[Builds] Fay's List of Builds & Guides

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Awww… how anti-climatic. I thought you some how conjured a mantra-confusion build :p

That would be so awesome if they made a confusion mantra or a trait that adds confusion to mantra of pain or something. Sadly mantras and condition builds aren’t really compatible for now. They are mostly for power and support builds.

Maybe we should poke some devs to revamp Mantra of Concentration to be about conditions instead. There are maybe a couple of occasions where Mantra of Concentration is really of use. Maybe if they made the stability last a long time then it could be past on with Signet of Inspiration in a support build and not be an entire waste but a revamp to be condition build compatible would be nice as well.

On another note, I just finished shooting some more videos for the Panacea support mantra build and am editing them as we speak so expect a video tutorial on it in next couple of days \o/

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Mesmer

Posted by: FLIMP.8172

FLIMP.8172

Mantra of Confusion! AoE 3 stacks of confusion yeh yeh (like asuras’ pain inverter)

More videso \o/

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Thanks for all the great builds and guidance, Fay.

I’ve been experimenting with Scepter but from a power build perspective. I like to fight from range, so I have been trying Greatsword and Scepter/Pistol. Combining this with 30 points in domination and using mantra of distraction is pretty fun. If I start off with mirror blade, shatter that clone with diversion, and then hit mantra of distraction, I’m up to 13 stacks of vulnerability. Then it’s pretty quick to get off berserker, switch to scepter/pistol, cast duelist, hit magic bullet, and then do confusing images on the scepter. I’m assuming magic bullet should give the “inactive” state that’s needed for Wastrel’s Punishment (I would love the “definitive” answer to what triggers this skill). It’s easy to toss in three shots of mantra of pain in that sequence as well.

I like how you’ve managed to create a totally new build around scepter. I’m really curious to see how the patch turns out.

Thx again for all the great info – I learn a lot from you!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Does running 30/20/0/20/0 provide more damage than 20/30/0/20/0? I’ve been running the latter for some time in dungeons, as it provides the additional +4% damage per readied mantra, while still being able to swap to reflect focus if needed.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

Thanks for all the great builds and guidance, Fay.

I’ve been experimenting with Scepter but from a power build perspective. I like to fight from range, so I have been trying Greatsword and Scepter/Pistol. Combining this with 30 points in domination and using mantra of distraction is pretty fun. If I start off with mirror blade, shatter that clone with diversion, and then hit mantra of distraction, I’m up to 13 stacks of vulnerability. Then it’s pretty quick to get off berserker, switch to scepter/pistol, cast duelist, hit magic bullet, and then do confusing images on the scepter. I’m assuming magic bullet should give the “inactive” state that’s needed for Wastrel’s Punishment (I would love the “definitive” answer to what triggers this skill). It’s easy to toss in three shots of mantra of pain in that sequence as well.

I like how you’ve managed to create a totally new build around scepter. I’m really curious to see how the patch turns out.

Thx again for all the great info – I learn a lot from you!

I believe Wastrel’s trait refers to when someone isn’t using abilities for example when they are stunned or dazed.

I like the idea of using scepter as a power weapon my only concern is that confusion doesn’t last an awful long time so you want it to do as much damage as possible when your foe does use an ability so I always prefer using it with a condition build. I think scepter is kind of in the middle in regards to power and condition which is a very strange mix to say the least and both are feasible, I guess if I want to do power damage I just much prefer sword for that.

Does running 30/20/0/20/0 provide more damage than 20/30/0/20/0? I’ve been running the latter for some time in dungeons, as it provides the additional +4% damage per readied mantra, while still being able to swap to reflect focus if needed.

Because the 4% Damage is dependent on how many mantras you have readied and because you are constantly using them it doesn’t allow for a reliable damage increase where as with Harmonious mantras you can use more mantras more reliably especially the extra daze is very useful.

I think the 4% damage one would be most desirable in conjuction with Harmonious mantras but this basically means you are far more berserker than you really want to be as a mantra mesmer. It could be a feasible option in a hybrid build where you compromise one of you mantras for survival utility which means 3x less mantras readied.

Certainly it’s possible but I found that without restorative mantras and the additional vitality/healing that you become far too vulnerable. It’s a careful balance game between doing enough damage to do bursts effectively and not being too vulnerable as you can’t hide behind your clones as much you need some additional protection. 2600+ healing every time you cast your mantras is VERY nice.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Mesmer

Posted by: Magnnus.5169

Magnnus.5169

For the Hecate build, what ascended trinkets are recommend? Given that there are no valkyrie trinkets I’ve been considering either the berserker/valkyrie for more damage or the celestial trinkets for more defense/support.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

Sorry for the late reply, I checked your comment but I was busy so I couldn’t respond and then I forgot (/facepalm). You will probably want to go for berserker or maybe mix the two?

