Balance advice for Devs 101 (GIVE & take)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kabooky.8071

Kabooky.8071

As a trainer for 25 years I learnt long ago that giving someone a favourite exercise at the end of a session can help them forget the push ups from hell I tortured them with earlier.

I would gladly have had portal restricted to party only or max 5-10 (take) but have its original CD moved from 60 to 40-45 (give) or even a pretend give of 60 seconds, less portal bomb abuse in wvw.

Taking might stacks from 3 down to 1 (take) a loss in offence, I would restore illusion army membrane to its original and useful version (give) a gain in defence.

I would give mesmers Fans as off hand focus so as to prevent claims of false advertising!
Or I would simply fire the genius that forgot to include it in the art texture pack. And then put it in.

PS, as far as I’m concerned this is daoc 2, I could care less about pve/spvp he’ll if I want to play sport ill get some fresh air and health benefits by getting off my butt. Please don’t let this turn into a wow gear treadmill. Ie; do I have to do fractals to remain on an even footing in wvw? A place where finally skill not ground hours into gear is the difference of a win or a loss? Or am I getting fractal gear all wrong? And it’s no better stat wise than exotic.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

Do you give a fat patient candy (give) for doing burpees (take)? That’s what you’re expecting.

If a skill needs to be adjusted its because its needed. Done. We can’t expect to be compensated every time something else changes – it’s not what “balance” means. Buffs have to come for the same reason needs do, because they are necessary.

Fans? False advertising? I LOLed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazin.2073

Kazin.2073

No idea why so many people get caught up on fractal gear. You only need to do 1-2 fracs to get a mist drop which is the only “Fractal only” item you require to craft the back piece.

The rings would take longer to get but the stat upgrades are not worth mentioning. I’m shocked there are tears shed on this issue when you still have game-breaking problems such as culling in WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kabooky.8071

Kabooky.8071

Do you give a fat patient candy (give) for doing burpees (take)? That’s what you’re expecting.

Infact allowing someone a small amount of freedom in a healthy eating plan allows them a much higher % chance of intergrating that plan into normal healthy habbits.
So if you give me a week of great exercise and YOU desperatly want to reward yourself with a mars bar candy then I would be an IDIOT to say NO. Western world morbid obeisity levels are still on the increase, I dont need to argue the value of the tried and tested carrot and stick pschycology method.

Ive been playing MMO’s since EQ hit Australian shores and understand full well the importance of class balance. Having said that you would be a fool to think that developers (like you or me) are beyond question and make the right descision every time. Ive seen fanboys and trolls screw a class into the ground and on the other hand help lift a class into a fun and usefull experience through feedback on forums. I give Anet alot of credit in most respects for using data analysis in conjunction with player feedback.
If you want a healthy player base you need more than one eyed fanboys harking, you need your base of players HAPPY. And just to be clear… when you TAKE (a perception of a balance with a negative outcome) then its more palatable to GIVE ( a percetion of balance with a positive outcome)….. ie; carrot and stick… bait and switch.
How much give/take and to what degree? Thats the job of Devs.

However I would be interested in what you would Give up in order to Recieve.

Oh and the false advertising is an obvious Pizz take. Sure I’d love to see them in, but meh Id like to win a million dollars too.

(edited by Kabooky.8071)