Class action lawsuit vs iMage bolt speed?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I know there’s a lot of things we can do bring up regarding iMage, but it’s pretty sad when a walking target can counter the phantasm. Case in point, here’s a Yak going for a stroll.

There’s balance, and then there’s just bad design. The dev response in the bug thread about iMage projectiles missing was that it was intended. If missing a walking target is an intended feature of the iMage, Anet needs to up their dev teams game.

This needs some attention.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Adam.2145

Adam.2145

+1 to this needing some attention

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Heh, that is silly and needs something done.

While they’re at it, they could tweak scepter auto as well.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

Mesmer is so broken that….. no words…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

Inb4 working as intended.

Pumpkin – Mag

in Mesmer

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

That’s the saddest thing I’ve seen in GW2

Love the grunt of effort from it as well. Jeez.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

That’s the saddest thing I’ve seen in GW2

Love the grunt of effort from it as well. Jeez.

Poor thing – it’s really putting in a lot of effort!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dei Veien.2456

Dei Veien.2456

The good thing is that image never gives up, watch it chase that yak down in an attempt to be proven not a complete disgrace to the phantasms.

Order of Intoxication [PSY]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

Maybe he’s just pretending all his effort. If someday the iMage starts to hit enemies reliably, people will notice that he’s not only the worst phantasm, but one of the worst skills from mesmer and probably one of the worst weapon skills in the game.

Pumpkin – Mag

in Mesmer

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

I use iMage for shatter fodder. It technically has less use that a clone since it doesn’t look like my character AND does not reliably do anything useful outside of shattering.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

It’s not just iMage.

Sometimes when I summon the iZerker on a running target, he somtimes is “out of range” and follows the target.

I also don’t get, why ranger pets seem to have a faster speed than my Character, so kiting them isn’t that easy, but on the other hand, we have this awfull phantasm design.

They should make it so that the Phant’s always try to stay in range, not only when they are about to use their skills.

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

I also don’t get, why ranger pets seem to have a faster speed than my Character, so kiting them isn’t that easy, but on the other hand, we have this awfull phantasm design.

Just fyi, ranger pets can be traited for a 30% speed boost, although i doubt many rangers use that trait, its quite underwhelming.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

… but we get Dev attention for theoretical GS skills. Go figure.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

A yak could probably “juke” a warlock’s projectile too xD

How to counter mesmers: aggressively stroll away from them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Snoxx.7943

Snoxx.7943

Sometimes I had the impression, my iWarlock misses on moving targets.

Well, seems it was not just an impression …

(And in my current build, where I use both staff and torch, I deliberately AVOID casting iMage and iWarlock. I did that even before watching the video above, but now I know for sure I’m doing the right thing.)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaurniven.2065

Xaurniven.2065

Wow…..lol +1 indeed to this

Fury By Furry |Given Fury | Furiously Small | Furiously Risen | Serayath

[RaW] Sassari – Commander

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

iWarlock anyone?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

… but we get Dev attention for theoretical GS skills. Go figure.

The amount of deep-seated “Mesmer Confusion”-scare in the dev team is quite noticeable, IMO.
They have no qualms adding runes which – just the runes – are better than all Confusion we can produce combined on Engineers and Warriors, but Mesmers got to have 3s lasting Confusion, low stacks and long CDs. Because “Confusion is easily overpowered”! :P

Once upon a time, that may have been true. Nowadays, the kings of Confusion are Engineers, followed by Warriors. Distant third place, us.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Staff clones behave the same way when they follow an enemy. They move to the most far away distance possible, stop and attack instead of firing at the estimated position. This should be an easy fix – if Devs want to fix it. Simply let the illusions behave like some mobs already do, like stone spitting worms for example: when you are strafing, they do not fire at your current position but at your expected position in two seconds. One can still avoid the attack by either dodging or changing the direction while the stone/projectile is approaching.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Thats a different issue.
Issue 1 is the range. If a phantasm like iMage has an attack that only has 1200 range and is fired at 1200 range, the target has to make one step and the projectile disappears at 1201 range before it hits (theory).
Issue 2 is the homing / slow moving / skillshot projectile. By simply spamming left/right/left/right you will NEVER get hit by iWarlock for example. It shoots where you will move and therefore never hits. Then the iMage seems to have a “shoot where it is” skill in the vid. I don’t think thats true, but I guess he won’t aim out of his range where the enemy will move to. So he uses the farest possible “will move there” location wich is similar with the max range in general. He would hit if he would move closer to 1000 range and the bolt flies 1200 far.

