10.000 hour rule, how far are you?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rentlle.1370

Rentlle.1370

General beliefs say you need 10.000 hours to become an expert in what you are doing.
It’s rather hard to controle in general life, but with gaming it’s really easy.
I wonder if some ppl are around 10.000 hours, sinds that’s an insane amount of gaming :p

so lets do the test!

How many hours did you play on your main?
Would you call yourself an expert in that field?

I start

728 hours on mesmer,
I don’t feel an expert at all, but i’m okay

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

If you are over 10,000 hours on Mesmer alone, that’s some serious playing time.

Granted, I took almost a year off (various games, ESO and Archeage between) and has mained Necro the last 6 months, But I still only have 1459 hours as Mesmer out of a total 3173 hours. I can barely play the kitten class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

4230 hours on mes….well i think its less as i sometime faceplanted in wvw….so i guess around 3500 hours XD

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

I’m on 7065 hours right on my mesmer. But I’m quite sure about 3k hours are “afk” hours.
Even though I know the class well i don’t think i’m that great of a mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

Just reached 4.5k hours on my mes I think. I am still the worst mesmer world

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

That 10000h would amount to well over a year of doing nothing but playing the game 24/7. So I’m not sure I’d want to admit to that even if it were true, because that would mean that I spent 1/3rd of my life these last 3 years playing GW2. ;-)

Just a bit over 1k in almost exactly as many days played. So I average about an hour a day. I feel semi-competent until I run into one of those competent ones, then I feel pretty scrubby. ;-)

(edited by Windwalker.7421)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

That 10000h would amount to well over a year of doing nothing but playing the game 24/7. So I’m not sure I’d want to admit to that even if it were true, because that would mean that I spent 1/3rd of my life these last 3 years playing GW2. ;-)

Just a bit over 1k in almost exactly as many days played. So I average about an hour a day. I feel semi-competent until I run into one of those competent ones, then I feel pretty scrubby. ;-)

Heh, agreed – that’s a crazy amount of hours to fit in 3 years – I’d be embarrassed to admit something like that. xD

In any case I don’t think you need 10000 hours to be “master” GW2 – it’s nowhere near anything like mastering a musical instrument, sport or similar activity where the skill ceiling is effectively infinite.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Keep in mind the 10,000 hour rule assumes that you’re doing the task (job, idea, etc) correctly or striving to. Even if it’s a natural progression of getting better, that counts.

However, it is possible to do a task for 10,000 or more hours and still be bad (or worse than the mean) at the task.

A good example of something that you will become great at is reading. If you read for 10,000 hours, by the end you should be able to read competently and not have to say the words out loud (and there are a lot more people that do this than most people think. Plenty of people have to read it at least with their mouths and others have to say the words out loud).

An example of the reverse is using a computer. In the current day and age (of first world countries), people tend to use computers every day (that includes phones). However, many people are not masters, experts, or even great at doing so. People use browsers but don’t necessarily know how to USE browsers (browser shortcuts, hotkeys, bookmarks, tweaks, edits, and more). Of course, you could then argue that “well, they only USE tumblr and they’re decently good at it”, which may be true (no offense tumblrians), but I doubt the majority of people who have used tumblr have looked at pictures and text posts for 10,000 hours (and if they have, they better kitten well be good at it, or I don’t know what they expect out of life).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Just reached 4.5k hours on my mes I think. I am still the worst mesmer world

I hate you. You pvp Achilles.

edit: 2510 hours btw

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

2 hours on Mesmer.

Stealth – burst – stealth – burst – distort

I beat classes who’s mained others for 700+ hours. They really lowered the Mesmer skill bar.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

2 hours on Mesmer.

Stealth – burst – stealth – burst – distort

I beat classes who’s mained others for 700+ hours. They really lowered the Mesmer skill bar.

this is not the topic nor is this a constructive comment. if u wanna qq about mesmers being op, go to the wahhhh wahhh mooommmy i died to op mes thread and cry there.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

3,758 hours on mes.
No afk’ing – never been into LA role playing
One map complete
Two fractal backpieces
The rest pretty much boils down to WvW roaming and PvP.

That about sums it up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tealots.6095

Tealots.6095

848 hours. Apparently, I suck.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

3,758 hours on mes.
No afk’ing – never been into LA role playing
One map complete
Two fractal backpieces
The rest pretty much boils down to WvW roaming and PvP.

That about sums it up.

Oh good point, I failed to mention that my paltry 1100ish is absolutely 100% PvP time. I literally don’t do PvE at all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: patemma.3674

patemma.3674

I’ve played 9 hours on Mesmer…so the math says…CRAP!

There is nothing better than good beer and nothing worse than bad beer…

in Mesmer

Posted by: MeanCoffeeBean.2073

MeanCoffeeBean.2073

3878 hours across my three mesmers, mostly on the Asura

I still suck at the game, but godkitten it do I look good doing it. Butterflies everywhere!

Fluttershy – Mesmer
Clarishy – Ranger
Tinkershy – Engineer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

I’d say around 4k to 5k hours spread on my mesmers. Still learning something every day, especially when I notice all my gameplay errors in my recordings.