Are Mesmers too unique?

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

I have come to the ultimate conclusion that Mesmer is by FAR the most horrific profession to get working in this game. Based on my experience with Mesmer, I believe this is because the profession is just too unique.
First of all, we have unique capabilities that no other class has. Time Warp is considered essential by many a dungeon group, and Mesmer is the only class that can provide it. Portal is another special case. Confusion is a third. As a result, these are the abilities that have been through the most changes. These are also the abilities most complained about.

Another reason Mesmer is too unique is that we use similar tools to other professions, but in a different way. Examples include:
Pets- Utility-slot summons that can be traited easily vs. weapon abilities that can’t be traited fully.
Reflection- Defensive protection of a team vs. punishment of ANY projectile use.
Boons/Conditions- Specializing to provide or clear one of these vs. the ability to provide and clear both- and all on the same build.

Ultimately, this profession is outside the scope of any other, and it’s been a nightmare both for the programmers and the players who anxiously await the next major change to our unique abilities. This has created major problems in the game with the class. While all other professions have a way to AOE, we have very unreliable and unpredictable AOE. While other professions have clear ways to cleanse conditions on self, we have little of this. All other professions can get run speed increases fairly easily, but we cannot.

So, here’s the questions: Would you rather us be less unique? Would it have been better if Mesmer abilities were more in line with other professions, therefore making it easier to balance? Are you willing to be a bit less settled than other professions simply because you provide skills and create circumstances no other profession can? Are you happy having relatively scattered trait choices and capabilities instead of being really good at your chosen specialization?
I’m not sure what the programmers will do with us. I’m not sure what they CAN do. But I see other unique aspects of the game getting phased out completely (i.e. Guardian Spirit Weapons used to be untargettable, but now work just like any other summon in the game), and I wonder what the future is for Mesmers.

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

(edited by Ramiah.5648)

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

And one last time.

No.

I won’t go through all the things that you said because I don’t feel like it, but suffice to say, most of the points you’re trying to make are completely factually wrong.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

No
and ofc no

/OsiNo

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

Just….no. Absolutely no.

So, here’s the questions: Would you rather us be less unique? Would it have been better if Mesmer abilities were more in line with other professions, therefore making it easier to balance? Are you willing to be a bit less settled than other professions simply because you provide skills and create circumstances no other profession can? Are you happy having relatively scattered trait choices and capabilities instead of being really good at your chosen specialization?

Everything in this paragraph is completely false.
*We’re not weaker
*Our trait choices aren’t scattered – in fact they’re one of the more synergistic in the entire game.
*We’re incredibly good at whatever we decided to build for/specialize in.

Sorry if I come across as rude, but this entire post is just plain inaccurate.

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

I don’t care I just want them to stop dealing more damage than a gc thief XD

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Do you even play a mesmer? I don’t think you do… and as for the whole “You can’t specialize in pets” thing, have you -seen- a phantasm mesmer? They spawn their phantasms and let them do work as they just survive, that’s more of a pet specializiation than a ranger, the pet prof, can do…

Mesmer is fine, i think confusion was overnerfed, but then again i think people should be punished for being stupid enough to not stop auto attacking.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

No. Mesmer is the most unique profession in GW2, maybe tied with Engineer. The rest are fairly generic. I very much like doing all the colorful awesome things that I’m able to do as a mesmer.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Uniqueness (and ofc trolling around my opponents) is one of the main reasons why i enjoy playing my mesmer, so…no.

I just want them to stop dealing more damage than a gc thief

Done, we aren’t.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I love the way the Mesmer is now and I dread any change they make. I think that the Mesmer is very different that every other class is the best way.

I love that there are dozens of viable builds. I love that Kylia can post a video and I can’t figure out the entire build just from looking at it (how is he doing that anyway… amazing).

Mesmers are the only class that can be in your face while kiting. It’s terrific.

However, from the tone of your post, it seems that you are struggling with the Mesmer. Do you have anything in particular that’s bothering you? There’s lots of people on this forum providing helpful advice.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Helios.3598

Helios.3598

no.

The mesmer’s uniqueness is intended. The mesmer profession is based on decieving or mesmerizing their opponent and it is able to do this by achieving the unexpected.

mesmer of Blackgate
http://intothemists.com/

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

A thousand times, no! Where I come from, Unique is good! Being unique makes us unpredictable in WvW. With the right build, other players have no idea what you are up to. Mesmer is the best class I’ve ever played in an MMO ever, even with that recent unmentionable nerf to confusion (shudder). Mesmers are the freaky class, the odd balls, the weirdos. And we like it that way. Plus, it’s actually not hard at all to make Mesmer work. You want uniqueness that leads to lack of functionality? Try engineer. That class is a royal mess. This is not to say there aren’t things to fix with Mesmer. They gotta give clones off hand weapons, buff confusion damage by 15% and replace some of the useless traits, but it’s still in pretty good shape as a class.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Hmm, which post should I quote that saves me time typing… ;D

(In short, No).

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

It’s the only reason I play the class. If the mesmer were to become less unique, Anet would have at least one less customer.

RIP in peace Robert

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

We have unreliqble aoe?
Our burst damage is aoe, if you use it as single target damage something went wrong.

We cant cleanse conditions?
Yes we can. But mesmers, like thieves are about avoiding damage, most conditions can also be avoided. For me a utility that cleanses conditions is almost a waste or a slot.

We cant get run speed?
Get a focus and run over the curtain. With a swiftness rune you can easily get 100% swiftness uptime, if we had any easier acces to swiftness or a runspeed signet t wiuld be overpowered, due to us already have the 2nd best in combat mobility.

Where i come from everyone is unique, and its a goodthing.

Making mesmer more in line with other professions would be a huge nerf.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: NerfedWar.8749

NerfedWar.8749

With announced plans to overhaul Necros and give them another DS skill and possibly a new condition, it’s my hope that the developers are focused on enhancing the uniqueness of other professions and not removing things from the mesmer.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

so we have people complaining about a class being “too unique” now? wtf has become of GW2 forum.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mice.8921

Mice.8921

With announced plans to overhaul Necros and give them another DS skill and possibly a new condition, it’s my hope that the developers are focused on enhancing the uniqueness of other professions and not removing things from the mesmer.

/cheer

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

This was more of an interesting “huh, would you look at that” kind of thing. I don’t have any problems with the class, really it’s one of the top 3 classes I like (Guardian and Necromancer being the others).
What’s interesting is the connotation some people read into what I wrote. I specifically chose the words I wrote to mean exactly what I said. For example, we have unreliable AOE meaning that while we definitely have access to AOE, it’s not on-demand and immediate. There’s another post on the main page of this forum asking how to tag in events/WvW because we can’t just throw down a Well/Symbol/Grenade/etc. and rake in the kills. Sure, we can set up clones and then detonate, hoping the enemy we targeted isn’t killed before they get to it, but it’s far less reliable than pushing a single button and tagging everything.
Additionally, my exact point about trait choices is that they are all pretty synergistic instead of having obvious needs. Playing a pet necromancer/guardian/ranger/etc. has very obvious trait choices and you can take them all, but Mesmers have to pick what they want. If you want the weapon cooldowns for all your Phantasms plus all the Illusion/Phantasm traits… well you can’t actually do that. Most people leave out Phantasmal Haste, which is my point- you can’t take it all for your “pets.”

I’m not bashing on Mesmers. What I am saying is they are incredibly unique in every way and that seems to be causing problems across the board with balance. We recently had a huge confusion nerf (an almost exclusively Mesmer ability, so we know it was targeted directly at us). Basically, our uniqueness makes us a target for changes and nerfs because it’s not a standard “change the damage numbers and we can fix this” kind of balancing that is easier to do. This mans uncertainty for the Mesmer profession, and I was wondering how people felt about that.
I’m glad to hear the people who understood the post saying they will continue to play it, especially Nerfedwar’s thoughts that they may bring other classes up in the “uniqueness” aspect to try and reach what we already have.

Just as a side note, it’s funny to see the forums explode when I mention some of the exact things mesmers complain about. For example the Mesmer forum is full of complaints about how we don’t have much self-cleanse capability, and here, some people are defending that. Talk about polarized, hehe.

