greatsword (a terrible weapon for pvp)

in Guardian

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

i see so many guardians using greatsword (including me till now) but if u think about it its impossible to kill people with half brain with it while roaming.

terrible cc ,slow procs ,impossible to stick to the target and the most inaccurate projetiles in game.

i just finished weaponsmithing and im seriously thinking of crafting a one handed sword and combine it with a torch and be able to damage like a normal class.

even when you are chased its only cc it to pull enemies on you and then see them dodge your whirling wrath.

i believe torch is by far the best guardian weapon with zealots and cleansing flames you can really stick to your target .

even scepter makes more sence than greatsword with the instant immobilize.

do your self a favor and try other weapons before crafting an ascedend greatsword.

stop using them untill Anet realizes how many problems it has.

its a flashy weapon that is below medicore at almost everything except dungeons.

i dont know if i make a rant right now or found the solution.
all i know is that im beggining to lvl huntsman soon to craft a good torch.

action combat made mmos better lol

(edited by jihm.2315)

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

GS is very predictable in any pvp environment. You’re better off going hammer for the most part. MB out dps WW, and is easier to land with a lower CD. It gives you CCs to also keep on target. Sure it doesn’t have as much sustain dmg as GS, but it doesn’t matter if you can’t land it.

Against unskilled or average players GS is good to great, but when you start playing against people that know what they’re doing. You see the faults in the weapon. I love the GS, but it shouldn’t be your main weapon in PvP.

Just my thoughts.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

yes hammer even if slower weapon its a lot better
but for a standard damage i think i will go sword/torch and focus the teleport on sword is pretty nice.
greatsword is probably the worst guardian weapon and the most used, cant support cant damage anything more than downed players, it needs a better cc to unleash its potential but i dont see it happening soon.

action combat made mmos better lol

(edited by jihm.2315)

in Guardian

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

gs is a bursty weapon, hammer is a sustained dps weapon. Sword is a sustained dps weapon as well.

GS is also more “mobile” than hammer.

Reason most go gs/sw+fo is because of mobility and burst.

But yes, gs is easy to predict

in Guardian

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Pfft, with all the animation cancelling it’s just a simple rant out there.
GS has good autoattack chain, 2nd skill is an extra bread for AOE damage, not too good, but yeah – pretty decent damage, 3rd skill is one and the only guardian dash?… long range fast dash that AOE blinds at the end?… 4th is a symbol that provides retaliation, once again somewhat decent – and 5th skill is a pull spell that has a multitude of usages…It’s perhaps the best way to kill an enemy in Skyhammer map in PvP. You can also almost insta-down an enemy when using BB in combination with JI(it’s possible for an enemy to get hit multiple times(up to 5) with BB).
So… overall a very decent and balanced weapon?… Unlike Warrior’s that requires you to stay in 1 place to channel HB and offers no CC whatsoever…
And sword/torch? You’ve just said GS was easy to avoid? sword autoattack chain and 2nd spell are inferior versions of GS dash/autoattack chain respectively, 3rd spell requires you to stand in 1 spot and shoot most obvious projectiles in game…
And torch? Cleansing Flame is a worst spell in the game. It hits ONLY 3 Targets, doesn’t remove conditions from yourself, channels over 5 seconds to do peanuts damage(3.3 damage coefficient over 5 seconds), and is the most telegraphed spell in the entire game.
Zealot’s Fire is pretty good, though. However it has 22.5 second’s cooldown and projectile is VERY slow.
I would really recommend to go with a Focus in your off-hand if you want a one-handed setup. But saying that sword/torch is better than GS is being ridiculous.

(edited by Evalia.7103)

in Guardian

Posted by: xFireize.6318

xFireize.6318

It’s probably not your style. It doesn’t mean it’s broken tho. I enjoy having GS as my main weapon, even after thousands of WvW hours.

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend
Why bother being a Guardian if you don’t guard anyone?

in Guardian

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Is not the best (aka: mos aggressive) loadout in a duel for a meditation fencer (that would probably involve scepter, focus, sword and torch, maybe mace instead of one of them) but is excellent in conquest due in n vs n lets you blind in AoE, hit in AoE and interrupt in AoE. Hammer can be a good replacement but lacks mobility and is more oriented towards a holder/decapper role. Sword is better in 1 vs 1 but there’s a ton of times in which you will be fighting in the center of the map against “#” foes and in those circumstances you will miss the GS (or a good hammer).

in Guardian

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Is not the best (aka: mos aggressive) loadout in a duel for a meditation fencer (that would probably involve scepter, focus, sword and torch, maybe mace instead of one of them) but is excellent in conquest due in n vs n lets you blind in AoE, hit in AoE and interrupt in AoE. Hammer can be a good replacement but lacks mobility and is more oriented towards a holder/decapper role. Sword is better in 1 vs 1 but there’s a ton of times in which you will be fighting in the center of the map against “#” foes and in those circumstances you will miss the GS (or a good hammer).

Yeah, that’s a very legit point. Greatsword is awesome for fighting multiple enemies – that’s what it was made for, after all.
It only makes sense for it to be a little weaker versus a single target, but not like I actually feel that difference in-game.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

In sPvP, it’s an amazing weapon for teamfights since it brings such strong cleave damage to a fight. In WvW, yea, it’s not great outside of heavy zerging, but in sPvP, this is one of the best weapons any DPS guard can have in a teamfight since it makes enemies trying to revive friends fall down.

in Guardian

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

All weapons have good and bad points and fill different roles. The OP is exaggerating the bad in a role where the greatsword doesn’t excel.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in Guardian

Posted by: Neverminder.3296

Neverminder.3296

When I first started GW2, I thought Guardian GS looked dumb – two of the skills being “LET’S SPIN AROUND NNNNNGGG” didn’t endear it to me.

When I started to get heavy into spvp I appreciated the Focus 5 → WW → JI thing, and that’s fun, but after running bunker builds I now use Hammer in both WvW and sPvP for damage builds.

It took a little time to “learn” Hammer but now I like it way better.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

Speak for yourself, I know how and when to use it, and its always been my favorite weapon on my Guardian. Sure it can be better, but so can everything.

One big reason why I love it is that Binding Blade can find targets that are in stealth. I’ve won against many thieves and mesmers with that alone.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jax.5261

Jax.5261

Pfft, with all the animation cancelling it’s just a simple rant out there.
GS has good autoattack chain, 2nd skill is an extra bread for AOE damage, not too good, but yeah – pretty decent damage, 3rd skill is one and the only guardian dash?… long range fast dash that AOE blinds at the end?… 4th is a symbol that provides retaliation, once again somewhat decent – and 5th skill is a pull spell that has a multitude of usages…It’s perhaps the best way to kill an enemy in Skyhammer map in PvP. You can also almost insta-down an enemy when using BB in combination with JI(it’s possible for an enemy to get hit multiple times(up to 5) with BB).
So… overall a very decent and balanced weapon?… Unlike Warrior’s that requires you to stay in 1 place to channel HB and offers no CC whatsoever…
And sword/torch? You’ve just said GS was easy to avoid? sword autoattack chain and 2nd spell are inferior versions of GS dash/autoattack chain respectively, 3rd spell requires you to stand in 1 spot and shoot most obvious projectiles in game…
And torch? Cleansing Flame is a worst spell in the game. It hits ONLY 3 Targets, doesn’t remove conditions from yourself, channels over 5 seconds to do peanuts damage(3.3 damage coefficient over 5 seconds), and is the most telegraphed spell in the entire game.
Zealot’s Fire is pretty good, though. However it has 22.5 second’s cooldown and projectile is VERY slow.
I would really recommend to go with a Focus in your off-hand if you want a one-handed setup. But saying that sword/torch is better than GS is being ridiculous.

Mace

in Guardian

Jax.5261

Speak for yourself, I know how and when to use it, and its always been my favorite weapon on my Guardian. Sure it can be better, but so can everything.

One big reason why I love it is that Binding Blade can find targets that are in stealth. I’ve won against many thieves and mesmers with that alone.

Well when you do fight decent players you’ll find your damage missing entirely. You can come fight me if you wish and you’ll see.

in Guardian

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

GS isn’t a great weapon but against good players it’s no worse then Hammer because you will rarely land the best Hammer attack either. I can’t remember the last time I was immobolized or Banished by a hammer user in spvp. Since I like the easy retaliation and blind and binding blade and like two handers I still use GS. FYI, binding blade is not hard to land at all you can kind of queue it up and then use it a few seconds later to make sure you pull people. Stunning Styles one of the best guardian players I’ve ever seen was/is a GS user. Not sure if he still plays. For spvp at least people are exaggerating how bad it is.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in Guardian

Jax.5261

GS isn’t a great weapon but against good players it’s no worse then Hammer because you will rarely land the best Hammer attack either. I can’t remember the last time I was immobolized or Banished by a hammer user in spvp. Since I like the easy retaliation and blind and binding blade and like two handers I still use GS. FYI, binding blade is not hard to land at all you can kind of queue it up and then use it a few seconds later to make sure you pull people. Stunning Styles one of the best guardian players I’ve ever seen was/is a GS user. Not sure if he still plays. For spvp at least people are exaggerating how bad it is.

