Chrono Phantasms

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: CobraPolo.1723

CobraPolo.1723

Hey All,

Probably a silly question. I’ve always run mesmer condi builds, always loved them. Love shatter but nothing like a good condi.

Does playing in PvE seem viable to run a condi chrono with phantasm focus?

so like either Inspiration/Illusion/Chrono or say Dueling/illusion/Chrono. If so what would you recommend for weapons for both options?

Cheers.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: parisnicholson.3684

parisnicholson.3684

I mostly play PvP, but in PvE I’ve been really enjoying a Chaos/Illusion/Chrono condi-shatter build with Staff + Scepter/Shield. I have perplexity runes to proc more confusion from shield-stuns and Im also using chronophantasma to keep myself alive longer (illusionary defense) and to have more shatter fodder. It works really well!

Lilac Arugg – Sylvari Mes in PvP since launch

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: Telekinesis.8312

Telekinesis.8312

best condi phantasm is duelist.. so.. there’s the main weapon :-)

i haven’t tried phantasm condi chrono yet, but the downfall imo is lack of aoe with trying to keep phantasms up, meaning less shatters.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: AlphatheWhite.9351

AlphatheWhite.9351

Hey All,

Probably a silly question. I’ve always run mesmer condi builds, always loved them. Love shatter but nothing like a good condi.

so like either Inspiration/Illusion/Chrono or say Dueling/illusion/Chrono. If so what would you recommend for weapons for both options?

Cheers.

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: careful, you might start another “viable” argument.

Open-world: condi is very viable.
Dungeons: meta is alacrity chronomancer, what you bring after that is just gravy. You can run condi if you want, and you’ll be just fine. There’s a solid argument in power’s favor, but since your personal dps is supplementary, and condi dps is decent, you’ll be fine. The only exception is reflect-heavy paths, where Assassins will dramatically outperform, and condi-hostile paths (like some Arah paths).
Raids: See Dungeons.

If you do roll condi in dungeons, though, absolutely use Sinister gear over the traditional Rabid. Not only does rabid make you more of an aggro target, but you need the extra power in order to damage objects (like graveling burrows). Fun fact: objects can’t be crit, so Sinister technically does the same damage as Power (minus trait/rune/sigil bonuses).

For a trait setup, I’d say Dueling/Illusions/Chrono is not optional. iDuelist is the only competitive condi phantasm, and that requires Dueling. Illusions is obv necessary for the shatter condis, and chrono is part of your premise (and is why you’re being brought in the dungeon anyway).

For weapons, I’d recommend Scepter/Pistol+Staff. If you want to go heavier into support, swap pistol for shield and use Staff clones/shatters as your primary condi application, swapping to shield to Tides of Time the raid.

For open-world PvE, condi Staff is one of the best soloing weapons in the game. I have so far managed to solo every champ I’ve come across in the HoT zones with my staff, sometimes even under reasonable trash mob pressure (heavy trash mobs makes it really tough). For dungeons/raids, staff clones are a much-needed backup in case your phantasms keep drawing aggro and getting squished, and staff is an essential defensive weapon if you’re relying on pistol instead of shield (since you lost all those defensive traits from Chaos).

For gear I’m still recommending Sinister, as it combines all the best stats (power for objects, precision for reflects, condi because you’re a condi build). I haven’t played around with Viper yet, but it’s possible Viper will outperform (especially with the nerf to condi duration food), though your reflects will be even weaker on it. Maybe a mix would be good.

For Runes, top competitors are Nightmare (with a Rampagers Orb in the 6th slot) and Berserker. More accessible options (read: cheap) are Undead and Krait, but do your math before you use them, because Krait might be overfilling on your condi duration and Undead won’t be netting you as much extra condi damage without Rabid gear.

Nightmare was the uncontested winner for Sinister before HoT in my opinion, but that 5%/5% from Berserker is…really tasty (fyi, the 5% damage affects reflects like Scholar does, but without the 90% health requirement that Scholar does).

(edited by AlphatheWhite.9351)

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: CobraPolo.1723

CobraPolo.1723

Dungeons: meta is alacrity chronomancer, what you bring after that is just gravy. You can run condi if you want, and you’ll be just fine. There’s a solid argument in power’s favor, but since your personal dps is supplementary, and condi dps is decent, you’ll be fine. The only exception is reflect-heavy paths, where Assassins will dramatically outperform, and condi-hostile paths (like some Arah paths).

If you do roll condi in dungeons, though, absolutely use Sinister gear over the traditional Rabid. Not only does rabid make you more of an aggro target, but you need the extra power in order to damage objects (like graveling burrows). Fun fact: objects can’t be crit, so Sinister technically does the same damage as Power (minus trait/rune/sigil bonuses).

For a trait setup, I’d say Dueling/Illusions/Chrono is not optional. iDuelist is the only competitive condi phantasm, and that requires Dueling. Illusions is obv necessary for the shatter condis, and chrono is part of your premise (and is why you’re being brought in the dungeon anyway).

For weapons, I’d recommend Scepter/Pistol+Staff. If you want to go heavier into support, swap pistol for shield and use Staff clones/shatters as your primary condi application, swapping to shield to Tides of Time the raid.

For open-world PvE, condi Staff is one of the best soloing weapons in the game. I have so far managed to solo every champ I’ve come across in the HoT zones with my staff, sometimes even under reasonable trash mob pressure (heavy trash mobs makes it really tough). For dungeons/raids, staff clones are a much-needed backup in case your phantasms keep drawing aggro and getting squished, and staff is an essential defensive weapon if you’re relying on pistol instead of shield (since you lost all those defensive traits from Chaos).

For gear I’m still recommending Sinister, as it combines all the best stats (power for objects, precision for reflects, condi because you’re a condi build). I haven’t played around with Viper yet, but it’s possible Viper will outperform (especially with the nerf to condi duration food), though your reflects will be even weaker on it. Maybe a mix would be good.

For Runes, top competitors are Nightmare (with a Rampagers Orb in the 6th slot) and Berserker. More accessible options (read: cheap) are Undead and Krait, but do your math before you use them, because Krait might be overfilling on your condi duration and Undead won’t be netting you as much extra condi damage without Rabid gear.

Nightmare was the uncontested winner for Sinister before HoT in my opinion, but that 5%/5% from Berserker is…really tasty (fyi, the 5% damage affects reflects like Scholar does, but without the 90% health requirement that Scholar does).

Wow ty everyone for all the info. much appreciated.

Think I might try Duelling (3-1-3), Illusions (2-3-1), chrono (2/3-3-1)

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drederik.5679

Drederik.5679

Hey All,

Cheers.

This is some great info and insight. Thanks so much for posting this. Any chance you could put up your open world/dungeon/raid builds?

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

I normally agree with Alpha when it comes to condi builds, but I have to insist you guys try something a little different when using Chrono.

The best hybrid (aka Sinister) damage setup I’ve tested so far for solo/open world-

Dueling 1 1 2 (thats right! lolmistrust)
Illusions 1 3 3
Chrono 2 3 3

Scepter + focus and pistol

The warden is actually really great at stacking bleeds, its AoE, blocks projectiles and does really solid physical damage. It becomes all about timing your shatters at the end of your phantasms’ attacks.

The scepter rarely screws you over because you’re shattering so often.

You don’t need DE in this build, so may as well grab mistrust. Both the pistol and the focus have great interrupt skills with relatively low cooldowns also (especially with alacrity).

I take the super speed illusions because it helps to reset my phantasms faster. I dont like the wells for solo play.

I haven’t done the math (mostly because i’m not sure where to even start) to see if DD would beat out PF with this setup. . . but I’m just rolling with PF for now.

I strongly suggest giving it a try. It is super fast-paced and does solid AoE damage (for a Mesmer build).

(edited by Mikkel.8427)

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

I normally agree with Alpha when it comes to condi builds, but I have to insist you guys try something a little different when using Chrono.

The best hybrid (aka Sinister) damage setup I’ve tested so far for solo/open world-

Illusions 1 3 3
Chrono 2 3 3

The warden is actually really great at stacking bleeds, its AoE, blocks projectiles and does really solid physical damage. It becomes all about timing your shatters at the end of your phantasms’ attacks.

You don’t need DE in this build, so may as well grab mistrust. Both the pistol and the focus have great interrupt skills with relatively low cooldowns also (especially with alacrity).

I take the super speed illusions because it helps to reset my phantasms faster. I dont like the wells for solo play.

I haven’t done the math (mostly because i’m not sure where to even start) to see if DD would beat out PF with this setup. . . but I’m just rolling with PF for now.