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

(edited by Ramiah.5648)

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

This was more of an interesting “huh, would you look at that” kind of thing. I don’t have any problems with the class, really it’s one of the top 3 classes I like (Guardian and Necromancer being the others).
What’s interesting is the connotation some people read into what I wrote. I specifically chose the words I wrote to mean exactly what I said. For example, we have unreliable AOE meaning that while we definitely have access to AOE, it’s not on-demand and immediate. There’s another post on the main page of this forum asking how to tag in events/WvW because we can’t just throw down a Well/Symbol/Grenade/etc. and rake in the kills. Sure, we can set up clones and then detonate, hoping the enemy we targeted isn’t killed before they get to it, but it’s far less reliable than pushing a single button and tagging everything.
Additionally, my exact point about trait choices is that they are all pretty synergistic instead of having obvious needs. Playing a pet necromancer/guardian/ranger/etc. has very obvious trait choices and you can take them all, but Mesmers have to pick what they want. If you want the weapon cooldowns for all your Phantasms plus all the Illusion/Phantasm traits… well you can’t actually do that. Most people leave out Phantasmal Haste, which is my point- you can’t take it all for your “pets.”

I’m not bashing on Mesmers. What I am saying is they are incredibly unique in every way and that seems to be causing problems across the board with balance. We recently had a huge confusion nerf (an almost exclusively Mesmer ability, so we know it was targeted directly at us). Basically, our uniqueness makes us a target for changes and nerfs because it’s not a standard “change the damage numbers and we can fix this” kind of balancing that is easier to do. This mans uncertainty for the Mesmer profession, and I was wondering how people felt about that.
I’m glad to hear the people who understood the post saying they will continue to play it, especially Nerfedwar’s thoughts that they may bring other classes up in the “uniqueness” aspect to try and reach what we already have.

Just as a side note, it’s funny to see the forums explode when I mention some of the exact things mesmers complain about. For example the Mesmer forum is full of complaints about how we don’t have much self-cleanse capability, and here, some people are defending that. Talk about polarized, hehe.

your obviously not playing the same game as the rest of us if you think necromancer is in the top 3…

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

He said top 3 classes he likes, not actual top 3.

“Mesmer

Mesmers rely on illusions in order to accomplish their goals. They need illusions to accomplish some of their highest damage and control, and without the illusions, they become fairly fragile. They can deal with enemy boons better than most classes, but enemy conditions can often be a problem. They share some of the stealth and mobility that the Thief enjoys, but suffer from a low health pool if you get past all their tricks."

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-December-14-2012/first#post1038293

From another thread but this would also explain the condition removal situation. It’s supposed to be a weakness that a mesmer has unless we choose to specialize in countering it. I don’t recall that many people complaining about it though.

There is also supposed to be a major trait overhaul for each class coming this month (At least 1 change to each trait line and as many kitten changes per line) and would ideally give each class more uniqueness. I think it’s better when there are too many good traits to pick from and you have to choose. Other classes tend to have less of this and they need more, not the other way around.

Edit: 5 changes =kittens!

(edited by DuckDuckBOOM.4097)

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

TooBz.3065

I think the condition nerf was really targeted a the HGH engineer which could stack a ridiculous number of conditions so that you killed yourself trying to remove them.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

It was aimed at mesmers. Way more crying about the glamour builds than about confusion engineers but it actually hit the engineer harder and that’s injustified. Mesmers resorted to other builds but the engineer stil needs to use the same kits with the weakened confusion. While it’s still fun to play with confusion on an engineer, I feel like a buff is in place. A 20% damage buff to confusion in general or some slight increases on the stacks per weapon skill.

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

@TooBz: a HGH engineer mostly takes grenades that has no confusion, pistols which adds only 2 stacks and sometimes (rarely) swaps grenades for toolkit which brings 5 confusion stacks. Real confusion builds used Toolkit, Bomb Kit and Pistols and had no HGH because you can’t stack might with only 2 elixirs, a heal and a safe net (mostly).

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

TooBz.3065

Yeah, thanks. I was misinformed.

Are Mesmers too unique?

in Mesmer

Posted by: zastari.1730

zastari.1730

I don’t care I just want them to stop dealing more damage than a gc thief XD

Have you tried… dodging?

Tsarazi – 80 Asuran Mesmer [DERP]
Maguuma