At L.80, should I go Power or Condition?

in Mesmer

Posted by: glentc.2159

glentc.2159

So I’ll probably reach L.80 with my Mesmer this weekend but I’m not sure which armor type to purchase. A lot of the leveling builds suggested Power but I’m not sure if I still need power at L.80. I plan on continuing map completion and to participate in WvW groups. So far I see a lot of posts from 2013-2014 that would argue one from the other. I’m not sure what the state of Condition vs Power for Mesmer in PvE and WvW.

Also if I go with Traveler runes, should I drop my offhand Focus and go with Torch?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

If you want to do PvE, you should absolutely go power.

If you want to do large group fights in WvW, you should go power (or elementalist, but that’s besides the point).

If you want to do small groups or solo roaming, then you can either go power or conditions, with multiple variations of each being good for that sort of play.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

You can play a Power (well, Power/Precision/Ferocity) Mesmer in every game mode and do well. It’s never not optimal or close to it.

Condition builds or “tankier” Power specs are much more of a niche thing. Still, lots of stuff can work in map exploration or WvW havoc/roaming. Which weapons do you enjoy the most?

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noble.2670

Noble.2670

id personally start with power, you can hop in and out of every game mode more easily, and it will help fine tune your reactions punishing you for not dodging at the right moments or using the right skills, its a great way to learn and build upon your skills imo

Stupid Seven [sM]
my vids: https://tinyurl.com/sevenddelem

in Mesmer

Posted by: WitchKing.5317

WitchKing.5317

Whether or not you drop the focus depends on your build alone and not so much the traveler runes. If your using them for speed in wvw then it doesn’t really matter you can still use the focus effectively because it isn’t just a speed tool.

Fanged Wisdom- [BBQ]/[OMFG]
The Corrupt Mesmer Builds

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

Power. It’s much better overall. Condi really only shines in solo/smallscale WvW, where as power works everywhere.
You can get condition gear very cheaply from trading post or/and Orr karma vendors, so it’s not too big of an investment to get two sets.

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

Power is better but since ascended gear is account bound you can always pass the armor to another char if you made a mistake.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thothkepara.2539

Thothkepara.2539

I prefer power.

I typically wreck staff/scepter Mesmers in WvW, both weapons are way too slow and very easy to interrupt in 1v1 and small group situations. But… Condi is a powerful havoc (small group) option and skilled people can do a lot with it even 1v1.

Overall, if you see yourself doing a lot of roaming with a small group, condi is definitely viable, but as others have said, power works everywhere.

in Mesmer

Posted by: KataRyo.9420

KataRyo.9420

I suggest power (Berserker). It is very viable in PvE and also PvP. Suggested weapons: Great Sword (Pve, Pvp, Wvw); Sword – main hand and Torch/Pistol(Pvp), Focus(Pve and Wvw) – off hand.
This is what i use and i think it is working very well.

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

start condi as you will learn the basic fight and mechanism
but go power but to be good at it you must invest time as it skill cap is much higher

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

So I’ll probably reach L.80 with my Mesmer this weekend but I’m not sure which armor type to purchase. A lot of the leveling builds suggested Power but I’m not sure if I still need power at L.80. I plan on continuing map completion and to participate in WvW groups. So far I see a lot of posts from 2013-2014 that would argue one from the other. I’m not sure what the state of Condition vs Power for Mesmer in PvE and WvW.

Also if I go with Traveler runes, should I drop my offhand Focus and go with Torch?

after more play time, you will realize Memser is mostly average or slight above average in most aspects of the game. Instead of focus on gearing the mesmer, I think it’s better to explore the possibility of playing another class (elementalist, guardian or even thief). Dont throw all your eggs in one basket, you will regret it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

after more play time, you will realize Memser is mostly average or slight above average in most aspects of the game. Instead of focus on gearing the mesmer, I think it’s better to explore the possibility of playing another class (elementalist, guardian or even thief). Dont throw all your eggs in one basket, you will regret it.

Some people play what they enjoy, not the FOTM. And above average is still better than most.

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer