Why do guardians have so few weapons? (compared to warriors)

in Guardian

Posted by: Keelin.5781

Keelin.5781

Honest question here, please no arguing.
Why is it that Guardians have so few weapons compared to the warrior?

Warriors get 7 Main-hand and 5 off-hand weapons.
Guardians 6 Main, 3 Off.

Guardians also get 3 static abilities as their class mechanic.
Warriors get 1 per Main-hand weapon for a total of 7 (not at the same time obviously).

So where does this discrepancy come from?
Is it just because some weapons wouldn’t fit the guardian theme?
Personally, i think it is a little bit unfair, but that’s just me

in Guardian

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

We different classes, that’s why. Simple and only reason. Same with engineer.

in Guardian

Posted by: Glory.4159

Glory.4159

Actually Guardians have plenty of weapon choices. It makes sense in my opinion that warriors have most diversity in available weapons. Elementalists and Necromancers have even less weapon choices as they compensate for it with specific class mechanics giving additional skill variation.

in Guardian

Posted by: Carnagh.1687

Carnagh.1687

Lost of weapon choices is part of the Warrior thing. It’s simply an advantage of the class. The number of buffs and healing available to the Guardian is our advantage.

Playing both the Guardian and a Warrior there’s nothing unfair going on here.

in Guardian

Keelin.5781

Well, maybe i’m looking at it the wrong way then.
It just seemed that in terms of the number of available skills the guardian has a bit less.
But yeah, i suppose it does depend on how you view it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

One of the reasons Guardians seem to have fewer choices than Warriors is because Warriors’ weapon skills work differently.

The playstyle of a Warrior depends powerfully on switching out weapons. Warrior weapons are all pretty aggressive; they’re almost all attack skills, and almost all of them deal damage or inflict a condition in a very particular way. Playing a Warrior means taking full advantage of a wide range of tactical options in battle.

Put another way: Warriors are designed to be highly versatile in their aggression. They’re designed to be able to attack in a dozen different ways.

Guardians are designed to be versatile in our defenses. We have far more defensive and support options than a Warrior, and our weapons reflect this. A warrior’s skills give them a dozen different ways to kill an enemy. But our skills give us a dozen different ways to protect all our allies. We have fewer options, but our individual skills can affect the battle more profoundly than those of a warrior.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Guardian

Keelin.5781

Hmm, fair enough.
Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion on this

in Guardian

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Happy to help!

And for the record, I’m an advocate for more Guardian options too. Not many more, just one more Ranged option.

I’ve always believed powerfully in the relationship between options and strength. The more options you have, the greater your range of tactics. The greater your range of tactics, the better you can perform in a given situation provided you’re prepared for it.

Options reward prepared players. The broad number of Warrior weapon options, coupled with their ability to switch between weapons quickly and capitalize on Burst skills per-weapon, contributes to their viability.

I would absolutely love a Guardian longbow weapon, but that is neither here nor there. Developers mentioned interest in the idea during BWE2, but said they lacked the bandwidth to make it happen before release.

Here’s hoping!

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Guardian

Posted by: Nemesis.1948

Nemesis.1948

We have so much skill that we only need a few weapons to do the job!

in Guardian

Posted by: Wolfgang Hype.8970

Wolfgang Hype.8970

I didn’t think picking up the banner removed the boon. It just removes the person’s skills while they relocate the banner.

Tarnished Coast – Association of Classy Tyrians [ACT]
Shyamal- Asuran Necromancer | Varg Houtman- Norn Ranger
Nemo Randolf- Human Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Also keep in mind, the Warrior’s utility skills are very dull/lame so they make up for this with awesome weapon skills. That’s why weapons are more important to them than to Guardians.

Can you imagine how lame guardians would be if we had Warrior’s utility skills to go along with our already lame set of weapon skills?

That’s terrible.