Why not sword/torch?

Why not sword/torch?

in Guardian

Posted by: babudabu.3820

babudabu.3820

I’ve been playing guardian for as long as I’ve been playing GW2; about 3 weeks. I’ve been running around with a sword and torch and a hammer. While hammer has been my jam so far, I also really like sword/torch but I’ve heard it’s not optimal. Why is this, what does everyone know about sword/torch that I’m missing?

Why not sword/torch?

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

PVE, when comparing it to focus, focus brings much more with the blind, blocks and bubble burst if not broken, not to mention you don’t need burning from torch when you pop VoJ. Spvp Focus brings more to the table still just because of the blocks and blind. Good for safe stomping and negating key attacks. WvW and roaming it’s pretty good there. Reliable burst on Zealots Flame, burning, and the 5s usable for the few seconds you’re out of sword striking range. When people talk of optimal its more referred to the PVE scene,

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Why not sword/torch?

in Guardian

Posted by: PiroTecnik.5346

PiroTecnik.5346

Also keep in mind, optimal =/= inviable. I personally like the torch, as it is very satisfying to have a long blue dragonbreath at my disposal. Optimal is just that, optimal, as in the best selection. Tbh, I can’t decide which I prefer between greatsword and hammer, not because of optimal, but sword feels smoother, but hammer has a big smash and a batter up….nes takes home plate. Fast ball aaaand that final smash is a HOME RUN!

Why not sword/torch?

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Torch isn’t bad by any means; focus is just considered to be better in most situations.

And hey, at least you aren’t running shield.

Why not sword/torch?

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I run torch all the time, when using two 1handed weapons that is.

While Zealot’s Fire (torch throw) does some good damage on a short cooldown, Cleansing Flame is a dps loss in most situations. It can be used to cleanse ally conditions, but really doesn’t bring enough utility to compare to the focus. It’s best used for cleave is when using scepter, like if a thief is in a shadow refuge (drop Smite and use Cleansing Flame).

I would certainly take it over shield though in builds with two 1handed weapons. I would rate focus an A, torch a B and shield a C-.

Why not sword/torch?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

As others have said, the Focus is just the best off-hand we have.

“Come on, hit me!”

Why not sword/torch?

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

If Torch cleansed Conditions from the user it would be the hottest thing on the block. As it stands… eh.

Why not sword/torch?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

If Torch cleansed Conditions from the user it would be the hottest thing on the block. As it stands… eh.

This.

Heck I would be fine with it only removing 3 conditions per person effected if & only if

1: It effected the guardian as well
&
2: They halved the cast time & kept the damage the same.