no trait diversity for guardians

in Guardian

Posted by: Benkei.6293

Benkei.6293

I wanted to point out the fact that for some reason everyone who plays a guardian use 30 valor points and use the Altruistic healing trait, i don´t know if this was intended but this is by far the best trait guardians have and it sucks having most people atleast use 50% of the same traits as every other single guardian.

I love how when you check people for 6 months+ and ask them if they use altruistic healing they all say yes, but when posts like this are made, suddenly all guardians who don´t use this crawl to threads and bash them. So ill just wait for it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I don’t use altruistic healing. I hope that doesn’t make me a bad guardian :/

I do, however, farm a lot, and as such I use the traits that make larger and longer symbols, as well as the two-handed mastery trait.

The thing with guardian is that it can be one of three things – a bunker, moderate DPS, or heal/support machine.

And more often than not, because of the way the guardian is designed with their consecrations and shouts, they are best used as a heal/support, especially for dungeons considering the other high DPS options out there, and the lack of need for ‘tanky’ classes.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Guardian

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

The reason why a lot of Guardians use 30 in Valour, is because the people wanting a tanky Guardian want AH, while the people wanting a DPS Guardian want the 30% crit damage. AH is a good trait, but it is by no means the best trait, or the one reason why people go into that trait line.

in Guardian

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Actually, AH builds aren’t meta anymore at all, it’s just a crutch skill for guardians who can’t dodge or want to tank the boss that they’re not even aggroing 80% of the time (hint – it’s useless).

The thing with guardian is that it can be one of three things – a bunker, moderate DPS, or heal/support machine.

Wrong. Guards can provide strong DPS and a whole load of support.

And more often than not, because of the way the guardian is designed with their consecrations and shouts, they are best used as a heal/support, especially for dungeons considering the other high DPS options out there, and the lack of need for ‘tanky’ classes.

Or they can be used as support and still output strong DPS. Which … they do.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Guardian

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Or they can be used as support and still output strong DPS. Which … they do.

Exactly. Support is not tied to stats in one bit. A zerker Guardian’s WoR works just as well as a cleric Guardian’s WoR.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rammie.2843

Rammie.2843

Crutch or not, zerker gear + AH just feels so lovely in pretty much any situation. Also because it reminds me of my favourite class in my previous MMO: the Captain in LOTRO. Decent DPS and great support. And having a blast finisher on a 5 (or 4) second cooldown…

There simply is amazing synergy and there is no shame in using it.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

But the traits in valour besides AH are awful. If you stick 30 in honour instead that gives you pure of voice, empowering might and superior aria, all solid group skills which help yourself as well. Sure, you don’t get AH procs, but AH is just a selfish trait anyway

in Guardian

Posted by: Rammie.2843

Rammie.2843

I find strength in numbers and retributive armor acceptable traits. And yes, I also run 30 in Honor. Though not always with empowering might, because of the slow nature of the hammer. Writ of the merciful suits that weapon better.

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

AH was a big deal when it was really ‘discovered’ by the population at large back in late September early October. Lots of people used it. But the past year or so has definitely seen a decline in the popularity of the trait, and I don’t think you can reasonably assume most people ran it like you could late last year.

Personally I haven’t used it since about November. There is a lot of build diversity with Guardians although we do still lack a real condition damage option. People just like what’s comfortable and easy.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Almost every class has this same problem. Everyone uses Deceptive Evasion on mez (20 points permanently spent), everyone uses Empathic Bond (30 points) on ranger and so on. Their trait system is ridiculously poorly built and its about time they admit it and rework it completely instead of spending time on creating musical instruments for 800 gems each…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

No, not everyone uses deceptive evasion on mesmer.

in Guardian

Benkei.6293

ya i opened this thread thinking of WvW and more complex pvp, for PVE aslong as you know the mechanic of the dungeon/boss you are getting into, you could go traitless and still faceroll it.

so yea maybe PVErs and farmers don´t see any need for altruistic healing, but when the enemy has some sort of intelligence it is somewhat of a powerfull tool for guardians

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

Same could be said about Empathic Bond, is it the majority? a slim 30%? No. Almost everyone uses it for almost every build and when you don’kittens for one or two builds. You enjoy doing poorer because you don’t use best available traits for certain class, gg for you, doesn’t mean normal people don’t use them. and if you think your one phantasm build not using DE comes even close the amount of players using DE, you’re just playing another game or something.

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

in Guardian

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I never used AH and none of my Guardian friends/guildies I do Arah and Fotm with, use it either. I don’t like Valor line, Radiance is my choice for damage and Honor (Pure of Voice) for Support. I’ll take PoV over AH any day.

in Guardian

maddoctor.2738

Almost every class has this same problem. Everyone uses Deceptive Evasion on mez (20 points permanently spent), everyone uses Empathic Bond (30 points) on ranger and so on. Their trait system is ridiculously poorly built and its about time they admit it and rework it completely instead of spending time on creating musical instruments for 800 gems each…

Unless you are in PVP, Empathic Bond isn’t very useful, in fact it’s terrible compared to many other traits. I’ve never EVER used it, nor I seen any Rangers that do high end dungeons, Arah and Fotm 60+ use it. It’s useless in the recent Gauntlet content too.

No clue about Deceptive Evasion as my Mesmer is a lowbie.

in Guardian

maddoctor.2738

Same could be said about Empathic Bond, is it the majority? a slim 30%? No. Almost everyone uses it for almost every build and when you don’kittens for one or two builds. You enjoy doing poorer because you don’t use best available traits for certain class, gg for you, doesn’t mean normal people don’t use them. and if you think your one phantasm build not using DE comes even close the amount of players using DE, you’re just playing another game or something.

I’d say a slim 5% of those who do “Hard” content use Empathic Bond, those who got over it and started dodging don’t need it anymore.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

Dungeon meta builds don’t use deceptive evasion as far as I know because there’s literally no need for it. Also, if you check the thread with Pyroatheists’ “overpowered pvp phantasm build” it doesn’t use it either.

Do you have a problem with me? You’re being quite antagonistic.

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

Unless you are in PVP, Empathic Bond isn’t very useful, in fact it’s terrible compared to many other traits. I’ve never EVER used it, nor I seen any Rangers that do high end dungeons, Arah and Fotm 60+ use it. It’s useless in the recent Gauntlet content too.

No clue about Deceptive Evasion as my Mesmer is a lowbie.

Well i’ll tell you about DE. The whole reason why mesmers are a pain to level is this exact trait. The second you unlock it is the time when mesmers aren’t a pain to level anymore. This is the most important trait available to mez and not because some guy who uses a 1v1 phantasm build without it means the large majority of mesmer players not using it. I was more referring to wvw/pvp when talking about EB but hey, even LB is viable in pve so any traits would do fine there, not like you’ll be getting condis constantly.

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

Dungeon meta builds don’t use deceptive evasion as far as I know because there’s literally no need for it. Also, if you check the thread with Pyroatheists’ “overpowered pvp phantasm build” it doesn’t use it either.

Do you have a problem with me? You’re being quite antagonistic.

No problem at all. But why do you follow what some guy said or from what was shown in a youtube video? Do you play your class or what… If you don’t use DE in dungeons you’re a garbage mesmer, just sayin. Do you even play dungeons? How can you say “Dungeon meta builds don’t use deceptive evasion as far as I know”? There’s no ‘meta’, this is not spvp, stop following what some1 said and think for yourself. I don’t need to watch some1’s video/build to tell me what’s good and what’s bad, i’ve played enough mez ty come again.

in Guardian

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

This is a problem for all classes, not just guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If you don’t use DE in dungeons you’re a garbage mesmer, just sayin. Do you even play dungeons?

Best lolz of the day.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Depends on the fight. I swap between a pure medi build and sometimes dip into AH but honestly I find I have better personal survivability and damage output with full meditation, and on demand big heals with low cooldowns. especially in PvP/(roaming)WvW

In the case where I have melee allies, and enough buffs that 3 out of 4 attacks will crit and every crit will guaranteed toss my empowering might over a large amount of people and where there are enough close allies that my shouts start to outweigh my meditations.

In that specific situation (Pretty much Zerg WvW) AH is better yea… but is it such a big deal if there are multiple “best” builds for different situations for your class?

I don’t think so.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

But why do you follow what some guy said or from what was shown in a youtube video?

Because watching other players play and discussing things is the best way to improve, and if they have a youtube video then you can see what they’re saying in action. I mean the core of pretty much any phantasm build is 10/10/0/25/0 and then you just stick points in where you want. I used to go GS/sword+focus but then as I began to realise that basically every dungeon involves meleeing bosses, it made the GS awkward to use so I went from 20/20/0/30/0 (GS and sword cdr) to 10/30/0/30/0 so that I could get sword and pistol cooldowns since I was always in melee. and would use focus and pistol most of the time.

Then when I watched Brazil’s DPS test I figured that he wasn’t using phantasmal warden, looked in to phantasm recharges and damage and realised that the swordsman would actually do more DPS than the warden since it hits hard, recharges faster and doesn’t have a five second attack animation. So ideally, provided reflects aren’t required it made sense that he ran sword/sword and sword/pistol to maximise DPS since they have strong phantasms that recharge quickly.

Do you play your class or what

Well… yes. I’m independent minded enough to not use skills or traits that I think would be bad for my build just because someone else says to use it, it just so happens that I agree with some people’s build choices and use them myself.

If you don’t use DE in dungeons you’re a garbage mesmer, just sayin

And why would I actually use DE in a phantasm build?

Do you even play dungeons? How can you say “Dungeon meta builds don’t use deceptive evasion as far as I know”? There’s no ‘meta’, this is not spvp, stop following what some1 said and think for yourself.

Yes, I do play dungeons. And there is a dungeon meta, it’s class-based, and currently the PUG meta is 3 war/1 guard/1 mes, and the experienced group meta of basically whatever classes are most suited to the dungeon you’re doing. If you need more reflects, you can stack two guards, you only need one warriors for banners and two lightning hammer elementalists can be used for might stacking and strong DPS. If you don’t need a second guard or LH eles aren’t appropriate, you can use ranger w/spotter and frost spirit for a DPS boost and a thief or something. Engineer is good for vuln stacking, might stacking and strong DPS too.

I don’t need to watch some1’s video/build to tell me what’s good and what’s bad, i’ve played enough mez ty come again.

Unlike you, in the face of evidence contrary to how I play I don’t mind adapting myself to it. You seem to not be interested in listening to other viewpoints however.

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

If you don’t use DE in dungeons you’re a garbage mesmer, just sayin. Do you even play dungeons?

Best lolz of the day.

so i’m guessing you run a phantasm build, send your phantasms, they get instantly destroyed and here comes the auto attack spam? Dungeons is one of the places DE shines the most because there’s tones of enemies and they mostly have high damage to 1-2 shot your phantasms.

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

@coley. I’d agree with you if this game been released like 1-2 months ago and you didn’t have enough time to learn everything there is to learn about a certain class or if this game had over 1k skills and build variation was actually there. But this is not the case. I’m not a person who has 8 alts at lev80 and play them all, i stick to two classes and don’t care about the rest, so everything there is to know, i know and some1’s build won’t help or change anything. If this game received many new traits/weapons/skills that’s another story because some1 could come up with something good before i or someone else does, but we’re stuck with the same crap for one year, nothing new or fresh is coming any time soon.

in Guardian

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Valor is just a really good trait line. That’s ok. Most classes have “mandatory” traits as well. The important part is to have some variation.

And altruistic healing is far from mandatory. I’d say AH is only mandatory for defensive shout builds. Meditation builds use Monk’s focus, for example.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

so i’m guessing you run a phantasm build, send your phantasms, they get instantly destroyed and here comes the auto attack spam? Dungeons is one of the places DE shines the most because there’s tones of enemies and they mostly have high damage to 1-2 shot your phantasms.

Sure, my duelist which is spawned at range is instantly destroyed. My swordsman which leaps in then leaps out is instantly destroyed. My warden reflecting projectiles is instantly destroyed. Oh wait, it’s not. The only reason you want DE is shatter spam, and you won’t be shattering often on phantasm builds.

@coley. I’d agree with you if this game been released like 1-2 months ago and you didn’t have enough time to learn everything there is to learn about a certain class or if this game had over 1k skills and build variation was actually there. But this is not the case. I’m not a person who has 8 alts at lev80 and play them all, i stick to two classes and don’t care about the rest, so everything there is to know, i know and some1’s build won’t help or change anything. If this game received many new traits/weapons/skills that’s another story because some1 could come up with something good before i or someone else does, but we’re stuck with the same crap for one year, nothing new or fresh is coming any time soon.

The problem here, is all I’m seeing is “I’m right because I am” when you’re not. And you apparently don’t know everything about mesmer because you think everyone used deceptive evasion when overriding your phantasms is the last thing a phantasm mesmer wants to do.

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

Valor is just a really good trait line. That’s ok. Most classes have “mandatory” traits as well. The important part is to have some variation.

And altruistic healing is far from mandatory. I’d say AH is only mandatory for defensive shout builds. Meditation builds use Monk’s focus, for example.

This is precisely where anet failed with their trait system. If there’s a mandatory traits and we only have so many trait points to spend, you know build diversity will be bad.

in Guardian

Benkei.6293

there are different builds for every class, but regarding to guardian if you go glass, you are still a support, if you go tanky, your skills still do support, if you go virtually any posible build your skills will still support.

and AH is different to what happens in other classes, where you can give up the best trait in order to perform another role, but for guardian AH will enable you to stay alive and full hp in most of situations.

I don´t see any comparison in mesmers traits, many people play and spec them completely different for the role they want and not a single trait is mandatory.

somehow like i predicted i dig out everysingle guardian who doesnt use AH into this thread, which is like 5 out of the whole GW2 population. But yea this 5 guys do stuff like ARAH or FOTM, where a well timed dodge roll or a wall of reflection is all that takes to beat them. Like i said people who fight enemies with “intelligence” use AH, but someone made a valid point, on pvp certain situations u will be facing 1 vs 1, and AH wont be the best option here.

So yea if you like to solo AH will pritty much heal you for a very good amount still but it stops being mandatory.

in Guardian

maddoctor.2738

somehow like i predicted i dig out everysingle guardian who doesnt use AH into this thread, which is like 5 out of the whole GW2 population. But yea this 5 guys do stuff like ARAH or FOTM, where a well timed dodge roll or a wall of reflection is all that takes to beat them. Like i said people who fight enemies with “intelligence” use AH, but someone made a valid point, on pvp certain situations u will be facing 1 vs 1, and AH wont be the best option here.

Can you tell me who those enemies with “intelligence” are?

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

Sure, my duelist which is spawned at range is instantly destroyed. My swordsman which leaps in then leaps out is instantly destroyed. My warden reflecting projectiles is instantly destroyed. Oh wait, it’s not. The only reason you want DE is shatter spam, and you won’t be shattering often on phantasm builds.

The problem here, is all I’m seeing is “I’m right because I am” when you’re not. And you apparently don’t know everything about mesmer because you think everyone used deceptive evasion when overriding your phantasms is the last thing a phantasm mesmer wants to do.

Again, you’re wrong. You will be overriding phantasms with iLeap/Mirror Blade/Phase Retreat/Decoy and of these skills anyways so if you’re seriously not using DE for that reason that’s just funny. Not only that but you could spec 30 in Chaos for Prismatic Understanding and have Debilitating Dissipation for even more pressure from your clone overrides that could be from a phantasm or DE.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

Firstly, why would I use iLeap, Mirror Blade, Phase Retreat or Decoy in a dungeon? Using leap means I miss out on an extra autoattack, greatsword is bad in dungeons, staff is terrible in dungeons and I’ve never found a reason to use Decoy in one either.

Not only that but you could spec 30 in Chaos for Prismatic Understanding and have Debilitating Dissipation for even more pressure from your clone overrides that

Or I could trait 30 in inspiration for phantasms that hit harder and actual useful traits like warden’s feedback which make mobs die faster.

I’ll ask again, since you keep talking about shatter builds, why would I use DE in a phantasm build?

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

Firstly, why would I use iLeap, Mirror Blade, Phase Retreat or Decoy in a dungeon? Using leap means I miss out on an extra autoattack, greatsword is bad in dungeons, staff is terrible in dungeons and I’ve never found a reason to use Decoy in one either.

Not only that but you could spec 30 in Chaos for Prismatic Understanding and have Debilitating Dissipation for even more pressure from your clone overrides that

Or I could trait 30 in inspiration for phantasms that hit harder and actual useful traits like warden’s feedback which make mobs die faster.

I’ll ask again, since you keep talking about shatter builds, why would I use DE in a phantasm build?

So, since Vengeful Images and Illusionists Celerity nerf you’re still rocking dat 25 points in Inspiration for that 15% additional damage when its absolutely not needed and better options are available to you? Oh no, you certainly not need DE even in a shatter build cuz dungeons meta don’t use it.

I want you to do a lev48 fotm with me because what you’re saying about dungeons “i don’t use this and that” is so ridiculous its like talking to a person who’ve never step foot in one. You even think a leap back from iSwordsman will save it LOL

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

AH is not support. It just heals yourself, and no you can’t draw aggro with toughness.

And the bunker build doesn’t even bother with 30 valor. :S

AH is most excellent as a staff/hammer/shout supporter in wvw. It’s still hardly mandatory.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

colesy.8490

So, since Vengeful Images and Illusionists Celerity nerf you’re still rocking dat 25 points in Inspiration for that 15% additional damage

Traited focus, faster glamour cooldowns and longer glamour durations. If you don’t understand why I am doing this then you don’t know what a mesmer is used in dungeons for.

Oh no, you certainly not need DE even in a shatter build cuz dungeons meta don’t use it.

Again, why do I need DE in a phantasm build? And you didn’t tell me why I would be using iLeap, Mirror Blade, Phase Retreat or Decoy in dungeons, they’re all bad for dungeons.

I want you to do a lev48 fotm with me because what you’re saying about dungeons “i don’t use this and that” is so ridiculous its like talking to a person who’ve never step foot in one. You even think a leap back from iSwordsman will save it LOL

Well if I actually had the AR on my character and was able to access a computer I could play gw2 on, sure.

Also, if you’re going to be arrogant at least do us all a favour and know what you’re talking about.

in Guardian

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I don’t use it … I don’t have a single point in that line infact.

If you want an example of classes with bad Trait balance (or lack of compression), there’s MUCH better examples than Guardian. Guardian is the only class that’s still totally OP in all 3 modes of the game.

If you HAVE to use that specific trait synergy to play the game to the best of your ability on an already overpowered class, then guess what that’s called …

…A Crutch :p
Yeah I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Colesy either … but it’s a crutch. …deal
PS: This really didn’t belong in General Disc either … that’s strike 3

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Guardian

Posted by: theguildless.1386

theguildless.1386

I run AH and I like it.

I wouldn’t call it the best trait, but it’s not a bad trait either. Having played with Signet of Malice on thief for so long, this trait gives me a similar feeling where it encourages you to be more active (spreading boons in this case) if you want to stay alive, the main difference being the Guardian still has a powerful active heal to go with it. So, while AH does not contribute directly to supporting your group, it does promote support by providing a nice reward for applying boons.

As others have said, there are good alternatives out there. AH is by no means mandatory, but it does fit very well with the way Guardian plays. It is one of the more unique traits that contrasts with the bunch of “x% of one stats to another” and “+x% damage when in Situation A” all classes have.

Always question your assumptions.
Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

So, since Vengeful Images and Illusionists Celerity nerf you’re still rocking dat 25 points in Inspiration for that 15% additional damage

Traited focus, faster glamour cooldowns and longer glamour durations. If you don’t understand why I am doing this then you don’t know what a mesmer is used in dungeons for.

Oh no, you certainly not need DE even in a shatter build cuz dungeons meta don’t use it.

Again, why do I need DE in a phantasm build? And you didn’t tell me why I would be using iLeap, Mirror Blade, Phase Retreat or Decoy in dungeons, they’re all bad for dungeons.

Well if I actually had the AR on my character and was able to access a computer I could play gw2 on, sure.

Also, if you’re going to be arrogant at least do us all a favour and know what you’re talking about.

I was considering taking DE due to compounding power. Someone told me that if the initial three illusions up are phantasms, they won’t count for the trait, they apparently must be clones (such as ones from DE or Illusionary Leap). If what people told me is true, then DE is a pretty good investment.

That of course depends if you run 10 in illusions or not. Personally I run 10/30/0/20/10, I dont think 30 in inspiration makes sense in the slightest.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

I’m not trying to be arrogant with you, i gave you tones of reasons why shatter is better than phantasm builds in pve and told you why DE is good even in a pure phantasm build but you’re too stubborn to agree with facts here because you’ve seen some video from a ‘known’ guy in the community who posted a video and told you how to play and what to use. At least give me reasonable points why you think DE is bad in a phantasm build, not “i don’t use iLeap/Decoy and all other skills that overwrite phantasm”. If you haven’t even tried lev48 (or at least 30 cuz that’s where phantasm builds become real crap) i don’t think you should be suggesting or telling others phantasm builds are good for dungeons because you probably haven’t even played any challenging ones. You, without DE in lev30 fotm and Arah to some extent is a mesmer without illusions, simple as that, and if you think that’s fine, then fine, don’t use DE.

