Chronomancer Specialization

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mr Colin.1863

Mr Colin.1863

First of all, raises pitchfork “Shield sucks, yadayada”.

Second of all, ignoring all negative sides about us “not getting our 5 skills and missing piece of mesmer action” without knowing anything about specializations nor having the Mesmer shield confirmed, isn’t it an option that the Chronomancer will feature a locked combo of, presumably, a sword/shield combo.
Consider what we know up until now:
*All classes get 5 skills with their new weapon (Ele even more).
*Specializations lock you into one role.
*Things that are considered core to professions, e.g. shatters, ranger pets, etc. will change while locked in this specialization.
*Every class will already get extra utilities/elites/heals when locked into the specialization. Thereby excluding Mesmer (and presumably Warrior) will not receive extra utilities, but rather extra MH skills when in their specialization role.

Would it not be an option that the Chronomancer’s “Extra things to compensate” would entail the shield only be an option in combo with only one MH, as you fully take on the role of Chronomancer. So both your MH and the Shield skills will change, thereby giving you your extra 3 skills. This would make up for the fact we will not get a 2h-er, but rather 3 new skills for scepter OR sword (depending on which role a Chronomancer will have in HoT) when combined with Shield.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crey.5263

Crey.5263

So you are saying that similar to how a thief’s off hand manipulates the dual strike skill on the main hand, a chronomancers shield will manipulate one or more of the main hand weapon’s skills?

in Mesmer

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

First of all, raises pitchfork “Shield sucks, yadayada”.

Second of all, ignoring all negative sides about us “not getting our 5 skills and missing piece of mesmer action” without knowing anything about specializations nor having the Mesmer shield confirmed, isn’t it an option that the Chronomancer will feature a locked combo of, presumably, a sword/shield combo.
*Things that are considered core to professions, e.g. shatters, ranger pets, etc. will change while locked in this specialization.
*Every class will already get extra utilities/elites/heals when locked into the specialization. Thereby excluding Mesmer (and presumably Warrior) will not receive extra utilities, but rather extra MH skills when in their specialization role.

Would it not be an option that the Chronomancer’s “Extra things to compensate” would entail the shield only be an option in combo with only one MH, as you fully take on the role of Chronomancer. So both your MH and the Shield skills will change, thereby giving you your extra 3 skills. This would make up for the fact we will not get a 2h-er, but rather 3 new skills for scepter OR sword (depending on which role a Chronomancer will have in HoT) when combined with Shield.

Still not enough, Anet’s repeatedly nerfed Mesmers before the HOT expansion, and our trait skills have not much synergy for build diversity. Sure the Chronomancer might be way for Anet to make up to us (which I doubt, probably still kitten compare to other classes specialization), there are LOTS of work needed for Mesmers to be viable post HOT expansion.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I like the easy questions. Here’s the answer:

Don’t know. Can’t say.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

So uh, lets clear this up a little.

Problem is, almost everything that follows this statement is false.

This is false. Anet has stated that each class will get 1 new weapon. They have stated that some classes will only get an offhand, and those classes will get ‘something just as good as 3 extra mainhand skills’.

This is not something they’ve ever even hinted at.

I’m gonna go ahead and call this one false based on your terminology used. They’ve stated that class mechanics will be modified by the specializations, but they’ve never said any odd terminology like ‘being locked into’ a specialization.

*Every class will already get extra utilities/elites/heals when locked into the specialization.

They never said this. They simply said that along with specializations, classes will get new heal(s), utility(s), and elite(s).

Thereby excluding Mesmer (and presumably Warrior) will not receive extra utilities, but rather extra MH skills when in their specialization role.

I can’t understand what you’re trying to say here.

So basically…no. You’re wrong. I’m not discounting the possibility that the ‘something just as good’ will actually be just as good, I simply think that statement should be taken with a grain of salt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zarathustra.1458

Zarathustra.1458

Fay is right to be honest. I also think people are going a bit crazy with how they are thinking clones/phants may change. I think it is highly likely we will keep some form of pet mechanic. I myself hope we may get ai pulsing fields that can be targeted and destroyed, or be shattered by us to trigger a different effect. In this sense, we have kept the behaviour of our mechanic, but it has been altered into a different focus.

in Mesmer

Mr Colin.1863

Hiya Fay, first of all, we already know these things as they are on the GW2 page and as I said in my text, I’m merely considering this, I am well aware that this is speculation. Why on earth is this more wrong than any other post I have seen you post on, which considered more far-fetched ideas in regard to specializations and shield.

Now, your arguments against mine:

#This is not false. Every class will get 5 new skills on top of the new elite/healing/utility. “Jon Peters teased that classes getting an offhand would get something “just as good” as the extra three skills"
The classes that receive an offhand will receive 3 new skills to compensate for the fact that it is an offhand. This has been confirmed by GW2 themselves. So, through that, every class will get 5 skills for their new weapon. Correct? I am merely speculating what it could be.

#Why do you have a problem with the terminology of “locked in”. Combat locks you in, correct? As does a certain build? I am well aware one can change outside of combat, I am merely speculating that going for a specialization, as the name itself states, makes you an expert in one thing, but locks (yeah?) you out of something else.

#Okay, you got me there. Classes will get extra new utilities besides their specialization, rather than with. Woo kittening hoo.

#I am trying to say that, or hoping, that the utilities that every class already receives are good enough and Mesmers and Warriors will not be stuck with additional utilities just to make up for the fact we get an offhand. Considering the state of the current mesmer utilities, I rather have three new MH skills in combination with the new offhand, than even more utilities.

#I seriously don’t understand why you are so bloody negative. This is speculative. Everything right now is speculative. I am merely throwing up a suggestion. I am trying to say that when someone goes for the specialization, an idea might be that the “something just as good” might be three new mh skills related to an existing weapon, rather than getting three utilities on top of already new utilities.

Everyone on this bloody forum is so bloody negative.

(edited by Mr Colin.1863)

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

#This is not false. Every class will get 5 new skills on top of the new elite/healing/utility. “Jon Peters teased that classes getting an offhand would get something “just as good” as the extra three skills"
The classes that receive an offhand will receive 3 new skills to compensate for the fact that it is an offhand. This has been confirmed by GW2 themselves. So, through that, every class will get 5 skills for their new weapon. Correct? I am merely speculating what it could be.

I’m intensely curious as to how you turn ‘something just as good’ into ‘classes that receive an offhand will receive 3 new skills to compensate for the fact that it is an offhand’. I’m really honestly curious. There’s absolutely no way within any possible reasonable leap of logic that you can pull your statement out of Jon Peters’ statement. I haven’t seen such an obvious and direct misleading leap of logic since…well, since the blackdevil thread yesterday, but that’s sorta besides the point.

in Mesmer

Mr Colin.1863

And I’m intensely curious how you interpret speculative. On top of that, this quote was pulled off of reddit, fair enough. And has as little basis as anything posted on this forum in relation to HoT. This is why this is speculative. I am sorry for holding on to the belief that we will be compensated equally by Anet for getting an offhand. I am so terribly sorry.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

And I’m intensely curious how you interpret speculative. On top of that, this quote was pulled off of reddit, fair enough. And has as little basis as anything posted on this forum in relation to HoT. This is why this is speculative. I am sorry for holding on to the belief that we will be compensated equally by Anet for getting an offhand. I am so terribly sorry.

I think you’re completely misinterpreting what Jon Peters said in a rather amusing way. When JP said ‘something just as good’…he doesn’t mean literally the same thing. He means that the other stuff the class will be getting, in any form, will make up for the lack of 3 weapon skills. He’s not saying ‘yeah, since you guys don’t get 3 mainhand weapon skills, we’ll just give you 3 more, call it even’. That would be absurd.

in Mesmer

Mr Colin.1863

Fine, you think something. But rather than choosing to speculate with us or to hold the option to just wait and see what ANet has in store for the Mesmer, you decide to just go on this forum and give counterarguments to everything.

I get that we know nothing, I really do. I was merely trying to speculate/hope for something better in the future of the Mesmer. According to me, this ^ would be an option. Okay, you don’t agree. But there is no reason to be a kitten about it.

I also get that we are getting screwed if we merely get 2 offhand skills. ANet promised a compensation. The fact that you do not agree with the fact that this would entail three main hand weapon skills, okay, I can see that. But seriously guy/girl, why the constant negativity?

in Mesmer

Mr Colin.1863

And yes, I hope that the Mesmer will get a new MH weapon set if equipped with the shield. As this would, first of all, be awesome. Second of all, would not influence the way Thiefs 3 skill change according to MH/OH combo, as the Mesmer will only have this with 1 weapon combo. And third of all, would really make the specialization something that really makes an impression, because else the specialization would merely be Chronomancer = Shield + extras, rather than a full role, as for instance a Ranger Druid would be, with 5 new weapon skills + the extra’s that come with it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Well, you were saying things like what you’ve been speculating was confirmed, which is just… yeah.

Anyway, I speculate the “just as good” is perhaps an extra mechanic skill[meaning, an F5 Shatter, or whatever it is]. If Warriors have an OH, this can be assumed to be correct in that they apparently have an F2. Same with, perhaps, Elementalist since MH are just an AA away, numerically, from an OH, so if they have a 5th Attunement[or whatever].

(edited by Dondagora.9645)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wile.5024

Wile.5024

Would it not be an option that the Chronomancer’s “Extra things to compensate” would entail the shield only be an option in combo with only one MH, as you fully take on the role of Chronomancer. So both your MH and the Shield skills will change.

Yes, it’s a possibility, anything really is… I dont’ really see the point in guessing. +Like Fay said, pretty much everything you said in the first post is more or less false.

I can understand why ppl are being negative…. nerfs, useless traits, pushed out of the meta by hard counters, ~1 usable build, unfixed bugs (or “features”)…. I bet no one at anet even plays a mesmer. I’m having a hard time believing we’re getting something as good as the other classes in the expansion when I doubt they even know what that means.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

And yes, I hope that the Mesmer will get a new MH weapon set if equipped with the shield.

Speculate away, just know that they have explicitly said this is not happening.