1000 hours and never touched a focus record?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

ok guys my names Kenage a few days ago I decided to run a focus for the mesmer. I have clocked in 1000+ hours on this charater and I finally touched the focus. and I was wondering if anyone has beat me in that record if one exists lol.

and I got to say I’m glad I learned how to use it lol.

Attachments:

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

ok guys my names Kenage a few days ago I decided to run a focus for the mesmer. I have clocked in 1000+ hours on this charater and I finally touched the focus. and I was wondering if anyone has beat me in that record if one exists lol.

Congratulation’s, you went 1000 hours while completely ignoring a major gameplay mechanic of the mesmer that is one of the most useful party, pve, and pvp utility weapons in the game.

Do you want a medal?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bombul.2506

Bombul.2506

Wow, never used focus or torch….i am soo confused by you.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

Sword/Focus is my go-to setup. Very useful in WvW. Pull everyone in with Temporal Curtain, pop a Feedback Bubble and iLeap (which only works half the time), Swap and Blurred Frenzy. (While in Blurred Frenzy, you can use insta-casts, so pop off a Mirrored Images + shatters and people go crazy.) Blink away from the hornets nest you just stirred up. Everything’s on cooldowns at this point, but it’s great for pushing a line.

The focus makes this so much better. It gets a group of enemies together so all the other skills will splash them (assuming they don’t just dodge away), and it interrupts so they won’t be swinging as you’re charging.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: AndresR.4532

AndresR.4532

wow u had played 1000 hours without fun

in Mesmer

Posted by: Josh P.1296

Josh P.1296

Lol what a legend.

Illucéption – Mesmer
Diamond Story – Elementalist
[TSym] Tac Sym

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

I feel very sorry for you, the focus got the most utility of any other off hand weapon.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

well the focus for me was a nightmare in the beta. wich is why i turned away from it but also i never got any focus other than blues and greens that wernt worth keeping. i already had a lvl80 rare great sword and a honor of humanity sword with a rare lvl80 pistol and thats what i mostly ran until Araha came up and the guild mates need a good mesmer. even my closest frind in RL saw that i never used a focus and he was like i think you broke the record for the longest time not using a weapon on a character lol.

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

…and the guild mates need a good mesmer

Says the guy that brags about not using focus for 1000 hours. Don’t make me laugh.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

You missed great deal of utility, and honestly I don’t think anet will be giving “legendary focus avoidance” achievement for that feat.

in Mesmer

Posted by: crusnx.3725

crusnx.3725

so you are waiting for a weapon drop for you to start using it?
and rare weapons aren’t good in any scenario except lvling…

in Mesmer

Posted by: damny.9342

damny.9342

Don’t make me laugh.

Why not, anyway? Laughing is good… :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I can’t give the OP too much crap. I spent a good chunk of time in Focus-Denial. But …
I eventually realized that the only crap thing about that weapon is that its Swiftness doesn’t stack. Past that annoyance – please fix that, Devs – it’s 100% Bad Mofo.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

This is like being proud of eating with only one chopstick for years, until you realise you could have used two and been way more efficient…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zeoli.3402

Zeoli.3402

Use or non-use of the Focus doesn’t determine a good Mesmer. Being valuable to your team does. I run GS + Staff in a shatter/condition build which I have made and use to great success. I buff others with might, fury, swiftness, debuff the target and also has a minimum of 10 stacks of bleeds. I also tend to focus more on indirect damage (4k confusion, retaliation, daze, feedback, ect) and therefore do not get upset when I don’t see less numbers. I just punish and deny damage to my party.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

The focus is a joke in any 1v1 to 1v3. You’ll be killed using it. The only use it has is for quick equips for the speed and pulling people off walls. You’re silly if you think otherwise.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nijjion.2069

Nijjion.2069

How could you run around without any speed?

in Mesmer

Tricare.2946

At the end of this video is what I do out of combat. The speed has a long CD anyways so I switch back after dropping the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=-VizYSSRk_o

in Mesmer

Posted by: Knox.8462

Knox.8462

Focus has so much utility, I can’t imagine it leaving my bar. Swiftness/Cripple, AoE Pull, AoE damage, Light Field + whirl finisher and traited for reflection just to top it off. There’s just so much you can do with it.

in Mesmer

Tricare.2946

GS has aoe damage with cripple and a knock back. With the pistol equipped you have a 2 second daze that bounces which is better for small fights. The iWarden is easy to avoid, take 2 steps away from it. The only thing focus gives is swiftness, that’s it. You can better utilities with anything else.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

You do realize, folks give the same sort of flack to Torch? And Torch is reasonably solid, the Mage just needs to be a bit faster.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

The focus is a joke in any 1v1 to 1v3. You’ll be killed using it. The only use it has is for quick equips for the speed and pulling people off walls. You’re silly if you think otherwise.

chuckle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWl92k63C9k

doublechuckle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T--u3A25GI

How about 1v5s and 1v6s?

(edited by Pyroatheist.9031)

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Use or non-use of the Focus doesn’t determine a good Mesmer. Being valuable to your team does. I run GS + Staff in a shatter/condition build which I have made and use to great success. I buff others with might, fury, swiftness, debuff the target and also has a minimum of 10 stacks of bleeds. I also tend to focus more on indirect damage (4k confusion, retaliation, daze, feedback, ect) and therefore do not get upset when I don’t see less numbers. I just punish and deny damage to my party.

Use of the focus doesn’t determine a good mesmer, but someone who denies the massive utility of that weapon for 1000 hours can not have understood the class properly.

in Mesmer

Knox.8462

GS has aoe damage with cripple and a knock back. With the pistol equipped you have a 2 second daze that bounces which is better for small fights. The iWarden is easy to avoid, take 2 steps away from it. The only thing focus gives is swiftness, that’s it. You can better utilities with anything else.

Sorry, but I can’t take you seriously if you genuinely think focus is only useful for swiftness.

in Mesmer

Tricare.2946

chuckle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWl92k63C9k

doublechuckle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T--u3A25GI

Watched the first video, wasn’t impressed. I saw the iWarden attacking a griffon while its original target was on the caster killing him. The ‘1v5’ looked like he was fighting first time wvw players, and again the warden didn’t help out in the least. The pull was the only thing that was….. ‘useful’, most of the time he pulled people towards him as much as away and never gained swiftness from it.

in Mesmer

Tricare.2946

Knox.8462

The iWarden would die in a zerg before it gets all of it’s dps out. The pull will yank a few people and then be on a long CD. I’d rather use the torch than the focus, at least I’d have another stealth that does aoe burn and is a combo blast finisher. The phantasm from torch (I don’t can’t remember what it’s called) will at least chase down it’s target and make an attempt to hit.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Knox.8462

The iWarden would die in a zerg before it gets all of it’s dps out. The pull will yank a few people and then be on a long CD. I’d rather use the torch than the focus, at least I’d have another stealth that does aoe burn and is a combo blast finisher. The phantasm from torch (I don’t can’t remember what it’s called) will at least chase down it’s target and make an attempt to hit.

I could go into a long explanation about how important the focus is in my build and playstyle, and the massive amount of utility and mobility and fight presence it gives me, but I’m sick and I’m tired and it would be lost on you. Instead I’m just going to sit back, point my finger, and laugh with everyone else that realizes how much you’re missing.

in Mesmer

Knox.8462

- All depends on your phantasm placement
- pbaoe burn is useless in a zerg situation
- Torch phantasm is laughable unless specced for confusion.
- My focus reflects projectiles, which is extremely useful against zergs.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

- All depends on your phantasm placement
- pbaoe burn is useless in a zerg situation
- Torch phantasm is laughable unless specced for confusion.
- My focus reflects projectiles, which is extremely useful against zergs.

Torch phant is laughable even if specced for confusion.

