Xpac 2: what could replace DH/Longbow?

in Guardian

Posted by: Etterwyn.5263

Etterwyn.5263

OK I was thinking about it… DH brought a viable ranged weapon to Guardian, which it sorely needed. Scepter is barely viable in PVE and useless anywhere else.

Problem is, unless xpac 2 brings a new type of weapon, where exactly can we go from here? Who would give up DH for a melee weapon or an offhand?

So I wonder, what would be good enough to give up longbow? Here are a few ideas I think would make the new Elite spec tempting…

1). Dual-wield melee. New elite spec allows use of an axe (my preference) or daggers, and enables dual wielding with current 1h weapons. For HOT we got a more powerful ranged weapon. A more powerful melee option would be good for frontliners.?
?
2). Staff/scepter functions differently with new spec equipped. One or both of those becomes a fast-projectile weapon, and their core skills are replaced with new skills with the elite spec equipped.

3). A different ranged weapon from the current pool. Rifles or pistols? They really don’t fit the Guardian’s “purpose” but it’s just a game. I’m more interested in fun than whether something feels like it fits.

I’m not even going to try thinking what utilities could replace traps. The problem Anet has to face is that core Guardian is so bad that DH is practically a necessity and they have to somehow make a new Elite better while still keeping the class in its “good spot” i.e. trash tier.?

in Guardian

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

My idea has been and remains to be a spear. (yes that ol’ beaten horse.)
I’d prefer it to be a fast condi-focussed weapon combined with plenty of gap-closing options.

Right now Guardians do not fare well as condition-dealing class and as you said who would give up DH because of the ranged damage?

A ranged option is great but a solid gap-closing option could work as well especially if combined with a more reliable method of granting increased movement speed to oneself.

If the new Elite Specialization would make the Guardian’s mobility greater the desire for ranged combat would be lesser.

For the utilities I think a lot could replace the traps.
Traps aren’t too interesting. You place them, they get triggered, the effect triggers.
Almost no mindgames possible there.

I’d personally like supportive skills which focus on boosting the performance of allies over yourself.
If you’ve played GW:Nightfall think of something along the lines of a chant.

“for 10 seconds you and your allies deal …% more damage with their next … attacks.”

This type of skill wouldn’t be useless for a solo Guardian but would shine in multiplayer combat.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

shield becomes main hand or 2-handed weapon.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Guardian

Etterwyn.5263

“for 10 seconds you and your allies deal …% more damage with their next … attacks.”

That’s Feel My Wrath with a slight buff. Not that I’d mind that one bit.

I like your spear idea. In fact, I think the current underwater spear skills would be pretty kitten awesome if we could use them on land! I dare say I’d take that skill bar over longbow’s in a heartbeat.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

2h weapon + shield like Diablo 3 we need that elite spec to have the same sustain as otjer classes and still be usefull

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

rifle, land spear/trident or riot

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in Guardian

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

My idea has been and remains to be a spear. (yes that ol’ beaten horse.)
I’d prefer it to be a fast condi-focussed weapon combined with plenty of gap-closing options.

Right now Guardians do not fare well as condition-dealing class and as you said who would give up DH because of the ranged damage?

A ranged option is great but a solid gap-closing option could work as well especially if combined with a more reliable method of granting increased movement speed to oneself.

If the new Elite Specialization would make the Guardian’s mobility greater the desire for ranged combat would be lesser.

For the utilities I think a lot could replace the traps.
Traps aren’t too interesting. You place them, they get triggered, the effect triggers.
Almost no mindgames possible there.

I’d personally like supportive skills which focus on boosting the performance of allies over yourself.
If you’ve played GW:Nightfall think of something along the lines of a chant.

This type of skill wouldn’t be useless for a solo Guardian but would shine in multiplayer combat.

It’s funny, as I love the idea of spear being used on land for a class, but I also think of GW1. Heavy armour class with spear was paragon, and it EXCELLED at granting movement speed. You may get your wish for Guardian. XD

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

modifying the spear as a mainhand only ranged wep could allow us to still use focus or shield while giving us a reason to use GS or Hammer again in pvp

in Guardian

Redfeather.6401

modifying the spear as a mainhand only ranged wep could allow us to still use focus or shield while giving us a reason to use GS or Hammer again in pvp

I think spear/shield would be awesome.

in Guardian

Posted by: Silmariena.6205

Silmariena.6205

Spear as mele weapon <3 and utility symbols → grant boosts to alies and dmg foes <3 it’s so simple and needed. Increases movment speed when wielding twohanded weapon (?) <3

Second sword would be nice too ;>

in Guardian

Redfeather.6401

Here’s what I think spear skills should be.

1 -> Channeled skill (you can move while channeling)
Throw spears in quick succession. The last spear cripples it’s target.
You could use this skill to attack multiple targets by sweeping action camera around, or tabbing to different targets, etc. Or focus all the hits on one target.

2 -> Charging Impale move
Similar to scapper’s Shock Shield move… you can freely control your character as they run forward. They will impale and hold every enemy they come in contact with. After the charge is finished they kick the enemies off the spear.
Just the thought of gathering up enemies and then knocking them back sounds fun. I haven’t seen a CC skill do that yet.

3 -> A 3 part Skill Chain
The first attack throws a spear that causes bleeding
The second attack throws a spear that causes torment
The third attack is a melee attack that low sweeps the spear knocking down targets
First two attacks would cause conditions, while third attack would have a high power coefficient. The recharge of the skill will be very high, but only if you complete the chain. Performing just the throwing attacks, but not performing the third, will lower the skill’s recharge by 66%!

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

in Guardian

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

Please don’t make a thrown spear, please don’t make a thrown spear…
Polearm for close ranged combat, power/condi damage with gap closers and control.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

Melee spear would be nice :|, weapon coul be designed to be used as 2h weapon like a pole arm to.

in Guardian

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

+1 looking forward to shield/shield

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

+1 looking forward to shield/shield

And then a bow in each hand!!!!!

Next will be the double face palm rifle.

in Guardian

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

A spear would fit nicely. Easily done since you can just use the underwater tridents instead of creating an entirely new weapon

Bad Elementalist

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

We won’t see double shield. I doubt we’ll see land spears as well.

I imagine we’ll get an axe or another melee weapon.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Next will be the double face palm rifle.

Pls Anet, I want to Long Arm of the Law

https://youtu.be/Hjhx_K3_wco

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

I would like to have an off-hand healing based weapon.

Guardian’s off-hand weapons:

• torch – heavily offensive,
  • shield – supportive, ranged combat,
  • focus – supportive, melee combat.

Currently there is no off-hand weapon for Guardian which improves healing. It would be nice to have something like that to combo with Mace.

On the other hand Torch/Torch condi guard could be nice as well.

(edited by Assic.2746)

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

I think our current underwater spear skills could be very easily adapted for land use.

Auto attack is a medium range (900) somewhat slow attack that deals fair damage, #2 is a mobile multi-hit attack on low cool down which synergizes with virtue of justice, #3 would be an aoe (would have to change the animation) burst attack with a decent cooldown for blasting fields, #4 would be a low aoe sweep followed by an evade backwards. This skill would creat a very damaging multi-hit light field at guardian’s original spot. #5 would be a high damage, medium range (900) pull on a 20 to 25s cd, great for both 1v1s and singling out a target amongst a group. Additionally, other condis such as bleed, torment and weakness should be attached to this weapon based on what they wanted for the elite spec.

Well as awesome as everyone’s spear suggestions sound I highly doubt they will bring spears to the land….ever. there are just too many complications: would other classes get spears? Would there still be underwater spears? Lots of skill and trait re-balancing to be done. Although…. if they ever did introduce underwater weps on land, an elite spec is the place to do it! For example: maybe an expac where every class gets access to their underwater wep as their elite spec’s weapon (although a harpoon gun would be a bit awkward… maybe a repeating crossbow instead).

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

the next spec will NEED to be ranged too, stop saying melee spear, guardians simply can’t rely on scepter as the long ranged pressure weapon anymore.

unless you somehow expect anet to fix scepter or staff.

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

the next spec will NEED to be ranged too, stop saying melee spear, guardians simply can’t rely on scepter as the long ranged pressure weapon anymore.

It’s irrelevant what weapon they give as they’ve shown that they’ll create a typical melee weapon and turn it into a ranged one. For instance, Mesmer greatsword.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

An off-hand shield should be nice.

in Guardian

Ghotistyx.6942

That meme died months ago

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Don’t forget that whatever the weapon will be, it won’t be possible to use it with longbow on swap. (I’m just saying.) I love the idea of axe, melee polearm, double torch and even double shield or what about main focus for ultra support skills?
But for starters, it would be nice if they fixed sword, scepter, spirit weapons and ress signet. All these are useless

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

It’s irrelevant what weapon they give as they’ve shown that they’ll create a typical melee weapon and turn it into a ranged one. For instance, Mesmer greatsword.

you do realize melee actually means close range right? I said stop asking for melee spear, which in turn would force guardians to rely on scepter as their only ranged weapon since you can’t use a spear AND a longbow at the same time.

if Anet adds axe for guardians as a ranged wep, fine with me, but it absolutely CANNOT be melee only, or 90% of guardians will stick with DH.

in Guardian

Nero.8047

Would a ranged-option truly be that mandatory if the gap-closers were to be fast rushes or even teleports/shadowsteps alike Judge’s Intervention?

