Arcane Thievery

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Loco.4561

Loco.4561

In a bid to get some sort of condition removal in my build, I’ve started using Arcane Thievery. Now, I am not sure if I misunderstand the skill, but assuming I have NO conditions on me, can I use it to steal 3 of my target’s boons? Or will it fail with no conditions on myself?

I get the general feeling it’s buggy, sometimes I use it with conditions on myself and nothing happens, I still have conditions and the target still has boons, so either it is an iffy utility or as I’ve stated above, I’m using it wrong.

Mashup Bootleg ~ WvW Mesmer
Cyrus Glitch – sPvP/tPvP Mesmer
Doctor Loki – sPvP/tPvP/WvW Power Necro

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: arcalimo.3682

arcalimo.3682

I think is kinda buggy for you. I’ve tried using it while I’m not under conditions and I steal boons on my target.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aderon.7354

Aderon.7354

Well, maybe you’re out of range (basically, it’s 900), or simply blinded. Otherwise, it surely should work.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I think the range, especially with the recent lag, can cause some issues. But I’m pretty sure you can use it’s effects untargeted.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

@Ross Biddle: Not sure if you just mistyped there, but you certainly can NOT use arcane thievery without a valid target. You can use it with a target out of range, which will result in just nothing happening. You can most definitely use it with no conditions on you, or no boons on the target. The 2 effects it has are independent, so you don’t need to have both of them applicable to be able to use the skill.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Palu.3405

Palu.3405

I’ve noticed bugs with it too. It periodically fails for no reason for me. These are instances where I’m in range of the target and not blinded. It seems to happen most when the target and I are at different elevations, and I’ve noticed it not working if the target is above or below me underwater. It is a shame, because the skill seems great in terms of what it does, but I have a hard time justifying its use when it can just outright fail for seemingly no reason.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nevhie.6079

Nevhie.6079

Arcana thievery can be dodged…

Dunno about Blind thou. Haven;t try it with Blind.

Nevhíe
GreatSword Mesmer
Jade Quarry, Strike Force [SF]

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: clipnotdone.9634

clipnotdone.9634

It can be blocked, dodged and still wont work through Aegis most of the time.

Also it will just randomly not work sometimes.
Its been like this for awhile now. When it DOES work its an okay skill that’s not quite as nice as MoC or Null Field.
Since it still hasn’t been fixed I don’t think it will any time soon.

25/90 never forget.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Just run null field.. Better overall vs what thievery attempts to do right now.

Plus you get a combo field. Null is amazing vs guardians and such. I use it almost offensively.

You can also trait for cond removal on heals with 15 sec heal.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

You definitely should run Null field instead. It’s just so much better in terms of support/PvP capabilities.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Loco.4561

Loco.4561

It’s defo not out of range, I use the range indicator on the skills on all of my abilities to make sure I don’t waste anything, I also traited into Far Reaching manipulations to increase it’s range to 1200.

It’s useful for me to help chase down runners, as I’m incredibly slow, so if someone tries to run, I can arcane thievery, steal there swiftness or transfer cripple etc… It’s just incredibly buggy on use.

I had not considered null field, it seems to me that you need to make a decision with it whether to cleanse yourself OR strip boons from a target, Arcane Thievery just seems a better options as I get the best of both, if and when it works.

Mashup Bootleg ~ WvW Mesmer
Cyrus Glitch – sPvP/tPvP Mesmer
Doctor Loki – sPvP/tPvP/WvW Power Necro

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

AT is good in PvE when you know there are boons to steal (Jellyfish fractal).

That’s… about as far as its usefulness goes.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Sometimes I troll with it in WvW when I’m going against a necro, but quite honestly I almost never use it, even though when I do use it, it almost always works fine.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: pinkbunnies.4620

pinkbunnies.4620

i use this as my third utility in spvp along with blink and decoy. I am not a pro or anything but i find it can easilly turn the tide in 1v1 situations by generously returning that stack of ten bleed or 6 confusion to sender.

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

That, and as it is a manipulation (like blink) it profit from a different CD reduction than Null Field. For some builds, it allows for more frequent condition cleanse.

Another fractals that benefit from it is urban battle. Ascalonians like to get their 25 stacks of might, which you can steal and share with the aprty. Other fun place : boss of HotW path 1. If you don’t mess too much with the totems, you can give tremendous protection, regeneration and retaliation to the party (got 30s of protection one time).

Arcane Thievery

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

It can be nice to counteract Confusion Mesmers ikittenerg situation if you’re teamed with a Necro on voicecomm.

Eat tons of Confusion stacks on you by making yourself get singled out by the enemy Mesmer, AT them to someone in their middle, Necro times Epidemic. If this lines up well most of the condition cleansing has been fired at this point (Zergs are ~25% or so decimated), causing widespread AE damage from the enemy Mesmer in her own team.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.