Couple of condition defense questions

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’m thinking about a new build and have a couple questions.

- Does the 3% damage reduction per illusion for illusionary defense apply to conditions?

- Do any of the invulnerabilities (either Blurred Frenzy or Distortion) stop the damage from a condition tick?

- If Sigil of Generosity procs when you don’t have any conditions on you, what happens? Does it trigger the cooldown or it can only proc when you do have a condition?

Thx much!

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Forgot two more related questions
- Does aegis ever stop condition damage?
- Does the 33% damage reduction from protection apply to condition damage ticks?

Thx

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

Conditions are not attacks. Invulnerability and block work only on attacks, so if you have conditions on you, you’ll get the damage even with BF or aegis.

Afaik, protection and illusionnary defense works the same (only on direct attacks), but don’t take my word for it. I don’t think there is anything in the game that reduce condition damages, short of cleansing them entirely, but I might be mistaken.

As for the sigil, I don’t have the slightest idea, sorry.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ExZee.8109

ExZee.8109

1. no
2. no
3. former
4. no
5. no

There’s only one thing you really need to defend against condition damage and it’s so OP it’s not even funny.

nomnoms

Take no burning damage from any Winds of Chaos ever, for example. Makes a condition Mesmer fly like a butterfly and sting like one too.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

1. no
2. no
3. former
4. no
5. no

There’s only one thing you really need to defend against condition damage and it’s so OP it’s not even funny.

nomnoms

Take no burning damage from any Winds of Chaos ever, for example. Makes a condition Mesmer fly like a butterfly and sting like one too.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rare_Veggie_Pizza

^If I’m using this I know I’ll be built for dealing condition damage. Cond builds naturally get higher defensive stats through gear as well so no need for defensive food buffs.

If I run soup I don’t have control over if my opponent is using direct or condition damage so it may do little to nothing to help me outside of the vit.

Just sayin’…

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Mesmer

Posted by: ExZee.8109

ExZee.8109

^If I’m using this I know I’ll be built for dealing condition damage. Cond builds naturally get higher defensive stats through gear as well so no need for defensive food buffs.

If I run soup I don’t have control over if my opponent is using direct or condition damage so it may do little to nothing to help me outside of the vit.

Just sayin’…

Didn’t think it through before posting, did ya?

The “defensive stat” (toughness and armor) you’re talking about has nothing to do with “defensive food buffs” (-% condition duration). Unless you think armor reduces condition damage in which case you should play the game a little more before posting. Since we’re also limited to the Mesmers it’s a well known fact that a high toughness condition Mesmer’s greatest weakness is conditions. Rare Veggie Pizza might be better in 1v1 or against power builds but in 1vX or against other condition builds Lemongrass wins hands down.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Take it from a Condition Mesmer. ExZee is absolutely correct, that Conditions tend to be our weakness, overall. Which is pretty frigging ironic. Here’s why: A straight Rabid build (or Rabid with Rampager weapons, like myself) has nice durability (via Toughness/Armour stat) but low Vit/Health. Vit/Health is the major bulwark against Condition damage, since with it, you can tank Condition damage for a longer period of time. As such, I roll with the Lemongrass and either Null Field or Arcane Thievery.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Just sayin’…

Didn’t think it through before posting, did ya?

The “defensive stat” (toughness and armor) you’re talking about has nothing to do with “defensive food buffs” (-% condition duration). Unless you think armor reduces condition damage in which case you should play the game a little more before posting. Since we’re also limited to the Mesmers it’s a well known fact that a high toughness condition Mesmer’s greatest weakness is conditions. Rare Veggie Pizza might be better in 1v1 or against power builds but in 1vX or against other condition builds Lemongrass wins hands down.

You missed the point of my post. It was to illustrate that the food isn’t OP at all. There is even a 100% counter to it.

Tough =/= anti cond dmg, vit does. At the least there are no exotic rabid jewels so carrion jewels should go into your jewelry giving you 17k hp in WvW. I don’t gear my mes in ascended as they bug out/break/nerf things on mes too often… my guard on the other hand is very stable, so I put ascended on him.

I’m used to having a lower hp pool on my other characters so fighting condition builds with 17k+ hp & null feild is np for me, so when cond built I do run pizzas. Again… because I KNOW it’ll fully benefit me vs the soup which I don’t know if it’ll help outside of the vit gain.

Even if I’m dong a shatter build I’ll run pre/crit dmg food for the same reason and just leave cond dmg as a weakness vs risk having the food I’m using being near worthless outside of the vit (which doesn’t help much when you’re in a squishy shatter build).

Learning to dodge well is also key to avoiding damage of any sort… which I see many players just spam randomly without any real reason. If you take the time and learn the animations to the specific skills it’ll help a TON as far as avoiding damage entirely vs trying to mitigate it after.

Tough = anti non-cond damage
Vit = anti cond
Vigor (as well as mes’s other actives) = best defenses

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sinaya.4201

Sinaya.4201

Also stacks with the non noms.

Crystal Desert

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

@Aberrant: Actually, it’s not a 100% counter, due to how the mechanic works.

If you apply a 10 second bleed with +40% condition duration, your bleed will now have a duration of 14 seconds.

Now, that bleed is applied to someone that has -40% condition duration. The calculation takes 40% of the new 14 second duration, or 5.6 seconds, and lowers it by that much, ultimately resulting in a net reduction in duration.

Additionally, remember that all conditions are affected by this. Immobilize, chill, cripple, traditionally extremely dangerous wvw disables can be vastly reduced in power with the soup.

That being said, one can easily switch foods mid-fight. Carry both, and if you run into a condition heavy situation, simply use the -40% food, and use the +40% food otherwise.