I strongly suggest giving it a try. It is super fast-paced and does solid AoE damage (for a Mesmer build).

Maaannn, I just can’t see it with Mistrust. Until they let us proc interrupt traits on breakbar mobs, it just feels like a potential liability.
And giving up my ability to kite champs…I just dunno. I do see a lot more mob crowds in the Brink than I did in SW, but…ugh.

As far as DD vs PF, that will all depend on your iDuelist vs iWarden balance. If you’re getting enough wardens up, and they’re actually getting their full attack off on their targets, then PF will certainly outperform, especially with Chronophantasma/PoM evening the playing field between the Duelist and Warden on cycle speed.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Mikkel.8427

Not being able to proc our interrupt traits on breakbar mobs REALLY sucks, but you dont need DE with the build. Mistrust is kinda just fluff.

I have not had problems soloing most champs and its been a lot easier taking on groups of mobs. I’m just killing things faster in general after ditching staff. Staff is great, but the buildup time is sooo sloooow.

I actually saw a 4.2k burning during a group event boss fight which made me laugh. Between Duelist being a projectile finisher and warden being a whirl finisher there is a lot of condi stacking potential between them.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

I actually saw a 4.2k burning during a group event boss fight which made me laugh. Between Duelist being a projectile finisher and warden being a whirl finisher there is a lot of condi stacking potential between them.

Nothing in your build applies burning…

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: Maxzero.4032

Maxzero.4032

Illusions 1 3 3
Chrono 2 3 3

Maaannn, I just can’t see it with Mistrust. Until they let us proc interrupt traits on breakbar mobs, it just feels like a potential liability.
And giving up my ability to kite champs…I just dunno. I do see a lot more mob crowds in the Brink than I did in SW, but…ugh.

As far as DD vs PF, that will all depend on your iDuelist vs iWarden balance. If you’re getting enough wardens up, and they’re actually getting their full attack off on their targets, then PF will certainly outperform, especially with Chronophantasma/PoM evening the playing field between the Duelist and Warden on cycle speed.

That’s something that has got me thinking.

Wardens whirl finisher is a 100% chance compared to Duelists 20% chance. We now have faster recharging combo fields to use them in. Add to that you can fix the long attack cool down times through Chronophantasma resets.

If we rely on Wardens’s more we can also move away from Duelist discipline and get Phantasmal Fury instead.

Stacking 3 constantly attacking Wardens in combo fields should make for some insane condition stacks. Just one double attack Warden can put 24 stacks of confusion out.

(edited by Maxzero.4032)

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

Illusions 1 3 3
Chrono 2 3 3

Wardens whirl finisher is a 100% chance compared to Duelists 20% chance. We now have faster recharging combo fields to use them in. Add to that you can fix the long attack cool down times through Chronophantasma resets.

If we rely on Wardens’s more we can also move away from Duelist discipline and get Phantasmal Fury instead.

Stacking 3 constantly attacking Wardens in combo fields should make for some insane condition stacks. Just one double attack Warden can put 24 stacks of confusion out.

The AOE potential is cool, but Wardens still have the problem wardens always had: they can’t hurt a moving target.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: Maxzero.4032

Maxzero.4032

Illusions 1 3 3
Chrono 2 3 3

The AOE potential is cool, but Wardens still have the problem wardens always had: they can’t hurt a moving target.

True but if we can keep a target in Lava Font for 6 seconds then the 5 second channel for Wardens should be workable.

(edited by Maxzero.4032)

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Mikkel.8427

That is what is funny about it. It was all from my duelists/wardens comboing other peoples’ fields.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

That is what is funny about it. It was all from my duelists/wardens comboing other peoples’ fields.

I just busted up laughing. I have never, once, considered that possibility. That’s awesome.
I mean, I’ve thought about the confusing bolts from time to time, but now that wardens can actually survive in boss fights, that’s just downright amazing. I wonder how that would change my dps comparisons between power and condi.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samurro.1463

Samurro.1463

Can somebody give me some hints or directions on how to play chrono effectively for open world?

I have little knowledge about mesmers in general, so much stuff which is discussed here makes no sense to me.

All I know is, i love Staff and would like to give Shield a try. Apart from that I love to be able to take down difficult enemies by myself if possible.

Edit:
To go into a bit more detail here in hope for some response.
So as I said, I really enjoy playing with the staff because it is ranged and I enjoy beeing able to use chaos armor twice etc. On the other hand I want to use the shield in order to fully understand its capabilites.

I am not sure which stat combination I should focus on, neither do I know which trait line I should chose. Chaos seems like Staff oriented, which I like.

As mentioned here and elsewhere, Mesmers main damage should come from phantasms. My main gripe I see with me weapon selection is, that besides of the Warlock there is no real offensive phantasm availble for staff + sw/shield?

(edited by Samurro.1463)

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: bochup.1476

bochup.1476

Illusions 1 3 3
Chrono 2 3 3

for this build ur using sinister with nightmare? wad abt weap runes?

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Mikkel.8427

At the time I wrote that post:

Full sinister
Malice on my scepter
Earth on focus
Corruption on pistol
Nightmare runes x5 + coral orb

Since then I’ve changed:

Viper weapons, feet, body and hands (+15% condi duration)
Compounding power → Persistence of Memory

When Berserker runes are fixed, I plan to change to:

Berserker Runes
Legs and Head to Viper
Corruption → Perception

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

bochup.1476

is this how u play,get 3 phantasm out and shattering them after they done attacking once? or jus shatter when 3 illu including AA clone, i found that its quite long waiting for phantasm to be cast again

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

is this how u play,get 3 phantasm out and shattering them after they done attacking once? or jus shatter when 3 illu including AA clone, i found that its quite long waiting for phantasm to be cast again

Phantasms attack immediately when summoned.
After the first shatter (with Chronophantasma), they are dazed for 1.5s before they can attack again.

Get used to a rhythm. May people wait until the phantasm attacks a second time before they shatter again, so that Persistence of Memory will drop the cooldown on the phantasm summon low enough to replace the phantasm.
You can keep up at least 2 phantasms constantly this way, and with some well-timed swapping you may be able to keep up 3 (I have not been able to do so reliably).

That said, it’s all about what you’re comfortable with.
I think it’s definitely worth waiting for your phantasm to attack right after you summon them before you shatter them the first time, after that it’s definitely up to you.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

bochup.1476

if theres 2 phantasm and 1 clone,ur sceptor AA clone will jus replace the clone, or the 1st phantasm that u summon? and also what skill do you all use on ur skillslots?

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

if theres 2 phantasm and 1 clone,ur sceptor AA clone will jus replace the clone, or the 1st phantasm that u summon? and also what skill do you all use on ur skillslots?

Clones will always replace clones, unless all three illusions are phantasms.

I use Signet of the Ether, Signet of Midnight, Well of Recall, Radiation Field and Signet of Humility.

For group stuff I swap Signet of Humility to Time Warp, and Radiation Field and Well of Recall could be anything really. Signet of Domination is good, Feedback when you need reflects, and any of the wells are great.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Mikkel.8427

The basic rotation for veteran+ mobs is:

Summon warden
Immediately Swap and summon Duelist
Shatter as soon as Duelist is done unloading
Shatter again about 1-2 secs after your Duelist is done unloading
Summon Duelist
Immediately swap and summon Warden
Let your warden channel for about 3-4 secs and shatter
shatter again about 1-2 secs after your duelist finishes unloading

repeat from the top

Obviously you use Scepter block and utilities as needed, and make sure to use confusing images off cooldown so long as it doesnt interfere with your phantasm rotation.

Chrono Phantasms

in Mesmer

Posted by: Squeezzy.4718

Squeezzy.4718

I’ve been running a sinister non-shattering build in dungeons that doesn’t interfere much with party alacrity and quickness rotations (except from the personal you get per shatter and the shield) and i think it does pretty decent damage.

I can stack up to 20 stacks of confusion and get around 3k bleed ticks while doing good physical damage and keeping party wide alacrity and quickness almost the entire fight. Basically I summon 2 wardens and 1 duelist and then stack and begin the regular wells rotation while i hack away with sword autos and blurred frenzy.
Since wells are all ethereal fields wardens and duelist stack confusion and sharper images takes care of the bleed on crits which are plenty.

I’m nowhere near hardcore enough, or good enough of a player to go around doing any math but its fun and it feels like i contribute to the fight a lot more than being a reflects bot that we used to be before.

*also 2 duelists and 1 warden work