Activate falling damage traits on Launch/KD?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering why these absolutely unused traits managed to survive this massive overhaul, so as I pondered this oddity I thought it would be neat to make these traits a little more useful.

In general PvP you almost never get falling damage, and if you do, chances are it’s not in order to proc this highly situational trait. What if KDs and Launches applied a small amount of falling damage, thereby activating these traits?

What do you think? I’m sure we’d make out “OK” in that deal, although some other classes probably have it even better. Still it’s sad to see this trait still there as 1 of only 3 options in a traitline, and it be so highly situational that basically it amounts to having only 2 traits to choose from for that line. QQ

in Mesmer

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Nothing wrong with that trait. Not every trait has to be useful in PvP and since you can change your traits pretty fast (outside of PvP) even highly situational traits might be useful.

F.e. last time I used the -fall damage trait, was when I run through the Silverwaste JP for the first time. Didn’t know back then, that it would not matter if I die since the skritts will come and rez you. Otherwise it would have been useful.

We don’t know what will await us in HoT. Maybe even the WvW Map is designed in a way, that the trait might be useful.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in Mesmer

Windwalker.7421

OK that is your opinion, but that doesn’t address the question whether it wouldn’t make sense to make it proc on KB or at least Launch? Would that make this trait OPd?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

wouldn’t make it sense to make it proc on KB or at least Launch? Would that make this trait OPd?

Would you use the trait for PvP Combat if it would proc Chaos Storm on knock back or launch (with an internal cool down)? I would not. The trait is still too specific, and only useful vs specific opponents, mostly engineer and hammer warrior.

And from a design perspective it would be too similar to Mirror of Anguish. Giving me an idea how to improve the fall damage trait… How about combining ‘Decent into Madness’ with ‘Mirror of Anguish’, that the trait would create a chaos storm not only when you are hit with falling damage, but also if ANY CC hits you? (internal cooldown remaining at 60 seconds)
→ More useful trait
→ more fun anti-cc trait?

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in Mesmer

Windwalker.7421

Great points and a good suggestion!

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

I was a little mystified about the fall damage trait and Medic’s Feedback both surviving the spec revamp, too. I know people used Descent into Madness for off-beat exploration builds, but is there really any room for that in our spec lines any more?

I’d be totally in favour of keeping DiM around if it could proc on knockdowns and launches, though. The conceptual overlap with Mirror of Anguish doesn’t bother me at all. Actually, one way to make both of those traits more palatable would be to merge them together and add a new Master trait to Chaos.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger