any chance that guardian can beat mesmer ?

in Guardian

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

I have tried basically almost every build but none of all I have tried stand a single chance VS a good mesmer. The best I can do is to use a bunker build and can last about 2 mins. Every single mistake I made = lethal.
I play mesmer too, I know exactly how it works, but I just can’t find a way to beat it as a guardian.
Any1 has any good experience VS mesmer?

in Guardian

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

Use a hammer. Mighty blow the hell out of him and his clones.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

in Guardian

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

I’m not a guardian player, so don’t take what I say too seriously, but my view would be that Guardians (being a melee-oriented class) have access to a decent bit of AoE via hammer (as mentioned by Zen) and the Greatsword. Other options are the staff (which I think is a kittening fun weapon for guards, although it doesn’t do well with range, unfortunately) or Smite on Scepter.

The other thing is that Guardians can (and should) be staying right on top of mesmers with their abilities. I know that, as a thief, one of the best ways to counter mes is to get right up in their face and blow their brains out. That’s really the best method I could give you for countering mes. A good mes will be able to escape from you, but even then they’ll be under immense pressure. Don’t get me wrong, mes has good melee options, but… Not as good as a guard.

Your disadvantages are going to be in your lack of range and the fact that you aren’t quite as mobile as mes, so you’ll have to make up for that. If you run a meditation build with Judge’s Intervention, you can stay on top of the mes by teleporting to them. With sword, #2 is a great way to keep up with the mes. GS 3 and 5 either drag the mesmer to you, or you to it. Hammer 5 locks them up (but be careful, because mes can teleport out of the circle. I’ve done this more than enough times on my thief). Scepter 3 also helps lock down opponents.

tl;dr: stay on top of the mes with whatever mobility you can muster; don’t let them out from underneath you hulking greatsword (or whatever). Doing this will put a ton of pressure on them, making the mes more susceptible to mistakes. This isn’t a formula for auto-win, but it’s definitely a very, very powerful strategy.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Guardian

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i think the most important thing to defeat a mesmer is DPS, if you have no damage, then you might as well go grab a drink from the refrigerator, come back and wp.

then , you will also need to know which is the real basketball. which you should know since you play a mesmer.

then, you will need the tools to inflict dmg, aka CC, catching skills etc.

then last but not least, you need to hope that guy is not a good mesmer.

if he is a good mesmer, then go grab a drink too.

in Guardian

CRrabbit.1284

But guardian just don’t have any effective DPS weapon against mesmer.
1-h sword is OK for DPS, but the damage spike can never fully land on mesmer. Hammer is a joke, only MB can do some damage, hammer 1 will never land a single strike. GS = suicide VS mesmer. Only viable weapon is staff, but the dps is far from enough.
My mesmer in WvW simply never lose a single 1v1 VS other classes once I get lv80, I won 99% 1v2 and at least 80% 1v3, only trouble maker I feel as mesmer is a good trap ranger or engi. Guardian is simply the easiest free badge. Everytime I meet a guardian, I know this is a easy one, he can never win, he can never run away.

i think the most important thing to defeat a mesmer is DPS, if you have no damage, then you might as well go grab a drink from the refrigerator, come back and wp.

then , you will also need to know which is the real basketball. which you should know since you play a mesmer.

then, you will need the tools to inflict dmg, aka CC, catching skills etc.

then last but not least, you need to hope that guy is not a good mesmer.

if he is a good mesmer, then go grab a drink too.

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

How to beat a Mesmer:

0/10/30/25/5 or 0/5/30/15/20 (giving you 2 more conditionx3 removals)
Mediation Build
Lyssa Runes
GS + S/F

Fairly simple.

Stay on top of them. You have 4 blinds, 3 gap closers and 1 pull.

You have a passive 10s condition removal, 1 16s condition removal & 2 full condition cleaning.

Just walk away from bunker mesmers. It takes tooo long.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

CRrabbit.1284

Did try something like this, I agree Meditation build is a must VS mesmer, but the GS pull is just simply suicide. Sword can never land any good damage w/o imbl.