The prestige can still be nice though, it’s an on-demand stealth. I still wouldn’t use the torch, but I won’t deny the utility of the prestige.

in Mesmer

Tricare.2946

Knox.8462

I could go into a long explanation about how important the focus is in my build and playstyle, and the massive amount of utility and mobility and fight presence it gives me, but I’m sick and I’m tired and it would be lost on you. Instead I’m just going to sit back, point my finger, and laugh with everyone else that realizes how much you’re missing.

Meh just having a discussion here, no need to go saying “things would be lost on me” and my “wasn’t impressed” was talking about the focus use in your videos. I just felt that a pistol or GS would have worked better.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Knox.8462

Meh just having a discussion here, no need to go saying “things would be lost on me” and my “wasn’t impressed” was talking about the focus use in your videos. I just felt that a pistol or GS would have worked better.

sigh go here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-The-Immortal-Mesmer-Build/first

Read it. You’ll quickly see how the focus is used properly.

Edit: Just looked through the first video to make sure. I received swiftness from the focus at 3:44, 4:09, 4:32, and 6:02.

Not only does the temporal curtain give me swiftness, it also reflects projectiles, cripples them, and pulls them around, which is disorientating and can severely kitten pursuit.

(edited by Pyroatheist.9031)

in Mesmer

Tricare.2946

See that wasn’t so tough, gave me something to read in class. You wouldn’t happen to be on DB? I’d like to see how fair against your build.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

See that wasn’t so tough, gave me something to read in class. You wouldn’t happen to be on DB? I’d like to see how fair against your build.

I am in fact on dragonbrand.

in Mesmer

Tricare.2946

Ahh we’ll I’m on mag, we should set up some duels sometime if you’d like.

in Mesmer

Posted by: thisisu.7504

thisisu.7504

I was wondering if anyone has beat me in that record if one exists lol.

:\

Thisisu – Mesmer – FotM 51
Thisisudax – Guardian – FotM 49
Fractal Videos: http://www.youtube.com/thisisudax

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

The focus is a weird thing.
Early on you will discard it cause you don’t see the point of a static aoe mesmer that gets one shotted easily. And what good is a pull skill, it does no damage and your damage is already crap.
Later on when you tried out all your other off hands for quite a long time, you might end up with trying the focus again. And never letting it go cause it gives you so much utility in 2 skills.
I always find new tricks in how to use my focus in a certain situation

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

(edited by Ironvos.9014)

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Focus has the highest damaging phantasm (only downside is he doesnt move). This just requires a little bit more planning and timing. And traited in dungeons. Who needs the 20 in dueling? Ever have harpies kill themselves in the uncategorized? Or how bow facing a p/d thief or a p/d thief and a ranger or two? They seriously kill themselves… Focus is great.

Edit: Meant 20 in domination LOLOL. My bad there.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

(edited by jportell.2197)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

That is plain stupid… Not only its your ONLY swiftness but also awesome at pulling people off keeps in wvw. Focus is a pretty bad offhand but since its your only option for swiftness you have to use it.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Obviously the main purpose of Into the Void in super-small-scale is to pull the targets under your Warden, and then you iLeap and immobilize them with a Blurred Frenzy and MW on top.

The pull direction and distance of ITV is highly predictable. I feel like this is a repeat conversation of 3 months ago.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mister Mustard.7203

Mister Mustard.7203

That is crazy; the first thing I do on any character is try out all the weapons to figure out what I like the most.

I’m curious, do you eat the same thing every day as well?

in Mesmer

Posted by: pinkbunnies.4620

pinkbunnies.4620

The only use it has is for quick equips for the speed and pulling people off walls. You’re silly if you think otherwise.

this guy knows^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Seriously iwarden is highly damaging in pve and in pvp it is good for dealing with ranged classes and making them fight on your terms… Not to mention the light combo field of temp curtain… Too good to ignore and is the focal point of some bunker builds. :P

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qwyksylver Vyqtunos.6312

Qwyksylver Vyqtunos.6312

Honestly I don’t understand all the bashing for not using a focus, I recognize the utility and usefulness of focus but would rather have a sw/sw most of the time

Raagar Deathclaw-Necromancer | Korgin Shadowmind-Mesmer

Circle of Legends [BOLD]