Class Comparison: Vigor-on-crit

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Elementalist — Renewing Stamina: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Renewing_Stamina

• 5s Vigor on-crit (really 5.5 since it requires 2 traits points that gives +10% boon duration)
  • 5s ICD

Mesmer — Critical Infusion: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Critical_Infusion

• 5s Vigor on-crit
  • 10s ICD

This was one of the nerfs that never sat well with me on my Mesmer given how critical Deceptive Evasion is to several different types of Mesmer builds (not just shatter).

Now when I’m just looking at stuff I noticed this and can’t help but wonder “what the heck”. Why would they nerf Critical Infusion to have a 10s ICD but leave Renewing Stamina alone with an ICD shorter that is always at least 0.5s shorter than the duration of the Vigor is provides?

It’s not as if Mesmers have more sources of Vigor than Elementalists. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.

It’s not as if the Mesmer is stacking more of other boons than the Elementalist either. Again, in fact, it’s quite the opposite :-/

It’s not as if the Mesmer doesn’t need to dodge as much due to being able to stack protection and regeneration more than the Elementalist. Again, in fact, quite the opposite.

It’s not as if the Mesmer has more access to heals than the Elementalist :-/ Again, in fact, quite the opposite.

It’s not as if the Mesmer is one of the best-in-slot classes that is stacked (2+ taken) in

• (1) sPvP teams
  • (2) Record-breaking dungeons runs
  • (3) WvW GWEN

… that would be Elementalist again …

Bah :-/

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

(edited by Sebrent.3625)

in Mesmer

Posted by: NecroN.8306

NecroN.8306

I think they made it painfully obvious. They want us to play Elementalist..

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The elementalist also doesn’t have blurred frenzy on a 10 sec cd and his blink doesn’t break stuns, what’s your point.

Ele in berk gear also has 5k less hp than you do so he can literally get 1-shot by a thief’s backstab crit or a warrior’s eviscerate.

Take lupicus as an example. I fear very little of him on my sword/sword mesmer since not only do I have vigor, but a short cd block and blurred frenzy on top. Even if I waste a dodge I’ll be safe consistently while an ele might have to blow a 50 sec cd skill.

Now in PvP sure a celestial d/d ele is a whole different game, but you know other ele’s exist and they need those defenses, especially scepter eles and staff eles who are sitting ducks otherwise.

And it’s not a mesmer only thing, they treated the guardian the same way as mesmer.

The hilarious thing is meanwhile a s/d thief can evade spam, has an evade and root clear built into his heal, has a long vigor on heal (which is a short 15 sec cd), and with feline grace he gets 3 dodges per full bar of endurance instead of 2.

They nerfed mesmer/guard ranger and left the moest egregious case of evade spam, thieves, alone.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Pretty much what Zenith said but also pointing out that those eles that do go 6 in water and arcana are playing a bunker/support spec. Even with renewing stamina, tell me how many ele’s are running zerk fresh air or any other zerk builds in PvP? I think I only have heard of one and even then he kept getting focused to the point he switched if I remember correctly.

The problem isn’t the nerf to vigor uptime, it’s the necessity of the trait deceptive evasion to generate clones. If the trait was replaced by a trait that say reduced the cool down of clone generating skills (not including phantasms) by 5s for each clone killed then no-one would complain about lack of vigor.

(edited by apharma.3741)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Indrea.7803

Indrea.7803

Elementalist in berserker is very difficult to play, only celestial bunker is easy: Mesmers has got a lot of tools to evade attacks, the greatest is stealth…and don’t forget you have an invulnerability always on F4. You have also a lot of boons , use Prismatic Understanding and you can achieve a great survivability. Also, an elementalist needs to invest 10 points to take that triati, we need only 5.
My main is Mesmer but I play both in PvP (always berserker scepter/focus , I don’t like celestial).

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

Elementalist in berserker is very difficult to play, only celestial bunker is easy: Mesmers has got a lot of tools to evade attacks, the greatest is stealth…and don’t forget you have an invulnerability always on F4. You have also a lot of boons , use Prismatic Understanding and you can achieve a great survivability. Also, an elementalist needs to invest 10 points to take that triati, we need only 5.
My main is Mesmer but I play both in PvP (always berserker scepter/focus , I don’t like celestial).

No berserker mesmer takes PU, so the boon argument is moot.

It is indisputable that mesmers and necromancers have miserable access to boons and valuable combo fields/finishers, and rangers are not far behind in such dearth of boons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

It is indisputable that mesmers and necromancers have miserable access to boons and valuable combo fields/finishers, and rangers are not far behind in such dearth of boons.

I’ll give you combo fields and finishers. Boons, however … trust me, Thief’s got it worse than Mesmer. Luckily, they can snatch boons off of someone else.
Past that, I’d absolutely agree that DE and its overall necessity shag Mesmer over worse than anything vigor-related.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

@Zenith:
I agree that an Acrobatics Thief (current Sword+Dagger meta is 2/0/0/6/6) is ridiculous (though I love it when I’m on mine). I ran around in mine to test one day and am pretty sure I was either dodge rolling or evading with weapon/heal skills for at least a solid minute as I rotated using Endurance, Initiative, and my 15s cooldown … and that was without having the extra Vigor from traited Steal (or stealing from a Mesmer for all boons <_<). I just didn’t bring it up as that is not a straight comparison of on-crit Vigor traits.

I think comparing Elementalist defensive abilities is a slightly different topic. Sure, we have Blurred Frenzy on a nice cooldown and several blocks, but if and only if we are using those weapon sets. Elementalist is similar. They also have a far superior up-time on Protection for that additional 33% damage mitigation and more access to heals. Some of their builds also have far superior mobility and healing as well.

I just don’t see why their ICD should be 5s and ours 10s. If you look at their weapon skills and other traits, they have plenty of other sources of Vigor as well as sources of passive increased Endurance regeneration … not to mention the ability to be immune to critial hits :-/

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Indrea.7803

You need to invest a lot of points in arcana and water (30/30) to achieve such defensive abilities: actually ,“meta” consists in celestial D/D or staff with 0/0/10/30/30; if you remove this build, other elementalist builds are very difficult to play because defensive abilities are less than Mesmer’s one (and also they don’t have portal) even if they have vigor trait with icd at 5s.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Elementalist Staff

• Burning Retreat: mobility and 1s evade … 20s cd
  • Geyser: healing … 20s cd
  • Healing Raid: healing + cleanse … 40s cd
  • Lightning Surge: blind … 10s cd
  • Gust: knockback … 30s cd
  • Magnetic Aura: reflection … 30s cd
  • Unsteady Ground: unpassable ground … 30s cd

MH Dagger

• Burning Speed: mobility and 0.75s evade … 15s cd
  • Cone of Cold: healing
  • Shocking Aura: stun when hit (at most once every 2s) … 25s cd

Scepter

• Pheonix: cleanse and vigor … 20s cd
  • Water Trident: healing … 20s cd
  • Blinding Flash: blind … 10s cd
  • Rock Barrier: significant amount of toughness … 15s cd
  • Dust Devil: blind … 15s cd

OH Dagger

• Frost Aura: Damage reduction and chill attackers … 40s cd
  • Cleansing Wave: healing and clease … 40s cd
  • Ride the Lightning: mobility … 40s cd
  • Updraft: launch and 1s evade … 40s cd
  • Earthquake: knockdown … 40s cd

Focus

• Comet: daze … 25s cd
  • Swirling Winds: projectile block … 30s cd
  • Gale: knockdown … 50s cd
  • Magnetic Wave: reflection and cleanse … 25s cd
  • Obsidian Flesh: invulnerability … 50s cd

They have plenty of defenses just from their weapons. They have longer cooldowns but that is to offset having double the number of weapon sets (e.g. 4 attunements to our 2 equipped weapon sets).

I also ignored their capability for spamming Weakness … and that they can be traited to be immune to crits (hello berserker builds … 2/3 of your stats mean nothing to me).

This is not an “Elementalists are OP!” thread …

I simply do not see what warrants an elementalist getting a 5 second ICD on the exact same trait that mesmers have a 10 second ICD on.

