why are this class called: Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: eldain stenlund.4306

eldain stenlund.4306

I dont get the name on this class.

There is nothing “guardy” about it.
You cant actively guard your friends, due to long CDs.

And the hp base ?

My warrior in full DPS gear. have 22 k hp.

My guardian in full defense gear. Power / though / vital. have 17 k hp…

Seriously ?

And the traits doesnt seem to work as they should either.
I get the Improvement in 30 p precision tree. you should double the dmg reduction.
It still says onlyy 10% reduced dmg.

Guardian ??

There is nothing he can do to be called “guard”

When i played swtor, i played juggernaut.
Now that class actually had an active Guard option to protect your friends.
(where you took 30 % of dmg).
It had a Slow attack, to let your friends get away, or keep enemy close.
It had a push attack, to interupt, and save your friends.

etc.

What The Hell is a guardians role in this game ??
Dance support ??

And symbols..
Why do i place those crap on the ground ?? It should be an aura.
In pvp. people dont want to stand still in your little fine AoE…

(edited by eldain stenlund.4306)

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

First of all Guardians offer a vast amount of defensive boons to allies then any other class.(Shouts, 5 in virtues, tomes, weapons,) Now for the 30p in Radiance, I’m assuming you’re talking about the signet Grandmaster trait. if I rememeber correctly the boosted passive effects increased the values by 20%, and Signet of Resolve makes it so it clears 2 Conditions every 10 seconds instead of 1. Though signet of Judgment’s tool tip would be wrong, as the correct value would be 12% Damage Reduction. The base HP is fine on a Guardian, from what i’ve heard before when they had HP on par with Warriors they were very OP. Not to mention Vitality doesn’t mean squat if you do not have any mitigation. So a full DPS speced warrior can still be blown up very fast compared to a Guardian with passive healing/damage mitigation. So Hp isn’t that much of a issue. A good spot for guardian’s hp should be around the 14k-16k mark.

Edit:For the additional stuff, you have weapon abilities and other utilities that fit the guard role. if you want to be a defender Control/ CC type go with hammer, you want good AoE DPS and Control, go GS, Supporty, Buffer type, go Staff, Mace Shield, sustain and projectile absorption. Symbols are more for Area control and the light Combo field which can cleanse and give retaliation. (Cleanse-projectile Finisher, Leap and Blast Retaliation.)The symbols offer boons and such as bonus for just standing in them. If you don’t like that type of thing, and you want Aura for bonuses, roll a Banner Warrior or a Ele.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in Guardian

eldain stenlund.4306

so my 30 point trait.. improve my dmg reduction signet with 2 % ???
Now thats a useless trait then.

And to my knowledge. Thoughness + Vitality IS tank gear.
I have thoughness on all my gear. still doesnt seem to help kitten.

I even tried using a shield to get those crappy extra 90 toughness and 90 armor.

To me, guardians seem to be what paladin was in early wow. Buff Bots, nothing more.
I can use staff to get 1 second short of perma 12 stack might to all allies.
That seem to be the best and only thing a guardian can do.

I tried:
scepter to stay at distance and buff my backline. scepter cant hit for kitten.
Mace + shield to run frontline and help.. doesnt help for kitten.
2 handed Hammer. to try help with dps and support… ground symbol crap….

Tried GS. Now here i could actually DO help, every 12 second.
I pull ppl close, drop my retaliation symbol. thats about it.

Tried staff.. to give ppl perma might. most boring playstyle ever. Buff Bot.

in Guardian

Lucentfir.7430

PTV gear is tank gear true, but if you’re just relying on it to take every hit you can, that’s bad, Toughness in what I visualize it’s use for is softening up the small hits by a lot but big hits are supposed to be dodged. I don’t know what type of build you’re looking for either so it’s kinda vague to me, It all depends on your armor/Trinket stats, and trait set up honestly. Also yes we’re kinda like a buff bot, but we still have more uses outside of giving buffs. If you just don’t like how Guardian’s playstyles are well you can reroll another class?

in Guardian

Posted by: Tyber Valens.5148

Tyber Valens.5148

To a point I understand the OP. Guardians do have some active skills that can defend someone but for a very short period of time. Shield #5 can force foes back, Sanctuary is similar but neither of them protect against aoe which is frustrating at times. The staff’s #5 skill line of warding can slow down an advance. The hammer can knock back and create an impassable ring. However these are short durations with long cooldowns.

