a great build for all

a great build for all

in Guardian

Posted by: Bleeds.4029

Bleeds.4029

In light of the recent changes, it seems many folks are trying to find a build they are happy with and this seems to flow across all facets of the game. The build I am about to share is not my own creation, but one I found and tried and I really like. So here you go;

Weapon sets:
Sword/mace and shield/focus/torch (I like focus)
Scepter and shield/focus/torch (I find shield to be better here personally)

The build and traits:

10 Zeal and I use the 2 trait, but the 1 trait could also be useful
30 Radiance 1,5,6 all work well for the first trait, then 10 and 11 which are self explanatory
30 Valor 1 or 5 for the first trait, 6 and 12

Pretty simple! Pick which works best for you.

I use the following skills in their respective slots;
6) Healing Signet – huge heal, condition removal
7) Smite Condition – great damage, condition removal, low cd
8) Contemplation of Purity – no brainer here, lose conditions and gain boons, break cc
9) Judge’s Intervention – damage, break cc (For pvp swapping in Stand Your Ground is recommended)

(Remember 6-9 also heal you!)

This is a straight forward build that some would argue is better for PvP, and it certainly shines in sPvP. I use it to great effect in PvE however. The meditation heals and stun breaks are not to be under estimated. When you have your sword out you have two teleports readily available from #2 and #9.

I use power, toughness and vitality PvE gear and boost crit chance and damage where I can. I think the big thing is to not to try and min/max so much for PvE. In this game it doesn’t matter.

Also, I can effectively swap in a greatsword, staff or hammer for a change of pace and operate just fine. I solo veterans all the time. This build works just fine without the constant dependance on retaliation or shouts people seem to be so hung up on.

My biggest caution for this build would be WvW. Only because I haven’t really tested it in that setting.

Enjoy

a great build for all

in Guardian

Posted by: Trungalung.7850

Trungalung.7850

I use the same build for SPvP. I would argue using Judge’s Intervention instead of Contemplation of Purity since we have so much condition removal already.

If you want to go full time greatsword, you can use 10/25/30/0/0 with 5 points to go into Vigorous Precision or Inspired Virtues. The GS’s change has no effect on this build since it doesn’t use any symbol trait or retaliation. In PvP, your enemies are not going to stand in your symbol anyway. I would argue it’s a buff in PvP since you get shorter recharge time on Leap of Faith.

In WvW, it suffers the same as any other melee builds. Greatsword would be better choice than sword/focus due to having more control and burst damage. My general tactic would be chain of light, judge’s intervention into whirling wrath. Most of the time they will not expect it since you teleport out of nowhere and crit them for 10k+. Then I would leap back and retreat to my group. You can use ZD from the sword instead of WW if you want, but it will does less damage (still a really good move in SPvP though, chain of light > teleport > ZD).

This build has been my build of choice for SPvP since beta (I frapped a video in beta if you want to check it out). For most of my time in WvW and PvE, I’ve been using the GS meditation build above until the crithammer.

a great build for all

in Guardian

Posted by: Bleeds.4029

Bleeds.4029

Thanks Trungalung, exactly the point really. This build is just so adaptable.

That link is to the video where I originally found the build. Thanks Jacobin!

I keep the heavy condition removal skills on full time because that way my play style and keystrokes are the same in in pvp and pve. Besides that, if I take on something like Destroyers or Orrians that inflict a lot of conditions or knockdowns/stuns I am always prepared. Just my choice, you know.

In WvW, for the little I have done it, I usually just put on my staff and run around buffing and healing as much as I can. I also may take out Judge’s Intervention and swap in something like Save Yourselves, Wall of Reflection or Sanctuary.

Hey Trungalung, are you saying that you like the crithammer build more than this one? I really want to like the hammer, but it seems just so dang slow!! I’m pretty much waiting to see what they roll out for the hammer changes that have been stated as “coming up” before I take it very seriously. In the mean time, I do like to get my hammer out now and then when the need for a MB or two hits me.