so Guardian Shield 5 can block melee attack

in Guardian

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

i just saw awesome trailer for chinajoy2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4tGMcKoh_8#t=3m28s.

on 3:28 you can see the hero here as guardian trying to block risen giant slam…. or so looked awesome.
we know how it supposed to end.

so can we really have that shield supposed to block melee attack now ?

edit: here to skip to the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n4tGMcKoh_8&t=205

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

(edited by SchuMidas.4782)

in Guardian

Posted by: iCryptik.1496

iCryptik.1496

i just saw awesome trailer for chinajoy2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4tGMcKoh_8#t=3m28s.

on 3:28 you can see the hero here as guardian trying to block risen giant slam…. or so looked awesome.
we know how it supposed to end.

so can we really have that shield supposed to block melee attack now ?

edit: here to skip to the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n4tGMcKoh_8&t=205

But how would you recommend it work, like the warrior #5 block?

I’m fine with good changes to shield 5, but these fools trying to get focus 5 off of focus and on to shield be trippin.

Alshazzär
Tarnished Coast [TC]

in Guardian

SchuMidas.4782

basicly anything that makes a shield function like a shield
or remove knockback on current skill 5 and keep the absorb bubble + block incoming melee attack like warrior and engineer ones…

thats 1 idea, current guardian shield skill is fail by design. any changes made are welcomed

SchuMidas – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

current guardian shield skill is fail by design

No.
You want a block, get a focus. The shield is perfectly fine as is and one of the best tool in TPVP.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

The shield is really very bad at PvE, but good at PvP and WvW.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

SchuMidas.4782

uhhh…. really ?
feels like this embarrassing my self.
i cant get the feel for a shield that cant do it basic function properly.
not just in pve, i dont even feel it in pvp, and i do use shield on my loadout for pvp

SchuMidas – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Abraxius.6429

Abraxius.6429

i dont understand even engineers have melee blocking shields >.> along with warrior shouldnt we a HEAVY class get it.

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

The shield is really very bad at PvE, but good at PvP and WvW.

No, the shield is good at a specific gimmick build that doesn’t rely on the players skill to work well. It’s horribly designed. It would be awesome to have shield actually useful for anything other than gimmick bunkers, but that’s just not likely to happen. To many people rely on that crutch for it to get changed. For now if you want a cool shield effect go engineer, warrior is alright, and then we have lolguardian.

Op you need to realize that almost everything that was said pre launch was a lie designed to draw players in. The only thing to do is accept it for what it is.

in Guardian

SchuMidas.4782

i know . but after a year and a new trailer up for china, does the dev realize thier mistake and maybe will probably change a bit to guardian shield user… maybe a little ninja tweak during patch sometime in future.

well we never knew

SchuMidas – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

The only change needed is for shield #4.

Shield #5 can be used to kd enemies in theif shroud or getting a player up, when someone is using a finisher.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sutcliffe.5491

Sutcliffe.5491

will be nice if we have warrior #5 on our shield #4 for blocking

in Guardian

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Some points…
1. Shield 5 is an AoE knockback that other shields don’t have (and gets thieves out of Stealth house) and with scepter immob + hammer ring is a standard play for bunkers;
2. Also a 4 second projectile block in a small area covering your team (block grenade spam, though you rarely see Engi condi in tourneys anymore…);
3. You can double knockback if you have Resolute Healer trait when ressing a downed person;
4. You can double tap to get an emergency heal (not bad with ~1k healing power);
5. When a thief BP + HS you to backstab and nothing else is up, Shield 4 protection will help you eat it and the HS spam afterwards, hopefully buying time. You can also give protection to teammates when you know a burst (Static Discharge Engi, ugh) is coming. Chain with “Hold the Line!” to be even more annoying.

Well you can block the giant I suppose, if you Shield 5 and pop Virtue of Courage or “Retreat!” at the same time…

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in Guardian

Mikau.6920

Some points…
1. Shield 5 is an AoE knockback that other shields don’t have (and gets thieves out of Stealth house) and with scepter immob + hammer ring is a standard play for bunkers;
2. Also a 4 second projectile block in a small area covering your team (block grenade spam, though you rarely see Engi condi in tourneys anymore…);
3. You can double knockback if you have Resolute Healer trait when ressing a downed person;
4. You can double tap to get an emergency heal (not bad with ~1k healing power);
5. When a thief BP + HS you to backstab and nothing else is up, Shield 4 protection will help you eat it and the HS spam afterwards, hopefully buying time. You can also give protection to teammates (so they don’t get AIDS?) when you know a burst (Static Discharge Engi, ugh) is coming. Chain with “Hold the Line!” to be even more annoying.

Well you can block the giant I suppose, if you Shield 5 and pop Virtue of Courage or “Retreat!” at the same time…

“4. You can double tap to get an emergency heal (not bad with ~1k healing power);”

1k healing power gives u around ONLY 200+ heal with the shield (that have 40~32 sec cd). Healing power sucks.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Ralkuth.1456

“4. You can double tap to get an emergency heal (not bad with ~1k healing power);”

1k healing power gives u around ONLY 200+ heal with the shield (that have 40~32 sec cd). Healing power sucks.

1098 Healing power gives a 1520 AoE heal with the Shield of Absorption Detonate. It’s not a lot but does buy a crucial second.

5 useless class titles

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in Guardian

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The 5 skill not the problem is the 4 skill on shield it missing a stun like effect. A shield that can push ppl back and block ranges attks fits the bill for a magic armor hero but the lack of a stun like effect on the “shield bash like” attk is something that missing from the magic armor hero type.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Guardian

Ralkuth.1456

The 5 skill not the problem is the 4 skill on shield it missing a stun like effect. A shield that can push ppl back and block ranges attks fits the bill for a magic armor hero but the lack of a stun like effect on the “shield bash like” attk is something that missing from the magic armor hero type.

I’d think a shield bash is a pretty physical thing. Warrior shield already has it and I think it’s going to be improbable that Guards get it as well. Besides the Stun Signet we don’t get any sort of stun anyway. Compared with how brutal Warriors wield maces and hammers, giving you a concussion with each swing (stun), Guards use magic that defy physical laws (bubble pushback, walls, rings, aegis and the famous hammer launch)… that’s what i think.

Shield 4 is pretty defensive and also buffs your team… fits with Guard.

5 useless class titles

in Guardian

Mikau.6920

Some points…
5. When a thief BP + HS you to backstab and nothing else is up, Shield 4 protection will help you eat it and the HS spam afterwards, hopefully buying time. You can also give protection to teammates (so they don’t get AIDS?) when you know a burst (Static Discharge Engi, ugh) is coming. Chain with “Hold the Line!” to be even more annoying.

1098 Healing power gives a 1520 AoE heal with the Shield of Absorption Detonate. It’s not a lot but does buy a crucial second.

I’m not complaining about it, I’m talking about the healing power. With 0 healing power, the detonate of shield of absorption heals for 1300; and with 1000, I’ll be healed by 1500.

I’m complaining about the healing power, not the skill it self.

The healing power makes no difference.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Ralkuth.1456

I see. I never run Shield without healing power and bunker traits so I haven’t checked on that. 20% scaling is poor-ish.

5 useless class titles

in Guardian

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

What’s all this talk about Shield being a gimmick… Shield 5 is great in high level fractals for some instant projectile defence and an AoE knockback/interrupt. I catch Mossman Axes with my Shield 5 all the time. Also, why does Guardian need even more blocks? Guardian already has more blocks than anyone else… can’t you just be content at being the best?

Although Shield 4 could be a good candidate for a change, it is somewhat underwhelming.

in Guardian

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

The shield is useful in team pvp? Since when?

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

heh but melee block on shield of absorption could be great
in most cases if fighting melee enemy shield 5 have only one function – double tap it.
we have knockback a little heal….
problem with keeping longer that skill up is that in the second after poping melee enemies are back in the melee range – so only thing i can do is detonate baoble and dodge/whatever….

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Guardian

Mikau.6920

The #5 is ok in PvP with a AoE CC and 4 sec invul ranged (the problem would be the cd). The #4 is “meh” considering that they nerfed to 3 sec of protection.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

SchuMidas.4782

how bout shield function like warrior/engi when traited will add bubble like current + block melee aswell,

atleast engi and warrior can enjoy they 2 good skill on shield and guardian gets 1 useless and 1 good skills for shield

SchuMidas – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Shield is amazing and the focus is amazing. AoE knock down is so critical in small group WvW. You can get blocks off shelter and renewal and focus is you really want.

Gate of Madness

in Guardian

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

No its not useful at all. AoE knockback with projectile blocking is totally worthless. It might be not be the greatest ability in the world but its ludicrous to act like its not valuable in certain builds. I can take a point from anyone 1 v1 with hammer and scepter shield combo.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

the only thing I can find against shield as a guardian I can type…
shield is meant to use it to block attacks… no matter what profession am I that is the first thing for which shield was invented.
so why being guardian means that I cannot “just block” the incoming atack?
I know, I know that we have many other blocks but that’s the only really problem I see in shield for guardians…

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Guardian

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Shield is the bunker off-hand weapon of the guardian. Don’t touch it at all. Many of us in SPVP/TPVP spec it with 20% recast…

If anything, Torch would use more love to compensate for the utilities on focus or shield. Even with heavy condition meta, the Cleanse on Torch isn’t enough to bring it back in regular build.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in Guardian

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

Pretty sure the 40+ fractals builds use shield (for stacking protection), so you can’t even say its bad in PvE.

Any knockback is going to be worth it in pvp, especially since focus 4 is so lackluster.

in Guardian

Posted by: Totbot.4583

Totbot.4583

the only thing I can find against shield as a guardian I can type…
shield is meant to use it to block attacks… no matter what profession am I that is the first thing for which shield was invented.
so why being guardian means that I cannot “just block” the incoming atack?
I know, I know that we have many other blocks but that’s the only really problem I see in shield for guardians…

I think you’re just getting caught up with semantics. Guardian shield doesn’t “block” things with the definition of what “block” is in GW2, but its certainly blocks things. It gives you more armor so its “blocking” damage. It also gives AoE protection so it also “blocks” damage that way. In addition, it can knock back players and block projectiles.

It may not have an ability that says “Block the next x attacks”, but flavor-wise it does block damage via protection, armor, and knockbacks. Plus, those things are more magic oriented than what a Warrior’s shield does so it fits with the Guardian flavor even more.

in Guardian

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I love the shield, I think it’s really useful when you play with others. It’s a teamplay weapon, not a solo weapon.

While the skills for the shield is not that good, I think it works, but I welcome any minor buff that could be given. That being the shield being able to block melee attacks as well.

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

I’d be ok if they added Aegis to caster + 4 others on activation of skill #5.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

hmm how about if we think of the shield as a metaphor for she skills the Guardian can do with it equipped?

- shield blocks, i.e. protects. so you cast protection on your allies and self.
- you also push foes back —>alleviating pressure on allies or self.
- absorbing projectiles —> protecting allies or self.
- heals —> though the coefficient not being high, it helps in situations when its needed and a lot of the mitigation Guardian gets is via “outhealing” damage taken which allows us to achieve high levels of sustain, so every heal can help.

the Guardian in gw2 is a heavy class, which lends itself to great group support and the Guardian shield is designed in such a way where it can do so, perhaps more so than just blocking melee attacks for one self.

though, i’m merely stating how i view the shield as it is right now. i think shield 5 is great. wouldn’t mind seeing some chagnes to shield 4 though. to either up the damage a bit or add another secondary boon when used.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Markus.7918

Markus.7918

Yeah…. a shield that doesn’t block is cool, the high cooldown compared to the usefulness of the skills is also cool, i understand where you are heading……

It would be much smarter if having a shield equipped would give you Aegis every 10s to 30s seconds as a passive.