Chasing down an elementallist!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Well, most people whine on about Elementallists being impossible to catch, but I can catch them with a Mesmer, and kill them. Takes some effort if they are D/D, but staff ones will drop. Anyway, this is chasing them, not killing them so:
1. Make sure you trait for Blink Range and cooldown.
2. Use Staff & Sword/Focus
3. Utilities make sure you have Blink and Decoy,

How to catch them:
1. Blink up to them, or as close are you can.
2. Use #4 of the focus to pull them into it, and to give yourself swiftness.
3. Use #5 of the staff about 300 Range infront of them, it will put Chilled Weakness and Cripple on your foe, to slow them down.
4. Use #3 of the sword to Immobilize your foe, then finish them off with #1 and #2 with the sword. If they try to escape, blink again, as its only a 24s cooldown, and 1200 range should easilly catch them if they blink away or Ride the Lightning.

This will be able to catch them, good luck mesmers!

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aleph Naught.9034

Aleph Naught.9034

For D/D ones, step #3 (assuming you’re able to get to it) should be this:

3. /wave to them after they CC you and RTL away from you, since at that point you’re left crippled/chilled/knocked down with blink on CD and them being 1200 away.

Mild Delirium | Innuendum [ENDO] | Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

They get RtL on a shorter CD and the same range compared to our fully traited blink. They also have swiftness up the kitten Condition removal as well. No point in wasting traits/time trying to catch them.

^Had a lol at above post.

(edited by Turbo Whale.1738)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Worked for me as since as you put chaos storm on them you gain some distance on them while they are chilled/crippled and when in range you can use #3 of the sword to catch up to them, since blink is the same distance as their RTL, and their blink is only 900 range untraitable, and surely you can gain 300 range while they suffer from the conditions. If they cast anything on you, use Arcane Thievery to send it back to them. You can use Temporal Curtain as 600 range cast and 450 range pull so that will work if you can’t keep up and they are outside your range. If they RTL again, wait till your blink is ready then blink up to them and cast another chaos storm when its ready.
I’ve tried all this, and it has worked on D/D elementalliists.

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Like with any class a mesmer chases, you only catch them if they make a mistake. The whole “everyone can outrun you” thing comes with being the shell-less turtle mesmer is.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

Ok. Sorry for being negative earlier. Thanks for actually trying to stop them rather than complain

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

If there is a class that can easily kill D/D ele is mesmer <.<

Just daze him or even easier, Moa him.

Decoy also.

Do you know that the ele has issues to break stun also?
Yeah he has 3-4 long CD skills tobreak stun, but most of them are broken and won t break stun.

RTL at 1200 or even at more than 400 is easy as hell to avoid, so is churning earth (just shatter and you stop the ele…..or roll away).

Or its fun to counter RTL with GS 5 also

P.S. chilled and cripple are not a good idea instead….they can cleanse conditions quite easily unless you can put more than 2 at once like necro.
A good stacking of conditions is a good tactic but needs more than 2.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

In WvW I can easily beat any Ele with gs permafrost build. However, I find it way more important to counter thieves and in fact I don’t bother to build against Eles at all, they are minor nuisance at most.

Spvp is trickier, but they also can’t run all over aimlessly, they have to be at points, etc.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

As someone who plays both a d/d ele and a mesmer, here are my thoughts:

The condition removals a cantrip build d/d elementalist has are:
1. 3 cantrips (Cleansing fire removes several)
2. Healing skill (removes one if GoEH or 8 if ER)
3. Attune to water (removes 2)
4. Dagger5 in water
5. Dodge in water

This is indeed a lot but there are weaknesses. The shortest CD on a cantrip is Lightning Flash (45 sec) so if an ele burns the, they are gone for some time. ER seems to be the more common healing skill and it is an extremely efficient cleanse, it is also however a channeled skill that removes per pulse and is very distinct so it can be interrupted, if an ele burns his heal just for chill/cripple removal, he’s probably either not that good numbers 3-5 are all tied in to water and both 4 and 5 have other uses (evade and heal) which will be sacrificed if they’re used to heal – the best time to burst an ele is just as he switches out of water, same goes for applying conditions.