I personally would prefer a fast, gap-closing melee weapon if only to bypass all the reflects.

Scepter is indeed not too great in PvP right now and it would be great if it were to see changes. But I do not think Guardian’s should have a forced ranged weapon with their next elite specialization because of this.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

you do realize melee actually means close range right? I said stop asking for melee spear, which in turn would force guardians to rely on scepter as their only ranged weapon since you can’t use a spear AND a longbow at the same time.

if Anet adds axe for guardians as a ranged wep, fine with me, but it absolutely CANNOT be melee only, or 90% of guardians will stick with DH.

Why is a ranged weapon so mandatory? We did great as burn guards or bunkers before HoT, and I would gladly go back to that. If by going back we mean by actually making this stuff work again. The how of it is quite irrelevant to me.

I’m in favor of the 2-handed variant of the spear, and it would work as a melee condi weapon. We could call it a glaive to avoid confusion with the water-based spear/harpoon.

One thing to notice, that should they add entirely new weapons along with ESpecs, they wouldn’t need to make any low lvl variants/skins for that weapon. It is only used by an ESpec, thus it is only usable by lvl 80 characters. And they make new weapon skins all the time, can it be that hard to make a few dozen skins for a new weapon type? Granted that they may want to do Legendary weapons for such new weapon types, and that is a bigger process.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Posted by: LucifersHoly.4593

LucifersHoly.4593

I just want my paragon back Q_Q

in Guardian

Nero.8047

It’s alright lucy, we all want our paragons back.
You may shed your tears.

in Guardian

Ghotistyx.6942

I still have my Paragon. I don’t know what y’all are complaining about.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Nero.8047

before this gets off-topic about Paragons again:

• Yes, you can still log onto GW1 and play a Paragon.
  • Yes, it is still fun to play a Paragon in GW1.

I believe it’s generally accepted that a statement such as:
“I want the Paragon back” on a GW2 Forum means.
“I want something in GW2 that feels/plays like a Paragon from GW1.”

Which I personally agree with.
I love the Paragon’s playstyle in GW1 and I would love for it to be an option for my Guardian in GW2.

Back on topic though:
The underwater spear for Guardian (and for other classes such as Revenant) show that it can be used for both close-combat and ranged combat.

Having a 2-handed spear (used on land) would allow for.
1. fast (condition) damage.
2. gap closers.
3. active blocks.
4. ranged damage + melee damage combined.

I personally would like for it to be themed around the Guardian’s fiery side.

• When blocking an attack you unleash a fiery burst.
  • When closing a gap you leave a fiery trail.
  • Conditions applied by the spear would apply the burning condition and additional conditions to cover the burning. (Condi-Guardian is fun to play but a single condition is simply too easily countered these days.)

I’d also like to voice my opinion that, although ranged combat can work for a two-handed spear I’d rather see it focussed on melee combat and gap-closers.

in Guardian

Buran.3796

Guardian died a year ago. Didn’t touch mine since the second season on the PvP league, and based on the performance of the class in the Pro League I really don’t care about their next wepon for guard. Could be a main hand horn as far as I care.

in Guardian

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Dual torch would be rly funny. But a bit weird to look at.

in Guardian

Yannir.4132

Guardian died a year ago. Didn’t touch mine since the second season on the PvP league, and based on the performance of the class in the Pro League I really don’t care about their next wepon for guard. Could be a main hand horn as far as I care.

Then you are in the wrong place, my friend. Play somewhere else!

All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Buran.3796

Then you are in the wrong place, my friend. Play somewhere else!

The TC asked for new weapons, I would love to have a functional shield for some viable use because I’m crafting the legendary one for my Rev and would be nice if my Guard (which already has Eternity) had some use for it.

