Zaphiel Faires - WvW Roaming #1 [Guardian]

in Guardian

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Hey everyone!
I’ve recorded some footage in WvW and made a small movie out of it
http://youtu.be/_Yk7Ybukw2s
Im very sorry for the quality, but i had to do a serious compression on the file because i have a horrible upload speed. If its too bad, try to watch it without full-screen.
There is some info regarding the clips and some other rambling in the youtube description!
I’ll look into some other rendering options for the future, any guides would be appreciated!
Feel free to discuss!

EDIT:
I reuploaded the movie with some better rendering settings! HD should be available soon

EDIT 2:
I just uploaded a second video to youtube!
It’s not Roaming #2, but still pretty entertaining imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTRwBlpvAu4
This is a five minute long 1v1 against a mesmer, so check it out if you wish

EDIT 3:
I had a lot of clips and therefore i chose to create a Roaming #1 Part 2.
I am using the same build so nothing has changed. I will however create another movie at some point with a different build.
Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_EAToDbd0

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

in Guardian

Posted by: iCryptik.1496

iCryptik.1496

Not bad.

I feel like we need to make a sticky about this, because very few seem to do it, but post your build details!

What many of us I’m sure would like to know is…
1. What traits are you using?
2. What armor stats are you using?
3. What trinkets are you using (rings, amulet, acc.)?
4. What weapons and stats are you using?
5. What Runes/Orb’s and sigils are you using.

Give us the details!

Alshazzär
Tarnished Coast [TC]

in Guardian

Posted by: Grazingcattle.1627

Grazingcattle.1627

Why do people insist on using the most annoying music possible in their videos…

God I am old

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

@iCryptik
Yep. I knew there would be some questioning my build, but as i have stated in the youtube description, it’d rather not provide too many details! I therefore never post any of my builds on gw2codex or similar sites. I feel it gives the game more diversity not to.
However its no secret that all my gear is exotic, with runes and sigils as well

Why do people insist on using the most annoying music possible in their videos…

God I am old

Each to his own taste i guess. I tried to keep it modest!

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Solid gameplay. I believe I use a similar build, considering the shouts and lower virtue cooldowns (though you’re clearly not 30 into Virtues…likely running more in Valor; good build, just not my favorite).

Looking forward to more.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Jake.8639

Jake.8639

Killing randoms in WvW is underwhelming considering their gear could be trash. It would be more interesting if you posted your build so we could theorycraft further and perhaps help others shape their own builds, using the video as an example of the traits and build in action. Although you apparently think doing so would be “bad for diversity”. Just my opinion though — couldn’t finish the video because there was nothing to take from it.

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

Killing randoms in WvW is underwhelming considering their gear could be trash. It would be more interesting if you posted your build so we could theorycraft further and perhaps help others shape their own builds, using the video as an example of the traits and build in action. Although you apparently think doing so would be “bad for diversity”. Just my opinion though — couldn’t finish the video because there was nothing to take from it.

The video is mainly for entertainment purposes, as i myself like to see other videos from WvW. Sometimes the opponents might have trash gear, but i tend not to kill people that i see scaled up, unless its a 3-4v1 situation or similar.
The video is therefore not to showcase this build either. Even if i have not posted my build and gear, the basic principle should be pretty easy to grasp. You can see my weapons and utilites.
And yes, i think it would be bad for diversity
I do not understand what you mean by “to take from the video”. It was not supposed to be a tutorial, just something to watch while eating lunch! ^^

in Guardian

Posted by: dagne.8542

dagne.8542

One suggestion I would make to better your game play is your use of elite skill. Renewed focus resets all of your virtues and there were a number of times I saw you use it with all your virtues still up. You can even spam all of them while casting the elite skill.

I personally favor tome of wisdom to troll zergs, but that is just me.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

Looking at the video it looks like a full soldier build with some weird trait combination. he has 10 in radiance because you can see he causes vulnerabilty on blinds, but doesnt refresh justice on kill. he has 20 in virtues based on the cd timers, he has at least 15 in honor because of the dodge heal (most likely more though, i cant find any more examples of traits he has past the 15) and he also has at least 5, most likely more in valor because of aegis being applied at 50% health, so his spec is at least x/10/5/15/20 leaving a possible 20 points up for debate, but most likely he has at least 5 more in valor and 5 more in honor to round them out, leaving only 10 points. He however does not have more than 20 in valor because he does not have might on block. I would say overall though his build is most likely a 0/10/10/30/20 build with 300 healing power + the increased resolve passive heal from virtue 20 I think that would equal out to be about 170-180 per tick which is about what he heals.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

havne’t seen the video yet. plan to during lunch. but just wanted to say – that’s some pretty nifty sherlock holmesing, Bash! XDD

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

One suggestion I would make to better your game play is your use of elite skill. Renewed focus resets all of your virtues and there were a number of times I saw you use it with all your virtues still up. You can even spam all of them while casting the elite skill.

I personally favor tome of wisdom to troll zergs, but that is just me.

Yeah you are definitely right, the use of my elite skill could be better. The reason i’m sometimes using it even with all my virtues up, is to neglect a heavy burst of dmg. Sometimes i try to think ahead and plan for my opponents next move, therefore kinda trying to foresee if he will use a rotation.
This is the case in the 1v1 with the warrior where the guardian suddenly jumps in. I had hoped they would somehow try to burst me at that moment, but i seem to only block a shield stun.
It also gives me time to get my healing ability back if its on CD.
Same thing applies to my healing abilites due to the 2 second block duration. But i’m definitely going to work on my timing! Didnt know i could spam my traits while channeling the spell, thats pretty awesome! Thanks for the tip

@Bash
A+ in observation. You are spot on with my traits, not with my gear however

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

in Guardian

akamon.2769

finally got a chance to watch it and had a ton of fun. really dynamic playing style! you do really well staying on your targets! that one fight in the camp where iirc, that char kept getting up several times with the help of others, you stayed on him like no other and eventually earning your stake.

didn’t know you could spam virtues while renewed focus already used as well! that adds a lot. at times i’d be more using it as an anti-burst as well, but by the time i see it coming and react, i scramble to make sure i hit my virtues to “max” the use of it, lol. so this is good to know.

your vid did for me exactly as you intended it to be. i watched it during lunch on my phone and thoroughly enjoyed it lol. now i want to go home and play!

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

I love logic problems… and math. Math is fun. Sometimes. I’m just going to look at the build from the first and last clips, since a different trait setup is being used in the middle of the video (30 in virtues). I believe slightly different gear is also used in the middle clips…

Regen: 256/tick = 130 + 0.125(1008)
Rejuv: ~181/tick = 84 + 0.06(1008) + 0.25[84 + 0.06(1008)]

1008 healing power; 300 from traits, so 708 from gear.

18,309 max health with no nourishment or fortress buffs. 11,909 base, 3,000 from traits. 3,400 from gear = 340 vitality from gear…

Retaliation deals 330 damage per tick without any stacks of Might.
Retal: 330/tick = 267 + 844/13.4

Therefore, we can tell that he has 844 Power over the base of 916 (total of 1760). 0 from traits, so it’s a total of 844 from gear.

7 seconds of stability from SYG. 15 seconds of Regen and Protection from SY. Therefore, we know that he isn’t using any boon/regen/prot duration-increasing runes.

328 base Burning damage + 100 condition damage from traits + 140 condition damage from 4x Might lines up with the 388/tick seen in the video. No condition damage runes.

So what we know so far is:
0/10/10/30/20
844 Power from gear
708 Healing Power from gear
340 Vitality from gear
No boon duration runes
No Cond Dmg runes
Sup. Sigil of Hydromancy on GS

I’m tired, so I’ll just edit this a bit later. Tell me if I get close though. :> And someone else figure out the runes…I’m too dumb for those.

(edited by Christos de Soufre.3802)

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

Hahaha! You are definitely right that i am using two different builds.
The one in the first clip is the finished build, while the others are the build still in development
But yeah, you are pretty kitten close!

@Akamon
Thanks! Hopefully people will be inspired to move in smaller groups, since imo it is way more fun than to follow the karma express. ^^

in Guardian

akamon.2769

@Chris – commences slow clap lol that was pretty awesome. i need to go hide in the corner and do my homework now. very nice!! haha a thread where people post vids of themselves in action and people having to guess every detail of their build ought to be started.

@KrisHQ – ha, definitely! i find myself enjoying both, but i definitely get to test my skills as a player more so when roaming in smaller groups. looking fwd to part 2, and etc etc

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i’m not sure if this is your skill or the abysmal failures of the others. i really don’t get how anyone could ever lose a 2v1 unless they are completely undergeared or afk.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

i’m not sure if this is your skill or the abysmal failures of the others. i really don’t get how anyone could ever lose a 2v1 unless they are completely undergeared or afk.

Skill/build is always a factor. In the video you can clearly see he has a very tanky build that gets a decent amount of damage done through retaliation. Assuming you can heal/eat the damage that is given to you, retaliation only becomes more powerful when hit on by multiple people, and is even stronger with attacks that use the “machine gun” style of hitting multiple times very quickly. The healway build is such a tanky build that focuses on that style of gameplay and works very well.

It really comes down to what skills you have to handle the situation, and how you use them. And yes, sometimes it is the difference of player skill that makes the difference.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Guardian

Posted by: brogarn.8723

brogarn.8723

Well played Chris!

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

I think Bash gave a decent answer to your question. It has a lot of do with what build they’re running, but of course their ability to execute it as well.
There is definitely some kind of skill involved with PvP’ing, but in WvW there are a lot of bad players and mindless sheep. I try not to kill targets that seem too easy, as even 4v1’s are easily dealt with if all of the opponents are scaled up with bad gear.
But it really depends on their classes and builds! I try alter my playstyle to cope with a lot of different situations.

Even though builds are important, in the long run its really the ability to execute them that is the hard part. Imo people focus too much on builds rather than how to counter different situations. I still have a long way to go in regards to that, since there are a lot of fatal mistakes in my playing!

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

The trick is to focus down the weaker targets and secure a finish with some kind of stability or blanket blocks. Unless they’re thieves and they have a group that actually tries to revive them. It takes a kittening act of congress to get a finish off in that scenario.

Anyway, I’ll take another swing at the rest of the build in a bit. Been busy.

Edit: Would still love a hint on the runes…and the sword set sigils.

in Guardian

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

is this build/gear going to be a secret? :P

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Guardian

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

I love logic problems… and math. Math is fun. Sometimes. I’m just going to look at the build from the first and last clips, since a different trait setup is being used in the middle of the video (30 in virtues). I believe slightly different gear is also used in the middle clips…

Regen: 256/tick = 130 + 0.125(1008)
Rejuv: ~181/tick = 84 + 0.06(1008) + 0.25[84 + 0.06(1008)]

1008 healing power; 300 from traits, so 708 from gear.

18,309 max health with no nourishment or fortress buffs. 11,909 base, 3,000 from traits. 3,400 from gear = 340 vitality from gear…

Retaliation deals 330 damage per tick without any stacks of Might.
Retal: 330/tick = 267 + 844/13.4

Therefore, we can tell that he has 844 Power over the base of 916 (total of 1760). 0 from traits, so it’s a total of 844 from gear.

7 seconds of stability from SYG. 15 seconds of Regen and Protection from SY. Therefore, we know that he isn’t using any boon/regen/prot duration-increasing runes.

328 base Burning damage + 100 condition damage from traits + 140 condition damage from 4x Might lines up with the 388/tick seen in the video. No condition damage runes.

So what we know so far is:
0/10/10/30/20
844 Power from gear
708 Healing Power from gear
340 Vitality from gear
No boon duration runes
No Cond Dmg runes
Sup. Sigil of Hydromancy on GS

I’m tired, so I’ll just edit this a bit later. Tell me if I get close though. :> And someone else figure out the runes…I’m too dumb for those.

Blind Exposure
Meditation Mastery
Superior Aria, Wrathful Spirit, Pure of Voice
Retaliatory Subconscious, Absolute Resolution

The build switching might have thrown a couple of these off. Runes could be anything, didn’t see any obvious tells; if it were me I’d run melandru, but I’m not sure you’d get that much hp with those.

Nice build though, good to see retaliation hasn’t fallen completely out of the game yet. Good balance of not going overboard on healing abilities like many do.

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

Yeah. Retaliation is still one of the best boons IMO.
100b Warriors, Ranger and Thieves usually take a lot of dmg that way.
Since you’re so close to the build anyway, i’ll just go ahead and tell you the runes.
I’m using superior rune of the grove for the protection up-keep. I noticed that in 1v1’s the entangle can be very good, since guardians can easily be kited.
Unfortunately the entangle is pretty unreliable, so i wanted to go for another set of runes, but then i started working on an entirely different build
It adds to the extra healing power as well.
I am running Soldiers on Armor+Weaps and my jewelry is full clerics. It seemed to provide decent healing without sacrificing too much dmg.

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

I know this is double-posting, but i just wanted to make a quick update here instead of creating a new thread.
I have uploaded a new movie with the same build called “Roaming #1 Part2”.
Here is the link if anyone should be interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_EAToDbd0

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

I completely forgot to come back to this. Looks like you already gave all of the answers though. :<

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

Haha yeah. I thought i could go ahead and give you guys some clarification. You did such a good job decoding the build

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

Noticed your comment on your second video. Would you be adverse to someone else (guess) making a video detailing your build, with full credit given of course?

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

Not at all. If you would like to do that you are very welcome to
It has been revealed anyways, must admit it was pretty entertaining seeing that theorycrafting ^^

Edit:
Just PM me if you need clarification on anything!

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

The only thing I’m unsure of is which sigils you’re using on your offset.

in Guardian

KrisHQ.4719

Swiftness and endurance whenever you kill a foe, those were the sigils i used on my weapons With my new build i am using endurance gain on weapon swap however, and it seems to be working better!

in Guardian

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Bump of justice with his latest video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrOt4O_nYA

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

(edited by Adian.8756)