Better yourself.

(edited by Sebrent.3625)

in Mesmer

Indrea.7803

Yes, they sound powerfull…but on the paper: sure, in a celestial build they are reallys strong abilities but if you play berserker and not with the classic 30/30 arcana water, they are worst than the Mesmer’s abilities: try it and tell me, as i said i play both but my main is Mesmer so i’m not biased at all.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

All you’ve given me is:

• My opinion is in berzerker without their classic meta build that is stacked in tournaments, they are worse than mesmers
  • Trust me

As someone who plays their mesmer far more than their elementalist, I too do better on my mesmer, go figure :-p

It still doesn’t give any concrete reasons why Mesmer warrants double the ICD for the same trait.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

I’ll give you combo fields and finishers. Boons, however … trust me, Thief’s got it worse than Mesmer. Luckily, they can snatch boons off of someone else.
Past that, I’d absolutely agree that DE and its overall necessity shag Mesmer over worse than anything vigor-related.

Thief has better access to fury and might stacks. You get 5 stacks of might per signet use+ signet mastery, fury when target gets below 50% health. Steal can be traited to give you and allies both might, fury, and swiftness as well. If you have a mesmer around in PvP, you just got access with steal to 10 seconds of every boon as well with Consume Plasma.

Meanwhile if mesmer wants might, he needs to dump traitpoints into grandmaster minor for shattered strength for a measly 3 stacks of might per shatter…. it’s pathetic. And virtually no access to fury, pitiful access to swiftness without using runes, and no real access to protection without gutting your damage by dumping points into Chaos line (toughness) and taking stealth utilities.

The only class worse off than a mesmer is necro in terms of boon access. Poor necros are a pinball to be bounced around with impunity.

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

@Zenith
We won’t even discuss Mesmer and might. I still think Shattered Strength should have been tried out at 2/illusion, if 3/per was too strong. Bunch of BS, that. But, my point is still valid. Fact is, (Elite Stabo), Swiftness, Might and Fury are about the only things a Thief can personally (without stealing) crap out. Mesmer can do more in general, but with lower stacks and/or durations.
Along with those lines, Illusionary Membrane getting ICD’d was a bloody eyesore, tbh.
Let alone what they did to Retal on Phants, or removing the initial Protection proc on Chaos Armor.

And, yes, Necro eats CC for freaking days … even with FitG being given a bit of a boost. Which is silly, considering their overall mobility and access to boons.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Elementalist — Renewing Stamina: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Renewing_Stamina

• 5s Vigor on-crit (really 5.5 since it requires 2 traits points that gives +10% boon duration)
  • 5s ICD

Assuming logic is in play by the devs, there are two things I think might warrant the difference.

1. The fact that renewing stamina is a major adept (2 pt cost) in contrast to the mesmer’s minor adept (1 pt cost). You have to choose renewing stamina over many other good adept traits, where if you go into dueling at all you get critical infusion for “free”.
  2. Deceptive evasion (4 pts) and evasive arcana (6 pts) need to be taken into account. To take DE you spend less trait points and thus have less uptime on the benefit of that trait. Vice versa, you spend more trait points on EA and thus are awarded more potential uptime on the benefit of that trait.

Believe me, as a mesmer main I’d love the vigor uptime we used to have but I get the variance in this case.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

Anyway, I suppose I should at least post something on-topic:

• The only theory I can give you for the difference in vigor-on-crit ICDs is that they (ANet) based this difference around health pools and potential defenses.
  • Ele has a good deal of active defense, Mesmer has that plus stealth to GTFO if a fight goes poorly. And, we also need to account for the ~5k hp difference between the two classes.
  • Another possible reasoning is they did this, to go along with the idea that a lot of Elementalist defense is from the fragton of Boons they can run around with.

Of course, trying to predict ANet logic is like trying to reason with HAL-9000 or Skynet … they do what they want, and the rest of our theories be cursed. /shrug

(edited by Advent.6193)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I didn’t like the nerf back then but considering that Renewing Stamina is a Major trait I’m fine with it. However, I’m curious what whould happen if Renewing Stamina was moved to Air.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

@skcamow.3527
@Advent.6193
Thanks for the logic and the laughs :-)

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

The reasoning for the nerf at the time by Anet was that they were trying to make adjustments to move away from permanent boon uptime (things like mes vigor on crit), the one caviaet being without popper investment (such as full boon duration line with appropriate runes and/or food etc)- “So if you want perma vigor or near to it, you’re gonna have to make an investment”.

Don’t ask me why eles didnt get the same treatment. Maybe balance. Maybe just overlooked.

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

Well ele sacrifices an actual slot for it. It competes with blasting staff for staff builds and final shielding or arcane mastery for other specs such as scepter builds (which have horrible sustain and need a lot extra protection against burst).

The problem to begin with was the whole idea that classes were dodging too much, and then we leave in other classes who dodge far more untouched. Apparently it was too much on mesmer and ranger so they nerfed their endurance regen traits, but meanwhile classes with far better mitigation/avoidance like thief and engineer stayed the same while warriors kept their signet endurance regen and traits for it untouched so several classes now dodge more (and in the case of warrior stances, oh what mesmers wouldn’t give for trololol immunity to conditions for such a ridiculous amount of time).

Ranger and mesmer have suffered thye same type of whine and resentment from the spvp crowd, they only see red when AI based classes are around so spirits were nerfed into irrelevance as were pets as were phantasms as were on clone death traits and so on goes the list…

in Mesmer

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I’d say the devs are not quite happy that they have certain classes as extra baggage. They’d probably be much happier if they would have to deal only with the “A list” of classes.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

@Zenith:
I think you just pointed out why it likely bother me so much … they nerfed it on Mesmer and Ranger. My babies :-(

I can understand the hate for evasion Thieves, but I’ve had this discussion with Thieves several times. What else do they have for defense besides Stealth and Evasion? Just blind. That’s not really sufficient.

It irks me when I see this on Elementalist because they have Evasion on some weapons, lots of Protection and Regeneration, several heals, several cleanses, awesome mobility … I’m hard-pressed to feel they need this. Heck, I love it when I dabble on my Elementalist, but it isn’t really necessary.

@serenke:

• So that would be GWEN in WvW?
  • In sPvP that’d roughly be Elementalist (again), Engineer, Thief, and Guard/Warrior (again with these two)
  • In PvE record runs, that’d be Elementalist (good in all game modes), Guard/Warrior (good in all game modes), Thief (everywhere but WvW zergs), and Mesmer (yay, 1 out of 3 … sometimes in sPvP though … just constantly looking out for the enemy Thief)

So you’re saying that ArenaNet would be happier if they just dropped Necromancers and Rangers? :-p I hope not … though less code is always easier.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

Psssh. I personally think that the concept of “dodging too much” on a supposedly “active” combat system is freaking ridiculous.
You want folk to dodge “less,” then kindly script less high-damage/OHKO bosses.
Otherwise, if you can’t stack-and-whack, then you’re going to dodge some of those hits.
Similar logic applies to any player combat (WvW or PvP) scenario. If you doubt you can sit there and trade blows with the other guy … what else is left for any intelligent
player to do?

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

You make a good point, Advent. I think its inline with what I was saying about Thieves.

I would be perfectly fine with the traits in question if the Mesmer’s trait had its ICD reduced to 5s like the Elementalist. If that’s still an issue given how the Elementalist trait is a Major Adept instead of a Minor Adept … give it something else to be “a little extra oomph”.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I really think they should never have trying to homogenize so many similar traits while ignoring other that are just as similar the traits should have been designed with the profession in mind kitten often it seem direct comparison between profession is frown upon.

But Anet seems to like to just go with broad generalized changes (possible for the amount of effect for the work hours spent)

You make a good point, Advent. I think its inline with what I was saying about Thieves.

I would be perfectly fine with the traits in question if the Mesmer’s trait had its ICD reduced to 5s like the Elementalist. If that’s still an issue given how the Elementalist trait is a Major Adept instead of a Minor Adept … give it something else to be “a little extra oomph”.

That really shouldn’t matter as Anet like to design things like this:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Geomancer%27s_Freedom

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dogged_March

Master major for elementalist, stronger verison of the same trait adapt major for warrior.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

(edited by Bran.7425)

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

You forgot the Engineer’s in the same boat as the Elementalist.

Engineer — Leg Mods — Master Major trait — 33% reduction Cripple/Chill/Immobilize

Elementalist — Geomancer’s Freedom — Master Major Trait — 33% reduction Cripple/Chill/Immobilize

Warrior — Dogged March — Adept Major Trait — 33% reduction Cripple/Chill/Immobilize and gain Regeneration when any of them are applied to you

This is another good one that probably deserves its own thread … why exactly is it an Adept instead of Master and does more … not like Adrenal Health and Healing Signet aren’t already giving a solid HoT even without healing power.

Related to this is also the fact that this trait is given to classes that already have an immense amount of mobility. Why can’t us slower classes without easy access to perma-swiftness and weapon skills that let us leap across the map get something like this?

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

It’s a Major trait. That’s why the ICD is smaller.

in Mesmer

Bran.7425

It’s a Major trait. That’s why the ICD is smaller.

I think the problem is that while the investment on paper is higher they are unlikely not to be placing point in that tree so with the importance of endurance/dodge the trait is a bit strong as adept.

My stance on traits are they should have looked the just the profession as a whole before making broad changes, either that or just finish homogenizing everything else.as they are not exactly good at different, but equal.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Aye Bran, which is part of my beef with why Mesmer is the one that got the higher ICD. We already have less access to Vigor and passive endurance regeneration. Elementalist has access to both in spades … not to mention the already previously mentioned abundance of other defensive boons.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Bran.7425

The supposed idea was to reduce low investment access to vigor/endurance recovery, but they also missed the passive on signet of stamina.

As for the higher ICD it is identical to the guardian trait vigorous precision.

The issue with the elementalist is they may never really be balanced without a complete redesign, the profession is basically in a weird place on edge of garbage and godhood, and the adjustment keep it leaning towards one or the other.

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

Ain’t that the truth. Hell, I remember how bad my Ele had it when ANet nerf-a-thonned Elementalists to get rid of the original D/D spec. What ANet didn’t realize then, is exactly what you’ve pointed out, Bran. Tweak that class too far in either direction, things go completely pear-shaped.
(Of course, that (also) didn’t stop ANet from the whole Dhuumfire debacle, and shagging Necros dirty for months afterward, either … meh.)

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

Can we please stop with this “eles have all these boons in spades” talk as it is only partially true. Yes, they can have high protection, regen and vigor uptime but it requires a number of traits to keep it up. By my count it requires a major (possibly 2) master and 3 major adept traits to get constant of all 3 as well as utilising combo fields, leaps and timing of auras.

You could run a fresh air build like that but chances are you’d be picking up more omfg save me traits like final shielding and you can’t choose both vigor on crit and final shielding otherwise you miss out on elemental attunement.

Yes Mesmer has been nerfed too much but I still stand by my original statement. The problem is deceptive evasion requiring dodges and thus vigor to generate clones not the vigor uptime. Come up with a non OP on demand clone generator trait which doesn’t need dodges and you may not miss vigor on crit.

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Can we please stop with this “eles have all these boons in spades” talk as it is only partially true. Yes, they can have high protection, regen and vigor uptime but it requires a number of traits to keep it up. By my count it requires a major (possibly 2) master and 3 major adept traits to get constant of all 3 as well as utilising combo fields, leaps and timing of auras.

You could run a fresh air build like that but chances are you’d be picking up more omfg save me traits like final shielding and you can’t choose both vigor on crit and final shielding otherwise you miss out on elemental attunement.

Yes Mesmer has been nerfed too much but I still stand by my original statement. The problem is deceptive evasion requiring dodges and thus vigor to generate clones not the vigor uptime. Come up with a non OP on demand clone generator trait which doesn’t need dodges and you may not miss vigor on crit.

Ele (d/d cele) is broken as hell though, no whining here, just #realtalk.
And i disagree with your statement with the partially being true.

Eles also have high might uptime from fire fields and blast finishers they have, Pair that up with battle sigils or hoelbrak runes.

Armor of earth gives you prot stab with both 7.5 seconds. Traited with an adept major trait.

Thats only 1 trait. now pair that with elemental attunement.

2 traits with high boon uptime, + cele stats (Makes you utilize all pros of those boons)

But again this is D/D ele only

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Posted by: Scapegoat.6215

Scapegoat.6215

Just gonna throw this out there:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vigorous_Revelation

That trait will allow permanent vigor on a Mes, especially when combined with Deceptive Evasion.

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

Just gonna throw this out there:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vigorous_Revelation

That trait will allow permanent vigor on a Mes, especially when combined with Deceptive Evasion.

What does DE have to do with it? And its not perma in a sense since you wont be using shatters just for vigor.

in Mesmer

Scapegoat.6215

It’s up to 15 seconds per shatter, not including Illusionary Persona or w/e it’s called, without an ICD. DE allows faster spawning of clones, and in order to get DE you also will have the Vigor on crit trait. Basically it just allows you to get more illusions out faster, which will in turn make it a lot easier for the permanent up time.

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

It’s up to 15 seconds per shatter, not including Illusionary Persona or w/e it’s called, without an ICD. DE allows faster spawning of clones, and in order to get DE you also will have the Vigor on crit trait. Basically it just allows you to get more illusions out faster, which will in turn make it a lot easier for the permanent up time.

The trait only procs per shatter, illusions and IP do not count. So even if you have 3 illusions out, the trait will only give 5 seconds of vigor per shatter

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

in Mesmer

Scapegoat.6215

It seems you are correct just tested it myself to confirm, didn’t notice that before..

In any case I do have permanent vigor up time on my mes utilizing both of those vigor traits, granted it might not be as easy to maintain, it is still possible.

While I haven’t tested it it may very well be possible to maintain permanent vigor using Vigorous Revelation alone.

(edited by Scapegoat.6215)

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

It seems you are correct just tested it myself to confirm, didn’t notice that before..

In any case I do have permanent vigor up time on my mes utilizing both of those vigor traits, granted it might not be as easy to maintain, it is still possible.

Yeap i do agree, but the hard part of it is when to shatter for defense or for offense to make the trait extremely effecient

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

Ele (d/d cele) is broken as hell though, no whining here, just #realtalk.
And i disagree with your statement with the partially being true.

Eles also have high might uptime from fire fields and blast finishers they have, Pair that up with battle sigils or hoelbrak runes.

Armor of earth gives you prot stab with both 7.5 seconds. Traited with an adept major trait.

Thats only 1 trait. now pair that with elemental attunement.

2 traits with high boon uptime, + cele stats (Makes you utilize all pros of those boons)

But again this is D/D ele only

Blasting fire fields is open to all to do if they have blast finishers. The D/D ele has only 3 blasts (4 if you count evasive arcana in earth) for 12 might. Accounting for max uptime of those blasts and fire fields you can sustain 15 might however your combat will be severely affected. With str runes, str sigil etc yeah you can sit at 25. Other classes are just as capable in other ways, even Mesmer can get a decent level of might through traits depending on build and weapons.

Armour of earth has a 10% uptime (high 75s base CD) on prot and stab, hardly spamming and people use it for the stab usually, not the protection, though it is nice. The trait is nice but only extends it to 20% uptime with little control about it activating when you want. Most people pick up the auras apply protection trait.

Elemental attunement is 5s base duration on boons, with 6 in arcana you get 6.5s and the CD on attune nets being 11.5s if I remember. Yes high uptime but remember they also have the lowest health and armour with no stealth and only 1 teleport which has a 10s longer CD than blink. Without that they would be as bad as mesmer there’s a reason why corrupt boon makes eles run. I really wouldn’t touch the amount of protection an ele can get in that spec as it is a bunker spec.

But let’s be constructive.
Things I’d like to see is maybe an extra second on all these random boons, maybe 2s so they last a bit longer.

I’d like to see either deceptive evasion changed or adding something like clones grant 3s vigor to nearby allies (or just the mesmer) on death.

