Why you don't need traveller runes

in Guardian

Posted by: Noble.2670

Noble.2670

I see a lot of roamers asking if they should use traveller runes, and the answer to it is simple, no, buy whatever ruins suite your play style the best, then in place of your oil etc, use “swift Moa feathers” you can buy them off the trading post for 30s, and they give you a 25% speed increase, this way you can optimise your stats how you wish, and still get that invaluable speed increase us guardians need to roam

Edit:they also last for 30minutes

(This might be common knowledge to most, but this was posted for the people out there who don’t know :P)

Stupid Seven [sM]
my vids: https://tinyurl.com/sevenddelem

(edited by Noble.2670)

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

While a lot of people don’t know about the feathers we are still robbing Peter to pay Paul. We have to eat the loss somewhere although admittedly this gives us one other place I guess.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Noble.2670

While a lot of people don’t know about the feathers we are still robbing Peter to pay Paul. We have to eat the loss somewhere although admittedly this gives us one other place I guess.

While this is true, I believe losing the oil etc, overall is better then taking traveller runes, strictly speaking for the people who just take them for the speed increase that is, I’ve found myself I can optimise my damage by taking solider runes or wurm, and still have the speed I desire

It can also be extremly helpful when running in groups as support, you can max out on support runes, and are still able to run from enemy’s and keep with the group, without requiring there swiftness or staffs

Stupid Seven [sM]

(edited by Noble.2670)

in Guardian

Posted by: nelzack.7205

nelzack.7205

thank you for played that card (if you know what I mean).
Good advice

Have fun,
n
Gandara

in Guardian

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

This is the most useful thing I’ve read in these forums for months.
Thank you very much Sir.

in Guardian

Noble.2670

This is the most useful thing I’ve read in these forums for months.
Thank you very much Sir.

Your welcome :P

Stupid Seven [sM]

in Guardian

Noble.2670

thank you for played that card (if you know what I mean).
Good advice

To be honest, I don’t know what you mean xD! But ethier way, your welcome :P

Stupid Seven [sM]

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

How are these feathers obtained?

in Guardian

Noble.2670

How are these feathers obtained?

You can buy them off the trading post, they currently sell for around 30s.

Stupid Seven [sM]

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

OK, how are the people putting them on the TP getting them?

in Guardian

Noble.2670

OK, how are the people putting them on the TP getting them?

You used to be able to win them In the Moa racing events in lions arch. That’s all I know, it’s nothing google can’t find out for you tho.

Stupid Seven [sM]

in Guardian

Posted by: Aj Cheeze.2159

Aj Cheeze.2159

LMWTFY http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swift_Moa_Feather

Dont buy them off the TP if you want to save some money hunt tigg down and buy them for 24s instead.

Edit: Nvm tigg does not have them checked it myself… and i was going to try to profit off this to =(

(edited by Aj Cheeze.2159)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aj Cheeze.2159

Aj Cheeze.2159

It may be event related that they do not show up for me though. unsure cannot confirm

in Guardian

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

I’ve bought 100 of them from Tigg in Lornar Pass camp just a couple hours ago.
In any case, it seems like they gran less than a 25% speed boost, probably a 15%-10%.

(edited by Vargamonth.2047)

in Guardian

Noble.2670

I’ve bought 100 of them from Tigg in Lornar Pass camp just a couple hours ago.
In any case, it seems like they gran less than a 25% speed boost, probably a 15%-10%.

There a good investment, and I’ve actually tested the run speed against someone with traveller runes and we didn’t lose/gain any distance, witch would of course lead me to believe there 25% :P

Stupid Seven [sM]

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

What about in PvP? I can’t go without anymore.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

Attachments:

in Guardian

Noble.2670

^ahahaha

Stupid Seven [sM]

in Guardian

Noble.2670

You said you can’t go without so the answer is simple, don’t go without :P! Play however/ whatever suites your play style

Stupid Seven [sM]

in Guardian

Posted by: Wooboost.8527

Wooboost.8527

During the attack on LA, once you completed a specific event, you unlocked these from the vendor at the priory refugee camp for 24s. Not sure if he still sells them. Also, I was told the movement increase was only 15%, never tested though..

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcade Fire.4895

Arcade Fire.4895

Thanks for the tip!

Had no idea these existed.

in Guardian

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I’m pretty sure it’s 15%, not 25%. Either way, this is what I do. Now I use my guard, with Dolyak runes, exclusively for PvE (Where I play 99% of the time) as even a 15% speed boost is not enough for WvW or PvP, where lack of speed kills…and it’s painful when there are few WPs. I’d love to see these feathers boosted to 25%.

in Guardian

Posted by: xFireize.6318

xFireize.6318

I prefer runes of the pack. Perfect for my boon duration Bunker DPS.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend
Why bother being a Guardian if you don’t guard anyone?

in Guardian

Leamas.5803

Downscaled to 37 in Harathi Hinterlands, with 200 healing, Dolyak only ticks 15hp/s. That’s entirely underwhelming. :/ Perhaps time to reevaluate my runes. Still won’t be Traveler, but the new divinity runes at +78 to all stats are looking better and better. While taking a hit to the v/t Dolyak gives me, the overall gains should balance out..

in Guardian

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Pack runes are soo good on guards they always have been but it’s much better now.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Guardian

xFireize.6318

Pack runes are soo good on guards they always have been but it’s much better now.

Yeah they were decent back then. However I dropped them from Melandru. Then I switched back. Can’t really miss out on up to 65% Fury and 80% Swiftness up time. Go get them while they are cheap.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

24 silver each? No thanks!

The 4th bonus of the rune of the pack is 10 sec or 5 sec as wiki says?

Sorry for my english.

(edited by Mikau.6920)

in Guardian

xFireize.6318

5s was the old effect. They forgot to update that. It’s 10s, meaning if you have 30% boon duration + 30% swiftness duration, you get 16s of swiftness per proc, which has 20 seconds of cooldown. Hence it gives up to 80% up time. That does not include Symbol of Swiftness or SY! or Retreat!

Rune of the pack 4th effect up time is better than any of our shouts.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend

in Guardian

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

I’ve done some rushes over the same distance( 3 rushes each, with no bonus, with feathers, with traveler runes and with swiftness, also one with all to prove it didn’t stack).
(Don’t forget to seize the difference, 100% speed increase would halve the travel time, -50%, not make it zero!)
16.25 was the average for no bonus.
14.6 was the average for feather. 11.13% speed increase, travel time -10.2%.
13.05 was the average for traveler. 24.52% speed increase, travel time -19.7%.
12.25 was the average for swiftness. 32.65% speed increase, travel time -24.62%
The numbers are 25% for traveler and 33% for swiftness as we know. My mistake was less than 1% on the scale, so I would suggest Feather being inbetween 10 and 12.5% speed increase.
And that is lackluster. In my opinion at least. Definitely not worth a nourishment slot, especially for it’s price. If it would be at least 15%, then it would be worth considering.
As a tactical choice, Runes of the Pack are great because they also give Furry(175 power, 125 precision, swiftness, fury? Godsend for a Guardian). If you apply Swiftness using Staff out of combat(and swap it out constantly), you’ll have near 100% swiftness uptime out of combat with these. You will probably still lose swiftness in combat occassionally, against boon corruption and stuff like this at least.
But Traveler is more reliable. The movement speed difference is not all that great to Swiftness. You save yourself a gimmicky weapon swap out of combat(especially if someone attacks you while you try to get some swiftness with your symbol, or a mob aggros and steps into it, you’ve just lost more speed than you’ve gained), and most importantly – you get reliable movement speed boost in combat. Pack may provide you with ~15 sec of swiftness(25 in virtues 25% rune itself) once every ~22-25 seconds(be realistic, it’s the 25% chance!), and combined with Save Yourselves that would be near 100% uptime in combat on paper. But in real game swiftness either vanishes, either gets stolen, either becomes cripple.
TL:DR
Commander/Zergling Guardian – none of the two, permaswiftness lulz.
Party Roam Guardian – Pack beats it with AOE Swiftness/Fury/Might
Selfish/Lone Roamer – Traveler.
Feather – $$$ and get 10% speed increase ;D

(edited by Evalia.7103)

in Guardian

Leamas.5803

I’ve done some rushes over the same distance( 3 rushes each, with no bonus, with feathers, with traveler runes and with swiftness, also one with all to prove it didn’t stack).
(Don’t forget to seize the difference, 100% speed increase would halve the travel time, -50%, not make it zero!)
16.25 was the average for no bonus.
14.6 was the average for feather. 11.13% speed increase, travel time -10.2%.
13.05 was the average for traveler. 24.52% speed increase, travel time -19.7%.
12.25 was the average for swiftness. 32.65% speed increase, travel time -24.62%
The numbers are 25% for traveler and 33% for swiftness as we know. My mistake was less than 1% on the scale, so I would suggest Feather being inbetween 10 and 12.5% speed increase.
And that is lackluster. In my opinion at least. Definitely not worth a nourishment slot, especially for it’s price. If it would be at least 15%, then it would be worth considering.
As a tactical choice, Runes of the Pack are great because they also give Furry(175 power, 125 precision, swiftness, fury? Godsend for a Guardian). If you apply Swiftness using Staff out of combat(and swap it out constantly), you’ll have near 100% swiftness uptime out of combat with these. You will probably still lose swiftness in combat occassionally, against boon corruption and stuff like this at least.
But Traveler is more reliable. The movement speed difference is not all that great to Swiftness. You save yourself a gimmicky weapon swap out of combat(especially if someone attacks you while you try to get some swiftness with your symbol, or a mob aggros and steps into it, you’ve just lost more speed than you’ve gained), and most importantly – you get reliable movement speed boost in combat. Pack may provide you with ~15 sec of swiftness(25 in virtues 25% rune itself) once every ~22-25 seconds(be realistic, it’s the 25% chance!), and combined with Save Yourselves that would be near 100% uptime in combat on paper. But in real game swiftness either vanishes, either gets stolen, either becomes cripple.
TL:DR
Commander/Zergling Guardian – none of the two, permaswiftness lulz.
Party Roam Guardian – Pack beats it with AOE Swiftness/Fury/Might
Selfish/Lone Roamer – Traveler.
Feather – $$$ and get 10% speed increase ;D

Good analysis!! Thanks for taking time to do this. In practice though, I’ve noticed most WvW guardian commanders tend to use traveler, opting for speed over an optimal build. They don’t want to slow the zerg down.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pautik.9751

Pautik.9751

Can anyone confirm the %speed from these feathers?

in Guardian

Leamas.5803

I once read it was 15%, but it never felt like 15% to me as the increase was not really noticeable. I think the ~10-12% Evalia discovered is probably quite accurate, which really brings up the question of whether it’s even worthwhile, especially at 24s per 30 minutes an that it uses up your utility that could be used by something far more useful. If it were the same as the 25% other classes enjoy as a built in trait or signet, then sure, 24s might end up worthwhile.

I still think it should be increased to 25% because it would encourage a greater diversity in builds, especially in those classes that don’t have some what to have inherent haste such as guardian and mesmer. I’ve suggested this as an enhancement request here…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-Suggestion-Swift-Moa-Feathers/first#post3967830

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

5s was the old effect. They forgot to update that. It’s 10s, meaning if you have 30% boon duration + 30% swiftness duration, you get 16s of swiftness per proc, which has 20 seconds of cooldown. Hence it gives up to 80% up time. That does not include Symbol of Swiftness or SY! or Retreat!

Rune of the pack 4th effect up time is better than any of our shouts.

I wanna try the new pack runes, but I spent too much on traveler runes (~42 gold worth on tp now) =(

Sorry for my english.