A lot of the Guardian abilities are through boons and condition removal. You can kind of target person with Purging Flames by standing near them. In my opinion a lot of guardian support is done passively and by that I mean you can’t target a specific person. Granted in dungeons you can pop shouts near your team and they will get the boon. However in WvWvW or in open world PvE its hit or miss. Your team mate gets a much needed regen or protection boon or some random player that was doing just fine will gets it instead.

To be perfectly honest if your looking for that feedback of watching someone’s health bar spike up from your heal or pulling an enemy off a teammate; your in the wrong game. In GW2 everyone and I mean everyone is basically a damage dealer with some secondary abilities that in other games would be considered a secondary profession. For example the Guardian is a GW1 Dervish primary with secondary mix of Monk and Paragon.

Templar Valens – Human – Guardian
Server: Maguuma

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

if you’re open to advice, i’d say a lot of great Guardians on here, new and old, can offer a lot to help. this may be just me, and forgive me, but it seems you’ve already set your mind that Guardians are terrible..

in the beginning, i felt my Guardian couldn’t hit hard, and i was dying a lot. so what are Guardians exactly good at? i then spent a lot of time “studying” the class if you will.. learning the traits, what each utility does, how weapon skills work and can pair up with one another.. took some time to put together armor and gear choices to get the stats that i want to suit my playstyle, and i want to say, i am faring a lot better now.

a good mixture of toughness + vitality of course can help you survive more so than pure berserkers gear ever could. at the same time though, you can’t expect to just stand still, not using utilities and just take hits.

Guardians yes, while they have a lot of boons at their disposal, are able to provide a lot of condition removal, stability, AoE effects through blinds, burns, etc, have a butt ton of fun control, and more importantly, the ability to stay in a fight for pretty darn long. puttnig all that together, you have great dmg mitigation, you’re able to res peolpe as good as you are able to down people, and believe it or not, there are a bunch of builds out there that can be a lot of fun. i’ve seen Guards that don’t play on active boons at all and still wreck kitten, and of course, staying alive to do so.

moreover, i’m actually curious to hear what you have to say about other classes then. don’t mean any of this in a demeaning manner, so if it comes across that way, please forgive.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

OP sounded so angry at Guardian .. lol.

There are a lot of good information on the profession, on this forum, in other parts of the Internet, and on the Guild Wars 2 Wiki. It is no coincidence that Guardian is a highly respected profession among the GW2 players – it is the most balanced profession compared to other professions, and it is highly wanted in dungeon runs and party (and not because a Guardian can deal OMG dps).

Learn the mechanics of Guardian. Learn why a profession that wears heavy armor has the same base HP as a cloth-wearing Elementalist. It would seemed you have grind through 80 levels without really understand how Guardian works (which, is highly possible with the easy PvE content).

So, go do some reading up. Talk to a veteran Guardian. Run a few dungeons with an experienced Guardian. Don’t go all postal on a profession you don’t understand. If something is making you so upset, then I guess that something is not for you.

in Guardian

eldain stenlund.4306

if you’re open to advice, i’d say a lot of great Guardians
moreover, i’m actually curious to hear what you have to say about other classes then. don’t mean any of this in a demeaning manner, so if it comes across that way, please forgive.

Please dont be a polititian towards me. (i hate polititians).
I prefer people to be straight, and say what they want. blunt or not..

About other classes.
Well, iam an old gamer. since first real computer games. you know. Pong.. etc.
Up untill today, so i have probably played a few thousand games in total.

I have (and iam probably not alone).. special plans for when i pick different classes.

*Elementalist. Master of four elements. (fire, water, air, earth). so naturally i think.
Spell slinger. Fireballs, Firestorms, Earthquakes, Magic weapons. etc. cool.
But it turns out its not realy like that..
“go dagger/dagger noob”… something new to a mage class is fun and all. but..realy ??

*Guardian. The strong defender of your friends. Your champion. etc.
So i expect it to be a very strong guard based class, where you have alot of options to REALY defend and protect your friends. Control of your surroundings.
but, thats not what i found.
Instead it was:
Low hp.
Low armor.
Buff Bot to random people in the AoE.
Long Cds on the few Active defenses you do have. 40 seconds.

