can i be a tank?

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: Vhenom.5621

Vhenom.5621

Well, i was a tank in other games, i have a mesmer and necro 80, guardian 55… and i would like very much to be a tank again, you know that feeling, do what makes you happy… in this case dont care about dps, let others do it, be immortal, carry a huge shield etc,… and i know that gw aim to freedom about build choices because every class can do everything… well, no, every class can only do dps… because i understand that someone that aim for defense or heal are not welcome in groups… right? so or you are a dps, or you are do it wrong. (i mean pve mainly)

I read a lot these foruns and i see a lot of “you must use GS or Hammer for support… etc etc” if i like a mace with a shield, a defensive build to tank monsters while i see others dpsing or something like that, i am wrong and i should not be playing. Simple as that. Am i wrong? can i be a tank and be useful? or the freedom that anet wanted has fallen into everybody needs to be the same (no freedom)?

WoW used to bothers me with a similar thing, if 1 point in my build is here and not there, my build is wrong and i must not play. Everyone (that wanted to progress) ended to have the same build… and seems to me that gw2 is going to same direction… please tell me i am wrong and blind, and show me the way…

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: Mightymealworm.8409

Mightymealworm.8409

Tanks need aggro to be useful, you can’t get that reliably in this game. Also, with no dedicated healers, no one could keep you up even if you could manage aggro. This is a different kind of mmo.

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

in short no you can’t

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

(…) and seems to me that gw2 is going to same direction… please tell me i am wrong and blind, and show me the way…

Anet is trying to avoid that thats why they are giving new skills once in a while to classes.

The designated tank in gw2 is called bunker and atm there are classes that can bunker beter than guardian since they can have a much beter DPS.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Wrong game.
No.
Unreiable aggro and no dedicated healer = no tanks.
Nisba.
You’d just be a hinderance to your team.
Nada.
“No more trinity” in manifesto since 3 years ago -> Wants to be a tank -> /wat

Pick your preferred answer.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

in short no you can’t

Spoken from one inhabiting lala-land?
Guardian can be one hell of a tank.

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

in short no you can’t

Part of the definition of tanking is the ability to hold aggro. Being able to actually mitigate attacks is the other part of it. While guardian can mitigate attacks fairly well through dodges, blocks, blinds and the occasional direct hit. Gw2 does not support the traditional aggro mechanics.

There is a aggro system put in place, however there is no guarantee that you can keep the mobs from attacking your team mates. Here is how the aggro mechanics work according to wiki:

For a neutral (yellow outlined) NPC the player must attack first to gain its attention. The aggro table of a hostile NPC changes dynamically depending on a number of factors, in order of importance :

closest target to them
who is dealing damage
top damage dealers
who is using a shield / has more toughness and overall armor
others (see Tanking tactics below)

Taken from: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

in short no you can’t

If you define tank like “standing uselessly around at full health while the mob kills your group members and ignores you”, then yes, you can be a tank. Otherwise:

in short no you can’t

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

I think all said to this question.

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

in short no you can’t

If you define tank like “standing uselessly around at full health while the mob kills your group members and ignores you”, then yes, you can be a tank. Otherwise:

in short no you can’t

Lol, captain clueless to the rescue. Umm, Guardian tanks just fine, kills just fine. Cya on the WvW battlefield. Stay toasty.

can i be a tank?

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Lol, captain clueless to the rescue. Umm, Guardian tanks just fine, kills just fine. Cya on the WvW battlefield. Stay toasty.

Reading comprehension: F. Have a look at what the OP said about WvW.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley