Besides staff, how to tackle groups of mobs?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Malleus Maleficarum.2603

coming to Mesmer from an 80 trap ranger, an 80 wellmancer, an 80 bomb kit engi, and an 80 daggers ele, i feel like I’m terrible when i need to fight basically more than about 2 enemies right now.

Besides Staff, because except for when i know theres going to be huge amounts of enemies for big defend events or whatever i just don’t like using it very much at all, what weapon sets can help me survive better against multiple enemies?

right now i’m going scepter/focus and sword/torch and focusing on illusions and confusion, and making enemies kill themselves with skills like feedback ( i miss the GW1 mes :/)

I’m only on level 18 so it’s most likely a mix of L2P with those weapon sets, and not having any help from traits, but any tips for dealing with being outnumbered will be helpful, thanks!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Labarge.1439

Labarge.1439

I’ve found the Greatsword’s Berzerker Phantasm pretty helpful for dealing with groups. The attack speed could be better, and positioning is important, but combined with a Staff it’s served me well so far.

Labarge – [MEND] – Mesmer – Eredon Terrace

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

For the low levels just stick with staff. It is much slower than all other professions, but it is safe and gets the job done.

Things will change a lot when you level up and gain access to more traits. Shattering will become much smoother, pooping out clones will be much quicker, and some skills like GS2 will have a very small cooldown and an additional bounce for much better damage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Malleus Maleficarum.2603

ok i guess i’ll just keep the staff as my secondary. Thanks…(can’t get to 40 quick enough lol)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Darzinth.7960

Darzinth.7960

Shatter x4 > Shatter x4 > Blurred Frenzy. Rinse and repeat.

Also, use focus smartly and the phantasm will wreck.

Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Celestial Apocalypse
Mesmer – Krissadi | Warrior – Bloodpriest Rosette

(edited by Darzinth.7960)

in Mesmer

Posted by: KirinDave.6451

KirinDave.6451

Once you get to Master traits, 20 points in Dueling gives you Deceptive Evasion. This lets you trade off dodges for clone generation, which makes PvE much easier.

The general plan for a condition/damage hybrid using Staff and Greatsword looks something like this:

1. Approach the mobs, casting your phantasm.
  2. Immediately Phase Retreat. Begin to Circle strafe to try and draw the monsters into a tight pivoting group. This is a skill that has to be practiced, but many classes need to do it so it’s not Mesmer specific and it’ll pay off for many characters to understand.
  3. Dodge, Mind Wrack. This should hit at least a few of the mobs you’re grouping for good damage.
  4. Switch to Greatsword as the rugby team is running in, and use GS4 then GS2.
  5. Dodge, and use GS5 to contain the group. Either GS2 or stamina will let you make a third clone.
  6. Use Cry of Frustration, switch back to staff, start generating clones again.
  7. Repeat until the group goes down. Remember you have utilities and Distortion if you need it.

Staff clones really are the best clones though. You can pretty much just kite with them melting enemies one at a time. It’s especially effective once you get the Master trait from Illusions, Illusionary Elasticity.