Although I respect him SS isn’t a good player and it was entirely one-sided when I played against him (maybe 10 times?). I don’t know what your standards are but if you’re playing against anybody decent Hammer fakes > GS misses.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Unfortunately, i’d have to agree. The GS is a very static weapon; the symbol proves this. Every single skill on that bar has a very obvious animation, two of which are the same. Granted it can do decent cleave damage, I’ve seen more cleave damage done via Warrior’s Axe which is also faster.

in Guardian

Kasei.8726

Well when you do fight decent players you’ll find your damage missing entirely. You can come fight me if you wish and you’ll see.

Sigh, I don’t need to prove anything to you. Go find someone else to measure yourself against.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kaizz.7306

Kaizz.7306

Dude, the greatsword is awesome. I’d say you don’t know how to properly use the GS, but then again, it could very well just be your playstyle to not like it. I didn’t start using a GS until I was level 30, running around Fields of Ruin, and was like dam… Mace Shield is so slow, I wonder if a hammer or greatsword would be better. 3 days later, the game launches, and I’m sitting at 80, realizing that the GS is the DPS mobility machine. No, you can’t 100% stick to ppl with the GS, you won’t be able to if you’re just tossing everything out, swinging like a mad man. The 5 is the best thing since sliced bread. It is my Dot, It is my ranged finisher, it is my stealth detection, it is my interrupt, my gap closer, my love. the DoT is weaker than a baby quaggan. But it’s Damage, and at 4-500 a tick, it’s a mini condition imo. Use it on a D/P thief that just went stealth. The blade will follow the person, even while they’re stealthed, if they’re in range. It’s also really good for stopping thieves from HS’ing out of their Black Powder, and I’ve gotten kills purely because of that.

You crafted an ascended weapon, ok, cool, but do you really understand how to use it? Are you mid range pressing 2, hoping that you’ll get more than 2 hits in on an enemy, instead of the 9 hits you get from actually being in the hitbox? Making use of the instant OP Retaliation symbol? Trust me, the Greatsword is a burst mobility weapon, but you can use it for sustained damage as well. Like, it gives a freaking blind when you start a fight, on top of your Aegis….

in Guardian

Posted by: Manu.1478

Manu.1478

my greatsword spvp video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABw0I3zsgw

and Zodins WvW video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMRPKIzsUY

everything that is needed to change your mind about greatswords

BUUUUt when anet wants to buff them I would be fine with thatxD

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

Sigh, I don’t need to prove anything to you. Go find someone else to measure yourself against.

Just ignore him, he’s an Australian so he was born bitter, angry, confrontational and argumentative against anyone that’s not Australian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

Regardless of your view on Silven, he is still a skilled guardian and has contributed to these forums and guardian community plenty.

Whether you agree with him or not, his opinion is still credible.

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

in Guardian

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

my problem with guiardian greatsword is that it just feels sooooo slow and useless waiting for long cooldowns while warriors are whirling their greatswords around every few seconds,
guardian greatsword is boring due to the lengthy cooldowns

in Guardian

Posted by: Liza.2758

Liza.2758

if all you do is roaming in wvw it’s a great weapon because most of ppl around there are bad.

but if you play tpvp , dueling it’s going to be a pain.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Yes for roaming in wvw it’s good. People are generally less skilled, and the mobility on it is great. However in tpvp it’s not that good, and there are better weapons to choose from. I have almost 1000 tpvp wins on guard, and also playing at a high skill level. The weapon isn’t the top choice at higher levels of play.

It’s a very niche weapon, similar to the warrior’s gs. Mobility and AoE cleave dmg.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in Guardian

Kasei.8726

Simply saying it’s only good against bad players is lazy reasoning.

I agree with Harbinger though. I use it in sPvP a whole lot less. However, that’s due to other weapons being better suited for the match format, the environment, and the builds I expect to fight.

The greatsword is an opportunistic secondary to me, it’s my bag of tricks. Opportunities appear in WvW all the time, for both combatants, due to its dynamic nature. sPvP, by its very name is structured, even more so with a team. In those fights, it’s all about reliability and consistency, and that’s where the greatsword definitely lacks.

(edited by Kasei.8726)