Will guardian shield ever get fixed?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fellwitch.4536

Fellwitch.4536

I know this has been hashed to death but really, shield and focus need to be switched.

Isn’t it odd that the people who want to use defensive abilities, I.e. a shield, are forced to pick a crummy looking focus instead of a beautiful shield graphic?

Secondly, the shield skills just plain suck.

Third, I have envy for all the warriors that can use a shield and have it do what it should do.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

Shield abilities are good, but not for soloing. This is also what I’m disappointed about shield for guardian since shield really “fitting” into this profession but the fact that the skills are only useful for group makes me sad. They should make the shield more reliable for soloing content.

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

in Guardian

Posted by: Fellwitch.4536

Fellwitch.4536

I guess I disagree on current shield skills being useful at all.

For the protection boon, hammer does it better and longer.
For the aoe reflect, in dungeons it ruins aoe dps and in Wvw it doesn’t help against gtaoe.

Also if you really wanted to reflect stuff, shield spirit weapon is much better, or even traited wall of reflection. All in all, what the shield currently does sucks compared to other options.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

Fellwitch

Also if you really wanted to reflect stuff, shield spirit weapon is much better, or even traited wall of reflection. All in all, what the shield currently does sucks compared to other options.

FYI, Wall of Reflection is only skill that reflects projectiles. Shield of the Avenger and Shield of Absorption only absorb projectiles. Supports your point.

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

I guess I disagree on current shield skills being useful at all.
For the protection boon, hammer does it better and longer.
For the aoe reflect, in dungeons it ruins aoe dps and in Wvw it doesn’t help against gtaoe.

The Shield sucks if you look at it from that angle but is arguably the best off-hand for PvP and saving other players in PvE. As it stands, the shield was tailored for Spvp and Tpvp and I do think the skills are currently fine as they are.

Wall Of Reflection and Shield Of Absorption should not be compared to one another as they were meant for 2 different purposes. WoR does what the description says and reflects projectiles. SoA is an AoE knockback used to defend nodes/players and disrupt combos. The absorption is only the bonus. It also has a detonation which can be used to heal.

4 is a cone and is instant so it is essentially a free boon for you and your allies at the start of a fight. The built in Symbol for Hammer #1 takes time and when things get busy, how often you’ll get the 3rd swing off depends on the situation.

In saying this, I do find the shield in a similar situation as the Hammer where #4 and especially #5 are used less frequently in solo pve if compared to torch/focus but are irreplaceable in Spvp. I not agree the shield sucks or needs an ability switch with the focus. The shield also gives bonus defence and damage just like any weapon but whether A.Net intended it to be this way, I’m not too sure.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jongi.7612

Jongi.7612

The shield knockback doesnt always work in pvp with a lot of profs getting stability now. It does feel weird that the shield doesnt have the block on it since a shield is about blocking. If they changed the shield and focus number 5 abilities and reworked them both slightly like 5 focus would knockback and give the damage reduction for your team that gets hit by the pulse. While number 5 blocks the 3 attacks and can give like regen or something instead of the damage reduction.

I think it would fit a lot better with the support number 4 gives to the team with blinds and regen. Do i care if it doesnt change? not really but i think it would be a change for the better and not make people scratch their heads wondering why the blocks arent on the shield.

Its just my 2 cents.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jack Angelfoot.2697

Jack Angelfoot.2697

I think what Kasei was noting is that for an offhand which is arguably the coolest looking offhand in the game, it is relatively useless except in very specialized situations.

The shield only works well in certain situations in group PvE or SPvP. Normally, you’d be better off with the focus, a 2-hander, or a torch. Even in the group environment.

Thus, for the most part, Guardians don’t use shields. Just like Guardians don’t use scepters. It is not a question of “Hey, this is really awesome when the stars align just perfectly.” It is a statement that whether you love the shield’s specialty uses or you hate them, you will probably never use it because it is generally so much weaker than the other offhands.

I, like Kasei, wish the shield was the most useful offhand – complete with blocking – and that the specialty skills got stuck on some ugly-skinned contrivance.

- Jack Angelfoot -

in Guardian

Posted by: deherch.3158

deherch.3158

Warriors have much better shield skills, god I hate the looks of that kitten focus weapon.. what an ugly thing. Sadly, the focus weapon has some good skills

in Guardian

Posted by: The LZ.7891

The LZ.7891

I despise the focus too. What an odd weapon to bring into a game. Never even heard of anything like it ><. Looks like you might be holding a doorhandle or something rofl. I’ve gotten used to the shield. +90 toughness for the win. It would be nice if shield of absorption actually held foes out for the full fantastic duration of FOUR seconds it has. Because I often find that I used the knockback and then before I’m done, my enemies are on top of me again and thus I have to end the shield even quicker ^^.

in Guardian

Posted by: deherch.3158

deherch.3158

but then u could still destroy the bubble early for the healing, right?

in Guardian

Posted by: Nirvash.3018

Nirvash.3018

shield skill #5 swap with Wall of Reflection —- Bubble becomes a utility skill instead
^_^

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

The shield knockback doesnt always work in pvp with a lot of profs getting stability now. It does feel weird that the shield doesnt have the block on it since a shield is about blocking. If they changed the shield and focus number 5 abilities and reworked them both slightly like 5 focus would knockback and give the damage reduction for your team that gets hit by the pulse. While number 5 blocks the 3 attacks and can give like regen or something instead of the damage reduction.

Stability like any other boon will not have 100% uptime. It is up to the player when they think the timing is right to use a knockdown. Whether the shield should give protection or block differs for each player.