Boosted mesmer to 80 = biggest mistake?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phantasmagoria.2918

Phantasmagoria.2918

So I played this game when it first released, but stopped at around level 20 and recently came back, enjoyed it and boosted my mesmer to 80 with the expansion. But, it seems like after countless attempts of both AC and 1-3 fractals with many builds on these forums that I can’t survive for more than 1 or 2 fights before I need to be upped, I barely pull any dps, and even though I’m well equipped to support it always falls flat lmao. I feel like I wasted both my time/money cause this is really one of the only classes I’d like to play and I’m ready to quit xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

So I played this game when it first released, but stopped at around level 20 and recently came back, enjoyed it and boosted my mesmer to 80 with the expansion. But, it seems like after countless attempts of both AC and 1-3 fractals with many builds on these forums that I can’t survive for more than 1 or 2 fights before I need to be upped, I barely pull any dps, and even though I’m well equipped to support it always falls flat lmao. I feel like I wasted both my time/money cause this is really one of the only classes I’d like to play and I’m ready to quit xD

Are you playing mesmer or chrono, what gear do you have, what builds are you using?

The difficulties you’re describing are things that should not happen to a competent player with even severely outdated gear, so this is an issue with the way you’re playing the class, not the class itself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Havardmj.8570

Havardmj.8570

Well starting off with the hardest class probably was a mistake
Try something easy before you roll mesmer.
Like guardian, warrior or thief

in Mesmer

Phantasmagoria.2918

Are you playing mesmer or chrono, what gear do you have, what builds are you using?

The difficulties you’re describing are things that should not happen to a competent player with even severely outdated gear, so this is an issue with the way you’re playing the class, not the class itself.

Like I said, I used the character boost to 80 with the expansion so whatever gear they gave for that, and I don’t have a single point in chrono. Edit – Forgot to mention I’m currently trying a s/s /f phantasm build with Inspiration / Dueling / Domination

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

No.

in Mesmer

Phantasmagoria.2918

I’m not really interested in any other class but possibly elementalist or Druid. I typically play supports/heals

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Like I said, I used the character boost to 80 with the expansion so whatever gear they gave for that, and I don’t have a single point in chrono. Edit – Forgot to mention I’m currently trying a s/s /f phantasm build with Inspiration / Dueling / Domination

Well, you won’t contribute much to any party with that build just because mesmer mechanics are very poor. However, you shouldn’t be dying all the time, it should be very easy to stay alive.

I would recommend doing the HoT maps to unlock chrono, simply because you’ll need chrono to be an asset to any party. This is severe to the extent where I would happily kick any mesmer not using chrono from a party simply to avoid the dead weight. After that, I’d recommend looking up videos of the chrono buffing rotation, builds, gear, and so forth. Try and get ascended trinkets first, followed by weapons, then armor if you really want to.

Additionally try and watch the mobs that you’re fighting. Use dodges and sw2 to avoid their damage instead of facetanking things.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Havardmj.8570

Havardmj.8570

No.

Yes

in Mesmer

Phantasmagoria.2918

Well, you won’t contribute much to any party with that build just because mesmer mechanics are very poor. However, you shouldn’t be dying all the time, it should be very easy to stay alive.

I would recommend doing the HoT maps to unlock chrono, simply because you’ll need chrono to be an asset to any party. This is severe to the extent where I would happily kick any mesmer not using chrono from a party simply to avoid the dead weight. After that, I’d recommend looking up videos of the chrono buffing rotation, builds, gear, and so forth. Try and get ascended trinkets first, followed by weapons, then armor if you really want to.

Additionally try and watch the mobs that you’re fighting. Use dodges and sw2 to avoid their damage instead of facetanking things.

Ultimately I’d like to be a chrono, so I guess I will work on that first then. It’s more support like and that’s the style I want. I just figured cause I have a whole set of yellow weapons/armor that I could do a level 30 dungeon haha.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

Surviving in any non-raid setting should be easy. I do upper level (t4) fractals with my mesmer all the time in zerker gear, feel that my damage is fine, rarely die, and no one complains if I slack on bringing support wells. Generally, unless you are doing raids, the profession you play has little impact on survivability or group dps (to an extent), it’s all about experience

(edited by Alex Shatter.7956)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

No.

Yes

Besides power shatter what’s hard to play? Condi? No. Boon share? No.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

No.

Yes

lol, you think Mesmer is the hardest? The class with phantasms, clones, stealth, F3 daze, F4 invuln, dps evade, shield4 2x block, blink, stealth, and ground target reflect walls? I hope you’re trolling.

In all seriousness OP: this is just a learn to play issue. You’ll learn over time.

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

in Mesmer

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

I wouldn’t say HARDEST class to play but it’s up there. Mesmer rotations are not forgiving if you kitten up, you will lose a ton of DPS, and you may die if you are tanking. If you want a more support build, I suggest commanders gear, with zerk trinkets.

Inspriration, Illusions, And Chronomancer.