I heard, and saw a few early vids of guardians having same hp as warrios.
People said they were hard as hell to kill.
well DUH. they are guardians, they should be hard to kill.

BUT… what A-net did wrong was giving HP without sacrificing dps.
so, naturaly an early guardian, 25 k hp, dmg reduction, minor healing, + DPS. Is OP.

What i whould suggest for A-net, to make guardians a real Guard.
And its not much different than it is now. just 2 new traits. and a working shield.

*20 point honor trait: While using shield, increases HP by XX %.
*30 point valor trai:. While using shield increases armor by XX %.
*Reduce CD on shields… ALOT. have them at.. 15 seconds atleast. not 30-40.

This whould give you a chanse to realy be a frontline guardian.

Can it be OP ? if you weapon swith ? i dont think so no.
the second you whould switch from your shield, you lose your extra armor and hp
and be as squishy as you were before using it.

The best “guardian” classes i have played are from:
Warhammer, The Chosen.
Swtor, The Juggernaut.

Those were real guardians. Active skills to realy protect and defend.
Stuns, knockbacks, slows, AoE weakening, minor healing support, even a spell where you took 30 % of the dmg of the person you “guard”.

If i play a guardian, Shouldnt i be up in the front line defending my friends and support them with active skills ??

If my ideas i middle, is abit too steep.
Just making Symbols into AURA, instead of crappy ground.
Whould be a big step in the right direction.

But before this, its not a guardian class.
Its a Buff Bot, to random people. nothing more.
“Your a guardian, protect us”. Umm, sry, 40 second cd. come back later.
“Give us swiftness from staff you noob”.
“Give us might you noob”.
“Give us perma protection from hammer” – YE, if you tell the enemy to stand still.

Active gameplay, and pvp, can not have stationary buffs. (symbols).
Its not chess… Enemies arent standing still waiting for your move.

in Guardian

akamon.2769

eldain – how was i being a politician? i’m just not one to be rude. don’t see the need for it. perhaps i coulda chosen other words in case it wasn’t straight enough, but i told you exactly what i was thinknig and that it was you didn’t seem to even want to give the Guardian a chance. and thus, wanted to hear what you thought about the other classes in comparison to your terrible attitude towards this heavy-armored class.

i will agree that the shield could use a lot of working. i don’t know about the traits specifically you mentioned, though seem like a good idea. the 2 shield skills we have definitely don’t feel like we’re able to as actively protect and Guard our comrades out there. the protection and knockback / absorbing projectiles help a little, but it’s not, like you said, active usage to actually protect those around us.

though i believe that to be in part of ANet’s philosophy of not having a holy trinity. now this is actually my first MMO so i don’t have first hand experience in how other games played in the genre but it seems this game isn’t designed for any player to be able to specifically target other players and support or direct heal. they want each class and everyone to be able to hold their own, while being able to support each other when in a group setting. that being said, the Guardians IS one of the best classes to be able to do so. though perhaps not in the way you had envisioned it or seen in other games.. i can count more cases than not where when i did choose to deliberately active certain shouts or my virtues, where i was able to prevent my allies from getting downed (in dungeons, PvP, WvW). and that in a sense is “support”. and by Guarding by not allowing others to die in front of you.

see an ally about to be stomped in PvP? you can easily use shield to knock the enemy back (well, provided they don’t have stability) and res your teammate. so it’s maybe more using what you have at your disposal to help your allies.

and i beg to differ about symbols. yes, i agree stationary skills aren’t the best in active gameplay. sure, most good players WILL be smart enough to move out of your symbols.. but you have a bunch of control skills to ensure they stay on your symbols. also, if you communicate to your party members “hey my symbols will buff you and heal you” they will do what they can in their power to benefit from that if the situation allows them to. i actually like how the symbols play for the Guardian.

i wish we had more stuns and slows.. but we do have a lot of knockback. we can do AoE weakening, we can do AoE blinds, we can most definitely minor support healign passively and actively.. add in the tome or courage. i don’t use it myself that much, but i’ve seen videos of Guards use it super clutch. there’s protection. and ah, there you go, you can AoE daze foes too. the #5 skill on this tome is the closest it comes to massive healing. if you’re able to pull it off, those around you get a full heal – 1 to 20k HP is possible. but yuo need to learn the class, learn other classes, the machanics that tie it all together, and you and will be very able to do those things that you listed.

and if people are asking you of those things you listed, then perhaps they have to learn and adapt to the way Gw2 plays. don’t let them tell you how to play anyways. if you wanna go straight meditations and play selfishly, so be it.

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Yramrag.3026

Probably worth repeating.

" If something is making you so upset, then I guess that something is not for you."

Applicable to talking about the profession Guardian or the game Guild Wars 2.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

You’re definitely not playing right

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Yramrag.3026

You’re definitely not playing right

But don’t tell him that! He is an old-time gamer who has played thousands of games since Pong.

in Guardian

Lucentfir.7430

Again low HP pool isn’t really a problem, it just depends on your build, I know the feeling. Though if you’re looking for high survivability build for it Here is a example of great survivability http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SADwGETO2U (This is just to show why having a low HP pool is no problem). Previous posts are also correct what you’re describing to me now that I think about it is a “tank”. Lots of CC’s, defense buffs via auras, High survivability, low DPS. There are plenty of utilities/elites focused around supporting groups, and guarding your allies. (Sanctuary, Warding, Wall of Reflection, Mace 3, Shield of Avenger, etc.)

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

several ways the guardian guards its party members
1) protection boon which gives the party members 30% damage reduction.
2) aegis boon, which blocks incoming attack on all party members.
3) stability, which guards the party members from all kinds of wicked CC .
4) wall of reflection, protect the party members behind the wall from all projectiles.
5) sanctuary, protect the party members from “foes and projectiles”
6)shield of the avenger, protect the party from damage inside the shield
7) protectors strike, protects nearby allies with shield (small AOE block around the guardian)
8) shield of absorption, push back foes and protect allies from projectiles.
9) ring of warding and line of warding, protects the party members from enemies.

probably more, but i am to lazy to write everything….

in Guardian

eldain stenlund.4306

4) wall of reflection, protect the party members behind the wall from all projectiles.
7) protectors strike, protects nearby allies with shield (small AOE block around the guardian)
9) ring of warding and line of warding, protects the party members from enemies.

1) protection. People move around. making symbols on ground crap.
2) aegis boon. 60 and 90 Sec CD. for 1 hit use each. any kind of hit.
3) stability. 30 sec cd. 5 sec use. Useable.
4) wall of reflection. Above, and Side still vulnerable. and people move.
5) sanctuary. 2 MIN CD ??? for 6 second use.. seriously.
6)shield of the avenger. 60 second cd..
7) protectors strike. First attack, you or ally get, it disapears.
8) shield of absorption 40 second CD.. for 4 sec shield… crap.
9) ring of warding. to slow animation. need a root to make it work, hence obsolete.

Thats what i see.

Guardian is a false name for this class.

The class is based around a few shouts. (some good some bad).
And symbols on ground.

I have played around with the traits, larger symbols, more dmg on symbols,
symbols heal, symbols cause vulnerabiltiy… etc etc.

Symbols are pure crap when placed on ground.
the second you step outside it. you will lose your boon you get from it within
1 – 2 seconds.

So what good is it to buff up symbols… If i cant use them to max ??

“then dont use symbols” “root enemies in them”.
still doesnt make grounding symbols less flawed.

Can i lock them in myself ?
Ring of warding lasting 5 seconds… switch fast to hammer. it takes 3.5 – 4 seconds to put the symbol down from hammer… 1, 2 hit… …. … … 3 hit symbol.
And if the enemy use stability, he just walk out.

Can i root them myself ?
hammer chain skill root 2.5 seconds.. even worse than the ring.

I have tried increased boon duration gear + traits.
I have tried “tank” gear. (vital / though).
I have tried Hammer.
I have tried. Shield. you know. GUARDian. should make sense, but doesnt.
I have tried. Scepter. Ranged, safe support. Cant hit for crap. slooow.

Iam not going to try:
GS dps. (I have my warrior doing atleast 4 times more dmg).
Focus. 45 second Cd.. to take 3 hits. (any hit).

Simply put. This far.
I dont find anything about this class to LEGALY name it Guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nachtz.4930

Nachtz.4930

8) shield of absorption 40 second CD.. for 4 sec shield… crap.
9) ring of warding. to slow animation. need a root to make it work, hence obsolete.

Thats what i see.

1) It does not make symbols crap, it just means your group is not really clever
2) Which is basically like a free dodge on all attack. On of the best spell in game
3) Not even useable, it’s great
4) Again, one of the best spell in the game. If your group does move aside the wall, then find another group. Anyone playing often with guardians know how wonderful this spell is. (Who said grawls fractal ?!)
5) Awesome on certain boss (who said Big Tom ?)
6) So what ? Temporize, this game is not only about using spells to reduce damages, you can run/dodge
7) Basically a free aegis on any spell with a very short CD. Wonderful spell again
8) Awesome initiator for light combo + great way to free an over-aggroed ally
9) My must-have spell in WvW combined with Hammer.

I suggest you change class, you just don’t get it. Guardians do have some crappy spells, but NONE of them are in your list.

As for calling it guardian, I only play with supporting spells (it depends on the situation, but usually Wall of Reflection + Hold The Line/Shield of avenger/Sanctuary + Stand your ground), I have a build which makes that everytime I do a critical hit, I heal my allies, and since I got more than 50% critical chance, it does proc very well. Basically, I “guard” my allies, whatever you can say…

(edited by Nachtz.4930)

in Guardian

eldain stenlund.4306

If A-net Doesnt like the Old and proved to be working GOOD way… Trinity.

Why do we even have different classes and roles ?
Its clear that you are not allowed to specialize deep into a class and be Strong at just:
Defense. Support. Range dps. Melee dps. Healing.

wonder when they will nerf warrior dps, they are realy realy good at that,
a.k.a Speciality.

I had alot of fun in WoW, playing a tankadin in pvp.
I was what you call. Guardian. Hard to kill. Great Support. Medium dmg.

I had alot of Fun in Warhammer Playing chosen tank.
Hard to kill. Great Support. Medium dmg

I had alot of fun in Swtor playing Juggernaut.
Hard to kill. Great support. Medium dmg.

Please. fix symbols and shields. make the guardian class a real guardian.

in Guardian

eldain stenlund.4306

Iam talking about PvP and WvW.

pve is braindead enough as it is.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nachtz.4930

Nachtz.4930

Yeah, let’s completly ignore a major part of the game, right. As for WvW, saying a guardian cannot “guard” just proves how bad you must be with this class… I have heard loads of BS, but this one, I would have never thought I could read it once. Just LOL…

By the way, you should suggest to rename the thiefs, since they do not steal anything…

in Guardian

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

Go play something else. This games mechanics was DESIGNED to move away from old school trinity mechanics.

Complaining that it is not doing what it was not designed to do is incredibly silly.

The Guardian performs as a Guardian very well. Its a L2 kitten ue.

You wont be able to get through to the OP. Cant teach an old dog new tricks.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I had alot of fun in WoW, playing a tankadin in pvp.
I was what you call. Guardian. Hard to kill. Great Support. Medium dmg.

My advice, go back to WoW. This game, and especially this class, is not for you.

Go play something else. This games mechanics was DESIGNED to move away from old school trinity mechanics.

Complaining that it is not doing what it was not designed to do is incredibly silly.

You wont be able to get through to the OP. Cant teach an old dog new tricks.

The first four sentences are a perfect quote to you OP.

However, I beg to differ on the last one. I’m an old schooler too that had, and still has, the Pong game and I love this game.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

(edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682)

in Guardian

eldain stenlund.4306

I dont have those old games or computers left sadly.

But i do have a commodore 128. with kassete, and discdrive. (big floppy)
working. and old original game: Pool of Radiance.
(and some other).

Should be somewhere in the storage.

To the others.

Guardians are not perfect as they are.
They are very much flawed, and not a real Guardian class.
There is nothing “protective” “guarding” “defensive” about this class that seperates them to the others.

Boons ? you get that from other classes also.

When i play a protective class. I want to have active play style.
Hard to kill, while Harrassing the enemy in the front line.
Knockbacks, Interupts, Slows, AoE weakness, Stuns etc.