As you might see, keeping conditions on an ele isn’t an easy thing although it can be done (especially since this is the max and requires both 30 in water and arcane). That said, I usually don’t bother trying to catch an ele in WvW if they’re running away, it’s the most mobile class vs. the least mobile (tied for last place with necros, they have more swiftness but no blink) and while mesmers are extremely good duelists they balance it out by having problems chasing after the initial burst with blink.

(edited by Rainu.6871)

in Mesmer

LordByron.8369

if you do 3 stacks of something you can just give him what you want afterwards and Killing the ele….

Despite the fact you described a full tank ele, that won t kill a glass cannon mesmer for sure (i tried it once….i met a warrior quite noob and i unleashed my most powerful combo on him…then i run away because i almost didn t see his HP going down ._.).

Most ele are balanced they will clean 2 condition easily…
If they clean more….Gratz you just put ele on full CD, now you can kill the ele….

Since forever ele knows they counterclasses are:
Mesmer
Necro
Ranger

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

Catching noob elementalists? Easy. Catching a d/d ele of equal skill? technically impossible.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bellocchi.4593

Bellocchi.4593

Catching noob elementalists? Easy. Catching a d/d ele of equal skill? technically impossible.

/thread

in Mesmer

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

errrr…. pretty sure that’s only possible because all their buffs are gone. You can’t pull through that stone armor thing/vapor and they can also teleport (well I presume that’s the most effective combination to make them uncatchable)

What I did when facing these arrogant d/d ele kittenes is acting noob and stack 16 confusions in one burst. Most of them don’t have condition remover( or if they do I can restack my confusion again) so they either have to back out, kill themselves or sacrifice their evasive skill to deal with me. It’s a win win.

(edited by DavyMcB.1603)

in Mesmer

LordByron.8369

errrr…. pretty sure that’s only possible because all their buffs are gone. You can’t pull through that stone armor thing/vapor and they can also teleport (well I presume that’s the most effective combination to make them uncatchable)

hint: both skills have issues…

Don t check skills on wiki and assume they work as intended….
You can find more in ele bug section….

Infact mist form doesn t break stun most times :|

also you are talking of 75sec CD skills….

Teleport is a weak version of blink…..

Finally is not that an ele has 20 skills…..they ll be almost Always 5-10 seconds away from most skills.

those really powerful have long CD (updraft, fire grab, earthquake)….its hard to kill an ele for players not familiar with eles……

What I did when facing these arrogant d/d ele kittenes is acting noob and stack 16 confusions in one burst. Most of them don’t have condition remover( or if they do I can restack my confusion again) so they either have to back out, kill themselves or sacrifice their evasive skill to deal with me. It’s a win win.

almost any ele has cond removals…..as i said stack 2-3 then use whatever you want to stay there….and you win….really try this before saying it doesn t work….

Its not that ele can equip so many skills on right bar to fill it with cantrips and cleansing.

GW2 balance:

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Their teleport is a “weak version of blink” that does damage. When did blink start doing damage?

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

It has a longer cooldown and they can’t trait it for 1200 range. No decent ele will ever use their flash for damage anyways.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Just no. Elementalists (D/D ones, S/D ones) will always outshine a mesmer, unless they’re glass canons, which is inexistant in tpvp.

Snow Crows [SC]

in Mesmer

LordByron.8369

Just no. Elementalists (D/D ones, S/D ones) will always outshine a mesmer, unless they’re glass canons, which is inexistant in tpvp.

oh well and the point of those posts?
why?
how?

Another way to catch an ele:
focus 4

example: Easy way to kill an ele in www
Focus 4 near an edge, GS 5 there you are you killed the ele.

Try an ele and look at all bugged skills he has and you’ll get why ele runs from good mesmers when they see one far.

I ve still to read wich ele skills you have problems with…..
Sword/focus is really great against ele…expecially if you use a shatter build.

Dunno if there are other weapons i use mesmers just since a month and i m just confident with those 2 weapons for now.

GW2 balance: