[Analysis] Berserker vs. Assassins

in Mesmer

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

15836 – 15053 = 783

Next we divide Y from X (Y/X)

783/15836 = 0.049444

15836 would make sense it it was our starting sample. It’s not. We want to know how much assassins is better than zerk, which makes zerk – 15053 – our starting point.

783/15053 = 0.052 > 5.2%

The only reason I’m arguing for my results is because I’m confident they’re correct.

Your result are correct, he is just trying to find a way to use math to tell hiself zerk is better.

Sadly math isnt agree with him.

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aither.2859

Aither.2859

You are correct, my math was off because I was using the larger number instead. After further calculation 15836/15052 = 1.052 when * by 100 = 105.2% the difference being 5.2%. I will conclude that you are correct in your math and that I just need more practice, it has been 3 years since my college algebra days so I am a bit rusty and thought the highest denominator was the main X and not the lowest.

It still doesn’t take away from my previous statement though that aside from CoE reflect I still don’t see much of a damage increase for assassins and in many cases zerkers does appear to be the better choice.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I have a question as I am not that good in math – should I wear the new ascended assassin trinkets? Basically is full assassin trinkets a better option than berserker trinkets + the rest assassins?

Basically I won’t get exotic assassin trinkets anyway, because I aim for full ascended gear, that’s why I’m curious now if I should use every ascended assassin trinket that appears in the game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

It’s a very fine line between the gear types so instead of splitting the hairs I chose to do the stupid, I’m crafting two full ascended sets – zerk and assassins. The plan is to carry them both in inventory and swap in-and-out depending on the situation at hand.

Solo/pug? All zerk. Organized speedrun? All assassins. Spotter? Half zerk, half assassins. Organized spotter? De-equip Blade Training and swap in zerk until I’m right at 100% crit.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I skimmed the math real quick … did you incorporate illusion bleeds from having 3+ in Dueling? I didn’t see it.

Higher crit chance => More illusion bleeds => More damage.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

I skimmed the math real quick … did you incorporate illusion bleeds from having 3+ in Dueling? I didn’t see it.

Yes, the DPS value includes all the variables. If you want to check how the numbers were obtained, feel free to dig around here:

in Mesmer

Posted by: kurtosis.9526

kurtosis.9526

Thanks for the theorycrafting, frifox. Too bad mesmer’s don’t have a good might stacking option, really enjoying that on my ele.

/bookmark.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Natebert.8432

Natebert.8432

Is this still valid

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

All the calculations refer to the pre-6/23 trait system.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

Did anyone do an update? Considering how the patch changed gear stats.

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

Not yet. Personally, I just wanted to actually spend enough time with the new trait system to learn all the nuances before applying any kind of theorycrafting to it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Luvok.5697

Luvok.5697

Came here to check if this was still relevant, so the consensus is…maybe?

in Mesmer

Posted by: AlphatheWhite.9351

AlphatheWhite.9351

I did some golem testing on a D/D thief right after the June 23 patch, and found that even with the new ferocity/crit traits in Critical Strikes, Berserker amulet Assassin amulet (and Scholar Runes still beat out Eagle runes).

And mesmers didn’t get nearly as many new crit toys.

So, I think it’ll take a lot to overturn the previous results. The only real advantage to Assassin is still probably reflects.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

I think the biggest chance for unseating Berzerker in sustained damage is actually Rampager. I seem to recall somebody doing non-definitive back-of-envelope numbers that put it pretty close to our Zerk DPS thanks to the condition reworks.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Still not a fan of the condi variants comparing DPS to zerker because reflects are boosted by ferocity. If there was a condition damage, precision, ferocity armor, I would be all over that.