Imo iDisenchanter, iMage and iWarlock should have homing shots. It’s easy to dodge those skills, same as iSwordsman or iZerker. However letting them miss all the time is extremly frustrating, even in PvE when mobs run and stop for an attack and the 20k iWarlock bolt flies into the void.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

I actually quite like it. Having 3 iMages up on a thief insures that whenever they reappear they cant burst.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroathiest.4168

Pyroathiest.4168

I actually quite like it. Having 3 iMages up on a thief insures that whenever they reappear they cant burst.

…what?

Having 3 iMages up on a thief ensures that whenever they reappear…nothing happens.

Having 3 iSwordsmen up on a thief ensures that whenever they reappear…they die.

See the difference?

in Mesmer

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

Yeah. Swordsman can half a burst thief in one hit. An iMage will leave some condy on the thief while he’s stomping you.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

I like iMage. It’s an extra shatter fodder that MAYBE does something useful before being shattered.

I don’t want them to look at it. I want ANet to stay far far away from it. iWarden still has nightmares after they mutilated him. No wonder the poor guy just runs in circles.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

I don’t think the answer is buffing iMage. I think the better balance move would be to nerf Yaks mobility and evasion tactics.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

I don’t think the answer is buffing iMage. I think the better balance move would be to nerf Yaks mobility and evasion tactics.

Thats right, Yaks should be scared to stone and wet themselves whenever iMage is summoned.
Maybe an AoE Stun for 2s within 1200 radius whenever u use iMage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

Thats right, Yaks should be scared to stone and wet themselves whenever iMage is summoned.
Maybe an AoE Stun for 2s within 1200 radius whenever u use iMage.

Or better, making it have a pulsing effect for 4 seconds considering Yaks can obviously break stuns.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Thats a different issue.
Issue 1 is the range. If a phantasm like iMage has an attack that only has 1200 range and is fired at 1200 range, the target has to make one step and the projectile disappears at 1201 range before it hits (theory).
Issue 2 is the homing / slow moving / skillshot projectile. By simply spamming left/right/left/right you will NEVER get hit by iWarlock for example. It shoots where you will move and therefore never hits. Then the iMage seems to have a “shoot where it is” skill in the vid. I don’t think thats true, but I guess he won’t aim out of his range where the enemy will move to. So he uses the farest possible “will move there” location wich is similar with the max range in general. He would hit if he would move closer to 1000 range and the bolt flies 1200 far.

Imo iDisenchanter, iMage and iWarlock should have homing shots. It’s easy to dodge those skills, same as iSwordsman or iZerker. However letting them miss all the time is extremly frustrating, even in PvE when mobs run and stop for an attack and the 20k iWarlock bolt flies into the void.

It seems Rangers have this same problem with their pets. The pets will run up to the target, stopping at whatever their max attack range is. This is often dramatically countered by the target taking one step back.

While Phantasms seem to suffer the same problems as Ranger pets it’s actually even worse since Ranger pets do in fact move faster than the player, even untraited. As far as I’ve been able to tell Phantasms move at the same speed as the Mesmer. But they unfortunately stop as soon as they are at max attack range.

Solution? Hmm… (scratches head) maybe have them start attacking closer to the target? Maybe that’s just crazy talk.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized that last part sounded like I was snarkily advising to just cast the phantasms closer to the target. What I meant was for ArenaNet to program them so that they stop and attack inside their max range, far enough in so that the target can’t simply walk slowly out of range.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

(edited by Wasbunny.6531)

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Solution? Change the Projectile Into A Purple Laser.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Solution is to make projectiles home in on target and always connect as long as enemy was within range at the time projectile was cast, unless enemy used a teleport skill to get away.

in Mesmer

Wasbunny.6531

Thing I was pointing out was that if a phantasm stops at say 600 range (with a 600 range attack) and the attack itself takes any time at all to cast and to travel, if the target moves to a range of 601 it will miss. I don’t think instant casting phantasms is really on the table.