I’d also like to see clones having the same boons as you when they’re generated or at least show them having the same boons/conditions so you can hide better.

2 might on each clone/phantasm shattered instead of 1 with the trait.

Better blast finishers for mesmer, not a lot, but more than 1 hard to time blast.

An extra something to GS auto attack so clones serve a purpose like on other weapons. Perhaps a short duration cripple (0.5-1s) on the last hit.

I’d also like something done with how easy it is to cleave clones down, it’s so trivial for most classes even thief now dagger got a small cleave.

(edited by apharma.3741)

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

You make some good points, but I’m going to nitpick some things … I agree with several others.

Blasting fire fields is open to all to do if they have blast finishers. The D/D ele has only 3 blasts (4 if you count evasive arcana in earth) for 12 might.[/quote]
Shall we compare this to the number of blast finishers available to other classes? Mesmers in particular are strapped for blast finishers … not to mention we don’t drop fire fields so we can’t get Might. Our Chaos Armor from Ethereal fields got nerfed because … reasons.

Accounting for max uptime of those blasts and fire fields you can sustain 15 might however your combat will be severely affected. With str runes, str sigil etc yeah you can sit at 25. Other classes are just as capable in other ways, even Mesmer can get a decent level of might through traits depending on build and weapons.

Just watching the few pros playing Mesmer in tournaments, they get around 15 Might on their own and for not nearly the same up-time as the Elementalist. 25 – 15 = 10. 10 Might is a big difference.

Regarding protection and other boons, you mention (bold added by me) …

Elemental attunement is 5s base duration on boons, with 6 in arcana you get 6.5s and the CD on attune nets being 11.5s if I remember. Yes high uptime but remember they also have the lowest health and armour with no stealth and only 1 teleport which has a 10s longer CD than blink. Without that they would be as bad as mesmer there’s a reason why corrupt boon makes eles run.

Is that such a bad place to be?
Many of our problems are due to interactions with other mechanics … particularly our class mechanic with other mechanics. Elementalists wouldn’t have that issue. Also, in Mesmers’ current state, we have a few pros running Mesmer in tournaments. It’s not doubled up on almost every (if not every) pro team like Elementalist <_<

I really wouldn’t touch the amount of protection an ele can get in that spec as it is a bunker spec.

A bunker spec with damage comparable to non-glass damage specs and support rivaling various support specs.

But let’s be constructive.
Things I’d like to see is maybe an extra second on all these random boons, maybe 2s so they last a bit longer.

I assume you mean Mesmer boons. This could work, but for things like Illusionary Membrane I don’t think it’s sufficient.

I’d like to see either deceptive evasion changed or adding something like clones grant 3s vigor to nearby allies (or just the mesmer) on death.

Depending on the placement of this trait, I could see myself loving it.

I’d also like to see clones having the same boons as you when they’re generated or at least show them having the same boons/conditions so you can hide better.

Heck yes. When dueling with various people, every one of them just tabs through my clones till they get the guy with some boon/mantras/etc. on him. This is particularly annoying when they are a class with abilities that auto-turn them and leap them into my face (I’m looking at you Thieves!).

2 might on each clone/phantasm shattered instead of 1 with the trait.

Yes please.

Better blast finishers for mesmer, not a lot, but more than 1 hard to time blast.

Meh. Maybe. I’d prefer they un-nerf my Chaos Armor so leaping/blasting through my Ethereal fields does more for me. Otherwise we’re just blasting more in our Light/Ethereal fields for “meh” results. I actually prefer leaping through Light fields over blasting them.

An extra something to GS auto attack so clones serve a purpose like on other weapons. Perhaps a short duration cripple (0.5-1s) on the last hit.

Their attack speed allows them to inflict bleeds pretty well with a good crit chance on the build, but it wouldn’t hurt for them to have something nice.

I’d also like something done with how easy it is to cleave clones down, it’s so trivial for most classes even thief now dagger got a small cleave.

Aye :-(
This is why I love our on-clone-death traits. Sadly, I have to invest heavily in them which does admittedly leave gaps elsewhere.

I’ve often wondered if it would be so bad if our Mesmer clones were just invulnerable.

Better yourself.