WvW mace - help gurus!

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

I am stubbornly staying mace/shield and hammer. I want a great staying / sustainability power from mace shield. but do enough dmg with hammer to kill. is this possible and where i should allocate my traits? I’ve been trying and failing results for 4 days now xD

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I know from experience that this setup works with a trait distribution of 0/0/10/30/30; you may also have success with something similar to the common 0/0/30/10/10 AH/EM build.

I’m assuming you run Soldier’s or Knight’s gear (or a mix).

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

I think the fact everybody thinks they need hammer demonstrates how sad trying to melee in this game can be without stuns or jumps.

Mace/Shield + Staff should be much better for you but it is admittedly difficult to keep people in range.

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

true, against people who know the hammer or gs inside out, these weapons aren’t efficient at all solo.

i am thinking of going scepter/staff now…

hell yea range guard for the win!

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: TallDan.6350

TallDan.6350

true, against people who know the hammer or gs inside out, these weapons aren’t efficient at all solo.

i am thinking of going scepter/staff now…

hell yea range guard for the win!

Funny you should say that but I have just switched to Scepter/Staff and think it may be our weapon set with the most options.

Lady suzi ~ Human Guardian {} Gizmo Gregory ~ Asura Engineer
Firezof Arrows ~ Sylvari Ranger {} Hudeeni ~ Norn Mesmer
Ruins of Surmia [KoA]

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Naffy.1493

Naffy.1493

I was in the same situation as you. I ended switching to a sword+shield and hammer meditation build. It has sweet closing and control. Lots O kills.

I do miss my mace though.

Tree Dink – Sylvari Guardian
Os of NSP

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Coltz.5617

I think the fact everybody thinks they need hammer demonstrates how sad trying to melee in this game can be without stuns or jumps.

Mace/Shield + Staff should be much better for you but it is admittedly difficult to keep people in range.

Actually I prefer BLUNT weapons in games, thus I am stubbornly sticking to them regardless of skills.

back on topic, Besides typical AHbuilds, symbols, and (trait for dmg / stats for defence ). What other options do I have really? I feel I am very limited by the game in creativity and builds, perhaps i exhausted my own ~.

before more tips I would like to add I already know there are better wep combination synergy out there with my other builds such as my awesome DPS teleport build, or Hammer – GS trap and destroy builds. However accomplish this particular build with M/Sh + H is proven plain silly in WvW.. ( because im trying to use mainhand M/SH ).
I also believe that this build would definitly need retaliation help for dmg dealing of course.

“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

(edited by Coltz.5617)

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

I know from experience that this setup works with a trait distribution of 0/0/10/30/30

That’s what I often run and find it very effective in small group fights when your control skills can shine. The downside is a lack of mobility.

Gate of Madness

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Actually I prefer BLUNT weapons in games, thus I am stubbornly sticking to them regardless of skills.

back on topic, Besides typical AHbuilds, symbols, and (trait for dmg / stats for defence ). What other options do I have really? I feel I am very limited by the game in creativity and builds, perhaps i exhausted my own ~.

before more tips I would like to add I already know there are better wep combination synergy out there with my other builds such as my awesome DPS teleport build, or Hammer – GS trap and destroy builds. However accomplish this particular build with M/Sh + H is proven plain silly in WvW.. ( because im trying to use mainhand M/SH ).
I also believe that this build would definitly need retaliation help for dmg dealing of course.

You might consider combining your tele build with the hammer part of your current build. I like mace+shield too(it’s kitten in tPvP), but I don’t think it works as well in WvW(hammer arguably doesn’t either, but I think it ultimately offers more utility, even if you can’t consistently land your symbols).

Maybe think about going sword+shield(or focus) along with hammer: you’ll get a tele(sword 2), blind(focus 4, sword 2), and if you use a meditation you’ll get another tele. The two teles would work well for maintaining contact and would allow you to quick-swap to hammer(hydromancy perhaps) and lock people down.

The other alternative has already been posted above: mace+shield along with staff. You’ll still run into the same problems with mace though and I think you’ll end up using staff primarily in the end.

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

Mace+Shield/Greatsword, So far this is my preferred weaponset in WvW. Just keep a staff handy though for some swiftness. GS for dmg and M/S for survivability

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Coltz.5617

is it that hard to understand that I am stubbornly sticking with mace/shield and hammer? trying to confront and challenge an unpopular method instead of avoiding to a easier wep combination.

“ALL IS VAIN”

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

I’ll take on this challenge with you, OP! I ran 0/0/10/30/30 with hammer + mace/shield for a long time and a loved it. Huge staying power, and I still killed. Arguably, not as much as fast as our other builds. I’ll try and come up with sth other than what you’ve listed. Though, I will say a symbol build would work magic! trapping a group with hammer 5 and drop double symbols? Game over.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Breytes.6901

Breytes.6901

I always run a mace/shield with a staff in WvW and I love it. I am running a slightly modified combination of the (Paragon Build) and the (Healway Build). I will edit this post once I am off work with my stats and gear setup. My auto attack hits for 730 average with the mace and crits for upwards of 3k pretty often, the staff hits for only slightly less and when I swap out to Hammer I hit slightly harder.

I can survive a good amount and still put out some pressure to enemies. I don’t get around the map as fast as I used to but once I am in the fight I am there till the bitter end or glorious victory.

Breytes Rondoure 80 Guardian of the Blood Legion

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

I’ll take on this challenge with you, OP! I ran 0/0/10/30/30 with hammer + mace/shield for a long time and a loved it. Huge staying power, and I still killed. Arguably, not as much as fast as our other builds. I’ll try and come up with sth other than what you’ve listed. Though, I will say a symbol build would work magic! trapping a group with hammer 5 and drop double symbols? Game over.

Ever try running a RHS damage build with mace? Its pretty decent. The only issue is the complete lack of mobility. I might try messing around with a different build later, maybe something along the lines of a 10/30/0/30/0 build based around group play.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: YiSC.1983

YiSC.1983

A symbol build could work well depending on what situations you end up finding yourselves in.
I find them fun in sPvP but I’ve been too lazy to get the equips to run it in WvW.

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Bash.7291

A symbol build could work well depending on what situations you end up finding yourselves in.
I find them fun in sPvP but I’ve been too lazy to get the equips to run it in WvW.

Wouldnt bother symbol builds are fine for point defence in spvp because people need to be on points to take/defend them. In WvW there is alot more available space to move and not sit in a symbol.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Coltz.5617

hm, I tried symbol and retalliation build. It didn’t do terrible. But not a very efficient build.

“ALL IS VAIN”

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

Gonna ask this on this topic, im currently levling a guardian. U usually i might go GS + Shield/mace or GS + Staff but what gear should i use for open world? Its better to go standard PTV or Zerker in WvW?

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: YiSC.1983

YiSC.1983

Wouldnt bother symbol builds are fine for point defence in spvp because people need to be on points to take/defend them. In WvW there is alot more available space to move and not sit in a symbol.

If they’re finding themselves in a zerg situation I can see some uses for it :o
Both symbols are very defensive so he would be able to front-line pretty well while also ticking damage against ~5 people.

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Bash.7291

If they’re finding themselves in a zerg situation I can see some uses for it :o
Both symbols are very defensive so he would be able to front-line pretty well while also ticking damage against ~5 people.

True, but when people notice they are taking 1k damage crits because of what they are standing on they tend to move. You also run into the issue of symbol builds requiring points in zeal to maximize potential, It is going to be hard to make a tanky build with points in zeal in a WvW setting.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Coltz.5617

[/quote]

True, but when people notice they are taking 1k damage crits because of what they are standing on they tend to move. You also run into the issue of symbol builds requiring points in zeal to maximize potential, It is going to be hard to make a tanky build with points in zeal in a WvW setting.[/quote]

This is when I use ring of warding to trap 3 people in while they roll around in my symbols. Also it increases my retalliation dmg.

“ALL IS VAIN”

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

@Bash – haven’t had much time to play recently, but i have tried a RHS with mace before and i loved it. didn’t have poitns in Honor then though to fully benefit from the Symbol traits but Protector’s Strike alone would crit for crazy.

@OP – apologies as mentioned above, haven’t had time to dig deep into this yet. any luck with coming up with a build that you liked yet? which symbol / retal build did you try?

will try to work on this in the next coulpe of days : ))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Iconoklast.2389

Iconoklast.2389

Try looking at something like this guy in the youtube video. He has pretty good success using mace/shield and hammer. His style also seems to match the style you described as well. Hope this helps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR2jER9aIV4

Iconoklast – Guardian / Icono Clone – Mesmer
Tiny Icono – Engineer / The Icono – Elementalist
SoS – Empyrean Knights [EK] YB – The Coasters [TC]

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: tyandam.8962

tyandam.8962

Theres a very nice build on Youtube from Tap Dat Mouse called the “paladin build”. I tweaked it a little (not known for posting my builds) and made it a very nice “let them kill themself” setup. There was also lots of room for personal preference changes so i would definitely look at it.

Dev 1: Ele’s are OP
Dev 2: Nerf warriors?
~Dwagonband~

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Coltz.5617

Try looking at something like this guy in the youtube video. He has pretty good success using mace/shield and hammer. His style also seems to match the style you described as well. Hope this helps!

Thnx this helps~ I’ll try the build in the vid.

I’ll try this out, as well as other builds i’ve been working on and the ones i recieved thnx ~

“ALL IS VAIN”

(edited by Coltz.5617)

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

Thnx this helps~ I’ll try the build in the vid.

I’ll try this out, as well as other builds i’ve been working on and the ones i recieved thnx ~

Hey, that’s my movie that was linked. I have a playlist of movies using mostly mace/shield/hammer if you want to see how it handles in different situations.
The build I was using was offensive support. My job was to line crash enemies, provide stability, counter stealth house, and secure stomps and revives with stability, block, blind.

Mace/Shield/Hammer Playlist

But keep in mind that these movie were made when a lot of people were still running full zerker. The JI/Ring/Hammer2/Mace3 combo would often flat out kill uplevels and full zerker people on the first hit. The WvW meta has changed quite a bit since then and more and more people are running high survivability/bunker builds (at least the people who know what they are doing) so what was done in these movies would not be as effective now.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

WvW mace - help gurus!

in Guardian

Coltz.5617

Thanks for the tip, I’ve kept that in mind xD. I am thinking hp should be around 20/21k have the armor supply plenty of power, trait high on crit dmg. Have consumables for crit chance.

“ALL IS VAIN”