(edited by eldain stenlund.4306)

in Guardian

akamon.2769

doode, just go play something else then if you’re not even willing to try to learn how the class can work or play. cause that’s what it sounds like.

again, you mention these things:
“When i play a protective class. I want to have active play style.
Hard to kill, while Harrassing the enemy in the front line.
Knockbacks, Interupts, Slows, AoE weakness, Stuns”

Guardians can be hard as hell to kill. we can definitely harass the enemy while doing so. we have knockbacks, interupts, and then albeit slightly different.. we CAN have access to slows, stuns and we have AoE vuln and AoE blinds – which are even better. add in wardings and area denial.

and the “active playstyle” that you’re looking for is just not what YOU want it to be. doesn’t mean it isn’t there. and i definitely agree that the class isn’t perfect, being there are a TON of things that the devs could work on. just not to the extent that you envisioned them to be. and i have fun with the Guardian in guild wars 2 and look forward to the further changes they will make to the class.

you need to let go of what you want the Guardian class to be and try to enjoy it for what it is – which is really fun and dynamic. why play new games or try things out if they frustrate you so, and if these old games have what is in your mind, “perfection”? given that you did venture out, if things aren’t what you expected them to be, perhaps this game or this class just isn’t for you then. there’s something for everyone out there. and a ton happen to enjoy this class, in this game, and they’ve all found their own ways to play it.

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I lol’d. I’m gonna assume this is a troll post. Either that, or OP has never done a dungeon… or WvW… or any large event ever.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Guardian

akamon.2769

thanks for putting perspective on this matter, Halcyon! i’m gonna assume the same now. :PPP

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

I dont get the name on this class.

There is nothing “guardy” about it.
You cant actively guard your friends, due to long CDs.

The name “guardian” is not about guarding, it’s derived from the sense of a caretaker. Just like a legal guardian.

And the hp base ?

My warrior in full DPS gear. have 22 k hp.

My guardian in full defense gear. Power / though / vital. have 17 k hp…

Seriously ?

To make a fair comparison, you need to consider effective health rather than base HP since it will mislead you into thinking the way you are thinking now.

Guardians have a passive Block and Health Regen which adds up to improve their base HP. For each x damage that is blocked, that is equivalent to a +x in their base HP.

And the traits doesnt seem to work as they should either.
I get the Improvement in 30 p precision tree. you should double the dmg reduction.
It still says onlyy 10% reduced dmg.

Guardian ??

I would assume that you are talking about Signet of Judgment. The tool tip is not updated when you spec for Perfect Inscription and the +2% to the passive may not be much but in conjunction with +33% damage reduction from protection, that’s a solid 45% damage reduction.

There is nothing he can do to be called “guard”

Guard and guardian are 2 different things. A guardian is not a guard, but a custodian or caretaker.

When i played swtor, i played juggernaut.
Now that class actually had an active Guard option to protect your friends.
(where you took 30 % of dmg).

Why use a skill similar to that in SWTOR when you can just give everyone toughness (Strength in Numbers) and health regen at all times (Battle Presence)?

Also “Save yourselves” transfer all condition to you.

It had a Slow attack, to let your friends get away, or keep enemy close.
It had a push attack, to interupt, and save your friends.

etc.

Hammer and Staff has Wards that are impassable for the enemy. Sanctuary is a great skill to save your friend. “Retreat” are great to help your friends get away. Shield of Absorption is a great push back and AoE heal.

What The Hell is a guardians role in this game ??
Dance support ??

A caretaker.

And symbols..
Why do i place those crap on the ground ?? It should be an aura.
In pvp. people dont want to stand still in your little fine AoE…

Symbols in PvP is great when taking/defending a capture point.

It seems that you are too caught up with what a “guardian” really mean in terms of the definition of the word instead of the definition of the role. The common misconception is mostly based on the player’s bias on what they think what the profession should do rather than basing on how the developer designed the profession.

If you set aside your bias and receive the profession with an open mind, you will understand why such profession is designed that way. If you cannot, then your bias will always be the barrier blocking you from understanding any of the professions.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Guardian

Posted by: ThrottleFox.2735

ThrottleFox.2735

I have to disagree, its all about how you play, I didn’t like it at first either. Once I got geared with the right stuff running what people now call a ‘bunker’ build, PvE was great and was unkillable and in WvW it took 4, thats right 4 to take me out.

When people see guardian they think tank, but you should really think melee support, you skills and support as a bunker get but better if you are around people unlike a warrior you are a group class and that’s where you shine. Specced right you can support and still hand out a beat down.

