thief out in fireheart rise and came across a guy who was playing his Guardian and was watching him as he just face tanked everything all the way up to COF with ease. The next day I created my Norn Male Guardian.

Why Norn? Well in my mind I see a guardian being something larger than life while a warrior I feel should be more agile that is why my warrior is a human. I do not like playing classes that do not resemble humans.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

in Guardian

Posted by: Yiasmath.3190

Yiasmath.3190

My reason to make a Guardian was:

1- One tough Char;
2- A hibrid class, making dps, tank, healing;
3- A lot defensive skills to attack and survive;
4- Traits making you a real healing if want it;
5- Charr Guardian is much fun.

in Guardian

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

I created mine because it spoke to me. The playstyle, the skills, the overall feel of the class – it encompassed everything I wanted in a character. Then I played beta – I was sold. So far I’ve got 350+ hours into him and can’t stop playing him.