would full nomad guard be useful in dungeons?

in Guardian

Posted by: Nausiation.1469

Nausiation.1469

Hello, I’ve never really done any end game pve/dungeons and was wondering if a nomad guardian with shouts build could be useful as a tank/healer for the team.

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

Bullet Punch

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

As Kek said no.

Mainly because support beyond the base amount you get from a few utility skills or from the hammer is not needed in any dungeon unless your team mates are complete idiots, in which case its better to get new team mates then respec.

Damage potential comes in far more handy.

in Guardian

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

It’s the closest you can get to non existent.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

The only reason to use a Nomad set is if you are a WvW commander. Even then, you should think twice.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

The only reason to use a Nomad set is if you are a WvW commander. Even then, you should think twice.

Well, if you like fighting zergs like a wet noodle while watching a stream (with a beer and a cigarette), this armor set is for you. xD

Jokes aside, MAYBE this set will be useful later on, when they fix the stacking and zerker meta.

(edited by Kraljevo.2801)

in Guardian

oxtred.7658

Fixing something implies it’s broken, so it won’t happen.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Sadly support builds are only useful in areas like the new silverwaste zone and wvw/pvp. Large area battles. On the bright side. More and more large area battles seem to be coming into the game. Ont he down side. By the nature of this games combat mechanics its VERY unlikely that dungeons will ever require support. And the issue with support is that if it isn’t NEEDED to pass something than its simply suboptimal. (I can heal for 9000 health a burst!…Yeah but we only took 2000 damage can you also deal 7000 to make up for the time we lost?)

Ghost Yak

in Guardian

oxtred.7658

Sadly support builds are only useful in areas like the new silverwaste zone and wvw/pvp. Large area battles. On the bright side. More and more large area battles seem to be coming into the game. Ont he down side. By the nature of this games combat mechanics its VERY unlikely that dungeons will ever require support. And the issue with support is that if it isn’t NEEDED to pass something than its simply suboptimal. (I can heal for 9000 health a burst!…Yeah but we only took 2000 damage can you also deal 7000 to make up for the time we lost?)

Your lack of comprehension is.. disturbing.

in Guardian

Shadelang.3012

oxtred I wasn’t stating my own personal view however the view of most people I encounter in the game. In most games I play a control or debillitator play style. Just as I do in pvp and wvw in this game. However it faces the same stigma as dedicated support players do. (Not the guardian in the meta build with well timed aegis and cleanses but a full on (healian) who goes in with the sole intention of supporting and THEN dpsing not dpsing with supports at key times which is what we have in most groups now)

I DARE you to say that a guardian in full clerics will be promoted more in most “meta” groups than a guardian in zealots or zerker. Dungeons are NOT the priority of the game at this time meaning that its VERY unlikely that the mechanics will change. And in the current mechanics of dungeons a support guardian simply isn’t necessary.

That changes when you go out into the current open world group event system. Many of the events you can see people getting mobbed and dragged down by mordrem. At this time an actual dedicated support guardian is actually useful and in that situation probably the best at the job of keeping the poor kitten alive till he can get away.

Im not sure where you get me having a lack of comprehension. But of course upon looking at your earlier post you SEEM to support the stack and zerk meta. Which is part of the reason why DEDICATED support guardians just aren’t needed or wanted at this time in dungeon groups. (feel free to bite back if you feel in wrong here or if I missed something in your one sentence posts) so its hard to take you seriously “shrug”

Ghost Yak

in Guardian

oxtred.7658

tl; dr: a nomad guardian has less support than a berserker guardian, given equal builds. And if the nomad is a AH tank, then he’s a waste of a slot no matter how good he is. No one in my group ever get below 90% health, and I’m full berserker taking newcomers to dungeons. Guardians in cleric aren’t promoted in this meta, and it’s a great thing, because you can support perfectly fine in offensive gear.

in Guardian

Shadelang.3012

soooo were in perfect agreement…. ooookaay then.

Ghost Yak

in Guardian

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Guardian support is about preventing damage, not healing or tanking damage. Preventing damage to the group works the same no matter what gearset you use.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Well, if you like fighting zergs like a wet noodle while watching a stream (with a beer and a cigarette), this armor set is for you. xD

Jokes aside, MAYBE this set will be useful later on, when they fix the stacking and zerker meta.

That word “fix” implies that it’s broken, which it’s not, it’s working exactly as designed and presented.

In this game you can go just about full DPS and still pull it off because they designed the game to rely on active defense more than passive defense, and that’s where the zerker idea comes in. The difference between zerker and soldier is simply passive defense and damage potential. The game was built to allow zerker. With that of course zerker having the highest damage potential (or assassins in some cases) it’s become the meta as people generally want to do things faster not just safer.

As for stacking, well that’s 2 reasons. Mob control and Boon sharing make it very worthwhile to move as a tightly packed group and use that to your advantage. LoSing spread out enemies will get them to pack tightly where you can cleave them all. And Might blasting won’t hit someone who’s ranging from 1000’ away.

I know, ranty, but it irks me when people complain about this design as it’s exactly what they set up and presented. It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone and it’s not broken, it’s just perhaps contrary to what some would like.

To the OP, Nomads is a no no, healing power does not scale well enough to be worthwhile, imo anywhere but especially PVE. 2 main reasons. First the damage you take when you allow yourself to be hit by most attacks is simply more than you can reasonably heal up consistently, you may be able to counter an attack or two, but then your cooldowns will be going while that next attack takes them out. And second, people have personal heals, that’s usually more than enough to keep them up.

If you do want to play supporty, you picked the right profession, but you simply don’t need that healing power to do so. Mace is actually a very nice weapon and provides a bit of healing which can be very nice. Hammer is permanent protection reducing all damage by 33%. Combine that with our Aegis abilities, projectile defense and Blinds we can prevent a lot of damage which adds up a lot faster than your heals will even with maxed out healing power.

If you’re concerned about not being able to handle zerker gear, then just try something with a bit more defense while you learn the content. Valkyrie gear is nice for a bit more health, Knights gear is the generally accepted starter set, though personally I liked the extra health on some of my characters while I was learning.

GL though, and again, No Nomads, it’s honestly a running joke in the dungeon community that a Nomad Staff Guardian is about the best way to be completely useless in a dungeon

in Guardian

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

No you would be a a burden to your party w/o contributing much damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

this game is about big damage, whatever game mode your playing , i dont know why Anet has this many stats if they dont work >_> or turn u to a gaming potato.

Marketing placebos trowed @ players!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

the only istance I could see it usefull would be WvWvW as well and even then only in a very tight nieche.

I made a two builds one for warrior one for guard which focus on surviving …everything.

main role is rezzing people from downstate which is quite fun on warrior with 30% more speed, rousing resilliance and last stand.

as for guardian same thing applies – and you are a bit of walking hp-buffer.

but thats it.

so if you like wvwvw for what it is and do not care about bags and be that guy that draws 5 people wacking at him and surviving it till you friends pick them on one by one this set could be for you.

in Guardian

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

They definitly should fix these forums. Only people who are able to do arah solo without armor/trinkets and only equiped with a white lvl 80 berserkerweapon.

Should have the persmission to write here.

Even if it would (probably, never tried solo naked, only in partys) cost my own account. It would be for a better Tyria!

(edited by Norjena.5172)

in Guardian

oxtred.7658

Why would the white weapon be berserker? Elitist.
I’d be able to post here though, so I don’t mind.

in Guardian

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

[FIXED] White weapon without thoughness, vitality or healing power[FIXED]
Berserker is exploit, sry i fixed it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Deus.3980

Deus.3980

I have a full set nomad with melandru times weapon set nave shield….And i have tried it in www Aldo with Warrior and it Serena mi work Hood i user fois ti reduce condition buttato seems with Aldo over 4k armor I ho dimenticato Easy…. Mm subentro di mm e connection problem buttato ad I had see all’ armor point spento
over 3k do not work well ad un cane immagine.Eisp me ingame and i can show u….Not tried in pve

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

I have a full set nomad with melandru times weapon set nave shield….And i have tried it in www Aldo with Warrior and it Serena mi work Hood i user fois ti reduce condition buttato seems with Aldo over 4k armor I ho dimenticato Easy…. Mm subentro di mm e connection problem buttato ad I had see all’ armor point spento
over 3k do not work well ad un cane immagine.Eisp me ingame and i can show u….Not tried in pve

Shouldn’t this be in the necro forum?

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

Posted by: Jarvis.9540

Jarvis.9540

Shouldn’t this be in the necro forum?

Thanks for fielding this grounder.

in Guardian

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

I was trying to get equipment for this, and i tested it with kitten nomad and other random stuff in (still need the full set).
But from I can tell:
1_PVE: In big fights like the jade constructs from bloodstone fen, you can tank the bosses, keep the sanctuary and shields up, heal up allies, all that doing 1k dps which might sound like garbage, but for every 2 or 3 serkers you keep alive they don’t need to waste time using the wp and traveling back and you have a higher overall dps on the squad.
2_WvW: Also tried it in here with the same build, aegis spaming, healing, barriers everwhere, cleansing stuff, being immortal, etc. The same logic might apply in terms of the squad dps.

Basically, a fully tanky healing build for me is most likely the correct utilization of utilities to keep entire groups alive and uninterrupted. But the bad thing about this is that probably no one will notice your effort.

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

There is an explanation why no one will notice that kind of effort: because it simply has no noticeable effect. Stuff that kills offensive players in PvE simply can’t be tanked and probably any other attribute with healing power does a better job for healing people.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley