wvw weapons and build ?

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ledddawe.8964

Ledddawe.8964

what is best weapon set for guardian to have in wvw zerg fights ? is there any good chance for mace be in ? u know healing on 3rd hit + regen on 2 protection on 3 and also u can use shield or focus or torch for condi clean or is it really betetr to use hammer/staff or gs/staff and what is best surviable + tag build

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_AH_Frontliner

Mace is better in sPvP. It don’t have as much reach as GS, Staff or Hammer so you will hit less ppl. It also only cleave on 3 ppl compare to 5 for GS, Staff or Hammer.

Staff is there for the utilities (line of warding, empower) and for the auto-attack that allow you to tag everything.

GS is all about damage. The leap is also a huge boost in surviability if you know how to use it.

Hammer is a middle ground. It have nice dmg, but also give you anti-mobility skills like rings and immobilize. And of course a blast.

You can use whatever you want in the end. But Mace, Torch, Shield and Focus are not the best choice in a zerg.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

mace on wvw probably a bunker mace guardian group with the mace heals on nearby allies??? turtling anyone?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

If you dont want to be the standard AH frontliner (i got bored with that really quick) and want something that can also work while roaming i use GS with Scepter/Focus. The scepter lets you hit from range and then you can pick and choose your target to leap into with the GS. Plus if you need to heal you can dodge out and still keep pressure with scepter. Scepter is great when roaming and fighting classes that like to kite you.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

“Bunker” is an archetype build for multiple classes in sPvP and doesn’t belong anywhere in WvW.

The current WvW meta puts Necromancers at the top of the damage dealing. The job of the frontline is to immobilize the enemy so they are rooted in necro wells. The greatsword might have superior damage however the hammer has superior crowd control with a short cooldown blast finisher.

You need the immobilize to keep the enemy locked down and the blast finisher for healing. A majority of healing comes from using a blast finisher inside a water combo field.

Jade Quarry since Beta

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Mace can’t really frontline as it doesn’t have the CC or mobility to keep up and the autoattack chain is like only slightly faster than hammer! It’s more useful to go in for surprise damage with protector’s strike, most likely so usually I’d attempt something like this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNApdWlsApWoNDxVI8DNBDBlVLwODJ/DXHhDEAA-TFTBABBt/ggaCMTJ4VKzi4BAUp6Klp0AP9ALcIAwUlCNOCAAcCAIDwyWA-w

Focus is used mostly for the occasional ray of light and shield of wrath won’t protect you from much but the blast finisher and sudden damage is fine. You can also elect to use torch and troll people by tapping 4 twice, tossing a zealot’s flame at them.

It is also possible to use communal defenses/shattered aegis for some fun with mace, but that is largely a gimmick and you need coordination with others so in these cases you wouldn’t run mace to begin with.

But this is why Greatswords and hammers are considered standard, as pulls, immobolizes, blast finishers, easy protection or leaps change the tide of the battle often while mace has really none of those things

This is what I use personally, can’t really say it’s the best because it is a bit more selfish than most builds, but it is mostly survivable and does damage and stuff (and tags, but what guardian build doesn’t?):
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJARWlsApWoNDxVI8DNRCBl1Mw+DPPEXHgLcAA-TFSBABBt/gZKBvS5Xlq/gnugFOEAacFAA4BAEAAB4m3MbezAHd5Gd5G9o1mH9mH9mlBYZLA-w

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

mace on wvw probably a bunker mace guardian group with the mace heals on nearby allies??? turtling anyone?

Might help increase your survivability in small WvW roaming groups but generally the damage you take will outpace the healing the mace provides.

Overall the mace is best used in PvP for bunkering & PvE pug runs to keep people alive..

Generally speaking in terms of WvW I’d say the best options would be

1: Greatsword (the cleave is great, retaliation helps allot & the leap can help)

2: Staff (Again the cleave Albeit is has extremely low damage but generally just enough to tag stuff. It also has might & AOE heals.
Last but not least it also has swiftness. While standing still in the symbol for 4+ seconds kind of negates the purpose of swiftness it can be placed ahead of you on the run & be placed in choke points for low consistent AOE damage.

So the staff definitely has its problems but is still good.

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

“Bunker” is an archetype build for multiple classes in sPvP and doesn’t belong anywhere in WvW.

The current WvW meta puts Necromancers at the top of the damage dealing. The job of the frontline is to immobilize the enemy so they are rooted in necro wells. The greatsword might have superior damage however the hammer has superior crowd control with a short cooldown blast finisher.

You need the immobilize to keep the enemy locked down and the blast finisher for healing. A majority of healing comes from using a blast finisher inside a water combo field.

While necromancers are quite nice I’d have to disagree with them being the best at AOE.

I’ve seen some insane damage pumped out by elementalists using the scepter or staff & they provide allot more support at the same time. Also as a plus they are extremely hard to catch let alone kill.

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

ArchonWing.9480

Necros are great at single target damage, but they do not have necessarily the best aoe dps. It’s shocking but true— necros’s ranged weapons are very limited!

I mean, their staff autos are about on par to guardian staff autos, axe only hits one target and the auto is bad. scepter is a condi weapon, and dagger actually does damage but it’s melee and was only recently upgraded to hit 2 targets from 1. While you could do a lot of damage with dagger and using warhorn 5 to run through a crowd, it’s not for the faint of heart. They can make up with it with their Death Shroud’s Life blast— a finally decent ranged attack, but drumroll is also single target unless you trait for it in which case it takes up spots for some other very valuable traits.

What necros have are corrupts and unblockable burst damage via wells. Those have long cooldowns but can do quite a number on suspecting foes. Staff marks are also reliable AOE and can also be made unblockable. In addition, necros have death shroud and lich form that can also result in damage bursts. There’s also tricks such as Spectral Wall that can cripple zergs that no other class can really perform.

It’s sort of apples and oranges. Either eles or necros are important to a good group; just like how you really can’t say guardians or warriors are more vital to a zerg.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

This is a Guardian and not a Necromancer topic so I will leave how to get 6k Well of Suffering ticks for another time. However, it does require that Guardians use their HAMMERS to IMMOBILIZE the enemy inside your wells.

The OP asked about guardian WvW build for zerg fights.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_AH_Frontliner has a good build for zerg fights.

GS over hammer if you don’t have an ele calling out their water fields or necro bombs. If this is the case, you might want to find a better group to play with.

Hammer over GS if you have water fields to blast and necro bombs to immobilize the enemy in.

Jade Quarry since Beta

wvw weapons and build ?

in Guardian

ArchonWing.9480

Well, you certainly want to know how your allies’s skills work and why it’s a good idea to drag people in? At least Ragnar up there wants to. Sure, I would agree that it doesn’t matter, but it’s good to learn more.

Anyhow, the hammer is better in utility as nobody would argue, but sometimes damage from the greatsword also helps and in bigger fights the GS pulls a lot ahead as the hammer presents the disadvantage of the light field and I think you’re underselling the mobility a bit as you don’t want to be behind your warrior buddies who are far better than you at pinning down people. The GS also pulls people into a localized spot which makes it perfect for AOEs, and I think they’re merely separate roles—some guardians can run GS and others running hammer seems more effective anyways— with pulls and others immobilizing.