I think the solution would be to program the phantasms to start their attacks within the attack range. For example the phantasm starts attacking at 400 so even if walking away the target will be hit. They also need to travel slightly faster than an unbuffed player/mob walking away.

EDIT: And yeah seriously, why not have all the projectiles home to their targets if within range? Just seems to make sense. Although I was glad I could just wiggle back and forth to avoid Liadri’s staff attacks.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

I like this solution.

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raunchy.6891

Raunchy.6891

I think the solution would be to program the phantasms to start their attacks within the attack range. For example the phantasm starts attacking at 400 so even if walking away the target will be hit.

What about in pve where you want your phantasm to be at max range? This could result in staff phantasm being completely useless in pve scenarios.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

A swarm of pink butterflies, in my opinion!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dracatis.1908

Dracatis.1908

Sad video is sad.

If they have to start attacks at a closer range they have to move more, which is good since it looks more like a real player. Remember we are theatrical, deception at it’s best, sure their more vulnerable getting close but they aren’t just there for DPS, they are you and you don’t just try to attack at max range(unless you are welding GS over a cliff).

“We are the makers of the music, we are the dreamers of the dream”
-Willy Wonka(Gene Wilder)

in Mesmer

Wasbunny.6531

I think the solution would be to program the phantasms to start their attacks within the attack range. For example the phantasm starts attacking at 400 so even if walking away the target will be hit.

What about in pve where you want your phantasm to be at max range? This could result in staff phantasm being completely useless in pve scenarios.

I see your point. Since PvE mobs don’t run away for the most part possibly starting their attack at like 590 for a 600 max attack range. Whatever the numbers work out to when calculating the distance a mob/player could walk away at & the time the Phantasm takes to cast it’s ability plus the time for the projectile to travel the distance to the target.

The point being I guess just not having them stop at exactly max range to initiate the attack animation, thus one step backwards and the attack misses.

in Mesmer

Raunchy.6891

I see your point. Since PvE mobs don’t run away for the most part possibly starting their attack at like 590 for a 600 max attack range. Whatever the numbers work out to when calculating the distance a mob/player could walk away at & the time the Phantasm takes to cast it’s ability plus the time for the projectile to travel the distance to the target.

The point being I guess just not having them stop at exactly max range to initiate the attack animation, thus one step backwards and the attack misses.

I just think if the animation goes off it should hit you unless you LoS it. Since we aren’t in control of when the phantasms attack, this would be the best way to handle it.

in Mesmer

Wasbunny.6531

I just think if the animation goes off it should hit you unless you LoS it. Since we aren’t in control of when the phantasms attack, this would be the best way to handle it.

That would eliminate range restrictions entirely so is not really a workable solution.

Although it would be pretty funny seeing my iMage hitting an enemy dolyak from atop my keep’s walls.

EDIT: Oh wait I see what you’re saying. Remove the range restrictions on projectiles if successfully fired by the phantasm. But still, really unlimited range? And how would the bounces work?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

That video is gold! Let’s be honest, this is broken. Though, PU clone builds are equally broken. Just that PU is the polar opposite of this.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Mesmer

Raunchy.6891

That would eliminate range restrictions entirely so is not really a workable solution.

Although it would be pretty funny seeing my iMage hitting an enemy dolyak from atop my keep’s walls.

EDIT: Oh wait I see what you’re saying. Remove the range restrictions on projectiles if successfully fired by the phantasm. But still, really unlimited range? And how would the bounces work?

I’m not saying remove them. I’m saying if the phantasm is in range to attack, and can fire that attack before the person is out of range, the projectile should still be able to hit that person unless they LoS the projectile with a wall or terrain.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

Also someone mentioned turning the projectile into the one the trident phant/illusion uses would be nice.

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.