Are Mesmers broken?

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hrothgard.4863

Hrothgard.4863

If so… how broken are we?

I just started playing my Mesmer more frequently (PvE and WvW), and have been looking into PvP as well… but I’m getting concerned about the bugs I’ve seen both in game and on the forums. I have encountered the following in the past couple days.

1. iWarden bug – just stands there doing nothing
2. iDefender bug – just stands there instead of attacking… perhaps a pathing issue?
3. iDuelist bug – Targets something completely different than what I’m targeting, usually out of my field of view.
4. DE bug – clones target something other than my target, even ambient creatures… which they insta-kill and then despawn. Makes using them for shatters impossible.

It seems like the phantasm issues happen more often when summoning them immediately after weapon swap, but that may just be my perception.
DE issues seem totally random… sometimes they work as expected, sometimes not.

In reading the forums there appear to be several other issues that I haven’t experienced yet.

Are the devs aware of these issues? I haven’t seen much about it in the bug forum.

Also, any suggestions on free/cheap recording software so I can document these issues better?

Anet… please fix my Mesmer!

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

there is also the los and obstructed bugs. i cant hit oil buildside even if im standing right below it. same with cannon.
lots of times i get obstructed if an enemy is a little higher up than me and phantasm goes into full cd.
ileap bug..
blink bugs
phaseretreat bugs

there is soo much we have just gotten used to over time, but its really sad these get never adressed.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hedger.9261

Hedger.9261

in order to make most viable builds you need 20 points in 3 lines with a high possibility of missing traits that would help you because they are 20 points into a 4th.

If we are broken beyond the known bugs its most likely because our traits are so scattered.

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Ok, lets see here.

1. iWarden bug – just stands there doing nothing

Yeah, this is a thing. They broke it a couple patches ago. Feel free to bump my thread in the bug forums on it, I’ll be making a new one every Wednesday until it gets fixed.

2. iDefender bug – just stands there instead of attacking… perhaps a pathing issue?

This, however, is not a thing. The iDefender doesn’t do much from a damage point of view, and its attack is not easily visible. What you should see, however, is a buff on yourself that indicates the Defender taking damage for you.

3. iDuelist bug – Targets something completely different than what I’m targeting, usually out of my field of view.

This also is not a thing. The only phantasm that will occasionally bug out from targets is the iWarden. The iDuelist will always attack what you summon it on, so perhaps you’ve summoned it on the wrong target?

4. DE bug – clones target something other than my target, even ambient creatures… which they insta-kill and then despawn. Makes using them for shatters impossible.

So, this isn’t exactly a ‘bug’. More of an incredibly irritating feature that I can almost guarantee will never get fixed. The way DE works is that it summons a clone on the closest viable target, not your current target.

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

Yeah, some old bugs, some new. I’d be surprised if any are fixed anytime soon.

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

This also is not a thing. The only phantasm that will occasionally bug out from targets is the iWarden. The iDuelist will always attack what you summon it on, so perhaps you’ve summoned it on the wrong target?

This is definitely a thing. I notice it most on TA when I spawn a duelist to attack the champion wurm. While most of its attacks are indeed focused on the champion, it will occasionally turn around and run over to a random veteran wurm and start attacking it instead.

I’m not so sure it’s a duelist only thing though as I’ve seen my warden do that too.

@obstructed phantasms comment. Make it a habit to always jump after you cast a phantasm. Their cast time is long enough to have you be airborne when they go off, and if you’re airborne when they go off they’re never obstructed by random hills. It’s stupid, but it does avoid putting your phantasm on CD for no reason.

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

This is definitely a thing. I notice it most on TA when I spawn a duelist to attack the champion wurm. While most of its attacks are indeed focused on the champion, it will occasionally turn around and run over to a random veteran wurm and start attacking it instead.

It only happens on world bosses or larger bosses when smaller mobs spawn around them. I get my target reset quite frequently and have to retarget the boss (e.g. the golem). So I guess that might be the reason for the observed behavior of the phantasms.

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jester.1236

Jester.1236

It only happens on world bosses or larger bosses when smaller mobs spawn around them. I get my target reset quite frequently and have to retarget the boss (e.g. the golem). So I guess that might be the reason for the observed behavior of the phantasms.

This happens on the golem, because you summoned him on the body, and the body becomes un-attackable, and the arms become attackable. The phantasm loses its target, and then attacks something else.

This happens on shatterer when he flies away.

There is also a period where worm is unattackable or his attack point switched I’m sure, probably during his spin.

Would it be nice if the clone knew to switch to the same target on a mob, when one part becomes immune? Sure it would. But I wouldn’t consider it a bug at all.

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I’ll just quote and translate this page about Guildwars 1 because it perfectly fits in here. It’s satire so do not take the whole text serious.
German

• “Der Mesmer wird grundsätzlich nicht von Noobs gespielt, denn zu allem Überfluss muss man sich die Fertigkeiten des Mesmers genau durchlesen, bevor man ansatzweise dahinter kommen könnte, was sie bewirken.
    Dies und die Tatsache, dass sie dann meist doch nicht das bewirken, was man sich erhofft hatte, machen ihn zum Frustrationschar für alle Noobs in Guildwars.”

Source

Translation

• _Generally the mesmer won’t be played by noobs because one has to read its skills exatly before even getting a slight idea of what they actually do.
    This and the fact that they mostly won’t work as one had thought makes the mesmer a “frustration character” for every noob in Guildwars.
    _

Better Translation (by a friend)

• In general, the Mesmer is not being played by noobs, given that you will have to thoroughly read the Mesmer’s skills, before even rudimentary knowing, what they might bring about. This, and the fact that they mostly do not even cause whatever the caster hoped they would, impose the Mesmer as frustrating for every noob playing Guild Wars.

As said: Not everyting fits but the skill description does :>

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

(edited by Me Games Ma.8426)

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’ve had duelist pick up a new target in WvW. I think it happens when they lose their current target, but that target is not destroyed and there’s a new viable target available.

It may happen with all phantasms, but duelists attack is pretty visible.

Are Mesmers broken?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Duelist picks a random target when his is out of range (seen at great jungle wurm for example). If he can not get the his target (when feared away or knocked away).

Snow Crows [SC]