Your weapon choice and why!

in Guardian

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Hey guys,

I just would like to get a good idea on everyones’ weapon choice and why they chose it. I’m a little bit stubborn and refuse to use anything outside of the blade family (sword and greatsword) haha but that’s mostly for style than anything else. Also, I love multi-hit moves both of which sword and greatsword provide and moves that allow you to get closer to the opponent.

leap of faith -> symbol of wrath -> whirling wrath -> weapon swap -> (i dont know names for swords) “sword move that teleports you and blinds” -> “projectile blades”

^ my most used offense combo, everything else is used for interrupting enemies from doing moves (binding blades 2nd skill does wonders or the shield’s shield of absorption) and pushing the enemy around

My huge weakness is projectiles, but consecrations make up for it…but if not, gotta switch out sword/shield with staff…may try mace but it just isn’t me ;(

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

For open world PvE: Sword/Shield + Greatsword: Good and quick killing, but still able to have some clutch-support if needed. In groups I gravitate more towards the Hammer or the Mace.

For PvP I pretty much always use a Hammer. It’s such a great well-rounded weapon.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: TheBlueRaja.4293

TheBlueRaja.4293

For PvE:

I usually role with GS + mace/focus.

GS still feels, at least to me, to put out the best overall damage in PvE plus its mobility is much better than Hammer for PvE. Sometimes I will throw on a Hammer just to change things up, or if I want to add even more durability to my mace/focus combo.

IMO, nothing beats mace/focus in terms of survivability. Heals, blocks, blinds, mace/focus has got a little bit of everything to keep our tiny health pools topped off.

For the tiny amount of time I have spent in WvWvW I went with Staff + scepter/focus.

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Open world pve:
Hammer in combination with GS or 1h sword and focus.

Dungeons:
Hammer in combination with scepter+shield/focus and i also swap the scepter for 1h sword.

Tpvp/Spvp:
Hammer and 1h sword+focus. On foefire i sometimes switch the 1h sword for scepter.

WvW:
Hammer and staff.

Knights or vit/tuv/pov gear with a mix of berserker accessories and weapons is what u usually use. But i also have a very interesting combo going with pre/vit/heal gear going and it might be very interesting to see what this will take me.

Also fool around with 1h sword+scepter as my combination of weapons in wvw and also in spvp.

But imo hammer is superior to every weapon we have as soon as you learn to land the chain and the reason for that is that its not dependent on any cd at all to keep dps or boons right at your fingertips.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

I like to run around with mace/shield and sword/focus.

I’m not in any hurry to kill anything as long as it eventually dies and my survivablility is excellent.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

GS\mace+focus →for dungeons and orr exploring
Staff\mace+focus →for particular parts of dungeon.
GS\Scepter+Shield →WvWvW
Hammer\mace+shield → Spvp

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

in Guardian

Posted by: Telegraph.7509

Telegraph.7509

PvE: GS + sword/Focus or torch

WvW: Scepter/shield + staff (switch out staff for GS when I do rushes outside the gate of a besieged tower/keep)

Traits are completely different for each as well.

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Solo pve, greatsword and either a Mace/focus or hammer. I used to run sword/torch, but it seems so second rate to a gs.

spvp hammer/gs

wvw gs/hammer usually gs combined with staff/sceptre-focus
If it is a long running outdoor battle, I will switch to teh scepter-focus. I still prefer the GS because of its leap. With no run buff to us, we need the leap to do any damage. The staff is purely for getting around. Also, the 4 skill will heal you up nicely if you are running AH. I often use a hammer to take out supply camp bosses and such.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

Probably no point in posting this because they will just use it to nerf the next preferred weapon.

in Guardian

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

Sword + Shield, in all content types (except underwater, where I go for spear).

I have a good build that works well with this. While there are nuances to the build, I can use carrion armor in PvE (it is cheap) or berserker armor in PvP (it is free there, but expensive in PvE).

The sword gives me a teleport to combat, a quick chain that will proc burning, and short-range+projectile blocker. This is a good setup for on-crit procs and helps deal with positioning issues. The teleport’s utility extends to confusing players and triggering chase instincts that get them away from objectives.

The shield doesn’t seem to get a lot of love from the guardian community, people tend to favor the focus, so I’ll describe the why relative to the focus. Area protection is area protection—far more useful against champions that are 90% immune to blind and more useful when damage is coming from many attacks instead of single large hits. The knockback is an interrupt, knockback, heal, and projectile blocker in one—all very useful and, since I have enough blocks to save myself, a few more is not what I need.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]