How to beat a Mesmer:

Mediation Build
Lyssa Runes
GS + S/F

Fairly simple.

You have a passive 10s condition removal, 1 16s condition removal & 2 full condition cleaning.

in Guardian

Posted by: ValkoorSC.9178

ValkoorSC.9178

Greatsword 5 – Greatsword 2- He runs 80% of the time, pwer mesmers at least.

in Guardian

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Greatsword 5 – Greatsword 2- He runs 80% of the time, pwer mesmers at least.

Blink

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

in Guardian

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

Lol maybe i should explain further.

Mighty blow is a small leap AoE. It will always hit the mesmer as you will be stuck on him like glue. It will also destroy his clones reducing his effectiveness. It also has RoW to trap him and beat his brains out. It has a snare to keep him close (mesmers have very poor mobility anyway)

Traited for 2h mastery, you can rain MB all day long. Mesmers are the last things that should bother you in a 1v1 situation. All you need to know is which is the real one.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Did try something like this, I agree Meditation build is a must VS mesmer, but the GS pull is just simply suicide. Sword can never land any good damage w/o imbl.

How to beat a Mesmer:

Mediation Build
Lyssa Runes
GS + S/F

Fairly simple.

You’re not using the GS pull correctly then: [HINT] It’s not for the Mesmer… there is a 1s delay on shatter.

Sword’s dmg is just fine. You can get 1k off it even when they’re strafing.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

(edited by Amins.3710)

in Guardian

Posted by: Teamkiller.4315

Teamkiller.4315

Guardians are probably one of the worst classes for fighting a mesmer.

Bad mobility, almost forced into melee due to bad ranged options, and lack of conditions, which is the mesmer’s biggest weakness in most cases.

You could say mesmers almost counter us. That having been said, I have won a handful of 1v1’s against mesmers. A good number of these were against uplevels so it doesn’t indicate much but dodging their shatters goes a long way (if they are shatter). Glamour mesmers usually don’t do 1v1’s because they aren’t specced for it.

1-h sword is OK for DPS, but the damage spike can never fully land on mesmer. Hammer is a joke, only MB can do some damage, hammer 1 will never land a single strike. GS = suicide VS mesmer. Only viable weapon is staff, but the dps is far from enough.
My mesmer in WvW simply never lose a single 1v1 VS other classes once I get lv80, I won 99% 1v2 and at least 80% 1v3, only trouble maker I feel as mesmer is a good trap ranger or engi. Guardian is simply the easiest free badge. Everytime I meet a guardian, I know this is a easy one, he can never win, he can never run away.

OK there, shower us with your amazing pvp skills oh godly mesmer.

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Guardians are probably one of the worst classes for fighting a mesmer.

Bad mobility, almost forced into melee due to bad ranged options, and lack of conditions, which is the mesmer’s biggest weakness in most cases.

You could say mesmers almost counter us. That having been said, I have won a handful of 1v1’s against mesmers. A good number of these were against uplevels so it doesn’t indicate much but dodging their shatters goes a long way (if they are shatter). Glamour mesmers usually don’t do 1v1’s because they aren’t specced for it.

OK there, shower us with your amazing pvp skills oh godly mesmer.

It all depends on your build and playstyle. If you’re supporty without much condition removals or cures, then yeah you’re boned. Mediation builds are strong as kitten against Mesmers since the burst heal when you use them will keep you going strong in a fight against one. Also 2 meditation skills are condition cures (smite condition and contemplations of purity) and on a fairly short (or super short for smite condition) cooldown. As for mobility Judge’s Intervention (another meditation skill) tends to make mesmer’s panic and pop their own blinks or dodge rolls prematurely, which makes them easy targets. I use hammer and scepter / torch and for the most part I don’t have a problem holding down mesmers to a distance I can work with. Only thing that does throw me off though is that line of warding style move that pulls you to it if you cross it, which JI counters just fine.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

As a mesmer main I have met a couple guardians who’ve forced me to step off – they didn’t kill me; but I had to fall back and lose the area to the guardian which is to all intents and purposes a victory in PvP (Territory control is more important than an outright kill).

The first thing is pressure; mesmers DPS is not especially good, and much of that comes from their clones, either kittenters or direct attacks from phantasms. Kill their clones and you slash their DPS, a mesmer with no access to clones or shatter fodder won’t do much damage to you.

Next is to take note that Mesmers don’t have a reliable source of poison, combined with poor DPS when their clones are focused down – if you bring decent healing, you can tank the mesmer pretty much all day.

Finally, snares. Mesmers are the slowest class by a long shot (having only 1 reliable speed buff and that has a long cooldown) and are relatively glassy – once you are happy that you don’t have a 3 clone shatter or a bunch’ve phantasms breathing down your neck, get the mesmer rooted or snared and get smacking – putting pressure onto the mesmer forces them to burn dodges so if they’re using evasive deception they’ll also lose a portion of their clone spawning capability.

You might not be able to KILL the mesmer; they have excellent escape strategies available to them – but with no simple way to kill YOU or force you to back off, they’ll have to cede the area – and as I said earlier, winning in PvP is mostly about area control; outright killing people is just a bonus.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Guardian

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Try this:
Hammer // S/F – meditations/ shelter
– Hammer 4 with JI to surprise him and knock him over. Follow with a hammer 3 to hold him up, if it hits, will keep him imo even if he blinks out.
If/when he blinks/stunbreaks get on sword and Sword 2 – 3 on top of him. If he cleansed the burn (from JI), apply more with f1 during this attack.
Use the focus to blind him more. He cant use clones while blinded.
Get the focus 5 also to avoid dmg and if he cant put a combo on you he will take dmg.
When all is on CD get back to hammer and put the circle down. Even if it doesnt get the mes inside, will keep his clones out. Try to keep presure up, burn and blind him and keep clones out with AoE and Hammer wards. The Hammer#4-JI trick is great and can be used many times in a fight.

in Guardian

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

Use the focus to blind him more. He cant use clones while blinded.

Just to reinforce this point, blinding a Mesmer is arguably the most effective counter to their illusions in the game. If you blind the Mesmer before they summon one, the summon will fail completely and the skill will go on full cooldown. Negate a phantasm, and you just cut their DPS. Negate a clone, and you’ve increased your ability to put pressure on the Mesmer while reducing their available ammunition for Shatters.

To apply this when fighting a Mesmer, you should try to use your blinds at points in the fight when the Mesmer doesn’t have any illusions active, which are the times they’re most likely to summon them. This could be at the beginning of a fight, or immediately after a Shatter, or right after you’ve killed a couple of their clones. With good timing, you’ll reduce the pressure on yourself and transfer it to the Mesmer, forcing them to use their defensive cooldowns and increasing your own odds of winning the fight.

in Guardian

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

Hi Guardians.

My name is in game and forums is Osicat, I manage the popular mesmer video and text guide who is sticky on mesmer forums. I could be useful in this thread.

First, exclude al discussions regarding who beat who in a 1 vs 1 situation and you find that the classes fill totally different roles in wvwvw. Some classes have builds who let em in pairs or solo roam around the world and harass/cap. Others like Guardians have extremely strong group combat ability’s. The rate you can ress friendly downed is a gamebraker in group fights, the frontline value you deliver is inreplacebal.

For the 1 vs 1 combat its important to undeerstand the Messmer class. What mesmer have that often name us OP is not that we are better than al other classes in a specific role, its the fact we can fulfill nearly al roles (exept pve condition dps) if we specc for it.

This mean there are builds who will focus mainly on support or big group fighting, example glamour mesmers. This builds give up their 1 vs 1 or smal combat capabilitys in favour for stroger and more valid group combat. If you as a guardian run and catch one of this players moving alone you have a extremly big advantage and the question “Can a guardian beat a Mesmer in 1 vs 1” is a singing YES!

Problem you often not know what specc/build the mesmer have untill you encounter him/her. There are some tricks, if he carry 2 swords he most likley a direct dmg roamer. A scepter user will focus on conditions etc.

What happens from time to time thu when I roam on my mesmer is that I run into a guardian in open field, or some evenings in the Dueling events a guardian who by alot classes sees as unbeateal challange me. Now the situation is different. I play a shatter roaming mobility build (so do most roaming mesmers) and play it well.

For this setup there is no real counter as a guardian. Some builds can create more preassure but die to bursts, some survive longer but go down aswell. The problem is that a shater mesmer have nearly unlimited stunbrakers and mobility moves. No matter what blinds,immobilices or jumps you use a shatter mesmer wont take dmg or get locked down.

If this is unfair? I would say no as guardians have roles and things you can do that a mesmer cant, no mesmer will be as strong as a guardian in ressing ppl in the frontline as a example. We cant reach your tank setup even if we do ok tanks etc.

I add 2 videos to take into consideration when judging guardians abilitys to lock down a mesmer.

First a burst build: First fight and 3:59 is vs guardians.

Second video is more interesting. It show a hammer gardian the class seen as a enemy to mesmers, he fairly tanky aswell. Notice mobility: Fight start at 2:56

Ty for listening

/Osicat

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Hi Guardians.

My name is in game and forums is Osicat, I manage the popular mesmer video and text guide who is sticky on mesmer forums. I could be useful in this thread.

First, exclude al discussions regarding who beat who in a 1 vs 1 situation and you find that the classes fill totally different roles in wvwvw. Some classes have builds who let em in pairs or solo roam around the world and harass/cap. Others like Guardians have extremely strong group combat ability’s. The rate you can ress friendly downed is a gamebraker in group fights, the frontline value you deliver is inreplacebal.

For the 1 vs 1 combat its important to undeerstand the Messmer class. What mesmer have that often name us OP is not that we are better than al other classes in a specific role, its the fact we can fulfill nearly al roles (exept pve condition dps) if we specc for it.

This mean there are builds who will focus mainly on support or big group fighting, example glamour mesmers. This builds give up their 1 vs 1 or smal combat capabilitys in favour for stroger and more valid group combat. If you as a guardian run and catch one of this players moving alone you have a extremly big advantage and the question “Can a guardian beat a Mesmer in 1 vs 1” is a singing YES!

Problem you often not know what specc/build the mesmer have untill you encounter him/her. There are some tricks, if he carry 2 swords he most likley a direct dmg roamer. A scepter user will focus on conditions etc.

What happens from time to time thu when I roam on my mesmer is that I run into a guardian in open field, or some evenings in the Dueling events a guardian who by alot classes sees as unbeateal challange me. Now the situation is different. I play a shatter roaming mobility build (so do most roaming mesmers) and play it well.

For this setup there is no real counter as a guardian. Some builds can create more preassure but die to bursts, some survive longer but go down aswell. The problem is that a shater mesmer have nearly unlimited stunbrakers and mobility moves. No matter what blinds,immobilices or jumps you use a shatter mesmer wont take dmg or get locked down.

If this is unfair? I would say no as guardians have roles and things you can do that a mesmer cant, no mesmer will be as strong as a guardian in ressing ppl in the frontline as a example. We cant reach your tank setup even if we do ok tanks etc.

I add 2 videos to take into consideration when judging guardians abilitys to lock down a mesmer.

First a burst build: First fight and 3:59 is vs guardians.

Second video is more interesting. It show a hammer gardian the class seen as a enemy to mesmers, he fairly tanky aswell. Notice mobility: Fight start at 2:56

Ty for listening

/Osicat

Actually shatter Mesmers are super easy to counter once you see a ton of clones gunning for you with no real Mesmer in sight. Granted a tanky Mesmer who runs shatter is a VERY annoying combo, but still, the biggest giveaway are the clones doing the suicide bomb. Still, very informative post regarding weapon wield styles with Mesmers.