[Build] The Tormentor

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Darkfalcon.8176

Darkfalcon.8176

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNAW7alknpRtlpxINcrNysBZyKsCUnktEzSGgkB-T1xCAB1pbAgLCAz7PEp6PJqEMLlfT/EAIFwiSjA-w

So far this is my build using the new illusion GM trait. It can keep 5 stacks of torment or more on a target and is extremely devastating in small group fights. It can keep torment and confusion on 1 target or whole groups of them. Then you can watch as they basically self destruct.

Build – The last trait is Maim the Disillusion and the 2nd staff sigil is Corruption. The main difference between this build and others with the same trait is Rampagers gear instead of Rabid. I like it better because the extra power bonus makes you shatters do more damage, they aren’t just for the conditions, but the build will work fine with Rabid. Also this build works perfectly fine in PvE as well (since so many people hate condi builds in dungeons). As far as traits go the 6 in illusion and 4 in dueling is a must. The other 4 make no difference but taking Chaotic Dampening is useful for getting out more clones. And if they ever fix IE staff clones will be that much more useful. Torch can be used but the pistol works much better with Rampager gear and stacks a large amount of bleeds to add to the condition damage. The Utilities are totally up to you. I know a lot of people like null field. I personally prefer the mantra but its really up to you. Dire trinkets are for more defense cause I cant stand be squishy. If you would rather have more damage just go full Rampager.

The play style is simple. Summon and shatter. I mainly stay in scepter/pistol when trying to dish out damage and switch to staff for defense. In PvP its a bit harder since we don’t have torment runes or sigil, but its still useful with undead or night mere. Rampager in PvP. Will take a bit more work but should get the job done.

Edit I have stopped using maim in PvP altogether at this point. Without torment runes or sigil I feel like there are better options.

I don’t want to bore anyone with a overly long post so just tell me what you guys think!

(edited by Darkfalcon.8176)

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phlakez.5817

Phlakez.5817

I am running atm full rabid with a 0 4 2 2 6 build… but i am testing so much to make it work. Tested so many builds today and tbh i felt more comfortable with my Power PU build before. Dont want to give up my GS (missing my Twilight :<).
Using arcany thievery and Mantra heal for condi cleanse, scepter torch to get more confusion stacks up. But i am missing the pressure… needs a lot of testing

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: jenzie.4083

jenzie.4083

I tried a 0/6/2/0/6 with staff/sc+p and torment runes/sigil (wv3) got 12 stacks of torment on a guard when testing, he melted. Rabid armor and some dire trinkets. Quite fragile but there is a lot of confusion and torment raining down. Guardians, warriors and Rangers are hilarious to fight now that they die when trying to run away. Think it could work with gs too for more bleeds. The three mantra thing is fantastic there too.

For insanse amount of condition cleansing the 2 points in chaos can be moved to inspiration for Menders Purity.

Edit: fixed to correct (new format) build numbers and menders purity idea.

(edited by jenzie.4083)

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pwent.2639

Pwent.2639

Ida

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

A few things:
Instead of Desperate Decoy take Far Reaching Manipulations (for Blink). The decoy won’t do much for you, the manipulations will allow you to maybe blink to higher ground out of sight or go somewhere where the enemy won’t be able to follow you in a direct line.
Instead of Illusionary Defense, I think it would be much better to get debilitating dissipation, if the clones get killed, they aren’t useless and you have a lot more condition variety.
The pistol is kind of meh to me personally in a condition build, I think it would be better to swap it for torch, more stealth, burn and confusion. You do get bleeds from pistol but if you’ll switch over to dire gear like I suggest, it won’t crit that often and torch generally has more utility IMHO. Pistol could be useful for interrupting heals though. Both are viable, I just prefer torch personally.

Instead of ether feast, take the mantra, the torment on heal will proc when you charge the mantra, when you use it the first time and when you use it the second time. Though, I’d go for more condition variety, too much focus on torment this way, get perplexity maybe, traveler are also great for extra mobility..

I’d recommend going for dire gear instead of rampager. You’re trying to do two things at once (be a power and a conditions build) which doesn’t exactly work that well in most cases. Hybrid builds can be made but they’re never as solid as builds that focus on one thing.
Two corruption sigils aren’t needed. One on staff is enough, it won’t remove the stacks after you weapon swap, I’d recommend taking Bursting as it will give you more condition damage.
Torment sigils are okay, they will add more torment but I think you should really go for more condition variety, making torment harder to strip. If you stack up tons of torment and it’s the only condition you stack, one condition clear will remove it, while if you have multiple conditions, the others may get removed, keeping the torment on your target. So something like Doom (either dual or keep 1 torment)

This build will work, but why not get the standard PU condition build? I’ve talked with Pyroatheist about a similar build to yours and he pointed out a lot of things I’d loose vs. what I would get from a build like this (loosing PU, cripple on clone death..) thus it making much more sense to go for standard PU condi.
Again, this build will work and played well will kick kitten , but there are better builds. The trait is placed really badly making it almost impossible(haven’t really sat down and brainstormed a bit about what we could do so I can not say for sure.) to get a build that doesn’t sacrifice a lot and gives you the ability to pick this trait up. I do however think that this is the lowest sacrifice setup compared to what you get.

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

Instead of Illusionary Invigoration, I’d take Illusionary Elasticity. Clone attacks now bounce as well (yes it’s been fixed)

I don’t know in what parallel universe you exist, but I just tested it again for the millionth time and it most certainly has NOT been fixed.

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: derbaer.1284

derbaer.1284

Wait, what did you write there between the lines? Illusionary elasticity is fixed for staff clones?

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

It seems to work for me. I haven’t counted the bounces but I get the feeling that I get a lot more conditions applied on my target than before the patch. It could be placebo effect as I heard that it’s fixed. Sorry for that if it really isn’t fixed, I’ll edit my post.
Have a wonderful rest of the day, happy gaming!

Pineapples rule

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Magi.8643

Magi.8643

Rabid gear is better overall for a mesmer condition build due to are on crit procs for sharper image and critical infusion traits.

You do however only need 1 torment sigil, your better of using torment and doom on 1 weapon set and doom and energy on the other, this will give you a regular poison and a mini vigor for more clone generation.

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Darkfalcon.8176

I changed the 4 in Chaos to 2 in inspiration for the condition heal and 2 in domination for more damage. I also took phantasmal fury so my illusion crit more often for the bleed. I know Rabid or Dire is better for a condition Mesmer, however i’m trying to be a hybrid so it isn’t completely shut down by condi-proff eles and guardians, and is still useful in dungeons. The mantra Heal isn’t that useful because the runes have a 20 sec cooldown.

(edited by Darkfalcon.8176)

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wraith.4103

Wraith.4103

The weapons you use are the same as my build I posted days ago: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Faust-s-Build-WvW-1v1-Support-Solo-camp
Its also a hybrid confusion/torment build.
Good to see someone else know how to use a good pistol!

A constructive criticism if you allow me: Not sure how you will deal with thieves and larger groups, looks a bit too squish for my taste.
I would take out chaotic dampening because illusionist celerity already make staff atk #2 reduced on cooldown and 50+ tough is nothing at all. With a extra 10 points you can get Menders purity and inspiration. So you get mantra of recovery as main heal, it will clean 2 condi each use (has 2 use as base) and also apply the torment from your runes.

Adrian Faust – Human Mesmer
—-—Art Of Invasion [ART]——-
Gate of Madness

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nazer.7301

Nazer.7301

My current version for spvp/tpvp

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNArfWlknpRtdqxMNUrRitBZqLcqag6h8jVWyAMMA-TZRFwAAOBAK3fIaZAEHCAFPBAA

travelers is my swap for more mobility if i have to roam

(edited by Nazer.7301)

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Darkfalcon.8176

As much as I have tried maim in PvP, a lockdown build or PU always feels a lot more effective. I’m hoping at some point they add more sigils and runes to PvP.

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Nazer.7301

Will maim be as effective as IP, PU or lockdown? I doubt it but it is fun to play.

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

In my opinion, The torment stacks need to be improved from the trait. 3 stacks (at best) for a Grandmaster trait just isn’t worth it . It just seems rather weak. It needs to be 2 stacks per illusion.

The tooltip seems bugged as well. The damage according to my tooltip odesnt change if they are standing still or moving, anyone else getting this?

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Nazer.7301

I have been using it for a week now in spvp and the tooltip is broken (shocked!). My previous builds were always power shatter osi builds. If your used to shatter builds its not that bad at getting stacks on but I agree that it is weak. It is really fun to play condi shatter though, almost makes up for the weak stacks.

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Murakami.5243

Murakami.5243

Golden Company X I I I [GC]
Developer of GW2 WvW for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/gw2-wvw/id653987126?mt=8

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Not too bad of a trait. Just a pointer for you, you tend to drop your chaos storm too early and waste it. You should really drop it on both yourself and your target when in melee range.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

You would probably be better off taking sword/torch + scepter/pistol really, which would allow you to root whenever you wanted to shatter. You could then remove the 10 points from Chaos and put it into Inspiration to get Mender’s Purity, which in turn would allow you to drop Mantra of Resolve in favour of Mirror Images so your torment burst potential becomes much higher. You could then take Mantra of Recovery to increase condi removal as well as allow instant proc of on-heal torment whilst shattering.

Gandara

[Build] The Tormentor

in Mesmer

Nazer.7301

Thought this thread might be relevant with the upcoming changes.