www Off-hand: Focus or Shield?

in Guardian

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

For small group www fights, which one is the better? Focus or shield?

Or does it depend on the main hand (Mace / Scepter)?

I like the group protection from shield (specially when traited) and the knockback. (Also it looks awesome!)

But focus can give blind on up to 4 foes every 25 sec and 3 blocks.

Are there any traits for focus?

cheers

in Guardian

Posted by: Kamikazi.5380

Kamikazi.5380

Shield.

Focus is nice for small scale battles like in sPvP, but in WvW there are too many targets to benefit from focus #4, and focus #5 will be gone in a fraction of a second. The extra protection and projectile absorbing bubble from shield is much more beneficial.

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

On top of everythign Kamikazi mentioned, the knockback from the bubble is incredibly useful for interrupting stomps and revivals.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Fully traited: shield. Otherwise, focus.

Depending on what kind of havoc squads you’re running, I might lean more towards focus, as I prefer shield for larger engagements(feels like a waste at times with only a few people).

in Guardian

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

let me add a something nobody here has mentioned: fun.
focus is better for small scale, shield for large, but nothing is funnier then knocking people off a cliff which is why i always use shield in wvw

in Guardian

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

let me add a something nobody here has mentioned: fun.
focus is better for small scale, shield for large, but nothing is funnier then knocking people off a cliff which is why i always use shield in wvw

^ This for great justice.

And all joking aside, I prefer shield offhand with mace mainhand – primary weapon set in dungeons, secondary to staff in WvW – just generally has a lot of upside for melee support.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

in Guardian

Posted by: TallDan.6350

TallDan.6350

I play a small group and solo roaming guardian and I use scepter focus, the main benefit to the focus block is that you can move while using it.

It is also very useful when fighting burst classes like thief or warrior, I always start the fight with scepter focus, the blocks stuns and aoe are really good at disrupting their initial combos and then switch to GS for the dps, also the focus block is very useful for using your heal to mitigate interrupts.

The downside to the shield for me is that it only blocks ranged attacks, very easy to gap close through it.

The knockback on the shield however is epic, and as a knockback tool it is very good or as a counter to a Ranger barrage. I just feel especially for small group and solo play the focus block is more useful, especially as you can attack while using it.

Lady suzi ~ Human Guardian {} Gizmo Gregory ~ Asura Engineer
Firezof Arrows ~ Sylvari Ranger {} Hudeeni ~ Norn Mesmer
Ruins of Surmia [KoA]