You roll a guardian? Take human!

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Signet is generally best just because of Signet Mastery making it 32 seconds, and the fact that there isn’t really anything good in that line short of Radiant Power (which is still basically mandatory). Prayer to Dwayna is an average heal but it’s nothing special compared to the signet’s near-full heal, and is only 2 seconds faster CD. Even comparing 30 seconds to 40, Signet is generally better just because it’s a large burst heal. Guardians typically only need to heal once or twice a fight, tops, anyway, due to their natural regeneration and high innate defense.

Wait..what?

Radiance has some of our best trees. Inner Fire is amazing. Now Zeal, yeah that tree needs a rework. It’s almost entirely useless. Fiery Wrath is good, but it’s debatable on getting more for those 10 points in another tree.

in Guardian

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

Well, it’s not about using Dwayna all the time. If you want burst heal and condition remove, use signet, if you want block, use shelter – and if you want the best possible hps, use dwayna. And you can’t do that unless you are a human.

It’s all about the ability to adapt. The other healskills are good, too. I wish OP would have made that clear. Oh wait, he did:

- Shelter: A nice option. Being able to block some attacks is great in some instances. For instance, you double-dodged in front of Alpha and you’re now out of endurance. Well, you got a get out of trouble card with this one as you can regain your endurance while skill evading his attack. …

- Signet of Resolve: Another nice option. Over time, you get healed in the same range as Prayer to Dwayna. In terms of pure heal, this is the best shot for a guardian without race consideration. …

Of course the difference is not that big. Choosing a race you like is more important. I wish OP would have made that clear. Oh wait, he did:

In this game except for lore and personal preferences, …

(edited by Molch.2078)

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

Why is this thread even a discussion? Why does it have 50+ posts? Why did I just add to it!?!

Are we seriously debating Prayer of Dwayna vs SoR and Shelter?

Is this real life?

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Signet is generally best just because of Signet Mastery making it 32 seconds, and the fact that there isn’t really anything good in that line short of Radiant Power (which is still basically mandatory). Prayer to Dwayna is an average heal but it’s nothing special compared to the signet’s near-full heal, and is only 2 seconds faster CD. Even comparing 30 seconds to 40, Signet is generally better just because it’s a large burst heal. Guardians typically only need to heal once or twice a fight, tops, anyway, due to their natural regeneration and high innate defense.

Wait..what?

Radiance has some of our best trees. Inner Fire is amazing. Now Zeal, yeah that tree needs a rework. It’s almost entirely useless. Fiery Wrath is good, but it’s debatable on getting more for those 10 points in another tree.

Inner Fire is decent only if you are in a dungeon where you stand to get burned a lot, i.e. CoF. It is pretty much useless elsewhere. The only other good traits short of 25 points are Blind Exposure (average) and Powerful Blades (only if you are using a sword). Otherwise you just take Signet Mastery and Inner Fire and forget about the rest.

I also think Zeal has better traits than Radiance. It’s just that Radiance has Radiant Power and RH Strength, both of which are insanely good. There’s no reason to go 30 in Zeal, but there’s not really any reason to go anything short of 25 in Radiance either.

Honor is probably the best line in terms of overall trait selection.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Your premise is that Guardians are the only profession that truly benefits from the Human heal, however – you are missing exactly why this is so.

Guardians already have incredible passive HPS in their Virtues mechanic. This is why all Guardian heals are long CD and provide a secondary effect. The Guardian doesn’t really need more pure healing because it is built in, what they need are ways to get around issues that their passive healing doesn’t address. Condition removal and blocking provide this, while the ally heal gives them a support option when that’s not necessary.

You don’t really need to heal every 30s because your passive regeneration allows you a lot of sustainability. Instead, your longer CD bigger heal skills allow you to heal when you actually need it while providing bonus effects.

You’re making a huge mistake by focusing on HPS without consideration for other effects. Shelter can easily avoid 2k+ HP and match Dwayna, while the Signet can remove conditions and effectively heal as much or more than Dwayna.

Also, you failed to take casting time into consideration, this closes the gap a little bit since 1s more on a 40s CD hurts the HPS less than it does on a 30s CD.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

This also ignores the healing Power coefficient on SoR. It scales much better in something like Cleric’s gear. SoR has the best coefficient of all Guardian spells @ 1.25

At 1000 healing power things change a lot:

Signet of Resolve:
9400hp on 40 seconds (talented to 32)

Prayer to Dwayna:
7370hp on 30 seconds

Which still means nothing to me in WvW where I will always be using Shelter.

in Guardian

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Don’t forget that -20% signet c/d will boost the SoR HPS by… yeah 20%.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Honor is, imo, even too crowded with good traits, at least compared to the others.

I – Ok, not really good
II – Very nice unless you are somewhere where non-shout-utilities are desparately needed
III – Quite nice for hammer-users
IV/V – Rather not in PvE
VI – Junk
VII – Again, the hammer …
VIII – Does not need any further comment
IX – Would be nice if we had the space for it
X – Hammer again
XI – Like II
XII – Not bad

And then, the minors also shine quite bright in there. If all trait lines had that quality …

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

[T]he fact that you don’t get that helping others can be extremely valuable doesn’t make that skill useless. It just means you are not that suited to the guardian profession[.]

I like relying on team mates that are actually capable of dodging, what about you?

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in Guardian

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Wait..what?

Inner Fire is decent only if you are in a dungeon where you stand to get burned a lot, i.e. CoF. It is pretty much useless elsewhere. The only other good traits short of 25 points are Blind Exposure (average) and Powerful Blades (only if you are using a sword). Otherwise you just take Signet Mastery and Inner Fire and forget about the rest.

I also think Zeal has better traits than Radiance. It’s just that Radiance has Radiant Power and RH Strength, both of which are insanely good. There’s no reason to go 30 in Zeal, but there’s not really any reason to go anything short of 25 in Radiance either.

This conversation would be much easier if my posts would stop being removed. This is getting annoying. I’m not putting anything bad in them, and yet they continue to get deleted.

This is about the third time it’s happened, and only on the Guardian forums. O.k. rant over.

I pointed out in my post that out of the professions available Thief is the only one that doesn’t cause burning. The others do with a good frequency. Inner fire also has no icd. Meaning you can gain 100% fury uptime from it. Then of course their is RHS/5% damage with sword, which is a staple of most burst builds because of the massive amount of burst you can get from a fc5/gsww/sword 2/3 or AA chain combo.

Remember that sword chain has a 3.1 coefficient only if all of the projectiles from the third part of the chain hit. If they don’t you fall down below zd which has a 2.65 but can hit them as they run away. Shield of Wrath (focus 5) has a 2.5 coefficient on it. With proper timing the burst is really strong.

Shown in several videos, two on the front of the forums.

I guess I should say that Radiance has some of our most important talents for burst builds. It’s different if you run a bunker build I know,

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Hmm, and here my Norn was abusing the heck out of Snow Panther form. Because no one with an ounce of imagination could figure out a use for OMG-long stealth and a monstrously long sprint, nope, nope, nope…

Can’t say I miss the puny human prayers at all.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Guardian

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

@GSSBlunaspike:
Well, basically we are saying the same thing. Races aren’t supposed to influence your profession choice, but they may do.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Guardian

GSSBlunaspike.4153

@GSSBlunaspike:
Well, basically we are saying the same thing. Races aren’t supposed to influence your profession choice, but they may do.

Of course, I was just being a bit funny the first time. Though I suppose having to explain it means I faied =(

I think that they really went in a bad direction with racial abilities. I wish they would improve them. I don’t like that some racial abilities are simply better than others, and some racial abilities are in fact better than profession abilities. I originally thought that they would simply make racial abilities be cosmetic in nature. Similar to the asura aoe racial abilities simply being how asura aoe’s looked.

in Guardian

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

ohhai hunam gaurdian here

never going to use anything else than shelter or in rare occassions signet. maybe it’s a secret but shelter in many times effectively heals you more than any other healing skill when you take in account that you also block attacks at same time while giving them nasty burning and retaliation.

hunam racial skills are not really very useful in general.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Fun fact, Shelter used to heal about 30% more in Beta. Those were the good old days. Shouts were 1200 range, too.. *sigh*

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

GSSBlunaspike.4153

ohhai hunam gaurdian here

never going to use anything else than shelter or in rare occassions signet. maybe it’s a secret but shelter in many times effectively heals you more than any other healing skill when you take in account that you also block attacks at same time while giving them nasty burning and retaliation.

hunam racial skills are not really very useful in general.

The hounds cause burning on basic attacks, at least that can be used with the trait to give 10% more damage.

It’s not much but it’s something. Asura probably have the best utilities for us, but as a profession our weakness is in our ultimates (forgot what they are called in this game)

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

shelter is for wvw/spvp
resolve for everything else

in Guardian

GSSBlunaspike.4153

shelter is for wvw/spvp
resolve for everything else

So shelter is for anything that matters =P

in Guardian

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Hmm, and here my Norn was abusing the heck out of Snow Panther form. Because no one with an ounce of imagination could figure out a use for OMG-long stealth and a monstrously long sprint, nope, nope, nope…

Can’t say I miss the puny human prayers at all.

I’ve been using it since my guardian obtained enough SP myself in WvW.