Why so many guardians?

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

It seems everywhere I go there they are, most people consider their guardian their main.
Whats going on? I dont feel so unique anymore :/

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

Well there are only 8 classes, and 3 million people bought the game, so there’s only a few hundred thousand of each class running around.
I main Mesmer and I promise not everyone or even “most” are maining guardian, it’s always been a popular class though. Even if you play a less popular class there will still be plenty of people maining that too.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

It’s because guardians are sort of a golden class that are great in both pve and pvp. This is because they have good damage mitigate, heals, control and stability available.

In pve, what most people with preferences want are heavy classes, warriors for damage and guardians for support.

In pvp, guardians are a strong class as well because they make good bunkers, which is good in the conquest pvp system.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

because the class has been OP since BETA? lol

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The guardian has appeal to it. It isn’t as bland as the warrior, it isn’t as squishy as the thief, it isn’t as complicated as the mesmer. The guardian has a ton of utilities that are both strong and easy to use, and a class mechanic that rewards players for both doing nothing and using the class mechanic. The guardian is in a good place in PVE and PVP; very few people pick up the class, then throw it away in confused impotence.

It is used as a main a lot because it is good. I nearly mained the guardian myself, but I decided to start with the Engineer because I liked the idea of the Elixir Gun.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Anna Kruse.3941

Anna Kruse.3941

^troll detected…. mesmers complicated.. LOL and saying guard is easy, LOL. as a guard you have to put ur team on ur back (dungeons that is)… anyways, i dont think theres more guards than any other class- (prob more warrs atm than anything else. but other classes seems to be fairly even)

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I find it fun, personally. It’s got good survivability, decent damage, and each different weapon provides a new way to enjoy the class (although that isn’t unique to Guardians, I found that I liked more different weapons on Guardian then on other classes). Going to work on Thief/Ranger once I get the Guardian to 80, though, since those are pretty decent as well.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

because guardian makes the game way easier :|?

if you are looking to join an istance (other than cof1) guess wich class is wanted everywhere?

Its also strong in WWW and PvP and seems to not risk nerfs……for some reasons.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Gender-Profession-Race-Crafting-Graph-590x378.jpg was the profession distribution chart they released back in September. More recently(within the last couple of months?) they’ve also mentioned that the distribution hasn’t changed much.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

They can do everything, heal/tank/dps

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Because they are pretty much the golden standart for class balance already. There’s no reason to nerf/buff them too much (besides some minor tweaks here and there).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Because they are pretty much the golden standart for class balance already. There’s no reason to nerf/buff them too much (besides some minor tweaks here and there).

tell me whatever you want but don t put the words balance, PvE and guardian in the same sentence…

A Golden standard in balance don t let you ignore 99% of game mechanics.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And which mechanics would that be? Because i haven’t noticed that.
Yes, guardians have skills and mechanics to deal with every problem – but so should any other class. And i wouldn’t call it “ignoring”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

Guardians are the best at everything, with constant buffs and in the “top tier” of group play, what more could you ask for? I started as a Ranger but the thing is if i were in a party of say 2Guardians, 1Warrior, Mesmer and a leader saw either another Guardian or Warrior LFG i would know for a fact i will be the one to be kicked.

Got rid of my Ranger and started to level a Warrior and Guardian..

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

hey, it isn’t called *G*uardian *W*arriors 2 for no reason…

but joking aside, i have 2 80 guardians, the first of which was my first character ever, the second being my main out of 6(soon to by 7) 80’s.

why?

i, like many other players here, perceived the guardian to be a heal~y tank~y type. when i found out that’s not how anet wants us to play, i just went along with it and now i find i am completely self sustaining in a way that no other profession can compete with in pve, pvp and w3. guardians have been and probably will always be in a good place in terms of balance. i’m paraphrasing a dev statement that is.

the closest i’ve found in comparison is the necro in terms of dps/sustain//tanking ability. strangely enough, the mesmer is my second favorite profession because it is in a way diametrically opposed to guardians, yet i find the playstyle to be very similar that feels like second nature to me. could be that both of mine use gs and sword/x on swap. they both have the ability to dispense boons like crazy and their utility is top notch.

what always makes me smile is the on demand blocking for full mitigation of attacks, no matter how powerful they may be(agony aside)

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

I’m thinking of building a second set of chars one for each class just to handle the new viable builds for each class. It’s a pain to hold extra sets of gear and having to reset traits each time I want to switch builds for my chars.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

heh, agreed. my main Guardian has like.. 7 – 8 sets of armor already. :///
so i started and leveled a 2nd Guardian working on 2nd set for him now haha.

le sigh.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

le sigh.

…why…

just make a zerker/knight set and be done

healing ratios dont scale, you dont need vit, and they’re removing magic find on armour

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

cause we are awesome…

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

le sigh.

…why…

healing ratios dont scale, you dont need vit, and they’re removing magic find on armour

short answer: cause i can and have fun with it lol.

long answer: haha, for one, i clearly have a problem.

two, it’s just another way for me to have fun in the game. i like collecting weapon skins / armor skins ( so imagine all the weapon skins i have to go for each build!). i had a lot of fun putting them together without ever using the same piece twice.

and then… varying builds for fun with a full zerker GC, to some more “tanky”, and then hybrids, healing builds in between. and they all have different themes to them that match up, ranging from the “concept” of the build, the way it performs, the traits, the weapons / sigils / runes i chose, to the dyejob, etc etc i can go on lol. don’t have an MF set though (i did way back when), don’t believe in it and glad they’re removing it from armor.

i guess bottom line, i just had a lot of ideas i wanted to try and some i liked and wanted to keep, and to me, it’d be a waste to just use trans stones each time or reslot upgrades / sigils. so why not collect armor skins that i enjoy while i was at it. just happy i found a class i can do this with.

i like to mix/max stats, etc, and find builds that are strong performers. but i’m more about viable and fun >>> optimal performance if you will.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

You need half a dozen sets just to get a good coverage of skins and rune types ( same as with weapon sigils ;-)

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

I play Guardian because I love the sword skills. Useless, but funny XD
And I love heavy armored class. But i Hate the Warrior. Then… Guardian! :-D

Anyway, the Guardian is very good in pve, can be good like support/healer in wvsw but in spvp… it’s one of the worst class you can try.
That’s why in the new Tpvp team build the guardian can be easly replaced by a necro bunker. More healt (35k+15k DS), more healing (marks, wells and attacks), more CC.

if you’re a good bunker in spvp you can defend a spot, but not alone. Never alone. You must be whit another player, or you’re only a target to kill slowly, nothing more.
it’s a healer/support, more than a bunker.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Newbie.4586

Newbie.4586

le sigh.

…why…

Nuuu my Explorer set which I use cause I am lazy….

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ozymandias.5704

Ozymandias.5704

My guardian was my 3rd character and second one to get to 80. Usually I am more fond of casters, but the guardian had a nice mix of nifty caster abilities, heavy armor and most importantly the hammer of win.

I use a mix of berserker and knights stats and so far I am able to deal good damage, tank fairly well, sustain decently and spread boons and heals to allies.

In a way, it is almost like my D/D elementalist, can do lots of things, but not necessarily the master of them all.

The only downside I feel is the lack of range, but that is OK, since melee is good.

It steam engines when it comes steam engine time.
- Charles Fort

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

I’m beginning to think people make these kinds of threads because they are down in the dumps and need to positive energy of the guardian forum to brighten up their day!

Might as well join us.

Resistance is futile.

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Becouse, blue bubbles!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

^This^

Coming from a thief.

That made me laugh.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Khenzo.2465

Khenzo.2465

Guardians are hella common on my realm aswell, along with Warrior’s.

They are common and every where just because they are such a well made class, that is, as some people call them the “golden class”.

Good in pve? Check
Good in S/T pvp? Check
Good in large scale wvw? Check
Good in small scale wvw? Check
Can support/dps/tank viably? Check

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

They are not OP at all. A-Net has nerfed tons of stuff since releasese and Guardians have never taken significant hits. They are a solid class and really A-net should be looking at them as there class design goals dont right. Thats why you see so many of them although really I would be interesed to see a class breakdown # wise I have a sneaky suspicion they are a bout middle of the pack numberswise. I always see tons of warriors, mesmers, and thieves.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Somoe.3621

Somoe.3621

I love how every time this question is asked people say the same ridiculous things.

#1. Lol @ the idea that “Guardians are OP”

#2. Lol @ the idea that Guardians are significantly easier than other classes (as if Mes, Ele, Necro, Ranger, or Warr are more difficult)

#5. Lol @ the idea that Guardians are the only well rounded class. Mes? Ele? Engi? Necro?

#6. Lol @ the idea that Guardians are just innately tanky and “near invincible”.

#7. Lol @ the idea that Guardians have no weaknesses or hard-counters in any part of the game.

#8. Lol @ the idea that Guardians can replace any class in any role (Ex: Why bring X when I can just bring a Guardian?).

/rant

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I don’t like dying, so I roll a guardian.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I think it’s because Guardians have seen a number of buffs the past updates.

A lot of people like (good) shiny new things, and buffs are one of them. (The guardian is also a shiny good thing )

It’s a lot like the Necromancer buff, and when a lot of people made Necro’s to see how good they were with the new changes.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

^This^

Coming from a thief.

That made me laugh.

Guardians are always my first target , easy to anoy and kill… only 2hw crit guards can be anoying due their damage and CC, other than that Guardian mechanics are pure CC watch peopel fighthing, roll for heal, roll again for heal more CC and die…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

tell me whatever you want but don t put the words balance, PvE and guardian in the same sentence…

A Golden standard in balance don t let you ignore 99% of game mechanics.

Um…what? If you mean the group stability then your problem isn’t actually with guardian. Instead your problem is with the devs who have an over reliance on mechanics negated by stability to create an artificial difficulty. Once they start actually developing challenging content that isn’t based around gimmick styles then you will see the real problem that the rest of us have. That problem isn’t with the guardian, but it’s inherit in the way the game is designed. Movement is supposed to be the pinnacle of combat for this game system, yet they continue to contrive ways to deny that from the player. Guardians have a way to restore that balance, thus negating a good deal of the challenge.

As seen with the new trials (ridiculously easy to me) they’ve fallen back again to the standard blizzard fare of “more hp, more damage” difficulty. I would encourage them to consider some of the interesting things they did with gw1 that made it so much fun. The enemies you fought in many ways acted like players themselves. Yet it seems they’ve entirely forgotten what they did in gw1 to make the “difficulty” so much fun.

Anyway just my perspective on the entire thing. Again though if the other professions had class forums like ours they would be in a better spot. Fewer QQ posts about how “we can’t do this, or we can’t do that” and more “o.k. lets theory craft this stuff till we know everything”.

I think it’s because Guardians have seen a number of buffs the past updates.

A lot of people like (good) shiny new things, and buffs are one of them. (The guardian is also a shiny good thing )

It’s a lot like the Necromancer buff, and when a lot of people made Necro’s to see how good they were with the new change

I currently use a terror necro, and I can tell you that for the amount of control I have their damage is crazy. Does that mean it needs a nerf? No, what it means is that the game needs to evolve better to provide more accurate forms of counter play similar to league of legends.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

The ‘paladin’ class has always been popular ever since it appeared in gaming culture, the theme alone brings a ton of players, just like with warrior.

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Bweaty.9187

Bweaty.9187

All the necros are rolling them as new mains?

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

because that class is everything what I tried to achieve by strange mixes of secondary class to my warrior back in gw1.
heavy armor+magic(both defensive and offensive)+blue color(joke)

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Why so many guardians?

in Guardian

Posted by: Bull Zooker.1672

Bull Zooker.1672

im enjoying my healing guardian with new symbol and meditation changes.

I main a necro, but dabble in most other classes and finding this fun at the moment. I can face tank most content with clever use of utilities and weapon skills, which is more fun to do on guard than it is necro.

Grandad Fester / Unruly Pigeon – Necromancer by trade