I want to say L2Play, but I think you know how too you just aren’t playing this class just right, play with what works for you and you will like the guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

haha, this guy is funny. Clearly this game isn’t for the OP and at this point he’s simply trolling everyone who’s responding to him.

in Guardian

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

Look mate, during beta and a while after release everyone said Warrior was better. Now everyone and their mother praises guards for their survivability and versatility. Kinda funny really. All you gotta do is play your guard like a guard and not like a warrior. It takes more micromanagement and attention to detail than just spamming skills on a warrior. Trust me guardians have what you’re looking for, you just hit a stump. No big deal.

Actually wait. Reading ALL your posts now I smell somethin funny in this thread. Ah yes, the troll is strong within you.

P.S. Why “is” this class called Guardian.

(edited by SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453)

in Guardian

Posted by: azurerogue.9240

azurerogue.9240

This thread is so precious

in Guardian

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

You are playing the wrong class, I’m sure of it. Warriors are meat shields, Guardians aren’t

If you want a class that goes to the front line and can take a whole day of punishment, just roll Warrior, spam banners. Guardians are control-tankers, with many boons and heals

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t see why the name matters (unless the OP is just using the name as an excuse to complain about how the profession works). You like it or you don’t. I don’t think there is a serious complaint here.

in Guardian

Posted by: Siamak.8126

Siamak.8126

Why do you keep saying Iam in every post? it’s either I am or I’m…

in Guardian

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

How long have you been speaking English bro? Cuz your grammar skills are off the wall and make you sound god awful rude. You’re not conveying your ideas in a sensible manner and when someone wants to help you you refrain from accepting criticism and resort to answering your own question time and time again. Don’t dish it out if you can’t take none son.

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

This thread is so precious

The trolling is strong with this thread lol

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

I wanted to reply, but then decided it wasn’t worth my time, then changed my mind and decide I should write a post about how I wanted to reply but wasn’t worth my time…..

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

akamon.2769

I wanted to reply, but then decided it wasn’t worth my time, then changed my mind and decide I should write a post about how I wanted to reply but wasn’t worth my time…..

way to put me in my place mann haha cause i felt the same and lost control. incomnig wallotextttt

Amins for president!

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalnuir.4957

Lalnuir.4957

Oh god I couldn’t keep reading this thread after the suggestion to put the shield skills on a 15 second cool down.

in Guardian

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

@op: i stopped playing months ago. the people posting replies play against scrubs or are 2v1ing an opponent and think they are owning them when instead it’s a 2v1 or 3v1… that or they are hand-me-down friends of the developers or the usual “arenanet is always right” forum fanboys. if you leve the game and visit the forums months later you will read the same thing and seeing the “yes” men thinking they are always right.

that video that healer guardian posted: how many players are standing still within a small symbol radius? none. if they did stand still they would be killed instantly. symbols are worthless. that player saying all the boons guardians give are so great: doesn’t know that if you get shouts all the CC they say Guardians have is gone. that player saying the aegis, removed with any auto-attack, is “one of the best spells in the game”…..you will basically be trolled if you say anything.

(edited by wolfie.7296)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

While not playing on my guardian, playing thief as example guardian are the 1st i choose to kill due some pseudo-bulky and low health, no matter how much boons or healing power it has i can easily burst with 3k-8k per hit, with rage sigil, when it happens even i continue atacking while target is already dead :/.

Guardians are good in pack, or in the midle of the zerg.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

Troll feeding time.

a- your group sucks, b- protection from shout and vulnerability conversion
and another one from burning conversion, this boon is so strong too much of it will break the game. three party wide aegises in one minute (with renewed focus) and two more on yourslef from passive virtue and valorous defense… just have to learn to use them properly
[b ] 24 sec 5 sec use and 64 sec on 11 sec use, enough when needed. [/b]
then don’t move duh…
yes, situational, but life saving in dire situations. thats why you can swap utilities between fights
20 sec of invulnerability for the whole party on 60 sec CD…. where do i sign?
on 15 sec CD and free AOE protection if miss…
8 ) shield of absorption 40 second CD.. for 4 sec shield… crap.
32sec, but its good when used properly
line of warding cast on the run,

and the last:

its the sum of all things that make guardian a guardian and not a single skill.

in Guardian

Posted by: FloXun.1456

FloXun.1456

Only adding something about Wall of Reflection because I really do not feel like to even get drawn into this useless arguement.
OP wants the Guardian to be the tank role from the Holy Trinity, something which is NOT going to happen, Anet wanted to move away from the Trinity.

