5 pts: 50 pwr or Phantasms have retaliation?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shtos Vant.4182

Shtos Vant.4182

Hello,
Non-shatterer (for shame!) here, with 20/0/25/0/20 GS/Staff, doing PvE and Dungeons.
(Dom=Emp. Illusions, GS Training; Chaos= -3% dmg, Staff Training; Illusions=+3% Dmg, Ill. elasticity)
I’ve got 5 more points-

Do I take Inspiration : Vengeful Images: Phantasms have retaliation, or pickup the extra 50 power in Domination (and Wastrels Punishment, which would be useless to me)

What are the Phantasm w/ Retal mechanics?

Thanks for any insight.

Having fun on Kaineng [SKY]

(edited by Shtos Vant.4182)

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

Reta is a buff, and it does damage to the enemy every time they attack the player/summon that have reta on them.

Now if you get it and then keep reta on yourself to(which is easy) Then with a phant def you can get 2x the normal damage every time you are hit. You can get up to 5x, if done right. Which in Pvp, I did over 20k damage to a warrior in about 5 secs, with nothing but reta.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zugly.9035

zugly.9035

well how often a mesmer gets hit in PVE/dungeons ?
as EsLafiel said at the end … retalation will be more important for mesmer in PVP

in Mesmer

EsLafiel.4517

well how often a mesmer gets hit in PVE/dungeons ?
as EsLafiel said at the end … retalation will be more important for mesmer in PVP

Depends, I am a bunker in dgns. I control the mobs and keep them off everyone else. The same with boss’s I can fight boss’s(most of them) and none of my team mates every get hit.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zugly.9035

zugly.9035

a bunker mesmer is a low damage mesmer … and if u have any guardian/warrior in party.
I think they will get all the agro on them.

And I am interested to know how can you control the mobs ? r u using focus a offhand ?

in Mesmer

Shtos Vant.4182

Vengeful Images : Grants Retaliation to Phantasms.
Does that mean when a boss/computer enemy attacks one of my phantasms, it takes retaliation damage? And is that the same damage I would give out:
198.45 + (0.075 * Power)? (From GW2 Wiki)
In PvE/Dungeons, my phantasms get attacked all the time, so I’m wondering if that would generate more damage than a straight +50 power.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

a bunker mesmer is a low damage mesmer … and if u have any guardian/warrior in party.

And I am interested to know how can you control the mobs ? r u using focus a offhand ?

Who has aggro isn’t all about who is doing most damage in this game, I don’t know the whole mechanic but I’m told the person with the highest toughness will usually pull aggro and I’ve seen this demonstrated many times where there was no other reason for a boss to go after the person they were lol

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

For this build, I’d put the 5 points into dueling, for vigor on crits.

Retaliation in phantasms is nice, but it’s not really necessary in pve. Wastrels punishment is probably the worst trait in the entire game, and you should never ever go just 25 points into domination for that reason.

in Mesmer

EsLafiel.4517

I got about 2k tough, so mobs usually focus on me. Also yes I use a focus on offhand.

Also on boss’s I usually stick my team back for the first 30 secs, that’s long enough to get him focus on me. So he Ignores the team completely.

Also I dont ever got a problem with holding mobs on me, when a warrior in party.

Only a pure out bunker guardian, can take mobs off me.

Also I use reta as a small bonus to damage, the same way using gaurdian runes, because I can get 10 sec+ of burn on people, every 20 secs.

So those are just to add to my damage a bit. While in PvE Since everything else is focus on bunker, those 2 things keep my damage not completely horrible as a bunker.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fallen.2158

Fallen.2158

Mobs do focus those with heavy armor, all games are designed with this setup in mind. You CAN take aggro from those characters with Superior DPS but it is difficult, but yes they tend to go for the high armors first. Heavy armor to enemies is like cake to a fat kid they just go for it. So running a toughness setup will get you focused if thats what you want. However because you are having mobs focus you, retaliation on your phantasm’s is not going to be as efficent imo.

in Mesmer

Shtos Vant.4182

@Pyroatheist- Thank you for your response. The vigor makes sense. I’ve been playing this build, but thanks to my time playing your Immortal build, I am having a really hard time giving up the sword/focus.
So this will all likely be moot as I head back to a power based build, just swapping GS/Staff depending on Ranged/Melee.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

@Pyroatheist- Thank you for your response. The vigor makes sense. I’ve been playing this build, but thanks to my time playing your Immortal build, I am having a really hard time giving up the sword/focus.
So this will all likely be moot as I head back to a power based build, just swapping GS/Staff depending on Ranged/Melee.

I’m thinking you should have a look at my pve phantasm build, as it is somewhat similar to this, though more focused on defense than offense. You might be able to make a nice variant.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-PvE-Supporting-Phantasm-Build

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

In dungeons Phantasms get oneshot all the time, so Retaliation does almost nothing, whereas 5 more points in Domination give you and your Phantasms more Power. The added condition duration might help as well.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Retaliation on Phantasm is near useless. If you are Power based you will get 300-ish damage when someone hits your phantasm, but since it is so fragile it will only do so once. On the other hand 50 power will be there with every single hit you do, auto-attacks included.

in Mesmer

EsLafiel.4517

Mobs do focus those with heavy armor, all games are designed with this setup in mind. You CAN take aggro from those characters with Superior DPS but it is difficult, but yes they tend to go for the high armors first. Heavy armor to enemies is like cake to a fat kid they just go for it. So running a toughness setup will get you focused if thats what you want. However because you are having mobs focus you, retaliation on your phantasm’s is not going to be as efficent imo.

I stand right ontop of My Warden,,,, and most mobs melee is a small aoe, second my defender auto takes damage when I and my warden is hit. So thats 4x norrmal reta their.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Not sure why you havent invested points in dueling, for a 20/30/0/0/20 spec. This would help you out greatly in dungeons where you face phantasm smashing mobs. It would let you shatter for great damage when you cant safely use phantasms.

It would give you alot more crit and crit damage for a power based spec, your phantasms would crit 30% harder and have fury aswell. And you wont need toughness as a mesmer in dungeons unless you go a for a really tanky role.

But it all depends on what gear you use.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.