a bit of a noob'ish question

in Guardian

Posted by: Doomcaster.5084

Doomcaster.5084

I know there is no system of tank and healer in GW2 so I want to know what role guardians play in dungeons? Coz a guy asked me in AC whether i wanted to semi-tank the boss?

And if I go and do dungeons with a shield+*another wep* combo(to “tank”) then I’ll have to give traits according to the dungeons and then it’ll be a bit difficult to level.

in Guardian

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

Most of the Guardian community is tank/support based, so they’ll tell you to tank/support.

For the most part that is what the Guardian is made to do. You have options for damage, but they’re limited and not as effective as other Professions. The current balance for the Guardian is about bunker builds, mainly 0/0/30/20/20, and ArenaNet seems fine with almost every Guardian going tank/support.

BTW: Shield isn’t a tanky weapon, the tanky off-hand is the Focus.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

in Guardian

Doomcaster.5084

so Mace+focus is more tanky?

in Guardian

Doomcaster.5084

DPS with a gs is pretty good fron what I’ve seen…

in Guardian

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

DPS with a gs is pretty good fron what I’ve seen…

It’s the best DPS you can get with a Guardian yeah. In PvE you’ll be fine no matter how you play a Guardian, but using the GS for PvE you’ll do really well. PvP is different though.

so Mace+focus is more tanky?

Yeah. The way tanky builds work is from 30 Valor and Altruistic Healing, making every boon you grant heal you. Mace has a block, healing, and constant Regeneration (so you get healed two times over when you grant this boon from Altrustic Healing.) The Focus gives a chain 3-block which allows you ignore any big burst, and it has an AoE Blind and Regen.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Alarox.4590)

in Guardian

Doomcaster.5084

Can i level with the above build?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

You can level while only doing The Watusi. Levels will never be your problem.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in Guardian

Posted by: Haakkelberg.2460

Haakkelberg.2460

I leveled my guard only useing tank build and allways feel like I kill foes whit guard than any of my other classes. Most likely you can’t make stopless dmg to foes, while I can go and make coffee when tanking boss.

My build; 0/10/30/30/0. 10 for singet recharge, 30 for critical hit to might and last 30 to AH. In dungeon runs I get constant 1000hp regen in second or two and while commanding in wvw, hole zerg gives me 1500-2000hp when critting +shouts and natural 270hp regen

Useing full soldier armors whith dolyak runes (+32regen)
Ascended soldier rings and back item and invaders amulet and accessories whith healing power jewels. Weapon, only hammer. Love it. Protection for me and extra regen. Running in wvw I use staff for swiffness and if really need health, skill 4 gives 6k-10k hp.

Victory Hunter [Guardian] -The Bifrost- I -The Juggernaut- I -Kraitkin- -Kamohoali’i Kotaki-
Leader of Kalevala [Kale]
WvW guild of Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Haakkelberg.2460)

in Guardian

Doomcaster.5084

and did you use GS or Mace+focus for leveling?

in Guardian

Posted by: Scourge.1563

Scourge.1563

I lvled and play with GS/Hammer and lovevthe combos I get with them

Naz Gul-Necro/Witch King-Revenant
Watching you Bleed makes me smile…………
Titanium Horde (TANK)(Borlis Pass)

in Guardian

Posted by: Haakkelberg.2460

Haakkelberg.2460

and did you use GS or Mace+focus for leveling?

Used only GS alltime, after build change to AH, used hammer alltime.

Victory Hunter [Guardian] -The Bifrost- I -The Juggernaut- I -Kraitkin- -Kamohoali’i Kotaki-
Leader of Kalevala [Kale]
WvW guild of Far Shiverpeaks

in Guardian

Posted by: Elspeth Tiriel.9243

Elspeth Tiriel.9243

I ended up healing/tanking on a GS power build in most of my dungeon runs pre 60. So I finally just went in with a healing/tank Mace/Focus + Staff build and found the added heals over kill and the added survivabiltiy strong to the point of boring.

It’s funner to just come as you are and 2ndary a staff and some other healing skills.