Now about WoR: Don’t stand behind it, stand inside of the combo field.

in Guardian

Lalnuir.4957

While not playing on my guardian, playing thief as example guardian are the 1st i choose to kill due some pseudo-bulky and low health, no matter how much boons or healing power it has i can easily burst with 3k-8k per hit, with rage sigil, when it happens even i continue atacking while target is already dead :/.

If your killing guardians 1v1 with a thief then to be blunt they are terrible guardians.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

If your killing guardians 1v1 with a thief then to be blunt they are terrible guardians.

i would say if “you” cant kill guardians with “your” thief then “you” are playing bad, or maybe im biased becouse i can counter the class that is my main, and noticed to many faults or ways to counter them overtime, imo guardians are the most easy class to kill in wvw, the damage diference isnt that much on this game between medium and high armor, there are no tanks and they are easy to burst dow, other thing are the RC compared with conditions aplyers no matter how many conditions you remove you will have always conditions on.

ps: and if i have a mesmer or necro assisting (X vs X) its dammn fast.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

I’ve been dropped out of no where because I didn’t see the thief come in drop me before I could react. It’s what they do. If you’ve never been quickly dropped by a thief then you’re not playing WvW at least.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Guardian

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

This post can’t possibly be for real.

Ah yeah, nevermind. Looked over his posts and see everybody is scratching their heads at him in the Elementalist forums, too.

(edited by Shootsfoot.9276)

in Guardian

Lalnuir.4957

i would say if “you” cant kill guardians with “your” thief then “you” are playing bad, or maybe im biased becouse i can counter the class that is my main, and noticed to many faults or ways to counter them overtime, imo guardians are the most easy class to kill in wvw, the damage diference isnt that much on this game between medium and high armor, there are no tanks and they are easy to burst dow, other thing are the RC compared with conditions aplyers no matter how many conditions you remove you will have always conditions on.

ps: and if i have a mesmer or necro assisting (X vs X) its dammn fast.

The only way a thief can kill a tanky guard in a 1v1 fight is if that guard face tanks a lot of CnD/back stabs. Which makes them a bad guardian for failing to dodge the CnD. The mug/CnD is harder to dodge but still possible and you still shouldn’t eat the back stab after it. Stun break + dodge roll isn’t hard.

Outside of back stab and heart seeker when under 50% hp thief damage isn’t scary and if you don’t drop below 50% hp then heart seeker barely tickles. If a thief doesn’t back off to heal they’ll kill them selves to retal damage before they kill me and if they back off to heal then I heal as well and it ends up in a stale mate until someone else joins the fight.

I’ve been dropped out of no where because I didn’t see the thief come in drop me before I could react. It’s what they do. If you’ve never been quickly dropped by a thief then you’re not playing WvW at least.

If a thief drops you before you can react when your by yourself with all your cool downs up you either have a very bad build or terrible reaction time.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I will concede that the low HP pool of the guardian does not conform with the archetype that the profession is based on. But that was mostly a game balance decision. Giving guardians a high base HP would be insane as it is now.

It is maybe a bit of a misnomer because it implies a defense-oriented profession, but the guardian can actually spec a number of different ways. I still think they are defense-oriented (make some of the best bunkers in the game currently), but it’s not all they can do. That’s the nice thing about GW2, you aren’t locked into roles. You maybe just have the wrong set of skills and traits selected if you want to be more defensive… I mean, you went 30 into radiance, although I don’t believe that’s a typical choice for most defensive guardians.

That said, it’s just a name. They could have called the profession “Hairdresser”, but the name of it doesn’t matter as far as the actual implementation. So it may be called “Guardian”, but it’s what you make of it. Nothing to get too bent out of shape over, I would think.

in Guardian

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

Arena should restrict pugs like this from posting. Completely wasting everyone’s time. |

“oh no, its not what i wanted, i want this, i want that, oh no, this doesnt do what i expect , whats the point blablabla”

Go play hello kitty.

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I didn’t even have to read the OP to agree with it. /agree x100%.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.