[sPvP] Kensuda's Bunker/Support Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Hey, guys. I’m the bunker Guardian for Team Good Fights, one of the top-tier NA teams at the moment. I took some time today to put together a very in-depth guide on my build and how to play it in tPvP (notes are mostly in regards to Team Arena, but can be applied well to Solo). If you’re interested in a good bunker/support build, or just want some helpful tips to improve your play, check it out! A lot of it is beginner-oriented at the moment, but I plan on adding some expert tips in the near future.

http://intothemists.com/guides/2221-kensudas_bunkersupport

Here’s some gameplay of me using this build:

http://www.twitch.tv/cymerdown/b/489517687

Thanks for checking it out!

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

(edited by cymerdown.4103)

in Guardian

Posted by: AshinDreidon.3861

AshinDreidon.3861

Thanks for posting this!

shadow, magus, hunter (progress: ritualist, paragon)
soloQing my way through leagues…

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

No problem, glad to help out.

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

Posted by: Sxalpha.5063

Sxalpha.5063

Been waiting for exactly one of these recently. Thanks for creating and posting this guide, defiantly will read all of it!

in Guardian

Posted by: Sxalpha.5063

Sxalpha.5063

Again, thanks for this but here is some feedback:

“I try to use Protector’s Strike (#3) when I am being focused by multiple enemies, "

I don’t get this as I think Protector’s Strike (#3) only blocks one attack?

Also a video with this build including a couple tourney games would be much appreciated and lots could be learned from this.

A few questions too, as a bunker do you just sit at mid when the fight is over or do you keep finding team fights to win.

Also when in a outnumbered situation, do you stall for that time or just ditch the node?

Both of these sets of questions are for when you do not know if your teammate will back you up. I would love to improve my solo queue

Again, a video would make this much much more helpful, nevertheless, a great guide, would recommend reading it all!

EDIT: Found your twitch! Commentary over solo queue matches might be a good idea

(edited by Sxalpha.5063)

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

Sure, I’ll add some gameplay strategy to the guide in addition to some expert-level tips. To answer your questions:

“I try to use Protector’s Strike (#3) when I am being focused by multiple enemies, "

I don’t get this as I think Protector’s Strike (#3) only blocks one attack?

Yeah, I meant just using it to absorb a little bit of the incoming damage, but you should generally use dodges first as they will avoid more attacks than Protector’s Strike. I’ll have to clarify that.

Also a video with this build including a couple tourney games would be much appreciated and lots could be learned from this.

Yeah, I need to stream and record more often. I’ll record a few team arena games and link them in the guide.

A few questions too, as a bunker do you just sit at mid when the fight is over or do you keep finding team fights to win.

Generally, I’ll rotate to the team fights and we’ll leave a 1v1er to watch nodes, like Warrior or Ranger.

Also when in a outnumbered situation, do you stall for that time or just ditch the node?

It depends on the situation. If it’s our point, I’ll typically stay and die on point to delay losing the point as long as possible. If it’s neutral or their point and we’re 2 men down (we have 3 and they have 5, with 2 of our guys on respawn), that’s usually a good time to book it and regroup rather than full wiping.

Both of these sets of questions are for when you do not know if your teammate will back you up. I would love to improve my solo queue

In Solo Arena, I typically don’t play the way I just mentioned. I will usually just stay and defend mid, and not leave bad fights (just die on point) unless the rest of my team is also running away. It’s harder to play in a coordinated way in solo queue, it’s better to just play solid and predictable so your teammates aren’t confused.

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

Ok, I added an extra section at the bottom regarding role and rotations

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Sarok.4369

Lord Sarok.4369

Ken! About time you posted the build, and guys, let me tell you, this build is amazing for those team fights. Ive ran it a few times in the past and it does wonders for rezzing allies. Its a top notch build if you need a rez utility for your team. Keep up the work Ken my homie. GO TEAM GOOD FIGHTS! Cya around. +1 to this build guys.

TC Commander! PINK POWER!
FC Follower! GF Guardian!
Proud Asura! Guardians Forever!

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

Thanks, buddy!

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Who is this scrub Ken….;). Nice build man.

in Guardian

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

This is a very standard build. Not trying to be negative, of course this is an excellent build that’s why 1 billion bunkers run it or something 99% the same, but anybody that acts like they haven’t seen this before you got to be kidding me.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in Guardian

Posted by: BlackStabbath.9780

BlackStabbath.9780

just curious… how do you deal with corrupt boon/sos necro and/or condition spamming engies? Just seems like your cleanses are limited with this build.

With GS you could, at least, drop symbol and whirl cleanse.