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

I was considering taking DE due to compounding power. Someone told me that if the initial three illusions up are phantasms, they won’t count for the trait, they apparently must be clones (such as ones from DE or Illusionary Leap). If what people told me is true, then DE is a pretty good investment.

That of course depends if you run 10 in illusions or not. Personally I run 10/30/0/20/10, I dont think 30 in inspiration makes sense in the slightest.

Ignore Illusion tree completely on a phantasm build (btw what the guy told you is false and Compounding Power is only for your shatter/attacks, not your illusions). What do you gain by investing 10 points in Illusions? You get Illusionary Retribution which is 1000% useless, you get Compounding Power that would’ve been very good for a phantasm build if that 9% went into phantasms damage as well, its not. Then you get faster CD on shatter which is again, useless and 100 more condi damage which is decent if you have iDuelist/sharper images but nothing to brag about. If you invest into Dueling you get higher precision for more crit hits for you AND all your illusions, higher crit damage which you and your phantasms share, perma Vigor, Phantasmal Fury which again, increases your phantasm damage and significantly, Sharper Images which doesn’t need any explanation and DE which you can use as a shield for ranged none piercing attacks, spawn clones to deal at least some kind of damage if your phantasms are dead from aoe or combine it with a trait such as Debilitating Dissipation for the extra Weakness/condi damage. there’s no reason to spend point in illusion for a phantasm build since they nerfed IC.

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

and as always, threads are moved and now mesmer’s conversation makes no sense, thanks mods.

in Guardian

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Ignore Illusion tree completely on a phantasm build (btw what the guy told you is false and Compounding Power is only for your shatter/attacks, not your illusions). What do you gain by investing 10 points in Illusions? You get Illusionary Retribution which is 1000% useless, you get Compounding Power that would’ve been very good for a phantasm build if that 9% went into phantasms damage as well, its not. Then you get faster CD on shatter which is again, useless and 100 more condi damage which is decent if you have iDuelist/sharper images but nothing to brag about. If you invest into Dueling you get higher precision for more crit hits for you AND all your illusions, higher crit damage which you and your phantasms share, perma Vigor, Phantasmal Fury which again, increases your phantasm damage and significantly, Sharper Images which doesn’t need any explanation and DE which you can use as a shield for ranged none piercing attacks, spawn clones to deal at least some kind of damage if your phantasms are dead from aoe or combine it with a trait such as Debilitating Dissipation for the extra Weakness/condi damage. there’s no reason to spend point in illusion for a phantasm build since they nerfed IC.

It’s not for a phantasm build. It’s for the 9% base damage modifier you get when you have 3 illusions up (3% per illusion). it has nothing to do with the damage from illusions/phantasms/etc, its to do with my own personal damage. Main concept behind it is to make reflects hit as hard as possible (I only really do Arah)

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

ya i opened this thread thinking of WvW and more complex pvp, for PVE aslong as you know the mechanic of the dungeon/boss you are getting into, you could go traitless and still faceroll it.

so yea maybe PVErs and farmers don´t see any need for altruistic healing, but when the enemy has some sort of intelligence it is somewhat of a powerfull tool for guardians

AH really shines in WvW because it allows you to go more of a Tanky DPS build and be right up in the front line of the melee assist train, soaking up damage and projectiles from your pure backline (squishy) DPSer’.

But really, if you’re not surrounded by people (who are effected by empower or symbols) or have tons of people running through your fields, healing you, there are definitely better (more optimal) builds.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

Nuka Cola.8520

It’s not for a phantasm build. It’s for the 9% base damage modifier you get when you have 3 illusions up (3% per illusion). it has nothing to do with the damage from illusions/phantasms/etc, its to do with my own personal damage. Main concept behind it is to make reflects hit as hard as possible (I only really do Arah)

that’s what i said, it only applies to you and not your illusions-.-. Its good if you’re not pure phantasm build.

in Guardian

colesy.8490

You stick 20 in inspiration for warden’s feedback and then stick 5 more if you’re running phantasms for 15%+ damage on them. I only really go full 30 because sticking 5 anywhere else is pretty much pointless once you’re 10/30/0/25/0.

I’m not trying to be arrogant with you, i gave you tones of reasons why shatter is better than phantasm builds in pve and told you why DE is good even in a pure phantasm build but you’re too stubborn to agree with facts here

Practically all you’ve said is “DE is good because it is”. If you can quote the reason out of all the drivel you’ve posted, that would be nice.

you’ve seen some video from a ‘known’ guy in the community who posted a video and told you how to play and what to use.

Literally until now I only actually knew the points he invested, not the major traits. So I quickly checked the build and he just happens to use every single major that I picked as well … so no I didn’t just copy, I picked common sense traits.

At least give me reasonable points why you think DE is bad in a phantasm build, not “i don’t use iLeap/Decoy and all other skills that overwrite phantasm”.

Because I’m forfeiting either phantasmal fury or faster cooldowns & precision (+50 from blade training). I’m not seeing the point in using clones either.

in Guardian

Posted by: Somoe.3621

Somoe.3621

AH:
- 0/0/30/30/10 (PoV too)

- 0/10/30/10/20

- 10/0/30/25/5

- 0/15/30/10/15

PoV:

- 0/0/10/30/30

- 0/0/20/30/20

- 10/0/10/30/20

- 0/10/10/30/20

- 0/5/5/30/30

Farming:

- 25/0/0/30/15

If you only use the cookie cutter AH build (0/0/30/30/10) you’re not playing Guardian correctly.

in Guardian

Benkei.6293

AH:
- 0/0/30/30/10 (PoV too)

- 0/10/30/10/20

- 10/0/30/25/5

- 0/15/30/10/15

PoV:

- 0/0/10/30/30

- 0/0/20/30/20

- 10/0/10/30/20

- 0/10/10/30/20

- 0/5/5/30/30

Farming:

- 25/0/0/30/15

If you only use the cookie cutter AH build (0/0/30/30/10) you’re not playing Guardian correctly.

idk who you think you are to say how a class can be played correctly, many people use what you call cookie cutter and not for that reason they play it incorrectly pls make statements as what you like or dislike, agree or disagree, but saying something is correct or incorrect makes you look foolish because there are people here who know more about guardians than you will ever do and yet they don´t go out there telling other what is the “correct” way of playing them.

in Guardian

Posted by: Somoe.3621

Somoe.3621

AH:
- 0/0/30/30/10 (PoV too)

- 0/10/30/10/20

- 10/0/30/25/5

- 0/15/30/10/15

PoV:

- 0/0/10/30/30

- 0/0/20/30/20

- 10/0/10/30/20

- 0/10/10/30/20

- 0/5/5/30/30

Farming:

- 25/0/0/30/15

idk who you think you are to say how a class can be played correctly, many people use what you call cookie cutter and not for that reason they play it incorrectly pls make statements as what you like or dislike, agree or disagree, but saying something is correct or incorrect makes you look foolish because there are people here who know more about guardians than you will ever do and yet they don´t go out there telling other what is the “correct” way of playing them.

Looks like I hit a nerve, lol.

It’s not up for discussion, if you only play one build and nothing else you’re doing it wrong.

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Actually, it is up for debate. Until we get a “dual spec” feature or something akin to it where we can swap on the fly, it’s a valid option to find one build you like and stick with it.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Benkei.6293

AH:
- 0/0/30/30/10 (PoV too)

- 0/10/30/10/20

- 10/0/30/25/5

- 0/15/30/10/15

PoV:

- 0/0/10/30/30

- 0/0/20/30/20

- 10/0/10/30/20

- 0/10/10/30/20

- 0/5/5/30/30

Farming:

- 25/0/0/30/15

Looks like I hit a nerve, lol.

It’s not up for discussion, if you only play one build and nothing else you’re doing it wrong.

lol common sense is beating you here, as stated you are not good enough to decide how to play something “right”, anyways it seems like you got some issues with cookie cutter builds, maybe they beat you up in the past and now you hate them or something?

As i said you are noone so it is just your opinion on saying people who play that way is wrong but thinking that way is actually wrong.