Posted by: Greasy.7609

Greasy.7609

Q:

Be a tanky mesmer with Cat Mage's tank build

in Mesmer

Greasy.7609

A:

0,0,6,4,4 is so-so with pvp as I’ve discovered Cat Mage’s direct attack build works so much better. HOWEVER Gate Guard has been doing really well in dungeons not dying. Cat Mage is squishy and dies in a few hits. The AI of dungeons has a tricky time taking me down when with the right pink accessiores and gear Gate Guard has 2,800 toughness and high condi dmg 1,300 or 1,400 or so. Condi is a slower death then direct damage,however PU will boon you all day long while you Mass invis the group in the right spots. Maybe this build is wrong for pvp and just being a pest,but being a cloth wearing tank isn’t bad for honor of the waves sorrow’s embrace etc.

Attachments:

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

My answer to your question would be : Nope.

Then again, this is probably for PvP. Not my field. Would still not run it though.

in Mesmer

Greasy.7609

I’ll give it a try anyway. Worst that can happen is it doesn’t work for me but at least I gave it a shot. It took a while for people to kill me though.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

So I actually ran an almost similar setup for the last two nights, only with a few differences that made it much stronger than what you’ve gone with.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNAW7flknpRtlpxINMrNSvRY6grlTmtiy6cA-TJxFwAo2f4ZZAAXBADPEAA

The idea was to be an on point defender, being able to sit and soak, hold, and counter pressure. Either to hold a point for a little bit in a 1v1 or 1v2, but ultimately playing group fights, while turning down enemies with condi damage and otherwise ruining their day with a lot of lingering chill. It was very effective in many situations. I’d use the low cd clone skills to generate burning and follow through with frequent two clone shatters (not worrying for optimal three clone if it wasn’t available). Then wep swap for the whole scepter/torch torment/confusion side.

Like I said, it was quite effective, better than you’d think without DE. But in all honestly it would only take you so far up the line in terms of competitive play. The caveat is that I ended up feeling there were stronger builds simply for incorporating DE within them, even if this build managed to overcome the “no DE” problem all on its own, making it otherwise playable albeit at a lesser level. Such is much of mesmer life.

(edited by Ross Biddle.2367)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wile.5024

Wile.5024

Horrible build for everything: close to zero dmg, can’t hold points, no team support… completely useless

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Good to see others playing with 0/0/6/4/4.

OP, unfortunately disruptor’s sustainment is an incredibly weak trait that pales in comparison to the other grand master offerings in the chaos line, and even some master offerings. Running CI or BI with chaotic dampening would be more useful. Even so, CI goes under utilized if you have limited interrupt sources.

I’ve also played a 0/0/6/4/4 spread for about 3 months in PvP. The trait spread is really quite versatile; you can do quite a few different things from bunker to bruiser.

Personally I play a reflect heavy bruiser support variant with celestial. It’s good enough to defeat most builds out there 1v1 and 1v2 is possible for 20-30 seconds for help to arrive (I’ve won a few 1v2’s, but bad players). The strengths are reflects, blinds, passive AoE healing and point control with focus pull. Damage is extremely deceptive due to the large potential might stacking, which is very probable in any team fight. The only glaring weakness is bunker builds/turret engis. This build, like Ross’s variant is designed to be on on point and you very much feel like you’re the anchor on point.

I’ve had a good player help me run it through the paces over the course of a couple months. We’ve tried countless rune/sigil combinations, devised numerous combos and really pushed the limits of this trait allocation. We’ve dueled some very good players and it’s performed really well. It doesn’t have a place at the highest levels of competitive play but you will win and sometimes carry many a ranked/unranked match if played correctly.

My tester plays this with CI instead of CD. Personally I can’t do without 6s phase retreats and with 28s Chaos Storms, I use them offensively 75% of the time. He also plays with blink where I play with mirror images which significantly increases DPS output while on staff.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNArdWlknpVtlqxTNcrNivRY6jgqT2thy4bA-TpRHwADOCAEeAABOEAAOBAHLDoe/BA

Official build thread if interested: Utility Wizard

Overall, I encourage you to continue experimenting with 0/0/6/4/4. It’s not honestly the strongest from a versatility perspective (I think 0/4/6/4/0 is even more versatile), but there is a lot of potential.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

OP, unfortunately disruptor’s sustainment is an

BD, just to avoid confusion.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

OP, unfortunately disruptor’s sustainment is an

BD, just to avoid confusion.

Ah yes, thanks – had them mixed up. So many useless GM traits, yo.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Good to see others playing with 0/0/6/4/4.

OP, unfortunately disruptor’s sustainment is an incredibly weak trait that pales in comparison to the other grand master offerings in the chaos line, and even some master offerings. Running CI or BI with chaotic dampening would be more useful. Even so, CI goes under utilized if you have limited interrupt sources.

I’ve also played a 0/0/6/4/4 spread for about 3 months in PvP. The trait spread is really quite versatile; you can do quite a few different things from bunker to bruiser.

Personally I play a reflect heavy bruiser support variant with celestial. It’s good enough to defeat most builds out there 1v1 and 1v2 is possible for 20-30 seconds for help to arrive (I’ve won a few 1v2’s, but bad players). The strengths are reflects, blinds, passive AoE healing and point control with focus pull. Damage is extremely deceptive due to the large potential might stacking, which is very probable in any team fight. The only glaring weakness is bunker builds/turret engis. This build, like Ross’s variant is designed to be on on point and you very much feel like you’re the anchor on point.

I’ve had a good player help me run it through the paces over the course of a couple months. We’ve tried countless rune/sigil combinations, devised numerous combos and really pushed the limits of this trait allocation. We’ve dueled some very good players and it’s performed really well. It doesn’t have a place at the highest levels of competitive play but you will win and sometimes carry many a ranked/unranked match if played correctly.

My tester plays this with CI instead of CD. Personally I can’t do without 6s phase retreats and with 28s Chaos Storms, I use them offensively 75% of the time. He also plays with blink where I play with mirror images which significantly increases DPS output while on staff.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNArdWlknpVtlqxTNcrNivRY6jgqT2thy4bA-TpRHwADOCAEeAABOEAAOBAHLDoe/BA

Official build thread if interested: Utility Wizard

Overall, I encourage you to continue experimenting with 0/0/6/4/4. It’s not honestly the strongest from a versatility perspective (I think 0/4/6/4/0 is even more versatile), but there is a lot of potential.

I definitely like this build more because of the utility it brings. It also makes BI or even CI feel more worth the trait pick because of that extra interrupt (aoe no less). Reflects are also da’bomb in pvp when their effect comes into play. Also, glamors are great fun when you can get them into a build, and traited they truly come to life.

Anyway “Anchor” is a great term for what this build can do for a pug team. You feel the effect immediately in a match.