A wild Non-Mirage post appears...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Imperadordf.2687

Imperadordf.2687

So, I’ve been playing this game for a month now, and bought the game 4 days ago. I liked Mesmer and Thief, but I don’t know much about Mesmer because the class is very new to me.

I tried Sword/Sword, Scepter/Torch, Scepter/Pistol, and Greatsword. I’m asking that is there a build/traitline that will allow me to play relaxed and supportive.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I tried Sword/Sword, Scepter/Torch, Scepter/Pistol, and Greatsword. I’m asking that is there a build/traitline that will allow me to play relaxed and supportive.

On mesmer or thief? No.

Neither thief nor mesmer are designed to just “relax” since both classes rely heavily on their abilities and dodges to avoid damage. Thief does so more via dodge and evades, mesmer via blocks and invuls.

If it’s only open world you are worried about then:

- you can x+pistol/shortbow thief. Pistol 5 for an aoe blind field which will take care of most core Tyria enemies and you can tank+spank. Shortbow for the high movement with 5.

- on mesmer you can sw+f/gs. Focus 4 to pull enemys together and then burst down with sword 2+mind wrack. Greatsword for ranged tagging. You will run into downtimes due to phantasm recharges

Both of those approaches will get you through core tyria without problems. HoT and Living World Season 3 you will run into issues though (or against Dredge as thief).

in Mesmer

Imperadordf.2687

I was asking about Mesmer but thanks. By relax I meant staying in the backline while my phantasms and clones do the damage and in the backline I give boons to my allies and do ranged damage to my enemies.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Mesmer

Cyninja.2954

I was asking about Mesmer but thanks. By relax I meant staying in the backline while my phantasms and clones do the damage and in the backline I give boons to my allies and do ranged damage to my enemies.

Doesn’t work. Boonshare/support mesmer is front or midline. Your main support comes from sharing boons with https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet_of_Inspiration.

You can hang back with mesmer at long range and have phantasms do damage, it will not be efficient though and your team support will be nonexistant mostly.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I find support chrono in raids to be very relaxed. As a support chrono, I never have to go up to cannons on sabetha, or worry about eating on sloth, or worry about killing mortars on trio, or the chess pieces on overseerer. Just have to do my rotation and chill out. And support chrono is the best support in the game since it’s essentially a bard. A buff spec where all you do is maintain boons on the whole party.

I just want to add that as a support chrono, no one really cares about your dps unless you’re doing a speed clear and/or trying to set a record. So you can go full minstrel, or half minstrel if you want. You will be able to ignore mechanics if you feel like it cause they won’t be able to one shot you. Like matthias hadouken will never get you below half health if you don’t feel like dodging, or if you don’t feel like gettingin Cairn’s green circles, that won’t kill you either. Can just chill out and just maintain your rotation. If the bare minimum is your goal and just relaxing, i think support chrono is a good way to go.

(edited by Hot Boy.7138)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Boonshare ranged passive doesn’t exist. You can give boons to your allies, but that’s melee, assuming your allies don’t move. You can ranged dps and that IS super passive (see: Condi Mes ) but it’s a selfish build.

In that video, he stays melee because melee is where you want to be to gain boons. Alternatively you can run the power mes build but that’s melee with no ranged at all.

If you’re talking wvw or pvp it’s not really passive at all (unless you zerg in wvw in which case greatsword + afk1 + follow dorito).

in Mesmer

Imperadordf.2687

I find support chrono in raids to be very relaxed. As a support chrono, I never have to go up to cannons on sabetha, or worry about eating on sloth, or worry about killing mortars on trio, or the chess pieces on overseerer. Just have to do my rotation and chill out. And support chrono is the best support in the game since it’s essentially a bard. A buff spec where all you do is maintain boons on the whole party.

I just want to add that as a support chrono, no one really cares about your dps unless you’re doing a speed clear and/or trying to set a record. So you can go full minstrel, or half minstrel if you want. You will be able to ignore mechanics if you feel like it cause they won’t be able to one shot you. Like matthias hadouken will never get you below half health if you don’t feel like dodging, or if you don’t feel like gettingin Cairn’s green circles, that won’t kill you either. Can just chill out and just maintain your rotation. If the bare minimum is your goal and just relaxing, i think support chrono is a good way to go.

That is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Mesmer

Cyninja.2954

That is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Support chrono is definately not ranged. It’s frontline.

It’s also by far not “easy” (check quantifies chrono build if need be: https://qtfy.eu/guildwars/mesmer/power-chrono/) and especially not easy when played to full extent. Granted that BGDM is not available any longer and raid leaders won’t be able to check your boon uptime on party members (preventing them from kicking you if you bring subpar performance) quite as easily.

With your current knowledge and understanding of the class you are far off from joining raids and I would absolutely not recommend for you to start building minstrel yet. Reasons being:

- there is a shifting meta happening with PoF
- Minstrel is useless outside of raids and actually makes open world play more tedious

While Hot Boys assessment is not off, he completely failes to realise who he is giving advice to, in your case a new player to the game with little understanding of mechanics, builds, metas and most of all gear and ressources. The perfect mixture to turn someone off the game by making them jump 10 steps.

in Mesmer

Imperadordf.2687

Oh, I knew chrono was front-midline but I think you’re right. If you have free-time, can you teach me a little about these? I’ve never played an RPG game this serious, so terms like meta, fractal or WvW are strange to me.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Mesmer

Cyninja.2954

I’m actually on vacation starting tomorrow so no GW2 for me for a while, after that you can hit me up ingame if you want (I play on EU though so if you are US it might be difficult timedifference wise). I will leave you with Kaiyanwan.8521 guide to mesmer though since I found it very entertaining and useful for new mesmers:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-The-Leveling-Open-World-Compendium-1/first#post5342268

Enjoy reading and following it.

If you want to take a look at how different classes play rotation wise in raids, go to quantifys website (qtfy.eu) and look at some rotation videos (mesmer is up there too). If you are german Lucky Noobs is a viable alternative (https://lucky-noobs.com/).

in Mesmer

Imperadordf.2687

You have my very thanks.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Boonshare ranged passive doesn’t exist. You can give boons to your allies, but that’s melee, assuming your allies don’t move. You can ranged dps and that IS super passive (see: Condi Mes ) but it’s a selfish build.

Condi Mes actually does not have to be that selfish like the one in the video you posted, who only uses the iDuelist and even hasn’t slotted SoI. This is just one build but not representative for Condi Mes. There are plenty possibilities to provide boons to allies, not only the signet but one has to build for it and to use the right weapons and utility skills.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The most relaxing supportive build a mesmer really has is minstrel chrono (aka memestrel). However it still requires a fair amount of practice to execute your quickness rotation, and the concentration sigil is mega expensive. Also is does no DPS.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Condi Mes actually does not have to be that selfish like the one in the video you posted, who only uses the iDuelist and even hasn’t slotted SoI. This is just one build but not representative for Condi Mes. There are plenty possibilities to provide boons to allies, not only the signet but one has to build for it and to use the right weapons and utility skills.

I mean, slotting SoI is redundant when you have a boonshare chrono. If you don’t have a boonshare chrono and you’re slotting SoI, you’re going to be providing… might, fury, and regen on top of 100% might, fury and regen uptimes, which is, again, redundant. Top that off with trying to stat up Concentration on top of your Viper’s (Pow,CDam,Pre,Exp) ideal stat setup, and you’re stretching yourself very thing.

The only way to improve your boonshare capabilities would be to run Bountiful Disillusionment (which I think condi mes runs anyways, because there’s not much better unless they run PU for that 1 quick boon) and utilizing it severely cuts into your dps because you have to be shattering off cooldown to apply the boons. You also would still want to run Concentration or your Vigor uptime is going to be low, which is the only unique “sustainable” boon (75% uptime with 100% boon duration and traited CoF) provided (Stab and Res are extremely low uptime, unless you bounce it around with multiple 100% bd SoI).

I mean, sure, you can always go back to the old CJ “Play how you want”, but that doesn’t mean it’s good.