Balance team contradiction

in Mesmer

Posted by: Clownmug.8357

Clownmug.8357

I was just wondering, which of the intended changes coming in September are supposed improve our defense?

A few months ago the balance team stated they wanted to make a few tweaks to deal with burst damage. However, the recent changes to PU and clone death traits indicates the opposite is being done. These changes also seem to be a knee-jerk reaction to the complaints concerning the scepter and IE changes. In other words, we’re taking a nerf to defense to compensate for a buff in offense.

I think the balance team should look at their “sliders” to see that they haven’t pushed them too far in the wrong directions.

Balance philosophy video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD9Tvfk1pjk#t=2885

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

They stated that the recent changes were, in fact, a reaction to all the threads on these forums. Personally there is a lot about this whole mess that I don’t agree with but I do applaud the devs for taking action as quickly as they have. I still feel they needed more direct communication with the players, particularly the mesmers in this case, but this shows that they are listening and reacting faster.

in Mesmer

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

They stated that the recent changes were, in fact, a reaction to all the threads on these forums. Personally there is a lot about this whole mess that I don’t agree with but I do applaud the devs for taking action as quickly as they have. I still feel they needed more direct communication with the players, particularly the mesmers in this case, but this shows that they are listening and reacting faster.

Yes they are listening to people in the other profession forums complain about mesmer and they will keep doing crap like this till mesmer is completely unviable in sPvP.

Devona’s Rest

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Yes they are listening to people in the other profession forums complain about mesmer and they will keep doing crap like this till mesmer is completely unviable in sPvP.

Ah, but its not only the other professions.

the mesmer community is a part of it too. IMO, we are the only profession who gets buffed and complains about the buff too. And hence, leads to unnecessary nerfs. Sad but true.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

See, it’s childish kneejerk reactions like these which make devs in games not care about the player feedback. Because no matter what they change, people cry endlessly.

So, up until 2 days ago the entire forum was getting spammed with threads that we need PU nerfs with these new scepter buffs. You’d think now that they changed that there’d be positive comments and players would discuss peacefully again? No ofc not.

Now, we’re not “the players” as in one entity, sure. But if you cannot ultimately gather any viable feedback because people constantly drown everything in tears, why even bother? Is it such a surprise that devs in video games mostly just do their own thing, player interaction be kitten ed?

I played PU before it even got the buffs which made it popular. Believe it or not, it was kinda cool back then, too. Now it gets nerfed again, so what? Doesn’t really make my character any less playable.

Stop making mountains out of molehills. That might get some dev to listen to players.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Clownmug.8357

See, it’s childish kneejerk reactions like these which make devs in games not care about the player feedback. Because no matter what they change, people cry endlessly.

So, up until 2 days ago the entire forum was getting spammed with threads that we need PU nerfs with these new scepter buffs. You’d think now that they changed that there’d be positive comments and players would discuss peacefully again? No ofc not.

Now, we’re not “the players” as in one entity, sure. But if you cannot ultimately gather any viable feedback because people constantly drown everything in tears, why even bother? Is it such a surprise that devs in video games mostly just do their own thing, player interaction be kitten ed?

I played PU before it even got the buffs which made it popular. Believe it or not, it was kinda cool back then, too. Now it gets nerfed again, so what? Doesn’t really make my character any less playable.

Stop making mountains out of molehills. That might get some dev to listen to players.

The devs are listening to the players, at least some of them. It seems to me like sPvP players are dictating the balance of game at the moment. If they were doing their own thing shouldn’t they follow their own words from that old Ready Up video?

(edited by Clownmug.8357)

in Mesmer

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

the pu changes dont matter at all.. the on death traits getting nerfed from muliple angles was the big nerf. not only did it get a nerf to stacks/duration. but on top of that 3+ more ways to negate on death traits were added.. so it will be a good portion weaker,

this dosent really add counterplay to pu.. because noone will be blowing blocks aegis blind to avoid clone death as a plan.. but it will happen in a passive way during a fight.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

spvp players are not dictating the balance of the game.. forum whiners are dictating the balance of the game.

“helseth said torment will ruin the game.. and he is better then me.. so i wont bother forming a thought”

(edited by zaxon.6819)

in Mesmer

Clownmug.8357

Well, I think that most of the forum whiners were probably dedicated sPvP players anyways. =P

in Mesmer

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

You see when they “add” something they “subtract” from elsewhere, you know to maintain some “illusion” of balance. If mesmers had know what they were losing we would have backed out, no questions asked. Do you really think scepter having torment is what’s going to make it “seal the deal” and that mesmer will be content and no question the iterative process the devs are going through to “fix mesmer?”

Hell. No.

Slapping a band-aid on scepter and then proceeding to maim the other aspects of the mesmer, of course some of us are wondering where the hell is this thing call “mesmer” is going. At the rate of balancing fixes and polishing goes it may be several years before mesmer can be confidently declared to be “in a good place.”

Really, the Anet may (or may not) be ushering the mesmer into a direction that’s best for the game and players but as for what we’ve seen so far (from 2 years till now) and including the upcoming changes, I can’t help but feel that their sense of direction is off or they need a better driver to get them to where they want to be.

Devona’s Rest

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

whats this? the anet dev team said one thing and then decided to go another direction? thats unheard of and Outland- wait wheres the link to the manifesto from 4 years ago.. why hasn’t it been posted here yet?

but to point out, its not just Mesmer that Anet is pretty lost when it comes to direction, you can go look at the WvW stances and practices, or sPvP or Necro or Ele or Ranger or core PvE or Dungeons or kind of anything that isn’t Living Story…

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korusef.3714

Korusef.3714

I doubt devs are reacting to forum complains about the torment. It is more likely all the changes are already coded in and they are just informing us about them.
They probably took user input from the comments in the forums when they decided what they are going to change, but for now the changes are set.

in Mesmer

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

It is there as a matter of public record. Mesmer got buffed and nerfed based off those buffs before the patch was even released. The clone death nerfs were stated as balancing to the scepter AA…so what about people who don’t use the scepter at all?..Instead of diversifying, they have reduced. If you want to condi build, scepter is a must..because you have already been nerfed to compensate for scepter AA. Without scepter AA you’ve just been nerfed.

Slow clap. There wasn’t even a grace period of 14 days post patch just to see how it panned out.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

“Let’s wait for the meta to settle” they said…this is how we had to deal for more than one year with thieves and kitten hambow jungernauts.

But when it comes to mesmer…meta can settle before release….
Mesmers out of meta for longer than crying rangers but nevermind …

If scepter change was bad…they had to remove it instead of brainlessly breaking something else in urgency.

(edited by Kicast.1459)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korusef.3714

Korusef.3714

I believe the devs designed the changes for scepter AA and death traits at the same time and worked on the for the whole patch period.
The death traits changes have nothing to do with the QQ on the forums after the first Ready Up.
Do you really thing they would be able to implement the changes that fast?
Look at the list of mesmer bugs …

So we could assume they saw the scepter AA changes as buff and balanced it with the trait changes. Whether we think that they made the right decision is another thing.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

skillondeathtrait.blockable=true
skillondeathtrait.evadable=true

test….oops no test …too complicated to have a test environment

I stop joking…I think your are true…they were maybe not sure on being ready during the skillbar review.

(edited by Kicast.1459)