Also I’ve added a new build to the website called Athena that I theorycrafted with Miku. It’s mostly a PvP build so check it out! (Do note this build is for general sPvP and tPvP solo fun and not so much top level competitive group tPvP. That said it’s a very viable fun PvP build)

As for the video for Panacea build, I finished it but I didn’t like the results. So instead I will shortly be placing pictures to illustrate some of things discussed in the various builds as I feel some of the topics I want to illustrate aren’t lengthy enough to compile into a decently flowing video.

(Also just noticed the build is similar to Pyroatheist. Great minds think alike!)

(edited by Fay.2735)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

What is this Fay? You didn’t think to throw mantras into it? :-p

Am I going to have to try to theorycraft the Mantras by myself now gasp we’re doomed! ;-)

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

What is this Fay? You didn’t think to throw mantras into it? :-p

Am I going to have to try to theorycraft the Mantras by myself now gasp we’re doomed! ;-)

Haha! The problem with mantras at the moment is that apart from mantra of distraction they aren’t great in sPvP because they lack the oompf they need to be competitive (compared to other utility) and without blink you don’t have a way to cast them without being easily interrupted.

So to forge a solid pvp build I ended up having to forgo mantra of distraction mainly because I needed nullfield to be competitive versus high boon professions like d/d ele and bunker guardians and those builds that dish out a lot of conditions and I wanted Mirror Images over Blink for extra distraction and emergency shatter material (not to mention the stun breaker).

That said you can definitely attempt to replace mirror images with mantra of distraction and then using blink instead of nullfield. I just found that I stood no chance versus Ele’s when I did that.

I’m pretty certain they will eventually boost mantras up a bit to make them more viable in sPvP at which point I will use them in sPvP with a vengeance. However mantras are still amazing for dungeons/pve and the support you get from them with Restorative Mantras is amazing, certainly nothing to laugh at. They can also be really great in WvW for roaming and zerg support. I just really tried to make them work for PvP and I was finding it hard to do so and only really found good use for Mantra of Distraction.

(edited by Fay.2735)

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

I was more thinking along the lines of playing “rope-a-dope” with my opponent while my phantasms killed them. Using the weapons from Pyroatheist’s build (sword+pistol, scepter+sword), you have 2 blocks, blurred frenzy, and a stun on low cooldowns. This will prevent a good bit of damage. If on top of that you’re healing for 2.5k pretty consistently (cycle Mantra of Recovery and Mantra of Pain), then you’re going to be one tough pain in the butt to take down.

All theory at the moment though. I have enough builds I’m testing right now, so this is backlogged for me :-/

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

I know what you mean theory-crafting for mesmers is so much fun but in practice it also needs to work well. I’ve had occasions where I theory-crafted a build but then although it sounds nice in theory it doesn’t really work in practice. So that’s always the danger. For example I’ve actually theory-crafted a scepter/torch and sword/pistol hybrid a while back but because I was compromising both too much neither one was effective enough. It might work now with the changes to scepter and torch though.

(edited by Fay.2735)

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Yep :-)

I wish I could just kidnap you and a few other Mesmers around here and throw you on Ehmry Bay and in our teamspeak.

I used to have 2 guildies that would theorycraft with me all day while we played, but life has nabbed them both from GW2 at the moment (darn busy life! almost got me too!)

I’m torn between theorycrafting on my Mesmer, testing out the builds, acquiring gear I don’t have for specific oddball ideas, and my Ranger. Currently trying to help the Ranger community out to get sort of righted. Ranger bugs have jaded that community quite a bit.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

Yep :-)

I wish I could just kidnap you and a few other Mesmers around here and throw you on Ehmry Bay and in our teamspeak.

I used to have 2 guildies that would theorycraft with me all day while we played, but life has nabbed them both from GW2 at the moment (darn busy life! almost got me too!)

I’m torn between theorycrafting on my Mesmer, testing out the builds, acquiring gear I don’t have for specific oddball ideas, and my Ranger. Currently trying to help the Ranger community out to get sort of righted. Ranger bugs have jaded that community quite a bit.

Or you could just join me on Desolation! as I said though I’m more than happy to come stalk on teamspeak some time. Wouldn’t mind having a theorycrafting session with some of the top mesmers in the community.

As for rangers. You guys are lucky! You have the infamous flailing arm dev Robert Hrouda on your side! Us mesmers can be but jelly at this!

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Nah, Ehmry Bay has the better community (I may be biased, lol).

I’ll have to get you some teamspeak info as soon as you have a mic. I’m not a big fan of talking in mic while reading what the other person says. Makes for an uneven conversation.

As far as rangers being lucky. Yes and no. Rangers have the potential to be a very powerful class. However, they suffer from inefficient (or downright bad) traits, buggy pet AI, and some useless utilities. Now, despite that, they are still good in small pvp fights and if my pet is doing what he’s supposed to, I can tear you apart. It’s when my pet has trouble with a target that is moving even when it is slower than him (why?! lol), takes me pressing F2 as a “suggestion” instead of a command, or just stares blankly at something shiny on the horizon.

Honestly, when pets are working well, I hate them on my Mesmer as they aren’t fooled by my stealth and my clones … they stick to my big, sexy Norn rump.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

Sounds biased and yea ranger pets or my bane together with rock dogs they just stick on you like glue so annoying haha

As for the f2 thing I always felt it took forever for pets to respond to it. Kind of as annoying as Illusionary Leap failling half the time for various reasons. These are bugs that really need to be addressed. Responsiveness and reliability of skills are very important.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Sounds biased and yea ranger pets or my bane together with rock dogs they just stick on you like glue so annoying haha

As for the f2 thing I always felt it took forever for pets to respond to it. Kind of as annoying as Illusionary Leap failling half the time for various reasons. These are bugs that really need to be addressed. Responsiveness and reliability of skills are very important.

Yeah, with them wanting this to become an esport, you’ think responsiveness and reliability would be higher priorities.

I’ve been spending more time on the Ranger lately simply because he has better mobility and I need a change of pace for a while.

A guildmate was having trouble with a Mesmer last night, so I told her “just hit the one my pet is following, he’s never fooled”. It worked like a charm :-)

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

Yeah, with them wanting this to become an esport, you’ think responsiveness and reliability would be higher priorities.

I’ve been spending more time on the Ranger lately simply because he has better mobility and I need a change of pace for a while.

A guildmate was having trouble with a Mesmer last night, so I told her “just hit the one my pet is following, he’s never fooled”. It worked like a charm :-)

Ranger pets are such hackers! but yes it’s a pretty good way to see where the real mesmer is. To be honest I wish they would fix that because it’s so annoying! As far as I know though Rangers are good in pvp and pretty decent in pve but are pretty lackluster in WvW. I think all professions could do with some balancing here and there.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

I’ve made some adjustments to my sPvP build after I’ve been playing it extensively and made a few changes here and there. I renamed it ’Fay’s Build’ after it was dubbed as such during this Arenanet Livestream and was also used during this Mistleague match. I’m going to be recording some of the matches I do regularly to demonstrate the build in action and you can get a better understanding of how it works.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nandor The Stampede.1593

Nandor The Stampede.1593

Hey fay, Im wondering if your builds are still viable after the big patch recently. Im new to mesmer and Im looking for some pointers.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amaterasu.6280

Amaterasu.6280

Just a fyi, your image for your spvp build does not reflect 10/30/0/25/5.

Kuro – Thief – NA
Undercoverism [UC]

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

Hey fay, Im wondering if your builds are still viable after the big patch recently. Im new to mesmer and Im looking for some pointers.

They’re still mostly viable, the only one I’m not sure about as I haven’t played it for a while is Kydoi but I’m thinking of changing that up anyway. The sPvP build isn’t super viable anymore with the new condition meta, swapping decoy for phantasmal disenchanter helps but if you get blinded your entire phantasm goes on a long cooldown. As for the other builds they should all be viable I will be going over the ones I haven’t checked in detail to make sure and make any adjustments if required soon.

Just a fyi, your image for your spvp build does not reflect 10/30/0/25/5.

Thanks! I recently changed the image to reflect the celerity change but forgot to change the minor details.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nandor The Stampede.1593

Nandor The Stampede.1593

I’ve been leveling my mesmer a little here and here, however after talking to other players, most if not all of them said gs and sword/focus is the best combination for pve, dungeons, etc. which is going to be the main use of my memser.

I also looked at the hectate build and it seems the most useful again for pve, dungeons, fractals.

Do u have any thoughts or tips?

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

I’ve been leveling my mesmer a little here and here, however after talking to other players, most if not all of them said gs and sword/focus is the best combination for pve, dungeons, etc. which is going to be the main use of my memser.

I also looked at the hectate build and it seems the most useful again for pve, dungeons, fractals.

Do u have any thoughts or tips?

Hecate is a deviation from the usual power builds because its a mantra build, I tend to devise builds that are slightly different from normal. It has the added support/damage from mantras while still having a lot of damage output and so it can be a fun and different play style from the usual Gsword, sword/focus which is pretty much the standard setup for PvE. Pistol is also good for dungeons for areas where there are single mobs rather than groups. I tend to swap off-hand a lot to be honest.

It depends a lot really on how you like to play and what you enjoy more. Standard builds aren’t always the most fun to play. Both standard and non-standard builds can work great it’s all personal preference really.