I known that developers barely read in their own forums (currently are mostly busy with their PR talk on Reddit) but as a player which mained a Guard and has near 5k hours in the game and recently completed the last HoT map, Personal Story, Guardian of the Vale raid and PvP Season 3 using only a Rev I find frustrating the “good spot” -the grave, to be honest- in which Guardian is.

There’s nothing wrong about to wish new weapons for the Guardian… except that the current ones doesn’t work, and the only one barely close to “viable” (longbow) couldn’t be used with the new specialization.

in Guardian

Nero.8047

The Shield is a more than viable weapon on the Guardian right now.
The issue most players see with it is that it doesn’t boost DPS further.
It provides a lot of utility however:

1. The knockback on 5. is amazing for players in pvp, seeker orbs in raids and a few other occasions.
  2. The Aegis + protection on 4. has been a nice on-demand save for my party a few times in fractals and PvP, it is harder to land compared to “Retreat!” but it surely has its use.
  3. The Projectile Absorption on 5. is amazing. in PvP it nearly halves the incoming damage on your team during an on-point fight at mid. In PvE you relieve a lot of pressure as well. The problem being a lot of “projectiles” not being projectiles these days such as the Mordrem Sniper’s “Snipe”.

Overall the Shield is not a useless off-hand to me.
I’d rather take it over the focus in PvP.
The focus is mostly selfish sustain, the shield offers protection to your party.
You literally “Shield” your allies.

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

its still the worst shield skill set in the entire game.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Two handed shield or land spear or melee staff

RP enthusiast

in Guardian

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

Truthfully, the next spec NEEDS to be melee because Guardian is designed as almost an exclusive melee class. All of our utilities require us to be in the thick of things because of their small radius of effect. My personal opinion LB was given because of popular demand for a range, but was a mistake since no changes were made any utilities to reflect a ranged class.

Most likely we’ll get an off-hand for our next elite either sword, dagger, or axe. Unless it is two-handed a lot of the elite specs got off-hand weapons.

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Realistically it’ll probably be warhorn, it’ll probably be healing based and it’ll probably suck.

in Guardian

Posted by: BadSanta.6527

BadSanta.6527

I was thinking about axe main hand – dark knight . Skills will be glyphs. The mechanism I’ll change that every f1-3 will represent mode , mode of justice and etc f1 is condi mode and make all glyphs condi effect , f2 healing mode make all glyphs healing effect and f3 make all glyphs buff / protect your self every 5 sec it’s just first thought still need more work but ihopw you understand where Ian aiming to

in Guardian

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I am guessing that the upcoming guard elite spec will be tome-oriented (not quite the tomes we remember, just the idea of them). Perhaps one or more of those tomes will allow for solid ranged pressure.

NSPride <3

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

The Paragon Hand-Cannon.

Long have the magical powers of the Paragon been drawn to protect the weak by those who would now call themselves Guardians.

Recently this power was drawn upon in order to counter the threat of Mordremoth and his dragons, the Paragon granted Guardians a bow.

Now there is a new threat through reflection, and an unlikely magic has arisen to imbue the Guardians in their struggle.

Pistol:

1. Ley Blast 1s cast time
Fire a magical shot of pure energy. Place yourself into the downstate
gain access to Wrath, Wave of Light, Symbol of Judgement, Bandage.

2. Ley Port 2s cast time
The Guardian fires at the ground, scorching it with pure energy.
Place yourself into the defeated state and instantly respawn at the nearest waypoint
gain access to merchant, banker, armour repair, black lion trading post.

3. Ley Lineage 3s cast time
Crouch down and charge up for a huge attack. The Guardian fires into the air and creates his own Ley conduit! Exit GW2 to desktop

in Guardian

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

They should get an Off Hand Scepter… Yeah, I said it!

in Guardian

Yannir.4132

Realistically it’ll probably be warhorn, it’ll probably be healing based and it’ll probably suck.

I think it’s rather unlikely that they’ll give us a healing based warhorn. We already have many of the tools to be a good support class, most of them just need some attention in the form of changes and tweaks. I hope they’ll fix guardians support abilities before the next xpac, and focus their attention on alternative playstyles for the new ESpec.

All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Etterwyn.5263

Yes, double the fail!

in Guardian

Nero.8047

Yes, double the fail!

Don’t say that, you’d be the nightmare of all environmental destructible objects.
Burning Oil in the Urban Battlegrounds Fractal would surely ask for a nerf.

in Guardian

Yannir.4132

Yeah, #5 would be an another autoattack! Double the orbs!

All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Nero.8047

Skill #4 gives your target evasion so you save them the bother of moving once. ^^