WvW Roam: How do you do it?

in Guardian

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Hi there,

I am asking for help for dragonhunter wvw builds, especially for roaming. I usually play s/f FA ele, or power rev, and never had any troubles in roaming. DH was the first elite I acquired, due to my love to Guard. “If the guardian gets a bow, It will be complete” I always said. But the reality was different I guess.

I suck ad DH roaming. Yes I can fight 1v1 and win sometimes but I cannot function properly. I used to play medi dps guard before HoT, and everything was ok. But with HoT meta and DH, I could not adapt properly.

When I meet a DH I usually can kill him/her without too much trouble
( depends on the skill level ). And when someone meets me I become a ground paste, without much trouble. Sad part is I love the class.

Any advices, build tips, and decent insights?

in Guardian

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

try watching how i do it. im not perfect and dont use metabuilds i think.

https://youtu.be/kLk20_B3ij0

i also have a video with hammer/longbow if you insist in using LB, altho most DHs use shield sword.

any question dont hesitate

in Guardian

alain.1659

Well thanks! I have spotted the problem I guess. My stats are a little bit too tanky to deal damage, and my burst is not strong enough. You are literally playing like a s/f FA ele I shall try it. My only question is movement speed. Isn’t it a torment to run without %25?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kerivek.5740

Kerivek.5740

The standard LB/Sw-Sh power DH still works really well. What kind of gear are you using? I would run full Marauders and you can mix in a few Berserker accessories to add more damage as you see fit.

Advice wise, without knowing how you play it is tough to tell you what to improve…but I can tell you from my own experience I definitely camped LB and relied on traps way too much at first. Don’t underestimate the damage of sword, especially if you can get an opening that allows you to put a full Sword 3 into your target. It does huge bursts.

in Guardian

miguelsil.6324

Well thanks! I have spotted the problem I guess. My stats are a little bit too tanky to deal damage, and my burst is not strong enough. You are literally playing like a s/f FA ele I shall try it. My only question is movement speed. Isn’t it a torment to run without %25?

Its a bit boring running slowly but i spam gs3 and teleport to get around or just use travelers runes. pack r just for fun and huge dps increase

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

lately ive been running GS, Sword/Shield. full marauder gear with durability runes. A friend of mine gave me the build and with GS3, Sword 2, F2 and JI, you can cover a lot of distance. I havent really noticed the lack of the 25% movt speed. Just have to keep an eye out for ambient creatures to use for JI and Sword 2 teleports.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I hope we will get 25% movement speed trait in next xpac so I can experiment with other runes.

5 years on traveler ones.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

Longtime, avid guard/DH roamer here. Some advice/tips/tricks:

• Like everyone else said, use sword 2, GS 3, f2, JI as well as swiftness from staff 3 and medpack 5 (from sentry flagpole kits). Mobility is HUGE when it comes to roaming and as a DH you have very poor mobility unless you make use of all of these skills.
  • Builds: Standard power medi-trapper (LB & Sw/sh) works very well for most matchups. You can switch utilities or a weapon out if desired. I like to carry around GS, scepter and focus to switch out to. If you prefer burn guard, I recommend you check out Kiritsugu emeya’s videos; his build works very well 1v1 and even better in small group roaming.
  • Know your matchups: Know what you can kill and what you have trouble killing, then plan accordingly before engaging. See a condi necro? Switch out JI for CoP. See a thief approaching you? Be sure to start on Sw/sh to absorb some burst. Keep an eye out for thieves. A very good one can be on you and engage much more quickly than any other class and can dispose of you very quickly but goes down equally as fast if you know what you’re doing. I won’t offer too much fight advice though; too many nuances that you will just learn over time as you play.
  • Avoiding death: As often as you can, stick close to towers/camps or terrain that you can LoS or kite through. This is huge when fighting outnumbered or if being chased. You have poor mobility over time but great sudden bursts of mobility. For example: Sword 2, JI, f2, RF, f2 again. That’s just over 3000 units of distance covered in a few seconds. Not quite thief level of mobility but just about nothing else can match this. While roaming, you also want to avoid main thoroughfairs (such as running right along SMC before going off towards a camp in Eternal Battlegrounds) since you’re far more likely to run into larger groups of players who can chase you down fairly easily.

in Guardian

Posted by: GrahamW.5397

GrahamW.5397

Hi there,

I am asking for help for dragonhunter wvw builds, especially for roaming. I usually play s/f FA ele, or power rev, and never had any troubles in roaming. DH was the first elite I acquired, due to my love to Guard. “If the guardian gets a bow, It will be complete” I always said. But the reality was different I guess.

I suck ad DH roaming. Yes I can fight 1v1 and win sometimes but I cannot function properly. I used to play medi dps guard before HoT, and everything was ok. But with HoT meta and DH, I could not adapt properly.

When I meet a DH I usually can kill him/her without too much trouble
( depends on the skill level ). And when someone meets me I become a ground paste, without much trouble. Sad part is I love the class.

Any advices, build tips, and decent insights?

Would recommend something like this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAT8dn8cCVDhVdCeDB8DhlEiS+5j+s/aZDgEIL/+vAE-T1BXABCrEj09HkV9HR1N8gSwlVGAgSDSBk5WL-w

For sigils, many people swear by different ones. I would recommend taking hydromancy on focus/shield, so when you have to swap to it you get a bit of extra damage, and it will chill to make it harder for enemies to move out of your damage. Other than that, anything that can increase your damage is nice. Sigils that provide a bit more sustain like leeching can also work. If you want a stacking sigil, take bloodlust or cruelty.

You can take shield over focus if you want more knockbacks. Push and pull people through test of faith with lb 3, your f1, and sheild 5 if you take it. Take judges intervention over contemplation of purity, if you aren’t facing much condi pressure and need the mobility. Swap heavy light for hunters fortification if you need some extra condi clear. Take piercing light instead of soaring devastation if you want more sustain. Also consider ditching unscathed contender for retaliatory subconscious.

There are a few different ways to play as a dh roaming, you can be really aggressive, or defensive depending on what the situation requires or who you’re fighting. Imo you should always start in bow and always auto attack as much as you can, and try to set up a true shot. It will force people to either range you back, which you can pop for f3 and block most of their damage, or they will try to get into melee range, in which case you can continue to kite them, or swap to sword/focus or sword/shield and drop test of faith and start ccing them through the ring or blocking their attacks as needed. If you do this you can almost always dictate how the fight goes, when they’re playing into your game from the start. Don’t forget you have a lot of ways to blind people. Your trap heal, sword 2, focus 4, and lb 3 which is unblockable and also a cc when traited for.

I think thats everything, though i’m probably missing something. I hope this helped.

in Guardian

alain.1659

First, thank you all guys. I will gear up and try guard in wvw. I always played aggressive medi dps guard before HoT, and it was good. But with HoT, tankiness, mobility and conditions became stupidly high, and that was my problem. But I will adapt I guess.

Again thank you for your help. After a few days of trial period I will come back if I have any questions

Have a nice day.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bheowulf.4572

Bheowulf.4572

Hi guys is there any good solo roaming build for core guard or DH with greatsword? Not sure if i want to use LB again so it could be GS+SW/SH… thanks

in Guardian

miguelsil.6324

watch my first core gaurd video and second

build in description

in Guardian

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

I’ve got a few roaming videos, but I’m on mobile so I don’t have the link. Basically you should run mostly marauders and zerk (sometimes I’ll throw in some celestial). Also DB makes it much easier, though it is deffinetly not necessary.
Side note: Miguelsil, I’ve seen you vids, I want to duel u

in Guardian

miguelsil.6324

I’ve got a few roaming videos, but I’m on mobile so I don’t have the link. Basically you should run mostly marauders and zerk (sometimes I’ll throw in some celestial). Also DB makes it much easier, though it is deffinetly not necessary.
Side note: Miguelsil, I’ve seen you vids, I want to duel u

Oh its on now :p sure u have dueled me before on my main account and reaper i think;) pm me at Mikhaelz

in Guardian

Posted by: Bheowulf.4572

Bheowulf.4572

Hi guys does the new patch change the linked builds in this thread? And is there sny good burning build for wvw solo roaming?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I hope we will get 25% movement speed trait in next xpac so I can experiment with other runes.

5 years on traveler ones.

ive tryed but could only use them when using meditations based builds.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.