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Standard Healway Build =]

Very solid in a multitude of gameplay situations. One of, if not ‘the’ best support guardian WvW small Ops team/group builds.

Not that great in 1v1 situations (as it’ll take awhile to kill something), but Great build up to ZvZ.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Was just thinking about trying a guardian bunker-type in PvP, come to this forum, and here’s this thread – perfect timing!

Thanks. Now just to learn a whole new class..

ETA: If I wanted a more “selfish” bunker guardian, would it be better to adjust this build or use a different one? Thanks.

(edited by Qaelyn.7612)

in Guardian

Qaelyn.7612

So I just tried this out, just on some NPCs in the lobby. I like the playstyle.

My only problem is.. um.. how do I actually kill anything?

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

@brannigan.9831: Yeah, I know I didn’t invent the wheel here or anything. I just often get questions about my build and such, so I figured putting this here with some in-depth explanations might be of service to the community. There are several other bunker Guardian builds that are various levels of viable, I’ve tested many of them and this is the one that I believe is (still) overall the strongest in Team Arena. Also, my weapon selection wasn’t really “meta” in NA for a long time, people used to run CC setups with hammer and scepter instead of what I used.

@BlackStabbath.9780: Whirl finisher in a Light field doesn’t cleanse conditions on yourself, only allies hit by the projectiles. I find it’s pretty unreliable to use for team condi cleanse, since the projectile paths are kinda random. The best way to deal with Corrupt Boon is to a) avoid using Stability near a Necro unless you really need to, and b) try to juke the Corrupt as best you can. Good Necros usually have a trigger finger for Corrupt as soon as they see the Stability go up, so that’s usually a good time to dodge. Better ones will wait till you dodge, then hit the Corrupt at the end of the dodge. That’s rough. Try to have at least one cleanse on hand around a Necro at all times in case you do get Corrupted, so if you’re out of them, that’s a good time to use your elite. In general, though, Necros and Engis are sort of meant to be bunker busters with the wide variety of conditions they have at their disposal. It’s not a matter of if you’ll die, it’s a matter of when. But if you’re using your cleanses wisely and holding cap/neutral for your team for a while before you die, you’re doing your job.

@Qaelyn.7612: If you wanted a more selfish bunker build that’s generally going to do well in Solo Arena, try this one. That build should perform well for you up to around mid-high tier, and is much more survivable and forgiving than the build I originally posted.

And no, don’t expect to kill anything on either of these builds. They’re meant to defend a point and support, leave the killing to the DPS.

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

Qaelyn.7612

Thanks a lot. I have a lot of learning to do with this class.

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

No problem; everyone starts somewhere. Happy bunkering!

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

Posted by: Nefejrangh.2584

Nefejrangh.2584

Hey, i’m back to spvp after months of WvsW and i really enjoy guardian in bunker role. Atm i’m playng this spec http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRAse5dlUgqCnFyMEf4ES2DRCBTQsHYEH1RXFoIA-TwAgzCtIySllLLTWyssZN+Y9xmgJBA . Usually i join tournament in solo or with 2-3 friends, i dont have a team for spvp. In your opinion, your spec its the best choice even without a premade ?

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

Hey, i’m back to spvp after months of WvsW and i really enjoy guardian in bunker role. Atm i’m playng this spec http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRAse5dlUgqCnFyMEf4ES2DRCBTQsHYEH1RXFoIA-TwAgzCtIySllLLTWyssZN+Y9xmgJBA . Usually i join tournament in solo or with 2-3 friends, i dont have a team for spvp. In your opinion, your spec its the best choice even without a premade ?

Yes, I recommend my build over that one. Staff heals you and buffs allies; it’s a very powerful support weapon.

Added some gameplay from my twitch stream.

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

Posted by: Nefejrangh.2584

Nefejrangh.2584

Yes, I recommend my build over that one. Staff heals you and buffs allies; it’s a very powerful support weapon.

Added some gameplay from my twitch stream.

Ok ty, i’ll check on twitch later.

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

Cool, enjoy. Added a new section for expert tips, and moved some of the content into it to make the earlier sections a bit shorter.

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

cymerdown.4103

Just as a note, my only updates to the build post-patch are taking energy/intelligence sigils on both sets, and full cleric’s amulet. Healing Breeze is a fun option, but take focus instead of shield if you want to do that so you can protect your heal. Not really recommended unless your team always rotates you out of 1v1 situations and you have a heavy melee team, Shelter is way better for surviving 1vX and handling point pressure.

Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I concur that Intelligence is amazing on bunker/support builds. Nothing like getting 5k crits with Mighty Blow or Protector’s Strike. It lets you set up some really cool burst situations, and also help with Vigorous Precision.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage