Berserker vs. Rampager (staff + shattering)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Przemek.3289

Przemek.3289

Hello,
i can’t decide which item set to use. The problem is I really like to use staff and as we now it is factory of conditions, but my build is based on illusion shattering (my main source of illusions is trait that creates clone on dodge).

Is it worth to invest in rampager which gives precision, power AND condition damage that benefits staff skills and confusion from F2 shatter
OR
choose berserker gear which gives actually pure power that directly supports shattering, damage done by staff illusion and sword/pistol skills (i use sword only when my staff skills are on cd).

I notice that more precision can compensate a lack of power so the question is if condition damage equals crit damage while using staff and illusion shattering… ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nero.8623

Nero.8623

You want berzerker

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I use rampager staff but zerker trinkets . I do not depend on staff for most of the damage though. I use it in between bursts to keep up pressure and more importantly for defense. My damage weapon set are all zerker.

in Mesmer

Przemek.3289

Ok, but while using absolutely non-condition items i feel that so many conditions form staff and clones are ‘wasted’ and could actually deal more damage if there were some condition damage on items

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I’m currently testing a Staff/GS condition/shatter build based around Rampager’s Armor. The all glass cannon shatter build with berserkers is way fun to play but I wanted a change-up and also add more balance with vitality/toughness and play a pure ranged style.

The build I’m working with is pretty much decked out like a typical shatter (20/20/0/0/30) but one difference is you are using the illusionary elasticity trait which affects both weapons in this case. You are laying conditions on like crazy with the staff and to a lesser extent, GS (vuln) while at the same time gaining valuable boons from both. While you hear a lot of talk about a shatter build contradicting a condition build, I find that with this build you are pressuring the enemy then coming in with shatter bursts (F1,F2) as necessary. So I’d say you are shattering a little less than a pure shatter build but not much. It’s a lot of fun to run with. These are the specs I’m after:

3k Att
750 Cond Dmg
17k Health
2k Armor
50% Crit Chance
50% Crit Damage

Runes are currently up in the air. I’m considering Adventurer, Altruism, Fire, Strength, Air, or Centuar.

One other thing I really like about this build is that every trait and every attribute buffed by the trait choices are being used strategically. Often times you create builds where there are one or two attributes you don’t really use or care about. I know with build theory-crafting you shouldn’t worry too much about that, but it’s cool that every attribute is used in this one.

It’s nothing too fancy but a nice change of pace. If you’d like my gear choices I can provide – they are kinda all over the map due to trying to balance things out.
http://tinyurl.com/cmw9xaz

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

(edited by skcamow.3527)

in Mesmer

Posted by: kandolo.2574

kandolo.2574

Ok, but while using absolutely non-condition items i feel that so many conditions form staff and clones are ‘wasted’ and could actually deal more damage if there were some condition damage on items

We have a signet that gives +100 condition damage. Also, try focusing on ways to stack might, like Sigil of Battle. That also props up your condition damage as to not ‘waste’ those conditions.

Nothing is more painful than fighting a boss like the Nightmare tree and your only source of damage is a 2 or 3 bleeds and an occasional burning because your auto-attack doesn’t bounce and your clones keep getting themselves killed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kandolo.2574

kandolo.2574

We have a signet that gives +100 condition damage. Also, try focusing on ways to stack might, like Sigil of Battle. That also props up your condition damage as to not ‘waste’ those conditions.

Nothing is more painful than fighting a boss like the Nightmare tree and your only source of damage is a 2 or 3 bleeds and an occasional burning because your auto-attack doesn’t bounce and your clones keep getting themselves killed.

in Mesmer

Przemek.3289

I think rampager seems to be more interesting (which does not mean more powerful), with some condition damage you can play around with condition+shattering builds simultaneously not loosing that much power (hey, it is still there, on all items :P ). Berserker is fairly simple choice but it just eliminates some opportunities.

in Mesmer

Posted by: jwburks.9735

jwburks.9735

I have rampager armor and weapons with berserker jewelry. That gives me 60% critical chance and 62% critical damage bonus (on top of the base 50%). I lost 26% critical damage for more precision (+495, to be exact) and +352 condition damage. I’ve done the math, and berserker’s jewelry would have given me more critical damage bonus than armor + weapons, but strangely armor + weapons has higher stats than jewelry, usually. Just not with critical damage bonus, jewelry wins on that.

Honestly, though. I don’t think hybrids work well in this game. It seems you either go all the way in one direction, or you’ll end up mediocre. Maybe that’s just the way I am seeing it now.

We heard . . . we listened . . . we ignored.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kodesh.2851

kodesh.2851

I don’t pve so this is all from wvw/pvp experience.

With full zerker and food buffs I was able to get my crit damage bonus over 100%, and it was quite fun. It was just too glassy for me in WvW though, and I felt like I was leaving a lot on the table with the prof since so many of our skills are geared towards conditions.

I was constantly respeccing between phantasm and shatter builds, switching gear sets. It just never felt quite right running all power/crit or all condition.

Now I run berserker armor, with Chrysocola (cnd/pwr/vit) jewlery and orbs (no pve = broke). Carrion staff zerker GS or sword/X. This gives me a comfortable mix of offensive and defensive stats. I’ll have to double check the numbers, but power is around 1700, 1000 condition dmg, ~40% crit and crit dmg, and ~20k health.

It all comes down to your playstyle and build, though. Afaik my 10/25/20/0/15 build isn’t among the more popular ones. It’s just what works for me after a few hundred hours with the profession.

Sizzap – Asura Mesmer, Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

kodesh.2851

Oh, for runes… I’ve tried all kinds of setups in PVP. By far my favorite are runes of Lyssa. The precision is great of course, but that condition wipe/boons on elite use is simply amazing. I know most ppl think timewarp is OP, but Lyssa Runes + Mass Invis have helped me pull off some really interesting plays

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Personally I find Rampager Armor greatly overpowered. That’s why I’m using it :P

With that armor I can go very different builds with Mesmer, which also can be quite defensive. The condition dmg applied through Sharper Images by my illusions is amazing and pressures the opponent constantly, while the high precision also allows for critical dmg and effects on critical hit (freeze, fire blast, cond remove, boon remove, might, vulnerability etc. are just awesome).

There is but no rampager set on the ascended armors (I believe because of it being so strong). So I will go for a mix of berserker and carrion (soon, it will be done). Thus loosing around 7-8% critical chance (and being at only 40-50% critical chance, depending on the weapon I use) but gaining more power, condition dmg and some toughness.

I even thought for some time, not to go for ascended armor, so I don’t loose this critical chance. But I will try it out and see how it goes…

EDIT: My main build is a shatter build with 20/20/0/0/30, GS or Staff and Sword/Pistol.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

(edited by TyPin.9860)

in Mesmer

Przemek.3289

Rampager armor and staff + Berserker jewerly and sword/pistol as an ultimate answer?

in Mesmer

kodesh.2851

Rampager has the right stats in the wrong combination. Too much precision.

I too wanted a power/crit/condition set. I also wanted to be able to buy it all on the trading post. I settled on full zerker armor, with chrysocola (pwr,cond,vit) jewlery and orbs. Staff is Rampager, though I will probly swap that for Carrion.

This is a slightly more power/crit focused. You get to about 1900pwr, 800condition dmg, 40% crit. Those are rough numbers, I’m usually 20+ into dueling. I use a sigil of minor corruption to get condi over 1000.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alchemist.3692

Alchemist.3692

The problem with condition stacks are that most professions can remove them easily, and if you aren’t pure condition spec’d you’re not outputting enough damage since most professions again are spec’d for vit and toughness since their base power is higher than mesmer they don’t typically invest much (minus the glass canon noobs).

unfortunately we have to usually pick one or the other, or it becomes a complicated build.

I use zerker armor, with toughness and condition trinkets to balance it out a little because I did want my confusion stacks to do damage right away before they figure out they have it. I don’t have as much power as i did with my full zerker build but huge survivability opportunities to completely confuse the enemy as they try and figure out what build im running so they can adjust their strategies.

The way I do it is that I use conditions mainly as a distraction or something to add a little bit of pressure. Confusion is great because most ppl don’t even notice it’s on till it’s too late. They’re usually spec’d for bleeds burns and poison so they know its a battle against time and the more they can attack you the better chances they have of downing a mesmer and then clearing conditions then stomp. But with confusion they dont usually realize right away so it does a fair amount of damage even at only 800 condition dmg. In that time of panic you can usually get off an ileap into the blurred frenzy and shatter combo.

keep in mind, while staff can chew someone down at close range with the additional bounce trait, you are also at risk to take big damage. Being a staff primary you should be going for condition build and not shatter.

you should post some videos of your fights with your current setup and get feedback on it. Also, get the cheap level 78 masterwork of the same armor (similar stats) so you can see the difference in gameplay which is the goal. You wont get the exact same damage numbers, but it’ll give you something to benchmark against when you make your final decision

Currently im at 2800 atk 2100 armor around 900 condition and 18.5k hp. I run zerkers armor two toughness rings, zerker amulet, and two condition earings.

Traits are 0/20/0/20/30, I mainly run sword focus with staff for defensive plays

(edited by Alchemist.3692)

in Mesmer

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

I use zerker armor, with toughness and condition trinkets to balance it out a little because I did want my confusion stacks to do damage right away before they figure out they have it. I don’t have as much power as i did with my full zerker build but huge survivability opportunities to completely confuse the enemy as they try and figure out what build im running so they can adjust their strategies.

If you insist on mixing berserker with something else, I’d suggest berserker jewelry and the other stats on armor, you get more crit damage for free this way.

That being said, I too don’t like hybrids that much since both stats and traits usually don’t mix that well, and mesmer does usually not bring quick and reliable condition stacking.

in Mesmer

Przemek.3289

@Alchemist I lost the thread a bit. We are talking here mainly about pve (dungeons), aren’t we? Mobs usually do not realise that they have some conditions on. Although, in sPvP, power/precision/crit damage are best indeed. You are right.